PDA

View Full Version : Doorknob's a fencesitter!

G.
01-29-07, 05:07 PM
Not that I blame him.

Q. The Toro Rosso option is finished?

RD: To be honest, until it is inked and dry in the States then there is still the chance, but I think it is going to be Champ Car. I would have loved to have race at Toro Rosso, because if you see this car then you get excited. It is goes as fast as it looks, then you think you are onto a winner. Anyway, I think it is important to start winning again and spray champagne. I think it's a possibility.

Q. And the focus is still very much F1?

RD:Yeah, I am happy not to have lost the link. Red Bull said straightaway after the last race, we would like to keep you onboard, but for 2007 we can only offer you this. On the other side it is lucky that the guys only have one year contracts, so if I do well and have a good year there is the possibility to get a fair chance for a seat. Last year there wasn't a fair chance as it was already signed (before he raced), but nevertheless I enjoyed it a lot.

Q. How much running will you get in Formula One this season?

RD:They could not clarify it specifically, and I understand why because if I would be the race driver I would be the same and ask for as much mileage as possible. But it is early days, but say Mark or David gets bored then I am there. If they call me in the States then I will be there, obviously not for a shakedown but for some good stuff. I am looking forward to combining it, I don't think it will be difficult driving both cars.

and now for the rest of the story (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56510)

NismoZ
01-29-07, 05:25 PM
And more to the story...It seems the engineer that Doornbos is referring to is Mike Cannon who was let go earlier by Forsythe along with a few others as you may recall. He is viewed as a big factor in AJ Almendinger's 5 victories in just 7 races and is now at Minardi. It also sounds like Philippe as well as Doornbos is thinking it might be better to be on Cannon's team than Tracy's. (?) FCR may have gone from offering the best ride in ChampCar to a team some would like to avoid. Am I not correct also in recalling Doornbos had the slowest test times at Sebring behind even the Pacific Coast newbies? Stoddart claims to be pleased, however.:confused:

NismoZ
01-29-07, 05:38 PM
Which begs answers to questions about FCR's cutbacks and why they would let such a successful engineer go. Was it all part of the Minardi to CC deal? Stoddart playing hardball demanding assistence in return for his big investment in the series? It just seemed Forsythe went from 4 cars in Atlantics and talk of 3 in CC to just 2 in Atlantics and leaving us wondering if PT will even have a teammate this season. I worry about how pissed Gerry might really be. Fingers crossed for a happy ending.

Ed_Severson
01-29-07, 05:44 PM
Which begs answers to questions about FCR's cutbacks and why they would let such a successful engineer go. Was it all part of the Minardi to CC deal? Stoddart playing hardball demanding assistence in return for his big investment in the series?

No. Tracy likes his engineer, Eric Zeto, very well, so he stayed. No sense in having two race engineers for one car, so Cannon went. He's worked at Herdez/CTE/HVM/Minardi/Team USA/Pick a Name This Week before when Dominguez was around, so he's got plenty of street cred with Wiggins and has worked with many of the crew before. They needed another engineer (or at least thought they might have, since they considered running three cars) and he needed a job, so here we are. No back room conspiracy theories necessary. :)

cameraman
01-29-07, 05:46 PM
killjoy

NismoZ
01-29-07, 06:04 PM
:D... but, but, you make it sound like the 1 car decision is final and that's just depressing! You realize all this is AJ's wife's fault and those ingrates at Red Bull! He means it, though. No money and PT rides alone.

emjaya
01-29-07, 07:15 PM
Stoddart claims to be pleased, however.:confused:

The Cheque did not bounce.:gomer: :D

jonovision_man
01-30-07, 09:27 AM
Pretty good deal for him if it works out, getting to run in a very competitive series like ChampCar while keeping his F1 chances very much alive.

It'd probably be more typical if not for the bloody ocean between here and there. :) European swing will be handy for him.

jono

NismoZ
01-31-07, 11:26 AM
Interesting how one young untried European F-1 hopeful appears to be gumming up the driver lineups in CC. Of course doubts as to Bourdais' whereabouts don't help any. Could it be a 1 for 1? Bourdais to F-1, Doornbos to N/H? Rahal to the McDonalds ride and Jos to Forsythe? Not sox removing stuff but would be easy to believe. The one difficult thing to believe with that scenerio is Carl Haas going racing with two rookies when he has always taken the best he could find. Doornbos' test times do little to instill confidence even if he believes Rahal is a can't miss prospect.

Spicoli
01-31-07, 11:40 AM
Interesting how one young untried European F-1 hopeful appears to be gumming up the driver lineups in CC. Of course doubts as to Bourdais' whereabouts don't help any. Could it be a 1 for 1? Bourdais to F-1, Doornbos to N/H? Rahal to the McDonalds ride and Jos to Forsythe? Not sox removing stuff but would be easy to believe. The one difficult thing to believe with that scenerio is Carl Haas going racing with two rookies when he has always taken the best he could find. Doornbos' test times do little to instill confidence even if he believes Rahal is a can't miss prospect.

yep.:irked:

NismoZ
02-08-07, 11:53 AM
So it seems Doornbos and Verstappen would both be welcome to bring their cash to ChampCar because of the new Euro events but some think they want the same ride. That seat of course is FCR which most believe has the best available opening. Verstappen may be playing hardball saying if he doesn't test with Forsythe by Houston he's out. Ego must be preventing a "shootout" format but I hope FCR's secret test has given them the information they need. I'd like to see both and their money but if either one balks at "taking 2nds" I hope Minardi runs a deserving CC regular anyway. Interesting to think Gerry might have 2 high rollers trying to outbid one another even as he threatens to run a single car because he has no sponsorship. My guess is it's Verstappen because it's been 5 years on TRUST money and this might be his last shot to spend it.

Hesketh
02-09-07, 07:19 AM
No. Tracy likes his engineer, Eric Zeto, very well, so he stayed. No sense in having two race engineers for one car, so Cannon went. He's worked at Herdez/CTE/HVM/Minardi/Team USA/Pick a Name This Week before when Dominguez was around, so he's got plenty of street cred with Wiggins and has worked with many of the crew before. They needed another engineer (or at least thought they might have, since they considered running three cars) and he needed a job, so here we are. No back room conspiracy theories necessary. :)

That's not exactly accurate. PT has dumped a lot of blame on Zeto, who has threatened to quit on many occasions because of the abuse. Cannon chose to leave FCR rather than work with PT. I don't blame him. PT takes all the glory when things go well, but spreads all the blame when things don't.

Ed_Severson
02-09-07, 09:55 AM
That's not exactly accurate. PT has dumped a lot of blame on Zeto, who has threatened to quit on many occasions because of the abuse. Cannon chose to leave FCR rather than work with PT. I don't blame him. PT takes all the glory when things go well, but spreads all the blame when things don't.

Sounds plausible. Didn't really realize that Zeto and PT weren't getting along that well.

In any event, I hope it's worth it to Eric to have stayed, and I'm glad Mike landed on his feet with Minardi. They're both pretty good at what they do and seem to be pretty nice guys to boot.

Hesketh
02-09-07, 10:10 AM
Yeah, Paul is not exactly a peach to work with. :shakehead

NismoZ
02-09-07, 02:29 PM
Amsterdam newspaper has Jos saying his people have all the necessary funding in place for a seat at Forsythe but that a "hi-jacker" is trying to put together a last minute deal. Gee, couldn't be talking about Doornbos could he?:D Sounds a bit like an ultimatum also when he says he "must" be in all the remaining 4 days of testing. This makes it sound like Cannon leaving FCR wasn't such a big deal for them afterall and both would rather be with the team that gave AJ his '06 success. Leads me to wonder how this makes Stoddart feel since he's the guy who wanted to "bring his own drivers" and I think he was talking about those two! Personally , given the most recent PT assessment above, I think Jos might be just who Tracy needs as a teammate this season. Hang on!

extramundane
02-09-07, 02:54 PM
Personally , given the most recent PT assessment above, I think Jos might be just who Tracy needs as a teammate this season. Hang on!

So Forsythe can replace 2 cars per weekend, rather than just 1?

NismoZ
02-09-07, 03:40 PM
:rofl: exactly what I was thinking!

Ziggy
02-09-07, 05:43 PM
Were are the Sperifico triplets when you need them? :flame:

apex
02-10-07, 03:34 PM

Oh come, come, Hesketh...it is well known that you are a Paul tracy hater. You've made that abundantely clear over at CCF. Anything you say regarding PT has to be taken with a grain of salt cause their are other insiders who disagree with your statements and view of PT!

NismoZ
02-10-07, 06:44 PM
And we forgot about Philippe. He wanted to go to Forsythe as well? Only room for one. One to FCR and 2 to Minardi? Then where does Speedy go? Maybe Minardi WILL run 3? Jos says there's only 1 day left to figure it out and he already has his plane ticket!

NismoZ
02-10-07, 08:01 PM
AR1 is saying Doornbos will test for Minardi on Mon. and Tues. so I guess that means its Philippe (or Montiero?) who is the "hi-jacker" Verstappen was talking about at FCR? Been there done that with Tiago so I think Jos is there if he has more/most cash? Doornbos is Red Bull and Jos is Trust money, so who supports Tiago? Too bad if any of this bounces Bruno or Servia but not a surprise.

Opposite Lock
02-10-07, 09:02 PM
are you zer0?

NismoZ
02-10-07, 11:45 PM
Nah, just wondering what's going on. I know, let's wait for an official announcement on Autosport THEN talk about it.

Hesketh
02-11-07, 07:02 AM
Oh come, come, Hesketh...it is well known that you are a Paul tracy hater. You've made that abundantely clear over at CCF. Anything you say regarding PT has to be taken with a grain of salt cause their are other insiders who disagree with your statements and view of PT!

I don't make up stuff. Zeto threatened to quit many times last year, but was talked into staying. Calls himself PT's babysitter. Cannon was offered the chance to stay at FCR, but didn't want to work with PT. Those are the facts, whether you love or hate PT or just don't give a damn about him. FCR is not a happy place these days, for many reasons.

mapguy
02-11-07, 08:09 AM
I don't make up stuff. Zeto threatened to quit many times last year, but was talked into staying. Calls himself PT's babysitter. Cannon was offered the chance to stay at FCR, but didn't want to work with PT. Those are the facts, whether you love or hate PT or just don't give a damn about him. FCR is not a happy place these days, for many reasons.

Can you provide a link for those 'facts'? Because nemick and some other guy on CCF that was a FCR crew member says otherwise.

Spicoli
02-11-07, 11:13 AM
Can you provide a link for those 'facts'? Because nemick and some other guy on CCF that was a FCR crew member says otherwise.

Hess knows what's up.

apex
02-11-07, 12:58 PM

One of the other guys that contradicts Hesketh and says otherwise, is Nickolet who is not just connected with the shop talk gossip guys as Hes is, Nicolet is also connected to the top management of Forsythe Racing in addition who are the real ones in the know when it comes to PT and the team.

Not just a bunch of disgruntled layed off ex forsythe workers pissed!!!

Spicoli
02-11-07, 01:25 PM
One of the other guys that contradicts Hesketh and says otherwise, is Nickolet who is not just connected with the shop talk gossip guys as Hes is, Nicolet is also connected to the top management of Forsythe Racing in addition who are the real ones in the know when it comes to PT and the team.

well, I drank a beer with viv once, so wtf does that rank me? :tony:

Hesketh
02-11-07, 03:49 PM

Ok, so have your guys who are connected with the "top management" if Zeto turned in his resignation last year (during a race weekend, no less) and if Mickelwright had to talk him down and coax him to stay.

As for how PT treats the crew, anyone with a radio on race day can hear some of the ***** he talks about the crew.

coolhand
02-11-07, 03:56 PM

What do you think they are going to say? :rofl: :rofl:

It is no secret that a lot of people say PT is an ******* to work with and an Ass in general

Dr. Corkski
02-11-07, 04:05 PM

Not just a bunch of disgruntled layed off ex forsythe workers pissed!!!Is that the same nickalot that had proof that N/H was running traction control? :laugh:

G.
02-11-07, 05:12 PM
Since we are way OT, but having fun, I'll add, anyone that doesn't think that PT is generally an ass is delusional.

Guess that's why I like him.:D

TravelGal
02-11-07, 05:17 PM
As for how PT treats the crew, anyone with a radio on race day can hear some of the ***** he talks about the crew.

And the other drivers are all completely complimentary when their wheels fall off or they run out of gas. How nice to know that.

NismoZ
02-11-07, 06:42 PM
That's OK. Sounds like he'll be the only FCR driver this week anyway. Probably not a good sign.

coolhand
02-11-07, 08:06 PM
Is that the same nickalot that had proof that N/H was running traction control? :laugh:

didn't some people say it is papers kid?

Hesketh
02-11-07, 09:16 PM
And the other drivers are all completely complimentary when their wheels fall off or they run out of gas. How nice to know that.

First of all, we're not talking about other drivers, just PT. Second, if you think for one second that a driver like Bourdais would have climbed out of that car and thrown a hissy fit like PT did, you are mistaken. Had PT stayed in the car as Mickelwright directed him to do, he could have gotten a tow back to the pits, filled up and gotten back in the race. You don't throw in the towel because of one mistake. Bourdais, Zanardi and many, many others have fought their way through the field after mistakes. You NEVER give away potential points. Say what you will about drivers like Bourdais and Schumacher, but they control their tempers in the cockpit enough to stay in the game. Remember the old racer's adage: to finish first, first you have to finish.

And finally, if you want to excuse PT for pointing the finger of blame at the crew for that one (when he was also partially to blame; after all, he was on pit road but unilaterally decided to pull back on the track when he knew he was out of fuel), then explain to me how you excuse him for continuing to blame the crew, the chief steward and/or his competitors all the ****-ups HE made all year, and the year before and the year before...

mapguy
02-11-07, 09:37 PM
Hess knows what's up.

Is Danica still pregnant?

Ruben Barrios
02-13-07, 02:47 PM
Hes I believe you, but unfortunatelly you havn't noticed that to the fans this is the PT racing series...

And people wonder why we will never be F1...

Wishfull thinking but MD with MC in Rusport would have been a contender car...

nrc
02-13-07, 03:01 PM
Hes I believe you, but unfortunatelly you havn't noticed that to the fans this is the PT racing series...

Wishfull thinking but MD with MC in Rusport would have been a contender car...

Who wants to be F1?

NismoZ
02-20-07, 11:08 AM
Huh, Jos' "hi-jacker" could have been Montiero. He's indicating the best way back to F-1 is through ChampCar. At Forsythe? We know about Muerman's money and Red Bull and Trust, who props up Tiago?

jonovision_man
02-20-07, 12:08 PM

Agree with nrc... being F1 is F1's job.

PT couldn't last a day in F1, but this is ChampCar, he gets to use the chrome horn and cuss people out, and when the cussin' stops he gets to beat them up. I think the series lets him get away with a little more than they should, but whatever, it's entertaining. And it isn't F1.

I'm saying that as an F1 fan BTW... I don't just want a cookie-cutter of F1 with all the stuffiness and profesionalism, give me some dirt, grime, and PERSONALITY. :+

jono

Ruben Barrios
02-20-07, 07:17 PM
^^^ Sounds like everything NASCAR is put down for...

I've read so many times...

"banging up with de good ol' boys" "stuff im to the wall damn forrener!!"

Open wheel is not the place to chrome horn anyone... This is not the bumper car series... Cussing people, fighting them, and being a jerk are not attitudes I look up to...

Sterling Moss, Phill Hill and such were gentlemen outside of the car... and raced hard and clean inside the cars...

jonovision_man
02-20-07, 07:46 PM
Who said I look up to PT? :p If I want role models the last place I'm going to look is on the grid of any racing series.

I watch racing to be entertained. PT's aggressive and passionate, and watching him is fantastically entertaining.

NASCAR is criticized for a lot of things, not all of them actually bad, and many of them contribute to their success. One of those is drivers with personalities, often colourful personalities. Maybe if US OW had more of them and less melba toast it wouldn't be in the toilet right now.

jono

Racing Truth
02-20-07, 08:52 PM
Who said I look up to PT? :p If I want role models the last place I'm going to look is on the grid of any racing series.

I watch racing to be entertained. PT's aggressive and passionate, and watching him is fantastically entertaining.

NASCAR is criticized for a lot of things, not all of them actually bad, and many of them contribute to their success. One of those is drivers with personalities, often colourful personalities. Maybe if US OW had more of them and less melba toast it wouldn't be in the toilet right now.

jono

Pfft. "Real" fans watch racing to see pretty cars go around. Drivers? We don't need no stinkin' drivers! It's all about technology baby!

:tony: :tony:

Note: The above was sarcasm, people.;)

Hesketh
02-21-07, 07:17 AM
^^^ Sounds like everything NASCAR is put down for...

I've read so many times...

"banging up with de good ol' boys" "stuff im to the wall damn forrener!!"

Open wheel is not the place to chrome horn anyone... This is not the bumper car series... Cussing people, fighting them, and being a jerk are not attitudes I look up to...

Sterling Moss, Phill Hill and such were gentlemen outside of the car... and raced hard and clean inside the cars...

Couldn't agree more. Isn't open wheel supposed to be the wine and cheese crowd, not the beer and pretzel crowd?

jonovision_man
02-21-07, 01:55 PM
Couldn't agree more. Isn't open wheel supposed to be the wine and cheese crowd, not the beer and pretzel crowd?

I don't recall ever seeing wine at a ChampCar race...

And the only cheese was on a luke-warm slice of pizza.

PT has all of his teeth, how fancy do you want? :)

jono

devilmaster
02-21-07, 02:24 PM
PT has all of his teeth, how fancy do you want?

jono

Checked it out for yourself, have ya?

:runs: ;) :D

jonovision_man
02-21-07, 03:38 PM
Checked it out for yourself, have ya?

:runs: ;) :D

Nice... :rofl:

jono

TorontoWorker
02-21-07, 06:00 PM

One of those is drivers with personalities, often colourful personalities.

It was almost as if it were yesterday when that butterball like 16 year old tried to cross the track at corner 9 (Mosport) and I grabbed him by the arm and he swung around as if to hit me, then looked UP at me, changed his mind about hitting me and said - F**k off and ran across the track between on coming race traffic to the infield.

Somethings never change. I hear he picks on 5'2" 150lbs French guys now? Typical.

jonovision_man
02-21-07, 07:57 PM
It was almost as if it were yesterday when that butterball like 16 year old tried to cross the track at corner 9 (Mosport) and I grabbed him by the arm and he swung around as if to hit me, then looked UP at me, changed his mind about hitting me and said - F**k off and ran across the track between on coming race traffic to the infield.

Somethings never change. I hear he picks on 5'2" 150lbs French guys now? Typical.

I never said he wasn't a dumba**. :) And I've been one of his critics, ie. I thought CCWS should have sat him last year.

But still... he's entertaining, there were more posts following his dust-up with Tags then on any other race weekend. In general I'd like to see more guys with spunk and attitude.

F1 is poorer having lost JPM and JV, and there just aren't any guys like Irvine around any more. Too stuffy. When DC is the grid "rebel" things need some spicing up, Red Bull is our only hope.

jono