PDA

View Full Version : Assorted Gomer Hi-Lites and Ruminations

SurfaceUnits
01-31-07, 04:54 AM
Castronevers wants to be Juan:
Castroneves expects Juan Pablo Montoya's experience in stock cars "to be a lot of fun" and says he'd like to switch gears to NASCAR in a few years

Calls ftg a child: "stop acting like children and put their differences aside" for the good of open wheel racing.

Bruton Smith auditions for State Department Post:
To a German reporter who told Smith he was from Frankfurt, Smith replied, "I wasn't there for the bombing, but I've been there."

When asked why the France/ISC Staten Island track folly failed after $100 million was sunk into the project:
"We did have discussions towards the tail end of the venture, but not from the get-go. There were overtures about well maybe we could do it together, but I didn't want to go there. Tony Soprano lives near there." Smith said the following day that he expected a project of that magnitude to take at least 10 years, adding, "Sometimes you get lesser sentences for murder."

Saving IROC
IROC is currently sans sponsorship and at this late date the earliest fans might see the tour is at Texas Motor Speedway. IROC officials have not given up on the possibility of racing on dirt. The venue? Eldora Speedway owned by none other than last year's IROC champ Tony Stewart...

-- Kevin Harvick, on Teresa Earnhardt...not literally
"It's hard when you have what I call a deadbeat owner that doesn't come to the racetrack."

The Christopher Daniel Gay saga has all the elements of a classic redneck ballad: He escaped from prison, stole Crystal Gayle's tour bus, drove it to a racetrack to pick up two-time NASCAR champ Tony Stewart then was picked up again in a stolen Wal-Mart tractor-trailer. Folks, it doesn't get any better than that.