PDA

View Full Version : Denver Dead?

NismoZ
01-16-07, 12:18 PM
Denver Post today says the Denver CC race is likely at an end. No connection with the European announcement but makes it easier to cancel now. Knew it was in trouble when Centrix left but thought it'd be on for '07. Probably not. "Denver is a viable market. The struggle was with ChampCar."-Jim Hancock, consultant to the co-owner of race with CC.:( Oh well.

JoeBob
01-16-07, 12:52 PM
Might want to read the article yourself, rather than quoting the naysayers:
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_5020433

Opposite Lock
01-16-07, 12:53 PM
Sucks. But there's a real racetrack (http://www.millermotorsportspark.com/) in the region that doesn't have much on its calendar for the weekend of August 19. :D

NismoZ
01-16-07, 01:00 PM
I used the word "likely" and the future of this race was called into question LONG ago. I'll quote naysayers if he's a former President of a race owner group. Tell you what, if the race is indeed cancelled THEN chime in with a comment or two. That'd be safe. If CC wants to be the sole owner I suppose they could go that route. I'd like to hear a definition of what "the struggle" with CC has been. Gate reciepts? PS...were there any "yeasayers" in the article? CC admits they have trouble.

KLang
01-16-07, 01:00 PM
From the Champ Car press release today about the European races:

The addition of the two European events brings the number of races on the 2007 Champ Car schedule to 17, marking the most races on a Champ Car calendar since 2003.

Doesn't sound to me like it is quite dead yet. I predict either Lanigan or the Vegas/Phoenix promoters pick it up.

Sean O'Gorman
01-16-07, 01:10 PM
From the sounds of the end of the article, it almost sounds as if the IRL is going after Denver...

NismoZ
01-16-07, 01:17 PM
No, not quite dead. "Jim Fruedenberg, 2005 Denver Grand Prix General Manager and owner of ChampCar expansion races in Phoenix and Las Vegas says it's premature to say the Denver race is dead but it doesn't look good." That doesn't sound like he wants to take on Denver's problems again, but one never knows. THREE races in that region? Not likely

NismoZ
01-16-07, 01:23 PM
The League? Yes, thus the late story following a new 2 race announcement. You think wanting The League instead of CC, or :tony: sticking his nose in is precipitating this? Could be I suppose. I don't think CC will fight for this one like they did LB, if it comes to that. Be more of a St. Pete I think, only THIS time they'll SELL the assets instead of leaving them laying around!

Wally
01-16-07, 01:29 PM
Just don't abandon another venue and its infrastructure for the idiot to scoop up and claim a success....:shakehead

pchall
01-16-07, 01:32 PM
From the sounds of the end of the article, it almost sounds as if the IRL is going after Denver...

SOG has a rare sharp moment. ;)

The stink of Tony¥ is in the air.

Gnam
01-16-07, 02:46 PM
From the Champ Car press release today about the European races:

The addition of the two European events brings the number of races on the 2007 Champ Car schedule to 17, marking the most races on a Champ Car calendar since 2003.
Doesn't sound to me like it is quite dead yet. I predict either Lanigan or the Vegas/Phoenix promoters pick it up.
'Course they did leave Korea on the schedule long after it was dead, canceling it only as the date neared.

I don't know if it makes financial sense to fight for Denver, but the psychological value of slapping down an FTG power play should be worth it.

TravelGal
01-16-07, 02:48 PM
I used the word "likely" and the future of this race was called into question LONG ago..

But you didn't use it in the thread title, henny-penny.

NismoZ
01-16-07, 03:05 PM
Dewey Defeats Truman!;)

nissan gtp
01-16-07, 07:35 PM
having gotten over my initial reaction...

Denver is a good event. If Champ Car lets this one get away it will be bad and look bad.

And if the IRL moves in a takes over, then Champ Car management will have a very hard time explaining how it's anything but a big loss.

ferrarigod
01-16-07, 10:27 PM
Sucks. But there's a real racetrack (http://www.millermotorsportspark.com/) in the region that doesn't have much on its calendar for the weekend of August 19. :D

isn't pikes peak already torn down?

:gomer:

NismoZ
01-16-07, 10:30 PM
What is it with "The West" all of a sudden? Now the IRL is looking to draw 135,000 people to Palm Springs in Sept? Better be a night race. Phoenix and Vegas must have made 'em mad. You think it might "interfere" with the Fontana race ? Maybe KK can loan out some lawyers to NASCAB so they can sue:tony: AR1 rumor per desertsun.com.

apex
01-16-07, 10:43 PM
I don't think the powers at champcar are going to let the denver race go! It is too important a venue and both the Irl and Nascab want to move in to this market. The gomers are chomping at the bit for CC to abandon Denver. Some times business models have contingencies for taking a losses in order to keep your competition from getting a foothold in a market. This might be inplay until CC can find a new promotor for the venue.

skaven
01-16-07, 11:27 PM
I hope they work this out. It seemed like last year the race turned the corner. Sure, it was the tires (Justin falling backwards on the reds), the push to pass (Allmendinger lighting it up and passing Seabass for the lead), the fight (PT vs. Seabass crashing and pushing each other around) and might be considered "gimicky", but the crowd loved it, I loved it and I think a lot of the people left feeling good about their time (and money) spent at the track and looking forward to next year.

The ridicule last year was reserved for the Atlantics drivers who kept wrecking and bringing out yellows. The big cars put on a good show last year. :thumbup:

Indy
01-16-07, 11:57 PM
Not my favorite race. How about doing a road course in the Eastern US instead? (bringing us up to grand totals of 3 roads, 1 race in the East)

cameraman
01-17-07, 03:30 AM
Three road courses??? Try seven.

Zhuhai, China
Portland OR
Mont Tremblant QC
Road America WI
Assen Holland
Zolder Belgium
Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez Mexico

Plus two good airports

Spicoli
01-17-07, 06:39 AM
dopn't believe all the ********. sour grapes in play.

RusH
01-17-07, 09:51 AM

Zhuhai, China
Portland OR
Mont Tremblant QC
Road America WI
Assen Holland
Zolder Belgium

Plus two good airports

I think Indy is talking about real race tracks for us `mericans to go to that is not near Kalifornia.:gomer:

Chiphead_Dave
01-17-07, 11:59 AM
If Denver goes away I will be pissed:flame: .

It is my home race (I live 60 miles away).
My Mom lives 6 blocks away from the course and we stay in her condo (while she watches our
kids at our house).
Every year of the race we take the kids to Friday practice and they get their
fill then my Mom takes them home (to our house) and it turns into a weekend away
for me and my Wife (i.e. No kids).

In addition Denver is a nice venue, lots of things close to do when no racing is going on.

The racing may not be the best but there is more passing than the last time I went to Laguna.

So for me Denver is the best of all worlds....a fun family event that is
also a get away for the adults.

Champ Car Dont let Denver die or it may be last CC race I see in person for a long time.

Indy
01-17-07, 12:31 PM

Zhuhai, China
Portland OR
Mont Tremblant QC
Road America WI
Assen Holland
Zolder Belgium

Plus two good airports

Sorry, forgot the qualifier. I meant US road courses.

I may go to MT in '08. Next best thing, travel-wise. Airports are fun, too, but are sort of a compromise in my mind.

I am glad that the overseas races are roads, so that I can enjoy the broadcasts more. Plus, Surfer's is such a good layout that it practically qualifies as a road in my mind.

Didn't mean to be too negative.

stroker
01-17-07, 06:42 PM
Maybe I'm way off base, but I think there's a perceived value in NOT losing another "urban" race. If CC walks away, the message is to all future city governments, "Yeah, this can be a big deal, but if the sponsor doesn't come through we'll drop it like roadkill..." Hardly confidence inspiring. It also taints them with a tinge of BE with the "pay up or we're outta here" thing.

CC needs to be making long term partnerships, and they've got a lot invested in the Denver race. The circuit, while a long way from LB in quality, does have a certain character. I think they either need to sack up and pay for a year or two until title/event sponsors are online, or else get that East Coast race out with a Big Splash to counteract the loss of Denver.

apex
01-17-07, 07:02 PM
well, maybe the retainment of NEXT Marketing as the series official Sales Agency in part has to do with finding a new Denver sponsor and promoter. I would think KK and Forsythe would want Denver to be high up on the list NEXT's priorities.

SurfaceUnits
01-18-07, 06:03 AM
Two Denver paper articles that leave you with somewhat different views:

http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_5034166

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/racing/article/0,1299,DRMN_52_5287779,00.html

Jayblues
01-19-07, 01:50 PM
isn't pikes peak already torn down?

:gomer:

i drove past it in Oct, it looked pristine.

Spicoli
01-19-07, 04:56 PM
i drove past it in Oct, it looked pristine.

the TRACK supposedly is gone or is going.

Wally
01-19-07, 06:15 PM
Was PPIR not sold to and ISC friendly developer that was contracted to remove it and not build another track there or anywhere else with in a 100 miles?:confused:

SurfaceUnits
01-20-07, 02:22 AM
Some interesting stuff:

PPIR
Former PPIR president Rob Johnson was hired in March as vice president of Sutton International Motorsports and general manager of the Grand Prix of Denver.

The track's sales manager, Jeff Taylor Sr., became marketing director at Darlington (S.C.) Raceway. Gerry Blackwell and Danelle Rice, who worked in ticketing, landed similar jobs at the Colorado Springs-based Professional Bull Riders, Inc. Clark Curtis, the director of public relations, accepted a PR job Monday at Miller Motorsports Park outside Salt Lake City.

Johnson maintains he had "no control" over ISC's decision to close PPIR, which was built in 1997 for $35 million.

"It was a complete, absolute, total surprise to me," Johnson said. "But our ownership group put the track up for sale. Somebody paid the price they wanted, and (ISC) has the right to do what they want."

------

It was my understanding that one of the big reasons the track was bought by ISC (International Speedway Corp.) was to get the July BUSCH race and move it to Martinsville, where it will be held this year on July 22, the first time for a BUSCH race there in many years. Along with that, it was stated that PPIR would be torn down and much of its physical components, grandstands, elevators, timing equipment, etc., would go to other ISC tracks that might need it.

A few years ago PPIR and ISC entered into a mutual admiration society in which ISC would help with their experience in marketing, advertising, promotion, etc. They did not buy into it. The Lehman Co. (?), who are into the stock market, real estate, and who knows what else, were the owners of the track. It is true that PPIR was not a big money maker. (NASCAR wouldn't give us a Cup race even though we could have enlarged the facility to 80,000+ in a short period of time.) However, it was not losing money, and, I'm told, they would stay with us. As happens in this world, things changed. ISC bought the track, took the BUSCH race to Martinsville, and as I've said, were going to tear it down.

PPIR still stands in all its glory. Little problem. It's up for sale by ISC, provided the buyer doesn't hold any nationally sanctioned (NASCAR, IRL, AMA, etc.) races and can do with only 4,000 seats. Supposedly, as they said before, a lot of stuff (36,000 grandstand seats ?) will be taken to other ISC tracks. Who in the world is going to buy a one-mile oval with a mile-and-a-third road course, that can't hold a big-time event and only has 4,000 seats?

Two theories:
Theory #1: ISC has big plans for a major track in the Denver area and doesn't want any competition from a track that close by. Well, dream away ISC. First of all, we've heard that story before. Big plans for a superspeedway, drag strip, hotels, shopping center, and like that. That was several years ago. What happened? A whole lot of people didn't want it in their back yard, the FAA wasn't too happy about a 747 dropping to a grandstand, and if I remember right, there was some talk about who was going to pay for it.

Now the ISC has taken a page from the NFL owners, and figure that the local townspeople would be so thrilled with having NASCAR in their midst, that they would ante-up with a new tax for that privilege. Well, . . . Denver already has the Bronco's, the Rockies, the Avalanche, the Crush, and a couple of others I can't think of at the moment. How far will a persons entertainment dollar go? Now if ISC wants to pay the whole bill, that's another matter. But don't count on it.

If you haven't been to Denver in the past ten years, you've got a shock coming. Same with Colorado Springs. Probably the same everywhere. What do you build race tracks on? Land. You cannot imagine how Denver and Colorado Springs. have grown. And it ain't slowing down. So where do you build a new race track? Out in the boon-docks? There ain't no more boon-docks. I can remember when . . . . never mind.

That's a main reason I don't think you'll see a new race track anywhere near Denver. If they do build one, it would almost have to be to the east and probably far enough east, that you just as well go to Kansas Speedway. It won't be much further. And they can't build to the West. Seems there's a bunch of mountains there. Sure, you can build houses on mountains, but a speedway?
-------------------------------------------------
And what is the Denver Grand Prix general manager up to these days:

Billiard Congress of America Hopes to Rev the Industy's Engines with New Executive Director

Press Release

In a move that Billiard Congress of America (BCA) directors hope will put the association’s desire to become more of a marketing arm for the billiards industry on a fast track, the BCA announced the selection of veteran motorsports executive Rob Johnson as its new executive director.

Johnson, whose most recent duties as executive vice president/general manager of Sutton International Motorsports included the staging and marketing of the Grand Prix of Denver, was unanimously confirmed by the BCA board of directors at its meeting in Baltimore, Aug. 13. At Sutton, Johnson managed sales, marketing and public relations initiatives for NASCAR, Baja and Champ Car projects. In 2002, Johnson formed Professional Sports Management, a company that managed and operated the Pikes Peak International Raceway, a 1,200-acre, 42,000-seat motorsports complex that hosted major events, including NASCAR and Indy Racing League.

“We’re very fortunate to have found someone of Mr. Johnson’s caliber," said BCA President Gregg Hovey, of Olhausen Billiards. “He has experience taking major projects from inception to the finish line. He’s gotten major races off the ground, and has put butts in the seats.”

The move follows the retirement of Steve Ducoff, who led the BCA office for nearly six years, and coincides with the association’s revised long-term vision. “We’re looking for someone to develop ideas to get pool into the forefront of consumers’ minds,” said Hovey. “We think this will also get our membership excited, and will even help grow our membership.”

Johnson, who graduated from the University of Colorado’s School of Journalism and Mass Communications, currently resides in the Denver area. With the lease on the BCA’s current Colorado Springs offices set to expire in April 2007, Hovey did not discount the notion that the association’s offices might relocate to Denver. “We’ll wait for Rob’s proposal once he’s had a chance to work in the office and evaluate the staff and the association’s needs,” Hovey said.