PDA

View Full Version : 25 cars ordered

nrc
01-10-07, 04:04 AM
Check socks.

Minardi Team USA, PKV Racing, Newman/Haas Racing, Forsythe Championship Racing, Team Australia, Rocketsports, Mi-Jack/Conquest Racing, RuSPORT and Dale Coyne Racing are all preparing further sponsor and driver announcements for the 2007 season, with many announcements anticipated in the week leading up to the first open test. Each of those teams are anticipating having at least one car on track for the Jan 23-25 tests in Sebring, with more planning further expansion as the April 8 season opener approaches.
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=11186

Of course the story doesn't say if 25 cars includes spare cars.

Spicoli
01-10-07, 08:31 AM
Check socks.

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=11186

Of course the story doesn't say if 25 cars includes spare cars.

If you sunscribe to crackforum mentality, 25 is it for the rest of eternity!

:tony:

SurfaceUnits
01-10-07, 08:55 AM
Now that Rosco helped them get that jig thingy working, the cars are indestructible :gomer:

KLang
01-10-07, 10:21 AM
Now that Rosco helped them get that jig thingy working, the cars are indestructible :gomer:

Except of course for that chassis deformation that showed up in the illegal wind tunnel testing a couple teams did during their holiday vacation. ;)

I really think we will see 20-22 on the grid in Vegas.

NismoZ
01-10-07, 11:38 AM
OK, 10 "delivered" means 2 car teams have to practice 2 drivers in one car to start. The 25 ordered means 25 ordered which means NO backups for quite a few people I'd guess. Better tread lightly in the 3 practice sessions and between the walls at Vegas because I don't think it'd take much to reduce the field. I wonder if in a pinch a team would be allowed to run an old Lola if their '01 isn't ready to go? I think it would be negligent if very close comparisons haven't been kept to plan for such an emergency...IF for some reason 18 aren't ready to run in early events. (?)

KLang
01-10-07, 11:47 AM
OK, 10 "delivered" means 2 car teams have to practice 2 drivers in one car to start. The 25 ordered means 25 ordered which means NO backups for quite a few people I'd guess. Better tread lightly in the 3 practice sessions and between the walls at Vegas because I don't think it'd take much to reduce the field. I wonder if in a pinch a team would be allowed to run an old Lola if their '01 isn't ready to go? I think it would be negligent if very close comparisons haven't been kept to plan for such an emergency...IF for some reason 18 aren't ready to run in early events. (?)

According to manic mechanic over at crapwagon, teams have already started to receive their second cars. IIRC the initial order of 35 was to be done before the first race. It seems likely teams will be able to order additional cars after the first batch of 35 are complete.

pchall
01-10-07, 12:22 PM
Hey, if I was a Champ Car team owner I wouldn't put a sizeable deposit down on a car in the second build program until the last possible moment. A couple of hundred thou still in the bank is a better deal than a pile of CF nowhere near the autoclave.

NismoZ
01-10-07, 05:13 PM
35? That sounds better. Swift delivered (or produced?) 40, right? Who's paying the Elan overtime? I wonder if the last 25 will be as good as the 1st 10?;) Never buy a car made on Monday.:gomer:

manic mechanic
01-11-07, 02:24 AM
According to manic mechanic over at crapwagon, teams have already started to receive their second cars. IIRC the initial order of 35 was to be done before the first race. It seems likely teams will be able to order additional cars after the first batch of 35 are complete.

To clarify: I have made a few friends in the paddock over the last few years, and got wind of a few teams taking delivery of their second chassis...Evidently those who ordered a second DP01 sooner than others were able to get theirs (on a first ordered, first delivered basis) out of the second batch produced.

I remember a key figure saying that Panoz/Elan gave indications that there would be sufficient numbers of the chassis available by Vegas, and tactfully alluding to the "first run" number of 35 in the discussion. If I was putting 2+2 together and getting 5 as the result it's on my head, but I firmly believe that all teams will have cars for their drivers and most will have a spare available if one of their drivers "unscrews" a car so severely that repairs can not be made to keep the chassis raceable.

The way I see the "initial order" panning out:
20 "primary" cars
10 "spare" cars
5 chassis to be designated (depending upon team budgets).

That is what I have heard over the last 6 months and I haven't heard anything concrete to refute that information, although the "secondary delivery" info came to me more recently.

If I hear more, I'll throw down what I am allowed to. ;)

manic

NismoZ
01-11-07, 10:02 AM
Now THAT removes a lot of guesswork! (wonder which 5 teams get the 10 spares?;) ) Love that kind of post, great info, thanks!:thumbup:

SurfaceUnits
01-11-07, 03:29 PM
The Walker Racing-run Team Australia Champ Car operation has underlined its commitment to the series for the foreseeable future by ordering three of the new Panoz DP01 chassis currently being built for 2007

manic mechanic
01-12-07, 03:24 AM
Now THAT removes a lot of guesswork! (wonder which 5 teams get the 10 spares?;) ) Love that kind of post, great info, thanks!:thumbup:

I'm pretty sure that (if the chassis were ordered) it will be 10 teams, 10 spares, and not one per driver but you never know.
Teams with greater resources (N/H, Forsythe. PKV, etc.) may have ordered 3 at the get-go and may be in front of other organizations... We know that Walker/TA have ordered 3 (or so the PR machine says) already, so who's to say which team will have spares for both drivers once the green drops Friday (April 6th) in Vegas.

I hope every team has a spare just to level the playing field, but NOBODY really knows right now... I'm not THAT close to things! :p

manic

KLang
01-12-07, 12:37 PM
Confirmation of second car at PCM (http://www.pcmracing.com/)

Oxnard, CA (January 11, 2007) – The entire Pacific Coast Motorsports organization is hard at work as they prepare for their Champ Car debut. The team’s second DP01 arrived today and PCM rookies Alex Figge and Ryan Dalziel got acquainted with their new rides as they spent Wednesday and Thursday of this week at the PCM headquarters in Oxnard, California for their seat fittings.

NismoZ
01-12-07, 06:11 PM
AND reading where PKV and FCR also got #2.

Tony George
01-12-07, 07:10 PM
Shouldn't FCR get a third car for PT??? :rofl: :eek: :laugh:

devilmaster
01-12-07, 07:12 PM
Shouldn't FCR get a third car for PT??? :rofl: :eek: :laugh:

The way Walker was going through cars last year, they should do a whole run just for his team... ;)