PDA

View Full Version : Crappy News...

NismoZ
01-07-07, 09:28 PM
Sure, rumor over at AR1 but Mickelwright is directly quoted. "We haven't had a sponsor since Players was forced out...Gerry has threatened to run only one car in the past... but this time he is serious... We've let a lot of people go and we only have enough crew to run one car... Losing AJ bothered him, especially since he felt like he saved his career...He's been helping fund other teams... I think he just said,'no sponsor, no second team.'" Guess where Jos goes if he brings the most money? He'll need 5 million.:(

Spicoli
01-07-07, 09:32 PM
Yep. Not good, but Uncle Gerry's a damn gazillionaire. One car ops are for puzzys. :p

Sean O'Gorman
01-07-07, 09:56 PM
Club racing with paid admission...

NismoZ
01-08-07, 08:18 AM
Pro racing in club cars...:thumdown:

KLang
01-08-07, 10:23 AM
I predict there will be two Forsythe cars on the grid in Vegas. Gerry wants to win races. He will be at a disadvantage without data from two cars.

jonovision_man
01-08-07, 10:25 AM
Anyone still think we're going to see 24 cars?

Anyone?

jono

KLang
01-08-07, 10:35 AM
Anyone still think we're going to see 24 cars?

Anyone?

jono

Were we ever promised 24?

NismoZ
01-08-07, 10:53 AM
No, 20-22, just like KK said and 22-24 in '08. Relax.

TKGAngel
01-08-07, 10:58 AM
RM said that even PT expects GF to run 2 cars in Vegas.

You know what's scary...there's only 5 drivers with confirmed seats so far.

RHR_Fan
01-08-07, 11:32 AM
RM said that even PT expects GF to run 2 cars in Vegas.

True. With the new cars and the supposed lesser costs you think we'd have more confirmations. Isn't it like this every year though? Hopefully in a few years we'll get back to having a "silly season" toward the end of the actual season.

~Nicole

Elmo T
01-08-07, 11:51 AM

Putting aside WHO might be in the seat, what is the confirmed seat count? How many teams and how many cars per confirmed/announced team?

I didn't really expect to see 24 cars for 2007 and I think Nismo is right, the "plan" was for 20-22 this year.

jonovision_man
01-08-07, 03:05 PM
No, 20-22, just like KK said and 22-24 in '08. Relax.

Some posters were talking 24 for 2007, and I thought an optimistic KK mentionned it too at one point. Could be wrong.

In any case, even 20 is hard to believe. Forsythe can't find sponsorship to fund a second car, what chance does anyone think there is that the rest of the grid is self-sufficient? NH ran all last year with "Hole in the Wall", they're the championship team.

RM in pressdog's interview:

The new team $1 million for chassis/engine lease/tires is unbeatable but, so far, there's not a big line.

My bet? KK might dig deep to put 20 cars on the grid for LV to make a nice debut for the DP01, but by mid-season we're back to 18.

jono

NismoZ
01-08-07, 05:12 PM
Yeah, I was one of those "24" posters and that was based on my own wishful thinking:) KK has said pit space at a few venues would limit grids to 22 and all he has promised is a larger field and new teams which could mean 19, I suppose. As I recall it was a far happier sounding Gerald Forsythe who had mentioned a possible 24. Believe me we've had more cause for worry at this same point in each of the last several years. The rest of the grid never HAS been self-sufficient. I think KK's answer to how long CC (he?) could do that was, "forever!" I believe the good news has outweighed the bad lately and I don't share your pessimism. We KNOW the open-wheel situation is a real struggle right now and I don't sense any panic yet in CC.

ChampcarShark
01-08-07, 05:16 PM
24 is good but 20 is acceptable as long as we have more entries than the other open wheel series.

nissan gtp
01-08-07, 05:36 PM
car count and driver lineup is going down to the wire --- bet we don't know it all for sure until Sunday in Vegas :yuck:

KLang
01-08-07, 05:42 PM
car count and driver lineup is going down to the wire --- bet we don't know it all for sure until Sunday in Vegas :yuck:

Nah, I think we will know Friday morning at first practice. Even Coyne doesn't wait until Sunday. ;)

nissan gtp
01-08-07, 06:57 PM
Nah, I think we will know Friday morning at first practice. Even Coyne doesn't wait until Sunday. ;)

optimist

somebody will not doubt show up, hit the tables, and try to win their way into a whole season of money :rofl:

jonovision_man
01-08-07, 08:00 PM
Yeah, I was one of those "24" posters and that was based on my own wishful thinking:) KK has said pit space at a few venues would limit grids to 22 and all he has promised is a larger field and new teams which could mean 19, I suppose. As I recall it was a far happier sounding Gerald Forsythe who had mentioned a possible 24. Believe me we've had more cause for worry at this same point in each of the last several years.

For sure... don't get me wrong, I think things are certainly better than they were. The cost of propping up a grid of DP01s is lower than a grid of Lolas, that's a start.

The rest of the grid never HAS been self-sufficient. I think KK's answer to how long CC (he?) could do that was, "forever!" I believe the good news has outweighed the bad lately and I don't share your pessimism. We KNOW the open-wheel situation is a real struggle right now and I don't sense any panic yet in CC.

I'm not suggesting they panic! :) Mearly suggesting we don't have a self-sufficient grid, and until we do then expecting KK to fund things to the tune of 20+ cars is unrealistic.

There will be over 20 cars when someone else is paying for them, ie. sponsors, ride-buyers, altruistic team owners, etc.

20+ would be great, but I think a solid 18 is just peachy. Can't wait to see the new car.

jono

pfc_m_drake
01-08-07, 10:11 PM
Interestingly enough, back in September, Forsythe himself was predicting 24-26 cars.

"There's another two-car team that will be announced very soon," Jerry Forsythe said. "I believe we can get to twenty-four cars and we'd like to have twenty-six. That would really make a statement."

Link (http://insider.speedtv.com/viewtopic.php?t=132005&highlight=forsythe)

They had this quote on crash.net at one point as well, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

Hameroids
01-09-07, 11:46 PM
Ita be aight