PDA

View Full Version : OC NFL Playoffs thread

Pages : 1 [2]

Ankf00
01-22-07, 07:08 PM
fixed.

so you're saying you get pissed at dreadlocked versions of you?

skaven
01-22-07, 07:11 PM
Hey skaven I notice all the teams that won are located right in the heart of Big Ten country. :gomer: :gomer: :gomer:

DOH... I've been out-gomer-gomered. :gomer:

Ankf00
01-23-07, 02:40 AM
stoopsie and jerry spotted at Del Frisco's tonight scarfing down some cow.

the first time jerry hired a fellow sleazeball from the college ranks, he and jimmy were downing tex-mex at mia's down the road from where i'm at now, Ivan Maisel happened to see them there while he was at the Morning News, put 2 and 2 together, and asked them to pose for a photo on their way out the door...

stoopsie + jerry == douchebag-match made in heaven, only Nutt would be a better match for that franchise.

Spicoli
01-23-07, 09:00 AM
so you're saying you get pissed at dreadlocked versions of you?

:laugh:

nice try Opie.

Gangrel
01-23-07, 11:05 AM
How about lunch with Defender, or a season pass to SmackForum.

I'll pass. A little lacking in the confidence department, are we? :p

Insomniac
01-23-07, 04:06 PM

How confident would you be in Peyton Manning? (Or any Manning for that matter) :)

Gangrel
01-23-07, 04:08 PM
How confident would you be in Peyton Manning? (Or any Manning for that matter) :)

LOL Not as confident as Vegas is in him, apparently. ;)

Go Rex! Go Bears!

Spicoli
01-23-07, 05:07 PM

Well, wtf do we have in Indy that you want?:confused:

Gangrel
01-23-07, 05:23 PM
Well, wtf do we have in Indy that you want?:confused:

Hmmm...I'd settle for a couple of U.S. Nationals tickets... :D

I don't know...you mean Indy has no flavor except for tenderloin sammiches?

WickerBill
02-04-07, 11:34 PM
Insooooomniaaaaac......

nrc
02-04-07, 11:35 PM
Congrats Colts fans. :thumbup:

Dr. Corkski
02-04-07, 11:54 PM
http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/9540/2032rexxp5.jpg

chop456
02-04-07, 11:57 PM

Sean O'Gorman
02-05-07, 12:14 AM
Well, at least we got to see half the ALMS field in Super Bowl commercials. :gomer:

Spicoli
02-05-07, 12:20 AM
:thumbup: :thumbup:

TrueBrit
02-05-07, 12:36 AM
FRexGrossman

:flame:

Cam
02-05-07, 09:06 AM
The Manning brothers will be knocked out this weekend. :) Sorry, Archie, they choke, but are still better QBs than you ever were.

How's that working out for ya? :)

Insomniac
02-05-07, 09:10 AM
How's that working out for ya? :)

Congratulations. Manning won the big one. I still think everything aligned for them to win it. No way does that run defense just transform. But it doesn't matter, Colts won.

Insomniac
02-05-07, 09:12 AM
Insooooomniaaaaac......

Congratulations man. Enjoy it.

Turns out, I can live in a world where the Colts and Manning are champs, it only makes me sick. ;)

TKGAngel
02-05-07, 09:17 AM
FRexGrossman

:flame:

Part of me thinks Phil Simms was jinxing Grossman. Everytime Simms said "Grossman's finding his groove" or whatnot, the next play was an interception or a fumble.

WickerBill
02-05-07, 10:12 AM
Congratulations man. Enjoy it.

Turns out, I can live in a world where the Colts and Manning are champs, it only makes me sick. ;)

Thanks. Now you know how we've felt for 3 years this decade. :)

nrc
02-05-07, 10:28 AM
I think it's a completely different feeling making it to the game and then losing versus falling short in the first place. That field in Miami is sodded with Bengals woulda, shoulda, couldas. :\

nrc
02-05-07, 10:29 AM
Part of me thinks Phil Simms was jinxing Grossman. Everytime Simms said "Grossman's finding his groove" or whatnot, the next play was an interception or a fumble.
He must have said it a lot.

Ankf00
02-05-07, 12:11 PM
Congratulations. Manning won the big one. I still think everything aligned for them to win it.
how is that any different from the top 5 defenses and clutch kicker Brady always had covering his back?

teams win superbowls. or in trent dilfer's case, defense.

Phil Simms is my homeboy.

Congrats to horse fans. go horse!

Gangrel
02-05-07, 12:55 PM
Congrats to the Colts! Only thing I don't like about it is that they had to go through the Bears to do it. I have actually been waiting for Manning to win one for some time now.

Let's just not make a habit of it...Bears have a dynasty to complete... :D

Insomniac
02-05-07, 01:01 PM

Hehehe. I'm hoping maybe a couple more times. Have to love the NFL, always next year (unless you're Detroit :p).

Insomniac
02-05-07, 01:04 PM
I think it's a completely different feeling making it to the game and then losing versus falling short in the first place. That field in Miami is sodded with Bengals woulda, shoulda, couldas. :\

I'd say the team that really is sitting at home with the shoulda, woulda, couldas is San Diego. They were definitely the best team in the AFC on both sides of the ball.

Gangrel
02-05-07, 01:04 PM
http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/9540/2032rexxp5.jpg

Priceless!

He's still young...guy's only got 27 games under his belt, including a Super Bowl. He'll sort it out, just needs a few more seasons without catastrophic injuries...

Insomniac
02-05-07, 01:17 PM
how is that any different from the top 5 defenses and clutch kicker Brady always had covering his back?

I never said it was. 2001 NE had the tuck call and special teams vs. Pittsburgh. If you want to chalk SB XXXVI to Vinateiri, I have to disagree. He kicked the game winner, but the defense ran back an INT, the offense drove for a TD and Viantieri kicked 2 FG. Someone had to get Vinatieri in FG range to make those kicks.

2003 and 2004 NE (especially 2004) they were the best team in the AFC throughout the season. They were 14-2 both years, and didn't get the #1 seed in 2004 because PIT went 15-1. Even then, they killed PIT. They also had a margin of victory of 11 points a game. Offense and Defense in the Top 10.

If you think Brady has/had a defense and kicker covering for him, there's probably no point in discussing this. Brady holds up his end of the deal week in and week out. No one can win by themself, but the Patriots don't win in spite of him, they win because of his and the offenses play.

Ankf00
02-05-07, 01:21 PM
Pats fans are touchy. :gomer:

Brady doesn't win a superbowl on his arm alone.
Manning doesn't win a superbowl on his arm alone.

Insomniac
02-05-07, 01:23 PM
Ohhh, and it was simply my opinion, not fact. And it certainly wasn't a slight. There are almost always breaks in football. Regardless, they are the champs and that can't/won't change.

Insomniac
02-05-07, 01:24 PM

Sometimes I am. And I agree, neither wins by themself.

Ankf00
02-05-07, 01:24 PM
meh, both qb's and franchises are light years ahead of the gints, no hate from me :\ :D

Dr. Corkski
02-05-07, 01:36 PM
http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/4269/bradyfacenh5.jpg

The FACE of the Patsies. :cry:

Insomniac
02-05-07, 02:29 PM
http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/4269/bradyfacenh5.jpg

The FACE of the Patsies. :cry:

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en-commons/thumb/1/16/250px-Patriots_Superbowl_Trophies.jpg

Andrew Longman
02-05-07, 04:26 PM
meh, both qb's and franchises are light years ahead of the gints, no hate from me :\ :D

That's a taunt isn't it?

Except it won't work. Until Coughlin goes, its hopeless.

New GM may work out OK but he wants time to bring in his own players and move out the p#ssies before he nails the coach. That's why Coughlin only got a one year deal. Dead man walking.

Andrew Longman
02-05-07, 04:27 PM

But Grossman lost it all by himself.

They protected him yesterday as long as they could but in the second half they had to go to him to make the play and he was exposed for what he is

Gangrel
02-05-07, 05:07 PM

They protected him yesterday as long as they could but in the second half they had to go to him to make the play and he was exposed for what he is

Riiiiiight.....and the Bears defense didn't have anything whatsoever to do with the loss...

Blame it on Rex is the trendy way to go. Kind of like...ummm...hiring Danica. :yuck:

This Bears fan is willing to give him a few more seasons before giving up on him...

Ankf00
02-05-07, 05:23 PM
Riiiiiight.....and the Bears defense didn't have anything whatsoever to do with the loss...

Blame it on Rex is the trendy way to go. Kind of like...ummm...hiring Danica. :yuck:

This Bears fan is willing to give him a few more seasons before giving up on him...

Sexy Rexy was in a position to take the lead in the 4th quarter thanks to his defense which has carried him 1/2 the season. Sexy Rexy decided to force the ball to the deep sideline which is the cover 2 weak spot.

Only there was absolutely no room whatsoever. Pick 6. Next drive, over the middle, the other cover 2 weak spot, air ball, pick, ball game.

The fact that Chicago was within 1 score of the win in the 4th is solely a credit to the Bears' defense.

The "f*** it I'm going deep" joke has been around since he was at Florida, it's not some new witticism based on this season. Even the EDSBS guys, dyed orange Gator alums, ride him relentlessly for it.

Gangrel
02-05-07, 05:42 PM

Sexy Rexy was in a position to take the lead in the 4th quarter thanks to his defense which has carried him 1/2 the season. Sexy Rexy decided to force the ball to the deep sideline which is the cover 2 weak spot.

Only there was absolutely no room whatsoever. Pick 6. Next drive, over the middle, the other cover 2 weak spot, air ball, pick, ball game.

The fact that Chicago was within 1 score of the win in the 4th is solely a credit to the Bears' defense.

The "f*** it I'm going deep" joke has been around since he was at Florida, it's not some new witticism based on this season. Even the EDSBS guys, dyed orange Gator alums, ride him relentlessly for it.

Funny. The thing he has done repeatedly this season that alarmed me most wasn't going deep...it was running back. O-line doesn't hold the D-line, Rex has defenders all over him, so what's he do? Drop back 25, 30 yards trying to get away from them. Really wished he would just take a slide a few times...

Still willing to see if he matures, though...he might have just enough balls to make up for a little brain cramp now and again...

The game stayed close, but the Bears defense didn't really succeed at putting a whole lot of pressure on Peyton until the 4th quarter. They got hands on him, but couldn't seem to close the deal. I would say they definately had a role to play in this one too...Urlacher, judging from his post-game comments, would also agree...

Insomniac
02-05-07, 06:05 PM
Funny. The thing he has done repeatedly this season that alarmed me most wasn't going deep...it was running back. O-line doesn't hold the D-line, Rex has defenders all over him, so what's he do? Drop back 25, 30 yards trying to get away from them. Really wished he would just take a slide a few times...

Still willing to see if he matures, though...he might have just enough balls to make up for a little brain cramp now and again...

The game stayed close, but the Bears defense didn't really succeed at putting a whole lot of pressure on Peyton until the 4th quarter. They got hands on him, but couldn't seem to close the deal. I would say they definately had a role to play in this one too...Urlacher, judging from his post-game comments, would also agree...

Not many people get their hands on Peyton, let alone sack him. His o-line protects him well and he is so good with his reads the ball comes out fast when he needs it to. The Bears played the type of defense they planned to play. They were trying to avoid the big play. The safeties were way back. Take away the Reggie Wayne mix up, which was a clear mistake by a safety and the Colts offense has one TD. They played bend but don't break. When Indy got to the RZ, the safeties didn't have to worry about the big play or anyone going past them and they clamped down.

The offense let the defense down. They needed to sustain some drives and score as well. With their fear of Devin Hester, Chicago was getting good field position as well. Maybe the Benson injury really messed things up, I don't know. He threw killer picks in the second half. A little more on either of those balls and would've been an even closer game. And that's what it is, a game of inches.

The only way a team is going to shut down the Indianapolis offense is getting ahead or keeping it off the field (which isn't exactly shutting it down, just limiting opportunities for damage). That offense is so powerful and well timed. Manning has the most accurate arm in the NFL and the time to throw it. Plus, Edgerin who?

Chicago waited way too long to air it out. In the first half, Sanders was up in the box almost every snap with one deep safety. Berrian is a burner and they didn't even try to make Indy pay. Can't blame the defense.

Insomniac
02-05-07, 06:08 PM

They protected him until a point where Indy knew he was going to throw and they dropped Sanders back into coverage, just pinned their ears back and went after him. They picked the wrong time to protect him and not protect him.

nrc
02-05-07, 06:25 PM
I blame the Bear's loss on returning the opening kickoff for a touchdown. Just not the thing to do this year. :\

Easy
02-05-07, 06:27 PM
In a few more seasons the defense will be gone and the O-Line will be back in Utah or drinking at the North Chicago FBI range full time.

Candynose blew it. 2007-8 is the last chance before this team starts to dissolve. They had better have a second option next year if the Sex Cannon doesn't stop crapping the bed.

Dirty Sanchez
02-05-07, 06:48 PM
The fact that Chicago was within 1 score of the win in the 4th is solely a credit to the Bears' defense.bullcrap. maybe you forgot the missed fg or the botched PAT. 4pts that would've given the colts a 9 pt lead half way through the third.

rex played poorly but the defense played worse. they were dominated on both lines of scrimmage and the game was never as close as the scoreboard. on a dry track the colts beat them by 21+

Ankf00
02-05-07, 07:26 PM
bullcrap. maybe you forgot the missed fg or the botched PAT. 4pts that would've given the colts a 9 pt lead half way through the third.

rex played poorly but the defense played worse. they were dominated on both lines of scrimmage and the game was never as close as the scoreboard. on a dry track the colts beat them by 21+

except it wasn't a dry track, and it was only 22-17 w/ the ball in the 4th quarter.

the safeties were playing far off the line all night until they were in the red zone, bend but don't break by design, why is it that with 400+ yards of offense Indy only put up 2 offensive TD's one of which came on a broken play? once the safeties could play closer than 50 yards to the LOS Indy's offense slowed down as evidenced by score vs. yardage and red zone percentage.

meanwhile sexy rexy hadn't even broken 100 yards passing coming into the 4th.

no matter how you spin it, down 5, with the ball, 4th quarter, "I'm going deep!" that's all on the sex cannon

Chicago's first half drives:

7 yards

Dirty Sanchez
02-05-07, 07:42 PM
well if you've watched much bear football you're not surprised by an anemic offensive effort. giving up 400+ yards of offense and double their yearly average allowed on the ground is not something you'd expect from the bears D however.

they played terribly. that's not to excuse rex in any way. he was really bad. but the defense played worse, imo. that's their strength supposedly. and you can't blame rex when the colts come out of halftime with a near 8 minute drive. nice defensive adjustments :gomer:

i'm amazed they made it this far. they are the bengals from a year ago. powderpuff schedule and nearly one and out at home. they weren't home dogs like the bungles tho' :rofl:

good chance they miss the playoffs next year.

Ankf00
02-05-07, 07:50 PM
giving up 400+ yards of offense and double their yearly average allowed on the ground is not something you'd expect from the bears D however.

completely agree, but that was somewhat by design as I said w/ safeties far off scrimmage to prevent the big play, relying on the LB's in the base D to cover the slot WR and HB swing instead of going nickel. The LB's had a ton of real estate to cover. The colts just matched up better and Lovie chose to do what he did instead of leaving his base D, 4-3 cover 2. The payoff was the redzone, shorten the field, let the safeties return to their normal depth, let the D fly around like a typical Tampa 2 defense.

Not to say the D line wasn't disappointing (could've used some Tommie Harris) and the LB's weren't always out of position, but I thought the secondary (especially Vasher) played quite well and did as good a job as possible. all of this above is why I see the 22-17 as more of a measure of the Bear's D performance than the yardage (especially when factoring amount of time on the field b/c their offense could never sustain a drive), personally...

Dirty Sanchez
02-05-07, 07:56 PM
I hear you on the bend but don't break. but honestly those fg's could've easily have been td's. you just don't invite peyton manning into your red zone, imo. and like I said, add 4 pts. to that score and how does it look in the 3rd qtr? 26-17. take away that kick return. hmmmm... 26-10.

I just don't think that game was nearly as close as the score. and on a dry track... I think they run it up into the 40s on the bears.

Sean O'Gorman
02-05-07, 08:50 PM
and on a dry track...

Somebody has racing on the mind... ;)

WickerBill
02-05-07, 09:17 PM
Bears D was on the field 40 minutes... line sitting in a crouch half the time, unable to rotate players. You, as an offense, MUST give your defense time to rest.

That's the biggest difference in the Colts this year. No 30 second drives. I honestly think they were capable of doing the quick strike thing more often than they did, but someone finally told Manning that sometimes, a 12 play, 7 minute drive that ends with 3 points is far better than a 1 play, 30 second drive that ends with 7.

Or perhaps they didn't tell him that... maybe safeties just played so far off that he had to engineer longer drives. I'm completely sold on Manning being very talented and very cerebral, but the whole time of possession thing seems to have escaped him for the first 8.5 years of his career. Imagine, if your D only has to play for 20 minutes, they do better than when they have to play for 35. Imagine!

Tifosi24
02-05-07, 10:10 PM
The Bears will not win the Super Bowl as long as Ron Turner is the offensive coordinator and the Rex is quarterback. The man is a serviceable quarterback and that is about it, you can try and give him four more years, but he is not going to stay healthy that long. The fact that he didn't miss a game because of injury this past year is unbelievable and is an aberration.

SteveH
02-05-07, 11:13 PM
The Bears will not win the Super Bowl as long as Ron Turner is the offensive coordinator and the Rex is quarterback.

Thank you. This Bears fan has no faith in either one. Seemed as though Turner wouldn't put Grossman on a short leash when he started having 'issues' Last year I felt he held Orton back too much, this year just the opposite. Grossman didn't lose the game for the Bears, but he sure didn't help. There was no way they could come from behind with him as QB.

Easy
02-06-07, 12:24 AM
I liked Ron Turner much better as the man responsible for setting Illinois' football program back 10 years. An easy win even with Drew Tate at the wheel.

How can you insist on throwing the ball as your core offense when King Candynose is your QB?

WickerBill
02-06-07, 07:47 AM
Last year I felt he held Orton back too much

Bring back Neckbeard!

Insomniac
02-06-07, 08:59 AM
bullcrap. maybe you forgot the missed fg or the botched PAT. 4pts that would've given the colts a 9 pt lead half way through the third.

Cool, we're playing what ifs. :) If Indy didn't injure Benson they would've won. And if it was dry, Grossman wouldn't have been picked twice in the second half and had at least one TD to Berrian. If the Colts kicked to Hester more they would've blown out Indy. If Chicago didn't blow that Wayne play...

Insomniac
02-06-07, 09:04 AM
I hear you on the bend but don't break. but honestly those fg's could've easily have been td's. you just don't invite peyton manning into your red zone, imo. and like I said, add 4 pts. to that score and how does it look in the 3rd qtr? 26-17. take away that kick return. hmmmm... 26-10.

I just don't think that game was nearly as close as the score. and on a dry track... I think they run it up into the 40s on the bears.

I don't think you understand how the bend but don't break works. It allows a team a lot of stuff underneath between the 20s. The defense completely changes once the other team is in the RZ. That's why they were driving for 8 minutes and kicking FGs. Baltimore played it the best against Indy. NE played it well until the second half. You need an offense that can also score anf sustain drives for it to work to the end.

Dirty Sanchez
02-06-07, 10:10 AM
Cool, we're playing what ifs. :) If Indy didn't injure Benson they would've won. And if it was dry, Grossman wouldn't have been picked twice in the second half and had at least one TD to Berrian. If the Colts kicked to Hester more they would've blown out Indy. If Chicago didn't blow that Wayne play...fair enough. I'm pretty sure we know which scenario is closer to the truth however.

skaven
02-06-07, 12:22 PM
Damn... :cry:

After Grossman's performance, you can all be relieved that the Year of the Gator might be over... maybe the Goters are back?

Total Goter Domination just doesn't sound right though... :gomer:

And losing to a Volunteer no less... :(

Ankf00
02-06-07, 01:10 PM
Peyton's revenge :laugh:

stupid goters :gomer: wait, no, I hate Tenn... damnit! @#$@#$#@

G.
02-06-07, 01:55 PM
Ron Rivera (D coach) was spooked by Manning. Gave him all of the short passes, instead of relying on his backfield to cover the deep ball, LIKE THEY HAVE BEEN ABLE TO DO ALL YEAR.

Colts played the traditional "Bears" offense, dump off the short pass and take what they give you. March it down, wear out the D.

Of course, that never works for the Bears.:laugh:

I'm glad da Bears got in the show.

Insomniac
02-06-07, 02:01 PM
fair enough. I'm pretty sure we know which scenario is closer to the truth however.

I'd say neither since it didn't happen either way. What ifs don't work well.

Insomniac
02-06-07, 02:03 PM
Ron Rivera (D coach) was spooked by Manning. Gave him all of the short passes, instead of relying on his backfield to cover the deep ball, LIKE THEY HAVE BEEN ABLE TO DO ALL YEAR.

Colts played the traditional "Bears" offense, dump off the short pass and take what they give you. March it down, wear out the D.

Of course, that never works for the Bears.:laugh:

I'm glad da Bears got in the show.

It didn't seem like they had guys running routes to get that dump off. Or Grossman wasn't looking for that guy. You saw with Indy, a lot of passes went to Addai. I think that surprised me the most that Chicago never adjusted to make sure he's covered out of the backfield by someone.

G.
02-06-07, 02:07 PM
It didn't seem like they had guys running routes to get that dump off. Or Grossman wasn't looking for that guy. You saw with Indy, a lot of passes went to Addai. I think that surprised me the most that Chicago never adjusted to make sure he's covered out of the backfield by someone.Bears never seemed to really HAVE an offensive game plan. They never established one, since they were all resting on the bench.

The Bears D was in "prevent-defense" mode, or, as I like to call it, "accept-offense".

Dirty Sanchez
02-06-07, 02:24 PM
I'd say neither since it didn't happen either way. What ifs don't work well.that's your opinion. I think it was never as the close as the score indicated... but in a way I'm glad for the missed kicks (4 pts) and the decision to give up the ball on downs at the end. it protected my under 48 bet. ch-ching :thumbup:

Insomniac
02-06-07, 04:27 PM
Bears never seemed to really HAVE an offensive game plan. They never established one, since they were all resting on the bench.

The Bears D was in "prevent-defense" mode, or, as I like to call it, "accept-offense".

They probably would've been served well flip-flopping their first and second half plans. Pass deep a little more in the first and run more in the second. 8 in the box, accept the dare!