PDA

View Full Version : tirerack.com?

KaBoom21
01-22-07, 04:25 PM
The Jetta needs new tires and I was real happy w/the Continentals that were on it, but not happy w/ the $635 that Cassidy Tire wants to replace them. tirerack.com has them for $365 shipped, and $20/tire for installation, etc. puts me in at $445 total.

Anyone have any experience w/ tirerack.com?

cameraman
01-22-07, 04:34 PM
I got a set of mounted snow tires from them a few years ago. They were round and black and they arrived when promised.

Have you tried Costco?

Sean O'Gorman
01-22-07, 04:43 PM
I highly recommend Tire Rack. Even once you figure $10-20 per tire for mounting at a local shop, you still come out way ahead and have a much better selection. Their warehouse is close enough that you'll get the tires overnight regardless of which shipping option you choose.

RichK
01-22-07, 05:04 PM
Tire Rack is awesome. Besides their good prices, they will ship to your choice of local tire shop, and your shop gives you a call when the tires arrive. :thumbup:

grungex
01-22-07, 05:18 PM
Tire Rack all the way.

KaBoom21
01-22-07, 06:24 PM
round and black and they arrived when promised.
Sounds like the janitors I used to buy weed from in college.

Have you tried Costco?
Had a trial membership but dropped it. I'll check it out, though.

Al Czervik
01-22-07, 06:25 PM
I've purchased several sets of tires & wheels from them. Good prices, good service. Highly recommended.

<edit> Actually purchased from the physical location, not online, but I'd bet the online does just as well. <edit>

Elmo T
01-22-07, 06:47 PM
Have you tried Costco?

I purchased my last set of Bridgestone RE910's at Costco. I was in and out in less than 30 minutes.

Opposite Lock
01-22-07, 07:52 PM
Sounds like the janitors I used to buy weed from in college.

very nice. :thumbup:

nrc
01-22-07, 08:28 PM
If you're thinking about Bridgestones be sure to get an online quote from the Bridgestone Autocare web site to compare. The last time I bought Bridgestones the difference really wasn't much.

Just for example:
Potenza RE960AS Pole Position 225/45R18
$188.99 x 4 $755.96
$173.00 x 4 $692.00 + 39.82 = $731.82

Then there's installation. On the Firestone quote it's $62 at a place I've trusted my wheels with before. For Tire Rack it's anywhere from $78 at Bob's RV, U-Haul, and Tire to $144 for some of their Price Pledge Plus Recommended Installers.

The bottom line is to be sure to compare the full price installed. Your savings can get eaten up in a hurry by installers charging a premium because they didn't make a tire sale.

ferrarigod
01-22-07, 09:49 PM
i've used tirerack in the past, and i'll use it again. last 3 sets of tyres if i count correctly.

Dirty Sanchez
01-24-07, 03:22 PM
tons of experience with tirerack. deal with them regularly. you won't find better service, imo.

as far as mounting and balancing is concerned, the most you should ever expect to pay (regardless of where you live) is $25 per corner. and that is on a road force balancer. $10-15 per corner is common, however.

if you are dead set on all-seasons... best buy, right now is the Avon M550 A/S

Ankf00
01-24-07, 03:35 PM
if you are dead set on all-seasons... best buy, right now is the Avon M550 A/S

for snowy conditions too?

Dirty Sanchez
01-24-07, 03:40 PM
for snowy conditions too?if you do any snow driving, my personal recommendation would be to run multiple sets of tires (a dedicated winter set and a dedicated summer set) because all-season tires are a compromise in all conditions. but among the all-seasons available, avon is the best value (by far according to my contact at TireRack). I know several people who run them.

oddlycalm
01-24-07, 03:56 PM
TireRack is outstanding. I mostly buy local as we have a lot of good sources around here, but the specialty stuff I've gotten through TireRack was always quick and easy. :thumbup: If you're doing a lot of track days on $1000+ sets of tires that nobody local stocks TireRack can save you serious money.

oc

grungex
01-24-07, 06:21 PM
if you do any snow driving, my personal recommendation would be to run multiple sets of tires (a dedicated winter set and a dedicated summer set) because all-season tires are a compromise in all conditions. but among the all-seasons available, avon is the best value (by far according to my contact at TireRack). I know several people who run them.

FWIW, Avon is a Cooper brand... :thumbup:

KaBoom21
02-07-07, 06:37 PM
Worked out great. Ordered, received and had them installed the next day. Includiing shipping and install, I still came in about $220 ahead.

Thanks for the info.

Ankf00
02-07-07, 06:53 PM
Worked out great. Ordered, received and had them installed the next day. Includiing shipping and install, I still came in about $220 ahead.

Thanks for the info.

how are those treating you in the snow?

dando
02-07-07, 09:23 PM
I'm late to the party here, but had a great experience with a set of P Zeros I ordered from them previously. The even took a shipment of RDS wheels from Turner Motorsports and mounted them on the wheels before shipping them to me. :thumbup: Sadly I lost two tires and two rims due to a nasty pot hole about a year after purchasing them. :saywhat: P Zeros aren't good in the snow @ all. :\

Last set I bought, I went to Discount Tire because I was looking for a more conservative all weather tire (Kuomo), and the pricing was comparable with shipping, etc.

-Kevin

KaBoom21
02-08-07, 01:28 AM
how are those treating you in the snow?
Really well. I went with the touring tire and the ride is so smooth, handling is top-notch and it really feels like the perfect all-season tire.

G.
05-03-07, 06:21 PM
Anybody got a favorite set of shoes for a minivan?

Nothing performance, just safe, quiet, all-weather, dependable tires. Must work in snow. size 215/70TR15

Long trips (and lack of kids), the van might be run up to 85 mph.

Thanks!

Methanolandbrats
05-03-07, 09:29 PM

Nothing performance, just safe, quiet, all-weather, dependable tires. Must work in snow. size 215/70TR15

Long trips (and lack of kids), the van might be run up to 85 mph.

Thanks!Nokian WR, nothing can touch them.

gjc2
05-04-07, 03:43 PM
My brother in law did business with them, was very satisfied.

ferrarigod
05-05-07, 02:03 AM

Nothing performance, just safe,

oxymoron when used with minivan. get a A4 Avant and have a chance in an accident.

G.
05-06-07, 12:55 AM
oxymoron when used with minivan. get a A4 Avant and have a chance in an accident.
How does one fit a family of 6 (with carseats!) into it?

Not enough junk-in-da-trunk.

Ankf00
05-06-07, 01:00 AM
How does one fit a family of 6 (with carseats!) into it?

Not enough junk-in-da-trunk.

you don't.

you stick your trophy wife in the passenger seat, the huskie or lab in the back, and a pair of unblemished, unridden $5000 bikes on top while you park it in front of the coolest coffee shop in your neighborhood sipping your latte

oddlycalm
05-06-07, 02:29 PM
How does one fit a family of 6 (with carseats!) into it? For that you need an A6 with the optional third seat. Around $52K with a few basic options and it comes with a frequent invitations to visit a mechanic with a germanic name of your choice. The base 3.2L V6 is bog slow while hauling all those bodies around but it doesn't matter because the barge-like handling won't inspire many displays of speed... :gomer: It does however make a good winter car, which is why I have one.

If you want to save money when it comes time to call Tirerack for new shoes for your A6 stick with the standard P245/45HR17 because the P255/40YR18's will cost considerably more and the wife will complain about the harsh ride with the 19's...:D

oc