PDA

View Full Version : Williams "ready" to launch legal action

SurfaceUnits
01-29-07, 02:06 PM
January 29, 2007

Williams has now joined F1 rival Spyker in publicly threatening legal action against teams intending to use cars they did not design in 2007.

source: GMM

The British authoritative newspaper 'The Guardian' said Sir Frank Williams is "ready" to take the controversy - which centres around the plans of Toro Rosso and Super Aguri - to the International Chamber of Commerce in Switzerland for arbitration.

"I am adamantly opposed to chassis sharing and we at Williams do not believe it is legal under the current rules," Williams, the Grove based team's principal and co-owner, said.

"As far as I'm concerned it is absolutely in the regulations in black and white that every team must make its own chassis."

Toro Rosso's Gerhard Berger hit back at Williams' stance, accusing the 64-year-old of being am amateur "policeman", but Sir Frank also warned David Richards not to tread a similar route even next year.

Referring to official 2008 entrant Prodrive's plans to buy a complete car to race with next year, Williams said: "In the presently issued rules for 2008, customer cars are not yet a done deal."

cameraman
01-29-07, 02:12 PM
Is there some kind of secret contest going on to see how quickly F1 can be made as screwed up as the IRL?:shakehead

oddlycalm
01-29-07, 03:26 PM
Seems pretty clear to me, either the teams are required to design and construct their own car or they aren't. What's making it less than clear is that Bernie and Max seem to be turning a blind eye to their own regs. You can't have it both ways.

They've already killed the third party engine business by allowing the manufacturers to offer customer engines, now it's going to be chassis as well. Inevitable due to the end of the tobacco money era I suppose. People want to be able to run competitive equipment on $50 million budgets.

oc

eiregosod
01-29-07, 03:32 PM
Max can't defend his own rules. "it's perfectly legal" :tony:

3rd party chassis/manufacturer builders that circumvent the regulations are really within the spirit of the rules :rolleyes: :tony: