PDA

View Full Version : bad guy wins one

G.
01-12-07, 02:33 PM
This sounds cool. Could get big. And FTG's on board.:yuck:

Oh, well, even the blind squirrel, and all that rot...

http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070110/FREE/70110006/1036/FREE

Hydrogen Electric Racing Federation looks to revolutionize motorsports

By MAC MORRISON

AutoWeek | Published 01/10/07, 11:38 am et

January 10, 2007 may or may not be remembered as a seminal day in racing history, but if a proposed 500 mile race runs in May 2009—perhaps at Indianapolis Motor Speedway— featuring hydrogen fuel cell-powered electric vehicles, it will mark the beginning of a new era as the sport fights to remain relevant and responsible in evolving environmental and automotive market climates.

devilmaster
01-12-07, 02:42 PM
I guess corn wasn't good enough?

Are they even still bothering with the corn fuel bit? :tony:

But lets be honest here. The corn fuel hasn't garnered continued national headlines. Just a few stories by writers when it was announced. So I doubt this is some major coup.

cameraman
01-12-07, 03:20 PM
Especially given that algae biodiesel might work in the real world...

"The Center Solar Biofuels Technology is developing a solar-powered photobioreactor, which uses minimal land and water resources to efficiently grow high oil content micro-algae as a feedstock for biofuels such as biodiesel."

http://media.bonnint.net/slc/66/6653/665372.jpg

"For soybeans, you get about 48 gallons per acre. And right now, the idea is for algae, we could get about 10-thousand gallons of oil per acre."

G.
01-13-07, 07:29 PM
I believe that the Big Three are going down the fuel cell path, which is why they are teh suck with the gas-lectric hybrids.

Seriously, this could be big. Bigger that flying rockets, that's for sure.:)

SteveH
01-13-07, 07:51 PM
I believe that the Big Three

Gentilozzi, Kalkhoven and Forsythe?

Cool, Cosworth's manufacturing fuel cells.

You heard it here first, folks.

DagoFast
01-13-07, 08:10 PM
Audi & Peugeot have it right with their diesels. And Cameraman hit the bullseye on fuel, algae could easily produce enough fuel to put the middle east out of business.

Oh yeah, the phrase: "brainchild of Peter DeLorenzo" should be a really big clue.

matthole
01-13-07, 09:04 PM
Oh yeah, the phrase: "brainchild of Peter DeLorenzo" should be a really big clue.

:eek: :rofl:

That's a stamp of credibility on a par with TRAC! :saywhat:

cameraman
01-14-07, 12:26 AM
Fuel Cells:rolleyes:

Oxygen and hydrogen like being together, it takes serious energy to break up the romance. We need energy sources where nature does the heavy lifting not us or our machines. Hydrogen is expensive to make and a bitch to transport and store.

Biodiesel coming from lower plant forms that can generate a continuous, year round yield are the way to go. Think about this, carbon released by burning biodiesel was fixed from the atmosphere by the algae this year. It is a real time carbon cycle as opposed to burning coal/oil/gas that has been sequestered in the ground over tens of millions of years. Biodiesel has no greenhouse effect.

G.
01-14-07, 12:49 AM
Hydrogen is expensive to make and a bitch to transport and store.

Which means there's lotsandlotsandlots of money to be made. The Oil Cos. gotta do something, right? No political BS here, not allowed, but I think that the Big Oil is looking for what's next. Are they driving a new distribution infrastructure? I dunno.

Biodiesel coming from lower plant forms that can generate a continuous, year round yield are the way to go.

Maybe. I don't know, but sounds plausible!
Think about this, carbon released by burning biodiesel was fixed from the atmosphere by the algae this year. It is a real time carbon cycle as opposed to burning coal/oil/gas that has been sequestered in the ground over tens of millions of years.
I can't "think about this". Cuz I have no idea what you mean. I'm willing to listen/learn/debate?/discuss, but I don't understand. Help? Biodiesel has no greenhouse effect.

devilmaster
01-14-07, 01:27 AM
Completely OT but.....

G. - That hurt my head.

Who's quoting who? Who's talking about who's point? :laugh: ;)