PDA

View Full Version : Barbaro Euthanized

Wheel-Nut
01-29-07, 02:57 PM
Such a loss.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16846723/

TravelGal
01-29-07, 03:07 PM
Such a magnificent animal. All heart and personality *beyond* his incredible strength.

Richardson really knew his stuff to keep Barbaro alive and improving for so long. He also repeatedly said that it was at most a 50-50 chance for survival. Unfortunately, it wound up being the wrong half. Very sad. :(

indyfan31
01-29-07, 04:59 PM
That's pretty sad considering everything the owners and doctors have gone through to try and bring him back to health.

Dirty Sanchez
01-29-07, 05:46 PM
Such a loss.:gomer: :gomer: :gomer: :rofl:

he was only kept alive because his s p e r m was valuable. if he wasn't such a big earner he would've been put down at the track. yeah, such a loss... gmafb.

Tony George
01-29-07, 06:57 PM
I don't think it is too valuable. Apparently the horse needs to 'Git R Done' with a witness present! :eek: :tony:

Wheel-Nut
01-29-07, 07:53 PM
:gomer: :rofl:

he was only kept alive because his s p e r m was valuable. if he wasn't such a big earner he would've been put down at the track. yeah, such a loss... gmafb.

Think of the time and money spent training him. Think of the time and money spent prolonging his life. Think of the earnings that could've been. In the meantime, STFU!!! :tony: :rofl:

Sean O'Gorman
01-29-07, 11:20 PM
lol glue

Winston Wolfe
01-30-07, 02:35 AM
a horse that lived better than 25% of the people in the US, and received better post op treatment \ care as well !:D

coolhand
01-30-07, 02:50 AM
They could have shot the thing and saved it the pain of this stuff.

Anyone read the Barbaro UPENN message board?
http://tags.deadspin.com/sports/barbaro/
http://deadspin.com/assets/resources/2007/01/officialgoodnight.jpg

RacinM3
01-30-07, 03:43 AM
While I agree it was way out of whack to spend the resources they did trying to save him from an injury that puts down about 99.9999999999% of horses that suffer it, it's not really fair to say it was for his sp*rm. They pretty much said from the beginning that while his chances of surviving were bad, his chances of surviving AND going to stud were even worse. Considering the rules of reproduction in thouroughbreds, he would have had a hard time doing the deed.

If it was me, I'd rather be dead if that was the case.....:p

chop456
01-30-07, 03:54 AM
What are "the rules"? No AI?

IlliniRacer
01-30-07, 10:26 AM
What are "the rules"? No AI?

Correct. For a foal to be registered, its parents must have "known each other in the biblical sense."

Dirty Sanchez
01-30-07, 11:28 AM
it's not really fair to say it was for his sp*rm. They pretty much said from the beginning that while his chances of surviving were bad, his chances of surviving AND going to stud were even worse. Considering the rules of reproduction in thouroughbreds, he would have had a hard time doing the deed.it's completely fair to say that. they gambled and spent a lot of money because they knew the payoff would be huge if he sired some foal. it's simple ecomonics, all the emotional spin is just that... spin.

rabbit
01-30-07, 01:50 PM
...all the emotional spin is just that... spin.
There is the possibility that this is the case for the owners. I prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt. Most animal owners tend to grow very attached to their animals, whether there is a financial payoff or not. I know a woman who spent hundreds of dollars to keep her little dog alive because of the level of emotional attachment to it, despite the vet's advice that the dog would probably not make it anyway.

But the financial payoff argument also fails to take into account the legions of fans who hoped for a full recovery for Barbaro, none of whom had a stake in his ability to reproduce. My six-year-old daughter asks me for updates on Barbaro from time to time. I haven't told her yet that they put him down and I'm not looking forward to it.

Dirty Sanchez
01-30-07, 02:23 PM
most animal owners do grow attached to their animals. most thoroughbred owners have little involvement and leave that to the hired trainers. it's a business, don't be naive... I don't care if the folks that own(ed) barbaro told you that they slept in the stable with barbaro while he was recovering :gomer:

the kid angle is an interesting one, but I was kinda under the impression that there weren't many six year olds posting on this forum. they get attached to lots of things and while that's sweet and all, they have to learn about unpleasant stuff. all part of growing up. I suggest sitting down over a hamburger and hashing it out :D

rabbit
01-30-07, 05:23 PM
It's a business?! Srsly?! Well, I guess that would explain why the Celtics were so upset when Len Bias died - 'cause, you know, that probably cost them a lot of money in ticket sales and merchandising. Professional basketball is a business after all and the team owners only care about the money. I don't care if they say they were by Bias' bedside when he died.

Dirty Sanchez
01-30-07, 05:33 PM
you're comparing the deaths of a 3 year old horse and a human? :laugh:

rabbit
01-30-07, 05:52 PM
you're comparing the deaths of a 3 year old horse and a human? :laugh:
People become emotionally attached to both. And in many cases the horses get better treatment at the ends of their careers than humans do. Talk to retired professional athletes some time and ask them if the teams they played for give a crap about them now that they aren't making them any money. I guarantee you that the nos will outnumber the yeses by at least 2-to-1.

Dirty Sanchez
01-30-07, 05:55 PM
sorry, but your example has nothing to do with the business decision to keep barbaro alive. len bias died unexpectedly, there wasn't any decision to prolong his life in any way. ridiculous :rofl:

TravelGal
01-30-07, 05:56 PM
Why are you laughing DS? YOU were the one that melted it all down to a business. Either there is emotion involved or there isn't. Looks like you only have emotions for humans. Others have emotions for animals as well.

rabbit
01-30-07, 05:58 PM
By the way, Barbaro was heavily insured. The owners will be cashing a big fat check here in the near future. So you can take the financial loss argument out of the equation.

Dirty Sanchez
01-30-07, 06:00 PM
not questioning that. but emotions had nothing to do with the decision to keep this animal alive. it was a business decision... keep every other variable the same, but substitute the kentucky derby winner with some average earning thoroughbred and that horse is dead on the ground at pimlico... no hooplah, no get well cards (who writes a card to a horse? :rofl: )... just dead.

rabbit
01-30-07, 06:00 PM
sorry, but your example has nothing to do with the business decision to keep barbaro alive. len bias died unexpectedly, there wasn't any decision to prolong his life in any way. ridiculous :rofl:

So you're saying that if the Celtics would have had a chance to take measures to save Bias' life they wouldn't have? :saywhat: :gomer:

Dirty Sanchez
01-30-07, 06:01 PM
By the way, Barbaro was heavily insured. The owners will be cashing a big fat check here in the near future. So you can take the financial loss argument out of the equation.ofcourse it's insured. they can't possibly calculate what a horse might earn as a stud, however. so that theoretical revenue stream is not insured.

Dirty Sanchez
01-30-07, 06:02 PM
So you're saying that if the Celtics would have had a chance to take measures to save Bias' life they wouldn't have? :saywhat: :gomer:no, I'm saying your example sucks. come up with another one that is somewhat relevant.

rabbit
01-30-07, 06:03 PM
not questioning that. but emotions had nothing to do with the decision to keep this animal alive. it was a business decision... keep every other variable the same, but substitute the kentucky derby winner with some average earning thoroughbred and that horse is dead on the groud at pimlico... no hooplah, no get well cards (who writes a card to a horse? :rofl: )... just dead.
I would like to know why you feel qualified to speak as to the emotional state of the owners, or anyone else for that matter. Do you have an inside connection that we don't know about?

Dirty Sanchez
01-30-07, 06:04 PM
I would like to know why you feel qualified to speak as to the emotional state of the owners, or anyone else for that matter. Do you have an inside connection that we don't know about?because 99% of horses in the same situation are dead 8 months ago. are you saying all the other injured horses are unloved? :laugh:

rabbit
01-30-07, 06:04 PM
ofcourse it's insured. they can't possibly calculate what a horse might earn as a stud, however. so that theoretical revenue stream is not insured.

Umm, actually it is. They had two policies. One for if he died and one for if he was unable to perform at stud. Therefore the insurance company was able to put a value on his worth as a stud.

Dirty Sanchez
01-30-07, 06:07 PM
Umm, actually it is. They had two policies. One for if he died and one for if he was unable to perform at stud. Therefore the insurance company was able to put a value on his worth as a stud.link it up. would like to read the wording of the policy.

rabbit
01-30-07, 06:10 PM
because 99% of horses in the same situation are dead 8 months ago. are you saying all the other injured horses are unloved? :laugh:

Absolutely not. What I am saying is that there are people who were saddened by Barbaro's death, whether they were the owners or just fans of the sport. And for you to speak for them is ignorant and presumptuous on your part.

rabbit
01-30-07, 06:10 PM
link it up. would like to read the wording of the policy.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/horseracing/bal-sp.insurance24may24,0,7305952.story?coll=bal-sports-horse

Owners Roy and Gretchen Jackson had purchased two types of insurance on the prized colt: one for if the Kentucky Derby winner dies, and the other to protect them if he is unable to fulfill his potential as a stud, Roy Jackson said yesterday.:gomer:

Dirty Sanchez
01-30-07, 06:15 PM
doesn't say how much the insurance was worth. but likely worth far less than what he could've earned as a stud... just as if I died unexpectedly today my policy will probably be substantially less than what I'd earn for the rest of my natural life (actually need to check into that :D )

also doesn't dissuade me from my belief that this was purely a business decision :tony:

Sean O'Gorman
01-30-07, 06:22 PM
And in many cases the horses get better treatment at the ends of their careers than humans do. Talk to retired professional athletes some time and ask them if the teams they played for give a crap about them now that they aren't making them any money. I guarantee you that the nos will outnumber the yeses by at least 2-to-1.

Are you comparing winning and losing horses to winning and losing athletes, or just Barbaro to athletes in general?

Gnam
01-30-07, 06:29 PM
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6930/beatdeadhorselh7.gif Literally.

Dr. Corkski
01-30-07, 07:03 PM
I have been glued to this story from the very beginning.

Twisty Bits
01-30-07, 11:54 PM
I've mentioned it before. I'm almost positive it was suicide.

http://dougstephan.com/uploads/HC%2009%20-%20Horse%20on%20Hood_edited-1.bmp

Dirty Sanchez
01-31-07, 02:46 PM
after some light reading on equine insurance I question that a fertility policy was in place on barbaro.

Other than mortality insurance, the only types of horse insurance that are routinely offered are fertility insurance for stallions just entering the stud, live-foal insurance to cover an unborn foal, and various types of liability insurance to protect you in case your horse inflicts damage on people or property.

Fertility insurance for stallions isn't something that many people need, but it is available, provided the horse to be covered hasn't already experienced fertility problems. If he has, you probably won't be able to find a company that will write a policy.who would write a policy for an already injured horse with very little chance to live, let alone breed? prior to injury, there was no immediate plans for him to be retire to stud (he was still a race horse at the time).

seems like the unsubstantiated claim that there was a fertility insurance policy in place could simply be an effort to reduce the criticism they are facing from people that realize this was only about the money.

Insomniac
01-31-07, 03:24 PM
after some light reading on equine insurance I question that a fertility policy was in place on barbaro.

who would write a policy for an already injured horse with very little chance to live, let alone breed? prior to injury, there was no immediate plans for him to be retire to stud (he was still a race horse at the time).

seems like the unsubstantiated claim that there was a fertility insurance policy in place could simply be an effort to reduce the criticism they are facing from people that realize this was only about the money.

They could've gotten the policy before the injury. After all, you'd want it before something happened.

devilmaster
01-31-07, 03:46 PM
They could've gotten the policy before the injury. After all, you'd want it before something happened.

If they didn't have policies before he won the Kentucky, for sure they had it afterwards....

Ankf00
01-31-07, 03:49 PM
I would think following the kentucky would be the most financially opportune time to purchase such a policy

Dirty Sanchez
01-31-07, 04:07 PM
immediately following the kentucky derby he wasn't a stallion just entering the stud... he was training to race at pimlico.

Ankf00
01-31-07, 04:24 PM
while I agree with your general premise, just because a policy at that time is not "routine," as your link states, that doesn't preclude the existence of such. especially considering the value of the horse as stud must have substantially increased after winning a triple-crown event.

Dirty Sanchez
01-31-07, 04:42 PM
not saying that it's impossible... just improbable as an active competing horse would be at much greater risk of injury (duh) than one actually retiring to stud. barbaro never retired.

under the circumstances any insurer who would write such a policy would command an almost prohibitively expensive premium, imo.

Dirty Sanchez
02-01-07, 01:57 PM
and DUH (can't believe I didn't come up with this sooner)... assuming there was a fertility policy in place, I sincerely doubt an insurer would pay out anything on it. who's to say that Barbaro was infertile???? that would have to be established before any payout on that type of policy. injured and/or dead does not equal infertile :gomer: