PDA

View Full Version : hi-def tele - technial question

rosawendel
01-14-07, 01:58 PM
i just got a new 37 inch lcd (768p resolution). The cable company (Time Warner)'s hi-def box came with component video cables, but the box (and the tv) have outpus / inputs for s-video and HDMI. What are the resolution limitations for each type? should i not worry about HDMI because the tele isn't capable of 1080p?

curious. I want to be sure that i'm getting the highest resolution that i can, but if i don't need HDMI cables to achieve the 780p, then i'm okay with leaving the setup as is (i'm noticing HDMI cables can be quite expensive).

KLang
01-14-07, 02:15 PM
Component will carry the signal, 720p or 1080i, just fine. I've read differing opinions on HDMI making a visable difference. I suspect on a 37" set the difference, if any, would be hard to see. S-video, IIRC won't go above 480i.

You will want to experiment with the output of the cable box, either 720p or 1080i to see which looks better.

Edit:
You (and all of us) might someday be forced to use HDMI. The broadcasters have the option of setting a flag that will not allow a full resolution signal to pass over an analog (such as component) output. Nobody is doing it yet though.

rosawendel
01-14-07, 05:41 PM
thanks for the insight. sorry about the numbers being off, i went by the manufacturer's numbers (out of the crutchfield catalogue), as opposed to the standard. still learning...

CART 500
01-14-07, 05:51 PM
i just got a new 37 inch lcd (768p resolution). The cable company (Time Warner)'s hi-def box came with component video cables, but the box (and the tv) have outpus / inputs for s-video and HDMI. What are the resolution limitations for each type? should i not worry about HDMI because the tele isn't capable of 1080p?

curious. I want to be sure that i'm getting the highest resolution that i can, but if i don't need HDMI cables to achieve the 780p, then i'm okay with leaving the setup as is (i'm noticing HDMI cables can be quite expensive).

What ever cables you decide to go with check out Sams Club.The have a good selection of Phillips brand cables for a fraction of the price of the rip off Monster Cables.

KLang
01-14-07, 05:51 PM
thanks for the insight. sorry about the numbers being off, i went by the manufacturer's numbers (out of the crutchfield catalogue), as opposed to the standard. still learning...

768P is likely correct for the resolution of the TV. It will take whatever is input and scale to it's native resolution.

Stu
01-14-07, 07:03 PM
basically what everyone else is saying.

for now, use component cables and set the box to output 720p ftw.

if you want to get intense, build an HTPC and set the resolution to the exact resolution of the tv, let the htpc do all the work to convert the signal. also makes for a kick butt dvr.

G.
01-14-07, 07:26 PM
if you want to get intense, build an HTPC and set the resolution to the exact resolution of the tv, let the htpc do all the work to convert the signal. also makes for a kick butt dvr.:confused:

cameraman
01-14-07, 08:26 PM
HTPC = Home Theater Pee Cee

oddlycalm
01-14-07, 08:48 PM
Not a big surprise to hear that a cable company would by supplying HD boxes with connections circa 1997. The component connection will work fine and we can assume that Time Warner will eventually discover HDMI...

oc

chop456
01-16-07, 04:09 AM
we can assume that Time Warner will eventually discover HDMI...

Time Warner hasn't even disconvered the NFL network yet. :gomer:

Hard Driver
01-16-07, 06:13 AM
Do not use s-video.

Componant is fine, it is analog input though and then getting converted back to digital again in the set.

HDMI is digital to there is no digital to analog to digital conversion. It is also needed for the new HD-DVD or blue ray standards by what I hear. So in the long run, that is the best way to go.

Stu
01-16-07, 08:30 AM
Time Warner hasn't even disconvered the NFL network yet. :gomer:

I've discovered it and it sucks. No one is missing anything.

Stu
01-16-07, 08:31 AM
HDMI is digital to there is no digital to analog to digital conversion. It is also needed for the new HD-DVD or blue ray standards by what I hear. So in the long run, that is the best way to go.

Only if you have a TV capable of displaying 1080p. If you don't, the blu-ray or hddvd player will pass through 720p or 1080i via the component cables.

chop456
01-16-07, 08:44 AM
I've discovered it and it sucks. No one is missing anything.

They're missing games that they can't see anywhere else in some cases. I like the condensed replays, too.

Insomniac
01-16-07, 09:56 AM
They're missing games that they can't see anywhere else in some cases. I like the condensed replays, too.

Only out of market games though. And, if you cared about those you'd have DirecTV.

chop456
01-16-07, 10:03 AM
Yeah, getting extra NFL programming and games for free sucks.

KLang
01-16-07, 10:14 AM
Do not use s-video.

Not necessarily true. It all depends on which piece of equipment has the better scaler. With my previous HD satellite receiver I ran an s-video connection for SD programming because the TV did a better job of converting 480i to 1080i. My new receiver now does better then the TV so I route everything through the component connection.

It is a good idea to try the various connection options to see what works best with your mix of equipment.

Insomniac
01-16-07, 10:51 AM
Yeah, getting extra NFL programming and games for free sucks.

For free? That's why TW doesn't have it (at a minimum, not on basic cable, I'm not sure if they have it on digital cable). The rate the NFL wants would surely guarantee prices go up for every subscriber.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, it's a good channel. Just wanted to clarify you wouldn't miss your local/home teams games, that's all.

Stu
01-16-07, 07:54 PM

Talk to me when they get rid of the worst announce team in the history of the NFL.

Until then, you aren't missing anything if you don't have the NFL network.

Ankf00
01-16-07, 08:12 PM
the worst camera angles, production quality, pre/post game, etc.

Don Quixote
01-16-07, 08:21 PM
not to mention, really bad games also.

nrc
01-16-07, 08:36 PM
Replays are nice, as is the post-game coach interview show. As for the games - at least there are no desperate houswives promos or pimping celebs in the booth.

Insomniac
01-16-07, 09:03 PM
Talk to me when they get rid of the worst announce team in the history of the NFL.

Until then, you aren't missing anything if you don't have the NFL network.

There aren't more than a couple good ones it seems. :(