PDA

View Full Version : Greek deal into 'final stages'

oddlycalm
01-09-07, 02:38 PM
When I saw this headline I almost ordered a dozen soap-on-a-ropes...:eek:

Seriously, this sounds more like an AR1 story than a real account of anything. Funny that they should announce this in a Galveston newpaper, hotbed of international racing that it is.:gomer:

"We're now in the final stages of the contract with Champ Car," Gizikis told American newspaper The Galveston County Daily News.
Athens airport race (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56165)

oc

Wheel-Nut
01-09-07, 03:04 PM
Seriously, this sounds more like an AR1 story than a real account of anything. Funny that they should announce this in a Galveston newpaper, hotbed of international racing that it is.:gomer:

oc

Methinks Vaso Gizikis might be related to the reporter?

http://news.galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=97276ece88d94146

Ankf00
01-09-07, 03:22 PM
Galveston :rofl:

Mike Lawler
01-09-07, 03:45 PM
Second week of June 2008? Say goodby to Portland.

NismoZ
01-09-07, 05:34 PM
The organizers of the Athens event are the same people who bring you the CC Houston Grand Prix, thus the "Texas connection."

Fio1
01-10-07, 01:13 AM
I'm looking forward to one of the Rocketsport cars being sponsored by The Mad Greek in Vegas and Niko's Deli at Long Beach. :D

Greek Salad, the official salad of CCWS.....

coolhand
01-10-07, 01:20 AM
I am just going to call the airline and change my Portland tickets and hotel for Athens, no biggie :gomer:

I am so happy for the Greek Indy car fans:\

Racing Truth
01-10-07, 09:05 PM
Second week of June 2008? Say goodby to Portland.

Good. Portland sucks for beach volleyball. Screw it.

:gomer: :tony:

Racing Truth
01-10-07, 09:10 PM
Constructive thought:

How many non-North American races does this make? Australia, Zhuhai, the two European races and Athens in '08?

That's 5, no? Anyone else not overly thrilled with that?

If one considers the 3 Canadian events and Mexico City, that's 9 non-US races. Out of about 20 races.

I'm no nativist/xenophobe at all. I like having an int'l presence. But is this a bit much?

apex
01-10-07, 09:57 PM
Constructive thought:

How many non-North American races does this make? Australia, Zhuhai, the two European races and Athens in '08?

If one considers the 3 Canadian events and Mexico City, that's 9 non-US races. Out of about 20 races.

I'm no nativist/xenophobe at all. I like having an int'l presence. But is this a bit much?

Last time I checked the "WS" in CCWS stands for "World Series"!;) Not American Series.

devilmaster
01-11-07, 12:53 AM
Constructive thought:

I agree, but i'm sure that to go where the money is, you need to hit these intl cities that would love to have F1, but can't. These places probably are willing to pay a pretty penny.

And the hoped effect of going to some of these places is to improve CC's reputation to where it used to be back in the 80's and 90's, when it was a series on the rise. Whether that truly happens, still needs to be seen. If KK and GF can make a chunk of money on these trips, and then move that money to help teams and make running in CC more attractive, then it is a worthwhile trip.

I sorta assume that the max they might go is 50% NAFTA to 50% others. I know that most American fans won't agree with that, and I can't really blame them.

As i have always stated, personally, I don't mind these trips as long as they pay for themselves and make CC financially stable enough to keep a Portland, and maybe bring back a Laguna Seca.

NismoZ
01-11-07, 10:15 AM
Seldom have I been in closer agreement with a post.:thumbup: (and to think we used to discuss 50% roads/ovals, now it's 50% Western Hemisphere!:D )

indyfan31
01-11-07, 11:34 AM
"It's really moving along," she added. "I don't like to wait until the last minute for anything. In fact I'll be ahead of time."
That's not really the Greek way of doing things, just ask the Olympic Committee. :)

apex
01-11-07, 11:56 AM
That's not really the Greek way of doing things, just ask the Olympic Committee. :)

Apparently she is a real "buzz-saw" though!

NismoZ
01-11-07, 12:56 PM
And that olympic trouble is something she is trying to avoid and the reason she's talking like she is. We'll see if it's just talk. June '08 seems to leave enough time.

TKGAngel
01-11-07, 01:55 PM
Constructive thought:

Maybe. But to a lot of people, Canada races aren't really considered an international event, since Canada is more easily accessible/affordable than going to Greece or China. Its an "I don't need to use a passport" mentality (potential homeland security regs notwithstanding), so its just like driving across a state line.

devilmaster
01-11-07, 02:09 PM
Its an "I don't need to use a passport" mentality (potential homeland security regs notwithstanding), so its just like driving across a state line.

picked up my passport application today. Just a friendly reminder everyone that come Jan 23rd - passports are required to enter or re-enter the States by plane or watercraft.

Passports for auto entry into the States will be required for sometime later this year. If you don't have one now, I suggest starting to get one. Don't get caught not having one and a chance to go see either the Canadian or Mexican races.

All this so I can go to the occasional Tiger game, eat at some of my favorite restaurants, or do a little shopping. C'est la vie.

cameraman
01-11-07, 02:14 PM
Speaking as someone who never misses an F1 or GP2 race, I really don't care where the races are. All I care about is they run at a decent track and I'll take a Chinese true F1 track over downtown Biloxi in a heart beat.

coolhand
01-11-07, 03:26 PM
I guess if you don't go to races this means nothing to you

Racing Truth
01-11-07, 03:58 PM
Maybe. But to a lot of people, Canada races aren't really considered an international event, since Canada is more easily accessible/affordable than going to Greece or China. Its an "I don't need to use a passport" mentality (potential homeland security regs notwithstanding), so its just like driving across a state line.

I agree, and it was more of a technical point. Still, only 25% of Americans have a passport.

grungex
01-11-07, 04:57 PM
I agree, and it was more of a technical point. Still, only 25% of Americans have a passport.

Is it really that many?

Spicoli
01-11-07, 05:05 PM

:D

TFF....

jonovision_man
01-11-07, 05:26 PM

I'm sure everyone on this board goes to races... no? :confused:

I'd prefer the street race in Toronto to a race far away, no matter how good the circuit. :)

But the rest of them might as well be on the moon, I'm not going to be there anyway, so I'll take better tracks over being close.

jono

Gnam
01-11-07, 06:57 PM
You lika da race, eh? It's good, the race, yes?"

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/7982/saucehk4.jpg

KLang
01-11-07, 07:23 PM
I'm sure everyone on this board goes to races... no? :confused:

I bet the vast majority of us do. I try to get to at least two a year. (much easier now with the return to Houston) As long as the rest are televised and entertaining I'm not too concerned about where they are.

emjaya
01-11-07, 08:45 PM
As one of many non North American Champ Car World Series fan, I can only afford to go to one race and that's the one in my country.I'm lucky that the race is held in my state and just one hours drive from my home.I'm better off than Robstar in Sydney and way better off than Kiwifan, who has to fly in from New Zealand.

I think that the name "World Series" is a big hint as to where Champ Car is heading.

:)

jonovision_man
01-11-07, 08:51 PM
I think that the name "World Series" is a big hint as to where Champ Car is heading.

It's tough to tell... the pacific rim strategy seemed to die with Ansan, only to return sort-of with Zhuhai.

Now we're doing 2 races in Europe... plus Greece? :saywhat:

Where is Champ Car heading? Wherever they'll pay up for a race. :) And don't get me wrong, Zhuhai should be cool, the European swing looks to be very very cool, so it's all good.

jono

NismoZ
01-12-07, 11:41 AM
Sure, constantly evolving as opposed to regressing like another League we are familiar with. (Iowa short track anyone?) Look at the great places F-1 has had to dump looking for the pot of gold. Bernie has been very up front in saying Europe ain't where it's at anymore. I don't think CC has quite decided that concerning North America yet but spending money to make money, even in China, is still a good way to do business. A big screen with HD/Surround and great production will go a long way toward pleasing me if the day comes when I can't get to ANY CCWS events.

Hameroids
01-13-07, 01:51 AM
If you've already paid for the Greek deal, is the Pacific rim included or does that cost extra?

SurfaceUnits
01-13-07, 02:23 AM
If you've already paid for the Greek deal, is the Pacific rim included or does that cost extra?Sounds like a question for iglooboy

TravelGal
01-17-07, 01:54 PM
For those who might like to go, from today agent E-News:

Continental has announced it will start direct service between Newark and Athens this summer. Service will start June 8 and continue through the summer season. During September, October and March, April the flights will be five times weekly and three weekly flights between November to March. US Airways also announced it would be flying to Athens from Philadelphia this summer.

oddlycalm
01-17-07, 05:35 PM
If you've already paid for the Greek deal, is the Pacific rim included or does that cost extra? Going around the world always costs more.

oc

Hameroids
01-17-07, 08:58 PM
Going around the world always costs more.

oc

I think an even balance of foreign and domestic races is the key. The old standard half and half is a good safe bet.

coolhand
01-18-07, 05:27 AM
Where is Champ Car heading?

Anywhere a street race promoter pops up and then they are gone in 2-4 years

Hameroids
01-18-07, 09:35 PM
Anywhere a street race promoter pops up and then they are gone in 2-4 years

No happy finish

High Sided
01-18-07, 10:03 PM
thought this was gonna be a post about tony georges sex life:eek: