PDA

View Full Version : LMP2 Lola Mazda

NismoZ
01-11-07, 03:56 PM
Good. Now ALMS should just uninvent the P1 class, stop waiting around for Aston Martin to decide what to do, send Corvette to Europe/LeMans (because they are waiting around for Aston to make up their minds!) and become a 2 class series. Audi wants to race itself and (perhaps ONE other) in P1? Corvette sees "some" marketing value in just showing up? P2 is obviously where it's at so if Audi wants to run in the US (because they are hesitant to "compete" with Peugeot in Europe?) slap on a technical penalty and let 'em run in the "new" P1. It's obvious Aston wants to race in Europe where I think they'd get more sympathy (?) ALMS needs to make a BOLD regs change, pronto! Quit waiting for the mfgrs. to make up your mind FOR you!

pchall
01-11-07, 04:20 PM
Wow. Somebody I can almost agree with about sports/endurance racing. ;)

All we need is a series of P2 sprint races without the silly restrictors. We'll still call it the CAN'T AM but we will all be happy again.

Maybe.
Maybe not.
Nevermind.

Sean O'Gorman
01-11-07, 05:29 PM
No rotary in this one. :(

pchall
01-11-07, 05:42 PM
No rotary in this one. :(

Great! That means I can go to the race with just some foamie plugs instead of my full on shooting head gear.

extramundane
01-11-07, 05:56 PM
Good. Now ALMS should just uninvent the P1 class, stop waiting around for Aston Martin to decide what to do, send Corvette to Europe/LeMans (because they are waiting around for Aston to make up their minds!)...It's obvious Aston wants to race in Europe where I think they'd get more sympathy (?)

Aston already has decided what to do, which is to race Corvette in ALMS, this time with proper tires, so the Great Performance Balancing Debacle of 2006 is (hopefully) avoided.

Audi wants to race itself and (perhaps ONE other) in P1? Corvette sees "some" marketing value in just showing up? P2 is obviously where it's at so if Audi wants to run in the US (because they are hesitant to "compete" with Peugeot in Europe?) slap on a technical penalty and let 'em run in the "new" P1. ALMS needs to make a BOLD regs change, pronto! Quit waiting for the mfgrs. to make up your mind FOR you!

P2 is only "where it's at" because the ACO regs on fuel effectively cut gasoline-powered cars off at the knees. That's the #1 problem that needs fixing: had they properly addressed capacity & restrictor sizes, you'd have at least 3 more cars in P1 at this point. The IMSA bulletin just released gives them slightly more adjustment ability on diesel capacity, but at this point, they could force Audi to pit every other lap and they'd still win class.
[/hijack]

The Mazda's still gonna suck.

NismoZ
01-13-07, 08:49 AM
Hadn't heard that. In fact Gavin was quoted as saying he didn't know what Aston's plans were and Corvette was waiting around for them to decide. New word says all four of Astons drivers have made other plans now and Pro Drive is supposed to be concentrating on F-1 entry. So, GM to Europe? RIP GT-1?

pchall
01-13-07, 10:25 AM
New 2.0l turbo 4 cylinder

http://media.ford.com/mazda/article_display.cfm?article_id=25224

All New MZR-R Engine

MAZDASPEED engineers in the U.S. and Japan, in conjunction with U.K. based Advanced Engine Research Ltd (AER), will debut an all-new MZR-R prototype engine at the 2007 12 Hours of Sebring. The new engine, a clean sheet design, is a turbocharged 2.0 liter in-line four cylinder. The performance goals for the engine are 500hp and 400 lb-ft, with the durability to succeed in such grueling races as the 12 Hours of Sebring and the 10-hour Petit Le Mans. The engineering team is working to incorporate the production-based Mazda Direct Injection Spark Ignition (DISI) system into the race motor. The technical collaboration between Mazda and AER has been non-stop in preparation for the season- opener at Sebring.

MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development Manager Steve Sanders stated, “Given the rules package, we needed to make a radical change to be able to match the competition. The current conditions and rules simply do not allow our rotary engine to have any competitive advantage, hence the move to piston power this season.”

Sanders continued, “The Mazda and AER engineers are working closely with Honeywell Turbo Technologies on the development of a new Garrett motorsports turbocharger design for this engine program. The overall LMP2 program is driven by Mazda engineering, as we use motorsports to help develop future advanced technologies with the potential to transfer over to our production vehicles.”

Mazda remains firmly committed to the rotary engine, in the street-going RX-8 four-door sportscar and racing classes like Grand Am GT and the one-make professional Star Mazda formula car series.

While the new engine will be exclusive to B-K Motorsports in 2007, the long-term goal is to add teams in both the American Le Mans Series as well as the Le Mans Endurance Series in Europe in 2008.

NismoZ
01-13-07, 12:17 PM
That is just so much FUN to read. Something new. A clean sheet. A 500hp I4 turbo. Thats what I wanted to see in Atlantics when we were speculating on the new car way back when. Little did we know they WERE going to do that...and put it in a sportcar! Good for them. (I think I'll MazdaSpeed up my M6Sportwagon! Where do I go, Racing Beat?:) )

extramundane
01-15-07, 03:53 PM
Hadn't heard that. In fact Gavin was quoted as saying he didn't know what Aston's plans were and Corvette was waiting around for them to decide. New word says all four of Astons drivers have made other plans now and Pro Drive is supposed to be concentrating on F-1 entry. So, GM to Europe? RIP GT-1?

A lot has changed in the last couple of weeks, apparently. Aston's up in the air more than ever now. Who knows.

My interest is fading fast anyway, so it's likely I won't even care in another two months.

Easy
01-15-07, 11:33 PM
A lot has changed in the last couple of weeks, apparently. Aston's up in the air more than ever now. Who knows.

My interest is fading fast anyway, so it's likely I won't even care in another two months.

Enge420 signed with with PWL. Could be a hint. And not giving a ****, yeah, I feel that.

FCYTravis
01-16-07, 12:10 AM
Wow, when extramundane is this down... :eek: :(

extramundane
01-16-07, 12:09 PM
Wow, when extramundane is this down... :eek: :(

Eh, screw it. I've watched them piss away what had the potential to be a great series with leadership decisions that screamed "Andrew Craig." Shame, too, since P2 looks set for its best ever year, and GT2 should be a barnburner as well.

On the positive side, at least we won't have to listen to David Richards & George Howard-Chappell bitch & moan every 6 seconds. :thumbup:

I'm still not watching GA though. :D

Sean O'Gorman
01-16-07, 12:47 PM
You should try autocrossing or track days. Its amazing how racing can be enjoyable again once you are a relevant part of the event instead of just an ignored bystander for an obscure series. :thumbup:

Redwing
01-16-07, 04:08 PM
You should try autocrossing or track days. Its amazing how racing can be enjoyable again once you are a relevant part of the event instead of just an ignored bystander for an obscure series. :thumbup:

Right on! Don't forget karting, as well. A few laps in a kart, or a couple of runs through the cones and you'll know why no one shows up to watch road racing in this country anymore - it's because they're DOING it. Vote with your feet!!

formulaben
01-16-07, 05:16 PM
Right on! Don't forget karting, as well.

By far and away, the best bang for the buck. When compared to nearly any single-seat formula, the kart is a tremendous value (and probably much more fun.)

cameraman
01-16-07, 05:27 PM
My wife wouldn't mind if she never saw another race but she really likes to go karting.

formulaben
01-16-07, 05:32 PM
Good catch, Cameradude!

FCYTravis
01-16-07, 09:09 PM
Right on! Don't forget karting, as well. A few laps in a kart, or a couple of runs through the cones and you'll know why no one shows up to watch road racing in this country anymore - it's because they're DOING it. Vote with your feet!!
I think this is more prescient than it seems. Road racing in America has never been so participant-driven... it's even to the point where the limiting factor to events has become the availability of track time and race officials, rather than trying to round up drivers.

An amazing transformation, to be sure.

nissan gtp
01-16-07, 09:39 PM
I think this is more prescient than it seems. Road racing in America has never been so participant-driven... it's even to the point where the limiting factor to events has become the availability of track time and race officials, rather than trying to round up drivers.

An amazing transformation, to be sure.

and don't forget lawnmower racing, it's the real real grass-roots racing :tony:

Easy
01-16-07, 09:41 PM
Eh, screw it. I've watched them piss away what had the potential to be a great series with leadership decisions that screamed "Andrew Craig." Shame, too, since P2 looks set for its best ever year, and GT2 should be a barnburner as well.

On the positive side, at least we won't have to listen to David Richards & George Howard-Chappell bitch & moan every 6 seconds. :thumbup:

I'm still not watching GA though. :D

I'm going to miss Richards' wicked cool 1986 stubble beard. :tony:

Now that the Captain is on board and has Atherton's ear I wouldn't be surprised if Rog gets his way and they cut to 2 classes (it effectively will be this year anyway). Only question then, is what do they call the series. France would pull the plug on name usage faster than they can throw a white flag.

FCYTravis
01-16-07, 10:15 PM
Now that the Captain is on board and has Atherton's ear I wouldn't be surprised if Rog gets his way and they cut to 2 classes (it effectively will be this year anyway). Only question then, is what do they call the series. France would pull the plug on name usage faster than they can throw a white flag.

Why fix what wasn't broke? IMSA Nicoderm GT Championship. Hey, Don invented the transdermal thingy, right? :D

extramundane
01-16-07, 10:29 PM

Maybe El Capitan's gonna help broker a sportscar merger, just like he helped fix open wheel. That'd be, like, awesome and stuff. :gomer:

Tim
01-16-07, 11:53 PM
I thought the thing sounded freakin awesome when I heard it.

extramundane
01-17-07, 12:34 PM
Well, Corvette's coming back (http://www.racingfanatics.com/Hot%20Wire/2007%20PRs/GM%20racing.htm).

There goes my plan to find a broke-ass old Viper, hire O'Gorman to drive it for 45 minutes, park and take home the winner's purse. I guess we could still podium, though.

FCYTravis
01-17-07, 01:54 PM
There goes my plan to find a broke-ass old Viper
Paging Carsport America :p :rofl:

extramundane
01-17-07, 02:05 PM
Paging Carsport America :p :rofl:

I'd prefer one that has at least 6 inches of unbent frame, but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

It's gonna look sweet on a U-haul trailer behind my Nissan Frontier. World Class! :thumbup:

Easy
01-17-07, 05:29 PM
I'd prefer one that has at least 6 inches of unbent frame, but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

It's gonna look sweet on a U-haul trailer behind my Nissan Frontier. World Class! :thumbup:

Two "mechanical" failures on the factory vettes at the Petit from an automatic invite for the 24. Dreams can come true. :D