PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista

Pages : 1 [2]

Cam
03-04-07, 12:56 PM
Cam....

Do you like *anything*??

Of course I do. I am just less vocal about that which I do like. :D

As for Dell I have just had way too many bad experiences with them and their crappy hardware both personally and professionally.

Oh... And while I am at it, I don't like Chop either. :D

Chief
03-04-07, 01:00 PM
OSX was a unix clone from the beginning...up until a few years ago I still supported a client who ran NextOS, which is very much what OSX is now. Next was what Steve Jobs brought back to Apple after his foray into his own company. Next was too good for it's time....

Vista is a pig (sorry RacerMike buddy :) .....For $500 a Mac Mini (Intel chipset) can do everything including home theatre and it nicely runs XP too. Plugs into my HDTV, any monitor I can throw at it, looks runs and is great. I'm beginning to think the only reason to keep a PC around is to run old versions of Indycar Racing II and it's split induced brother, CART Racing (Papyrus).

chop456
03-04-07, 01:10 PM
Oh... And while I am at it, I don't like Chop either. :D

Good choice. :D

Insomniac
03-04-07, 03:38 PM
I've always used Abit boards with good results, but I haven't built anything in 3 years so I'm unware of any problems that may have come up since then.

Maybe they're punishing you for installing a floppy drive. :) I don't understand the PCI-E power problem. Most builders like connections near the edge of the board and that's near the edge close to the PCI-E slot. Anyway, I'm not recommending this particular board so maybe when I get around to shopping mother boards again (hopefully not for a couple more years) I'll arrive at the same conclusion on Abit.

I think Abit had some financial troubles and basically went into the tank. Their boards started to suck as well. They have since been bought up by someone named USI. I believe they were renamed to abit universal and are now starting to crank out good boards again.

The motherboard market has changed a lot though. You have AMD (formerly ATi) and nVidia in the market now. Via has really fallen back. Lots of good boards and stability out there. Boards for all prices and uses.

oddlycalm
03-04-07, 11:13 PM
I have always bought Enermax PS's. They have great support, good wiring, and good cooling systems for their PS's. Yep, Enermax is a good one. I've had them in the last couple systems. I've got one of those Pentium D space heaters so I'm running 600W supply to keep everything happy. I'll probably build a year earlier than planned due to the power hawg CPU..

Saw Vista for the first time today. I'll wait for SP1.

oc

racermike
03-05-07, 12:19 AM
Vista Business is more like XP Pro. It has the networking and remote desktop bits you need for working in a corporate lan. What the business version does not have is the Windows Media Center and DVD creation software that is part of Ultimate. Home basic is totally stripped down to bare bones booting of the machine.

$199 to upgrade from XP Pro to Vista Business

Just buy Nero Ultimate

MAXAR RE
03-05-07, 02:21 AM
Better yet, you can just rice-out XP to look like Vista Ultimate:
http://www.windowsxlive.net/?page_id=15

I like the sidebar and enjoy the GUI theme, and the different logons are a welcome change from what I have been looking at for the past 4 years. That said, I have no intention of upgrading any of my current PCs to Vista. I'll probably get Vista in a few years on a new PC. In the meantime I will keep spending time with my NT5 variants. :cool:

pfc_m_drake
03-05-07, 08:05 AM
Regarding power supplies, Enermax makes excellent power supplies. A few others I always consider are FSP/Fortron Source and Xclio.

I'd avoid Antec like the plague...while they supposedly make good power supplies, I actually lost a system to a faulty Antec power supply once (the only time that's ever happened to me).

I personally use PC Power & Cooling power supplies in my main rigs. They're the best available, but you'll get sticker shock when you see the price.

My personal power supply. (http://www.pcpower.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=T1KWSR&view=about) :eek:

For those not running dual video cards, I highly recommend the Xclio Goodpower 500W. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817189005) It's an excellent power supply for under $60, including shipping.

nrc
03-05-07, 10:23 AM
My personal power supply. (http://www.pcpower.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=T1KWSR&view=about) :eek:

"It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black."

pfc_m_drake
03-05-07, 10:39 AM
LOL...well...my main computer is an Intel QX6700 (quad core) overclocked with dual nVidia 8800GTX video cards, so you can't skimp on the power supply.

Insomniac
03-05-07, 02:21 PM
LOL...well...my main computer is an Intel QX6700 (quad core) overclocked with dual nVidia 8800GTX video cards, so you can't skimp on the power supply.

Do you upgrade a lot?

chop456
03-05-07, 03:10 PM

Well, I think it looks like death.

oddlycalm
03-05-07, 04:04 PM
LOL...well...my main computer is an Intel QX6700 (quad core) overclocked with dual nVidia 8800GTX video cards, so you can't skimp on the power supply. Too bad we have to run switchers to feed the CMOS, if we had TTL or ECL like the old Crays did we could run surplus arc welding transformers with a Variac... :gomer:

Seriously, that's a lot of ferrite and caps to stuff into a standard size power supply chassis. At least Vista won't represent 50% of the cost of your system.... :\

oc
http://www.pcpower.com/products/assets/T1KWSR/T1KWSR_photo_03.jpg

pfc_m_drake
03-05-07, 10:17 PM
What can I say...I take my computing seriously.

@Insomniac: It depends on how you define *a lot*. I upgrade about every year. It's getting to be a very expensive proposition these days though - particularly with SLI/Crossfire video card arrangements. You can easily drop over $1300 just in video cards every 6 months if you're not careful.

@oddlycalm: It's not super clear from the picture, but it's actually a lot longer than your typical power supply. Close to 2x as long. It still fits in a standard ATX case...but even on Lian-Li mid-tower cases (for example) you have to be careful about where you locate your optical drives, because it gets tight.

@chop: It's only death if you grab the 12 volt rail under full load (72 amps) :eek:

Insomniac
04-12-07, 06:55 PM
In comparison, Apple has their act together. Way together. Also, if you've paid any attention, you'd find that Apple always ships their products when they say they will. Not years late. You can count on their delivery promises.

Ooops again...

...we had to borrow some key software
engineering and QA resources from our Mac OS(R) X team, and as a result we will not be able to release Leopard at our Worldwide Developers Conference in early June as planned. While Leopard's features will be complete by then, we cannot deliver the quality release that we and our customers expect from us. We now plan to show our developers a near final version of Leopard at the conference, give them a beta copy to take home so they can do their final testing, and ship Leopard in October.
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/04-12-2007/0004564657&EDATE=

dando
04-12-07, 07:13 PM
Ooops again...

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/04-12-2007/0004564657&EDATE=

~3 mos. is a heckuva lot better than ~3 years (and with a ton of missing features as well) in my book.

-Kevin

Insomniac
04-13-07, 09:11 AM
~3 mos. is a heckuva lot better than ~3 years (and with a ton of missing features as well) in my book.

-Kevin

Ohhh, now it's degrees of lateness (and exaggeration, 3 years??? :rofl:)? :p

dando
04-13-07, 01:00 PM
Ohhh, now it's degrees of lateness (and exaggeration, 3 years??? :rofl:)? :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_vista#Development

Microsoft started work on their plans for Windows Vista ("Longhorn") in 2001,[6] prior to the release of Windows XP. It was originally expected to ship sometime late in 2003 as a minor step between Windows XP (codenamed "Whistler") and "Blackcomb" (now known as Windows "Vienna"). Gradually, "Longhorn" assimilated many of the important new features and technologies slated for "Blackcomb," resulting in the release date being pushed back several times....The original "Longhorn," based on the Windows XP source code, was scrapped, and Vista development started anew, building on the Windows Server 2003 codebase, and re-incorporating only the features that would be intended for an actual operating system release. Some previously announced features such as WinFS were dropped or postponed, and a new software development methodology called the "Security Development Lifecycle" was incorporated in an effort to address concerns with the security of the Windows codebase.[7]

*shrug* YMMV.

Longhorn = Shorthorn = Vista :gomer:

-Kevin

PS: That's a new meaning for the acronym SDLC. ;)

Insomniac
04-13-07, 02:28 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_vista#Development

*shrug* YMMV.

Longhorn = Shorthorn = Vista :gomer:

-Kevin

PS: That's a new meaning for the acronym SDLC. ;)

You can't seriously consider Vista to be a minor update to XP? They scrapped that and went with Vista. The "original" product was nothing like the final product. Yes, they did pull some features (WinFS being the major one), but a lot of what is in Vista now wasn't planned in the oroginal update for XP which would've been akin to 98->98SE or 98SE->Me in terms of what kind of update it would've been.

BTW--I was only trying to point out Apple isn't as perfect as some believe, we all know MS isn't.

dando
04-13-07, 03:08 PM
BTW--I was only trying to point out Apple isn't as perfect as some believe, we all know MS isn't.

Yes, I got your point, but clearly Apple comes to delivering what they originally promised and closer to the original date.

There's a reason peeps in my biz started referring to Longhorn as Shorthorn, due the number of prominent features that were cut by M$FT. They also claimed that Vista was developed from a clean sheet of paper, which recent security flaws affecting Vista and XP have proven that there is shared code b/w the two.

I'm not a fanboy either way, and I use both Windoze and Macs regularly. However, I have experience working with M$FT products going all the way back to pre-IIS/Win98 days. Let's just say that there's a reason we're now developing for the Linux/Apache/Tomcat platform. :)

-Kevin

Ankf00
04-13-07, 03:15 PM
You can't seriously consider Vista to be a minor update to XP? They scrapped that and went with Vista. The "original" product was nothing like the final product. Yes

so you're saying it's like the A350? sucks before and sucks after? :)

Insomniac
04-13-07, 09:55 PM
Yes, I got your point, but clearly Apple comes to delivering what they originally promised and closer to the original date.

There's a reason peeps in my biz started referring to Longhorn as Shorthorn, due the number of prominent features that were cut by M$FT. They also claimed that Vista was developed from a clean sheet of paper, which recent security flaws affecting Vista and XP have proven that there is shared code b/w the two.

I'm not a fanboy either way, and I use both Windoze and Macs regularly. However, I have experience working with M$FT products going all the way back to pre-IIS/Win98 days. Let's just say that there's a reason we're now developing for the Linux/Apache/Tomcat platform. :)

-Kevin

They do, but I'm not the one who claimed they're never late (neither did you). What other prominent feature besides WinFS was cut? Also note that it was techically "added" first. I also don't think MS could really ever start with a truly clean slate.

Tomcat, Argh! It is driving me so nuts right now.

Insomniac
04-13-07, 09:56 PM
so you're saying it's like the A350? sucks before and sucks after? :)

I haven't used Vista, so I can't comment on its level of suckitude. :)

Cam
04-13-07, 11:16 PM
I haven't used Vista, so I can't comment on its level of suckitude. :)

It sucks.... It is an idiots OS only even the idiots are confused....

eiregosod
04-14-07, 09:39 AM
Too bad we have to run switchers to feed the CMOS, if we had TTL or ECL like the old Crays did we could run surplus arc welding transformers with a Variac... :gomer:

Seriously, that's a lot of ferrite and caps to stuff into a standard size power supply chassis. At least Vista won't represent 50% of the cost of your system.... :\

oc
http://www.pcpower.com/products/assets/T1KWSR/T1KWSR_photo_03.jpg

That's a serious amount of Aluminium & heat paste.

Inclreasingly-bloated operating systems and the need for faster processors proves that the energy conservation movement is bogus.

Insomniac
04-14-07, 12:16 PM
Inclreasingly-bloated operating systems and the need for faster processors proves that the energy conservation movement is bogus.

The problem now are video cards. I suspect in a generation or 2 they will start emphsizing better power consumption numbers. The top cards are getting into some pretty crazy power numbers.

racermike
04-14-07, 01:54 PM
I have a brand new copy of Vista Business that I am selling for $220 if anyone is interested. (I got two copies from Microsoft, and used one for myself).

Brand new with CD Key

pfc_m_drake
04-14-07, 06:26 PM
The problem now are video cards. I suspect in a generation or 2 they will start emphsizing better power consumption numbers. The top cards are getting into some pretty crazy power numbers.
300W per card for the about to be released ATI R600. :)

So, if you have 2 in CrossFire, that's 600W just for your video cards.

oddlycalm
04-14-07, 06:28 PM
The problem now are video cards. I suspect in a generation or 2 they will start emphsizing better power consumption numbers. The top cards are getting into some pretty crazy power numbers. You got that right. The Core Duo processors are very energy efficient compared to the space heaters that were the last generation of chips but the high end vid cards are beasts and a lot of people are running two of them.

Like race cars a look at the cooling system offers a strong clue as to how much power is lurking. I'm just happy they run quiet and the hot air gets exhausted outside the case. I can cool the case with a pair of slow turning 120mm fans. One would probably do but they are nearly inaudible so there's no penalty for making sure.

I agree with eiregosod that Vista is bloated. Placing even a moderate load on the video processor just to run the OS is self important myopia. Give me stability, give me security, give me the tools to manage it, then get TF out of the way and let me get back to what's important to me. Elegance is not born out of gimics.

oc
http://www.gamepc.com/images/labs/rev-geforce8800-cardsSM.jpg

Insomniac
04-14-07, 08:05 PM
I'm just happy they run quiet and the hot air gets exhausted outside the case. I can cool the case with a pair of slow turning 120mm fans. One would probably do but they are nearly inaudible so there's no penalty for making sure.
http://www.gamepc.com/images/labs/rev-geforce8800-cardsSM.jpg

The fans on those dual slot cards are pretty loud when they get going. Fortunately, for many people, they're playing a video game at that point, so the sound is blasting.

I agree with eiregosod that Vista is bloated. Placing even a moderate load on the video processor just to run the OS is self important myopia. Give me stability, give me security, give me the tools to manage it, then get TF out of the way and let me get back to what's important to me. Elegance is not born out of gimics.

You definitely don't need a super high end card for the Aero interface. I assume integrated graphics (for now) aren't enough, but Apple doesn't get their pretty interface without a little taxing on the video subsystem and I don't think they sell anything using a video card integrated into the chipset.

ChampcarShark
09-13-07, 01:47 PM
I need your expertise and help on WINVista.

I need to disable the "low Disk space" warning. It is annoying.
I am working on a Compaq with Vista on it and have not been able to find a way to disable the warning. It is telling me that the D: partition, where the restore software is, is low on disk space and offers to clean it, but nothing happens the message is still there.

Please help.

Wabbit
09-13-07, 03:26 PM
I need your expertise and help on WINVista.

I need to disable the "low Disk space" warning. It is annoying.
I am working on a Compaq with Vista on it and have not been able to find a way to disable the warning. It is telling me that the D: partition, where the restore software is, is low on disk space and offers to clean it, but nothing happens the message is still there.

Please help.

You can try this

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsvista/ht/dislowdisk.htm

ChampcarShark
09-13-07, 03:33 PM
You can try this

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsvista/ht/dislowdisk.htm

Thank You Very much.

This sounds like something I can do.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: