PDA

View Full Version : Red Tyres

SurfaceUnits
01-15-07, 10:22 AM
It appears that all F1 teams will be forced to use both a hard and soft compond Bridgestone tyre during each race in 2007 with Red Rubber being used in one compound to allow views to know who is running on which compound at any time during a race.

It is understood that all eleven teams and the FIA have agreed to implement the rule for 2007.

In a bid to spice up on track action in the new era of a single tyre supplier, all teams will complete each race using a combination of tyre specifications.

The 2007 FIA Sporting Regulations (article 77) state

a) Each team will be allocated eight sets of dry-weather tyres, four of each specification, for use during P1 and P2 [friday sessions]. These are the only dry-weather tyres which may be used during these sessions and must be returned to the tyre supplier before the start of P3.

b) Each driver will be allocated ten further sets of dry-weather tyres, five of each specification, for use during the remainder of the Event. However, one set of each specification must be returned to the tyre supplier before the start of the qualifying practice session and may not be used during the remainder of the Event.

c) Prior to the start of the qualifying practice session wet and extreme-weather tyres may only be used after the track has been declared wet by the race director, following which extreme, wet or dryweather tyres may be used for the remainder of the session.

d) Unless he has used wet or extreme-weather tyres during the race, each driver must use at least one set of each specification of dry-weather tyres during the race.

It is thought that borrowing an idea from Champ Car racing, the softer compound will be identified by having a red tyre wall.

NismoZ
01-15-07, 12:09 PM
Oh, so it's the red color idea they copied? I see.

jonovision_man
01-15-07, 05:24 PM
Doesn't sound like it:

http://motorsport-network.net/formula1/F1-_Bridgestone_play_down_red_rule_likelihood.shtml

A high ranking Bridgestone engineer has played down as speculation suggestions that a 'red-tyre rule' could be imposed in F1 next year.

"As we speak there has been no request (from the FIA) for us to implement that (rule),"

jono

ferrarigod
01-15-07, 06:22 PM
Actually we are copying them. In 2004 at Bridgestone Support Relief they made tyres like those below in my pic. There was talk that Ferrari would use Red, Green for Jaguar, blah blah blah for the others. Also, the talk started long before the 2004 BSR. But it was the first time chemically altered non black tires were shown.

http://www.pitpass.com/images/galleries/2004sportrelief/2004sportrelief_s001.jpg

ferrarigod
01-15-07, 06:23 PM
http://www.pitpass.com/images/galleries/2004sportrelief/2004sportrelief_s009.jpg
http://www.pitpass.com/images/galleries/2004sportrelief/2004sportrelief_s006.jpg

Tony George
01-15-07, 06:39 PM
Old news. Benetton used colored tires back in the 80s. :gomer:

SurfaceUnits
01-15-07, 08:57 PM
Doesn't sound like it:
http://motorsport-network.net/formula1/F1-_Bridgestone_play_down_red_rule_likelihood.shtml
jono Old story you linked there,

jonovision_man
01-15-07, 09:36 PM
Old story you linked there,

Oops.

Have a link for yours? :)

jono

SurfaceUnits
01-15-07, 09:48 PM
http://www.wheels24.co.za/Wheels24/NewsPics/0,,1369-1375_2055132,00.html

jonovision_man
01-15-07, 10:01 PM
Thanks...

I like the idea, but won't believe it until I see it on Autosport. :) The part where all the teams agreed to it makes me a little skeptical.

jono

theunions
01-16-07, 01:00 AM
Old news. Benetton used colored tires back in the 80s. :gomer:

Just the sidewalls though, not the treads, and not integrated into the compound.

NismoZ
01-16-07, 01:32 PM
Excuse me fellas, are we talking pretty colored tires here or mandated use of different compound tires during the race, identified by a red side stripe? That's all I was referencing.

oddlycalm
01-16-07, 03:17 PM
Just as in Champ Car this is a gimmick to focus some attention on Bridgestone in the absence of any tire competition. The fact that it's being allowed to happen in F1 is just the latest indication that Bernie and Max need to retire. So far the drivers seem unanimous in their opinion that the new tires suck. I doubt the suckage will be any less with a red stripe and a slightly different compound.

oc

NismoZ
01-16-07, 03:27 PM
Yeah, but they'll ALL suck, so you shouldn't see some blowing up and others making drivers look better than they really are.

Insomniac
01-16-07, 04:09 PM
Excuse me fellas, are we talking pretty colored tires here or mandated use of different compound tires during the race, identified by a red side stripe? That's all I was referencing.

I was thinking both. Instead of a lame red stripe to identify the tires which you need the right angle to see, the tire would be a red compound.

eiregosod
01-17-07, 01:41 PM
Just as in Champ Car this is a gimmick to focus some attention on Bridgestone in the absence of any tire competition. The fact that it's being allowed to happen in F1 is just the latest indication that Bernie and Max need to retire. So far the drivers seem unanimous in their opinion that the new tires suck. I doubt the suckage will be any less with a red stripe and a slightly different compound.

oc

Bernie can't retire because all his cash and the cash of CVC, Royal Bank of Scotland & Lehman Bros. is tied up in Formula One Administration and various subsidiaries.

Accipiter
01-17-07, 01:47 PM
Thanks...

I like the idea, but won't believe it until I see it on Autosport. :) The part where all the teams agreed to it makes me a little skeptical.

jono

There is this blurb on the official F1 website:

With Bridgestone becoming Formula One racing's sole supplier for 2007, each team will receive only two specifications of tyre per event. However, they will get more sets - four per driver on the Friday and ten for the remainder of the weekend. Each driver must use both specifications during the race.

http://www.formula1.com/insight/rulesandregs/

But it does seem odd that no one else seems to be taking notice of this.

jonovision_man
01-17-07, 02:31 PM
That's strange. I thought it refered to getting a "soft" and "hard" compound then getting to choose between them, but the fact they're forcing them to use both suggests it is more like the red tire thing.

Colour me confused. :confused: Seems like entirely too big of a change to go unnoticed, but here we are. :)

jono

SurfaceUnits
01-18-07, 01:27 PM
Bridgestone says there won't be 'red tyres' because it would be too costly to produce red sets of all the different compounds.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56370

Accipiter
01-19-07, 12:07 PM
It says everyone has to use both compounds during the race, but they won't paint the sidewalls of the tires red.

Ankf00
01-19-07, 01:10 PM
isn't Bernie due for an anheurism or coronary sometime soon?

NismoZ
01-19-07, 01:15 PM
So the race spectators, TV viewers and commentators won't know who is running what and the teams probably won't know what the opposition is doing? So...it's just a crap shoot to spice things up? Mandating use of a 2nd compound in a race is designed to give teams one more problem to solve another decision to make, a gamble to take...but if only a few guys sitting on pit stands wearing headphones in front of computers know what's going on, what's the point? I like the CC idea because the fan is let in on the strategy and we can see real-time if it is succeeding. Mexico City was an excellent example. In F-1 will we only know what teams did by the after race reports?

Insomniac
01-20-07, 03:21 PM
So the race spectators, TV viewers and commentators won't know who is running what and the teams probably won't know what the opposition is doing? So...it's just a crap shoot to spice things up? Mandating use of a 2nd compound in a race is designed to give teams one more problem to solve another decision to make, a gamble to take...but if only a few guys sitting on pit stands wearing headphones in front of computers know what's going on, what's the point? I like the CC idea because the fan is let in on the strategy and we can see real-time if it is succeeding. Mexico City was an excellent example. In F-1 will we only know what teams did by the after race reports?

As it seems for so many things in F1, every team will probably settle on the same strategy and run the tires at the nearly the same time.

SurfaceUnits
01-30-07, 07:15 AM
F1's governing body plans to impose an alternative to the abandoned 'red tyre rule' for the 2007 season.

The British magazine Autosport reports that, as a complement to the new regulation requiring drivers to race both types of Bridgestone specification supplied at each grand prix, teams could also be asked to publish their initial tyre choice.

The information would be published immediately after the start of the grands prix in order to protect the secrecy of drivers' race strategies, if the proposal by the FIA's Charlie Whiting is imposed.

The rule would eliminate the need for the Champ Car-style 'red tyre' regulation, which is understood to have been ruled out by the teams because their rivals would be able to predict tyre strategy prior to the start of races.

Insomniac
01-30-07, 08:32 AM
F1's governing body plans to impose an alternative to the abandoned 'red tyre rule' for the 2007 season.

The British magazine Autosport reports that, as a complement to the new regulation requiring drivers to race both types of Bridgestone specification supplied at each grand prix, teams could also be asked to publish their initial tyre choice.

The information would be published immediately after the start of the grands prix in order to protect the secrecy of drivers' race strategies, if the proposal by the FIA's Charlie Whiting is imposed.

The rule would eliminate the need for the Champ Car-style 'red tyre' regulation, which is understood to have been ruled out by the teams because their rivals would be able to predict tyre strategy prior to the start of races.

And then they'd clue us in after every change of tires? I mean, only disclosing at the start of the race works if they can change tires once (for clueing in those who are watching).