PDA

View Full Version : Weather Forecast Puzzler

nrc
01-15-07, 03:46 AM
Ok, here's something I don't understand about weather forecasts. Our forecast calls for a high of 43 °F and a low of 37 °F on Monday and a high of 34 °F and low of 23 °F on Tuesday.

How does this work? At midnight on Monday night is the temperature going to jump from 37 to 34? Does some period of time durning the night just not count? If I'm outside during that time do I wear a jacket? :confused:

WickerBill
01-15-07, 06:01 AM
Do any of your weathermen in O-hi-o do the "kids write in and ask a weather question" routine?

Someone here in Indy used to, and a kid wrote in with that exact question. Our guy said that low temp is never recorded until after a. high temp or b. 7am for any given 00:01 - 23:59 period. So the temperature between midnight and high temp is basically ignored, unless the temp at 7am is lower than it's gonna get the rest of the day.

Kinda dumb...

nrc
01-15-07, 02:53 PM
Thanks, WB. I knew there must be some kind of secret weatherman conspiracy going on. Come to think of it, I've sometimes heard the TV guys use the phrase "overnight low" which must be their code phrase for "that secret non-time that we don't normally keep track of".

Spicoli
01-15-07, 03:34 PM
This only goes to show that you should only pay attentiopn to WeatherPersons who are hot, because none of them know what the **** they are talking about anyway. :D

JoeBob
01-15-07, 04:45 PM
Last night, watching our News, the weatherdude had a graphic reporting today's low as 12 degrees, and the current temperature as 11 degrees. He sort of stopped, and then said, "I guess we just set a new low."

Of course, for some reason KARE 11 here in the Twin Cities has their weather people start their report at the news desk, and then stroll outside for the rest of the report. It doesn't matter if it is raining, hailing, 20 below. They point at their green screen while standing outside.

Maybe the cold and snow not to 'em.

Dave99
01-17-07, 12:32 PM
At midnight on Monday night is the temperature going to jump from 37 to 34?:confused:
Are the daytime high temps normally recorded at midnight? You know, before it's actually daytime? :confused:

nrc
01-17-07, 05:29 PM
Are the daytime high temps normally recorded at midnight? You know, before it's actually daytime? :confused:
Not often. But it's not unusual for the temperature to drop so much overnight that the high during the next day never reaches the early morning temperature from the night before.

Insomniac
01-17-07, 06:32 PM
I always thought it was the daytime high and the overnight low.

Wabbit
01-17-07, 07:20 PM
I like it when I hear on the radio, "Expect a high temperature of 42 degrees today. Currently it is 44 degrees."

Figure that one out.

Dave99
01-17-07, 08:07 PM
Not often. But it's not unusual for the temperature to drop so much overnight that the high during the next day never reaches the early morning temperature from the night before.
Then, yes, wear a jacket.

racermike
01-18-07, 12:51 AM
I like it when I hear on the radio, "Expect a high temperature of 42 degrees today. Currently it is 44 degrees."

Figure that one out.

Or, "we should get only a dusting of snow tomorrow morning, maybe up to an inch in the higher elevations", only to get white out conditions, and 5-7 inches of snow.