PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about Mario's crash...

Lizzerd
04-25-03, 02:45 AM
I've read and heard the same quotes from this link (http://espn.go.com/rpm/irl/2003/0423/1543659.html) here and elsewhere in the past couple days, but something still disturbes me, and I'm not sure what it is.

Mario said:
"There was no yellow light and it happened so fast there wasn't any time for anyone to warn me," he said. "I came out of Turn 1 at full throttle and all of the sudden there was debris everywhere.

"The debris was still moving across the track, so it wasn't like the accident had been sitting there for a second or two. I needed another second to react to it. If there would have been another second, they could have warned me."

Yet, if you have seen the video, he "flew" by a safety truck that was already on the track on its way to Brack's car, albeit on the inside apron. Brack's car had already come to a stop. I have been to that area of the speedway hundreds of times, and from where that truck was on the track on the video, it had to have left its post at least five seconds before Mario hit the debris. Granted, the truck probably left its post nearly immediately after Brack's contact, but five sesonds is a long time in racing terms.

Something just doesn't seem right here...

a) If what Mario said is right, that the yellow light hadn't been turned on, why was the truck on the track while it was still green?

b) If the yellow had been requested by the track observers in the vicinity, thus sending the truck onto the track, why wasn't it on when Mario arrived at the scene?

c) Did Mario miss seeing a yellow light that was indeed on?

d) Was Mario making excuses? Is his memory failing him? Did his pride get in the way of screwing up?

I don't know what the answer is, but somehow this incident reeks of lap 199 of the 2002 version of "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing". I tend to believe Mario, that the yellow light had not been illuminated, but I admittedly say that with a bias.
It seems to me that absolutely nothing has been done to coordinate track lights with the observer stations, the dash lights in the cars, the tower, or the starter's flag. How the heck could the fiasco and resultant robbery of a legitimate win by PT last year not prompt some action by Boy George and his minions to prevent a similar incident? Especially one that coud have been injurious or worse?

If you wanna talk about circus clowns...

cart7
04-25-03, 06:07 AM
Some, at the track observers at TF, that were sitting in the south bleachers (the only ones open during testing), said that they saw the crash in front of them and they could here another car(Mario) coming into 1 at full bore. Obviously, the way sound travels, especially at the speedway if it's empty, it would have been difficult for them to ascertain exactly were Mario was in relation to the crash.

Some else said the video does show the green light still on as Mario is approaching the wreck site. As for the safety truck, I believe the crash happened right in front of them so that would explain their quick response. My question is, Why didn't AGR have a spotter yelling "Crash in 1-2!!!" positioned somewhere in the turn 1 - 2 complex? After last years incident's, I sure wouldn't rely on the pathetic Speedway race control to correctly display the yellow in a timely manner, especially when it's my 63 year old Father out on the track.

Too bad the video of the wreck picks it up so late. I don't think you'll be able to correctly determine anything from that.

Napoleon
04-25-03, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by Lizzerd
If you wanna talk about circus clowns...

Brian Barnhart is the biggest of circus clowns.

Gurneyflap
04-25-03, 05:55 PM
I was just scared before, now I'm getting mad! No yellow? Think Mario has asked the right questions of the right people? This is not a sport that can tolerate slow learners!

Ziggy
04-25-03, 06:38 PM
Before you work yourself into any more of a lather.. Remember this, never, never ever, were multi cars allowed to test. One car at a time thank you, this is Indy. This was before all the money got ran out of town by Tony's vision. Why do you test one week prior to the track opening anyway? What is practice for???

When the light came on, is Mario blind, did IMS try to screw him? Is a moot point. IMS has already demenstrated their deft trigger finger on the light system. If you dont believe me, ask Paul Tracy. Now it was a test "session" (read, open practice for those who could afford it)so the officialdumb was few and far between. See, it was euker night at Rolands Retirement Home, so over half of the "officials" were busy.

Ziggy

trubritz
04-25-03, 07:16 PM
Lizzerd, the very same thoughts went through my head when I heard Mario's comments.

While it does reek of 2002's fiasco, it also in many ways is eerily reminscent of the F1 race in Brazil a few short weeks ago....

JLMannin
04-25-03, 11:12 PM
We all know that a caution period at indy begins when Barnhart makes the decision to go yellow. :shakehead

I hear that a yellow light came on in Helio's house in Miami at the exact moment Barnhart thought about issuing the command to go yellow. This discussion is moot, as the decision to go yellow is unprotestable. :shakehead :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :shakehead