PDA

View Full Version : No More Blue Oval, Sort Of?

NismoZ
01-31-07, 11:51 AM
If Ford owns a 33% interest in Mazda and Mazda is actually profitable with money to invest in promotion of it's products couldn't that include "The ChampCar World Series Powered By Mazda"? IF that happened (some are saying CC is currently in negotiations with Mazda) would Champcars be powered by a non-V8 engine in the near future or would Mazda perhaps enter the low end luxury market with their own (Ford?) V-8? I can't believe the DP01 could easily be adapted to a 4 or 6 and I can't understand why Mazda would even want to market a V-8 during these times.:confused: I'd still MUCH rather see CC partner with Mazda than Hyundai or Kia.

NismoZ
01-31-07, 12:00 PM
I suppose Mazda could simply use the CC series as a platform for advertizing with their logo on every car, maybe a "ZOOM ZOOM" here and there, promote MazdaSpeed, RX-8 pace cars or a spec companion series of some sort, duh, Spec Miata? My guess is they could do more with/for CC for less than Ford was doing it and get more out of it besides. If we are to believe the Ford contribution recently was actually quite small then Mazda might be able to get a heck of a deal.:) Hmmm...what would the "Mazda Safety Team" drive?:confused:

extramundane
01-31-07, 12:07 PM
Champ Car World Series Powered by a broke-ass 3-Rotor! :gomer:

pferrf1
01-31-07, 12:12 PM
If Ford owns a 33% interest in Mazda and Mazda is actually profitable with money to invest in promotion of it's products couldn't that include "The ChampCar World Series Powered By Mazda"? IF that happened (some are saying CC is currently in negotiations with Mazda) would Champcars be powered by a non-V8 engine in the near future or would Mazda perhaps enter the low end luxury market with their own (Ford?) V-8? I can't believe the DP01 could easily be adapted to a 4 or 6 and I can't understand why Mazda would even want to market a V-8 during these times.:confused: I'd still MUCH rather see CC partner with Mazda than Kia!

More and more these days, a direct link between what's in the race car and the street car is irrelevant. Its all about two things - image and sponsorship activation to a broad audience.

If CCWS can deliver a buzz around the Mazda brand every time the 'circus comes to town', and associate a 'performance' image with the brand - then that is what they are looking for. It really doesn't matter that they don't sell a v-8. If there are Mazda enthusiasts out there who get hung up on that - then they can look to sports cars. In any event, those enthusiats are already sold on Mazda anyway.

NismoZ
01-31-07, 12:13 PM
No, ex, I don't see that but they can certainly use CC to promote it if they so choose. There has been talk of a new 2 seat RX-7 that might be a nice fit in such a deal. Don't know if it'd be a rotary.

Accipiter
01-31-07, 12:23 PM
As far as I remember, there has been little or no attempt to equate the cosworth V8 with anything that Ford used on the road, so I don't see why Mazda would need to. Hell, Honda has been running V8s in American racing for years without ever having one in their cars.

NismoZ
01-31-07, 12:35 PM
Good, I was hoping answers would go like that. Was just wondering how the criticism might shape up if Mazda IS the manufacturer brought on board. I'd really like to see it given only those 3 other choices. Still think KK should get his business buddies to kick in and just buy Ford's 33% interest!:D

Insomniac
01-31-07, 12:58 PM
If we are to believe the Ford contribution recently was actually quite small then Mazda might be able to get a heck of a deal.:)

When they're in, their investment is huge. When you lose them, it wasn't much of a loss. Don't you know that's how it works? :)

Insomniac
01-31-07, 12:59 PM
Ohhh, and I don't see why they have to put a V8 in a car. I mean, even if they did, it wouldn't be the same as the one in a ChampCar. Just need the perception.

NismoZ
01-31-07, 01:03 PM
Yes, but the mourning period (if there ever was one) is over and I'd like to believe nothing has been lost and a suitable partner can be found to help move the series forward.

Cam
01-31-07, 01:10 PM
Champ Car World Series Powered by a broke-ass 3-Rotor! :gomer:

Whining wankels. :p

pchall
01-31-07, 02:20 PM
Ohhh, and I don't see why they have to put a V8 in a car. I mean, even if they did, it wouldn't be the same as the one in a ChampCar. Just need the perception.

Who wouldn't want a Miata with a 2.65l twin turbo V8?

I'm still thinking Nissan, though.

Insomniac
01-31-07, 02:23 PM
Who wouldn't want a Miata with a 2.65l twin turbo V8?

I'm still thinking Nissan, though.

Me. I still think a Miata is a power wheels. :)

devilmaster
01-31-07, 03:08 PM
I tried a Miata once a few years back at the NAIAS...

As I sat in it, I realized what driving enthusiats talk about 'being one with the car'

had a couple beers with those firefighters after their shift was over too. :thumbup:

RARules
01-31-07, 10:01 PM
At Road America last year, they were running the ~"Miata Pro Series" or similar the same day as Champ Cars and Atlantics. Mazda claims (and I'd imagine is correct) that more Mazdas race (amateur? professionally?) every weekend than any other auto manaufacturer.

I bought a 2006 MX5 Miata this last summer and it is simply a blast to drive. It really is a "driver one with car" kind of experience. Fun, respectable, but *not* expensive.

I would think that Mazda - with it's "Zoom Zoom Live" promotions around the country - would be a natural for Champ Car sponsorship. I can't think of many better fits.

Sean O'Gorman
01-31-07, 10:21 PM
Spec Pinata alone probably accounts for more race cars than all the other makes, there are lots of those little things crashing at SCCA, NASA events every weekend.

BTW, the winner of the Road America round of the MX-5 Cup, came from autocrossing. Very talented driver. :thumbup:

trauma1
02-01-07, 11:36 AM
why does KK take 2 steps forward and 3 back this minardi 2 seater deal is BS