PDA

View Full Version : Neighbor Tries to Poison Dog

TKGAngel
01-02-07, 03:59 PM
If any of you have logged onto cnn.com within the past couple of hours, you've probably seen a link to a video about a neighbor trying to poison its neighbor's annoying dog. Well, the dog in question happens to belong to my aunt and uncle. Roscoe's a 2-year-old German shepherd / Rottweiler mix who my aunt and uncle rescued and adopted last year.

The neighbor made 7 baseball sized meatballs and filled them with rat poison before scattering them throughout my aunt & uncle's backyard. The cops found the meat and rat poison remnants along with the frying pan used to cook the meatballs in her garbage at the curb. She's been arrested on animal cruelty and other charges.

The whole dispute centers around the fact that the neighbor can hear Roscoe barking and barking (newsflash: dogs bark) during the day. This neighbor has to have supersonic hearing, considering that her house is 200 feet away and even my aunt & uncle's next door neighbors don't hear the dog bark. This is also backed up by the dog warden, who did everything but break into the house over the summer to verify the alleged barking.

I guess I just don't understand what would make someone do this. Even if someone's not a pet person, its a living, breathing creature. This weekend's been just a whole roller coaster of emotions from :flame: to :cry: and back to :flame:.

Spicoli
01-02-07, 04:02 PM
Cows and Pigs are living things too, and we eat them daily. :D

Signed:

not a dog person

devilmaster
01-02-07, 04:11 PM
Its times like these I recall my favorite saying from George Carlin:

"Think about how dumb the average person is......
Then realize that half of the people, are dumber than that."

Sorry bout the dog, hope its ok in the end.

Warlock!
01-02-07, 05:14 PM
Sorry bout the dog, hope its ok in the end.
I imagine it will be. It takes a LOT of rat poison to down a dog (at least the Decon-style poison), as my dog can attest. My malamute (granted, a large dog) ate a whole box of it when he was about 8 months old. Vet said if I could get him to puke that would be best... otherwise I should just feed the f*** out of him. He ate about a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread before he got full, and we never saw any ill effects.

G.
01-02-07, 07:45 PM
Dogs have a pretty simple digestive tract. Sort of a straight shot.

If my dog were not under a vet's care, as I'm sure this one is, I would give him a 1/4 cup vegetable oil. Makes them very proficient in the arched-back routine. Like the "spring Cleaning" topic proficient.

Light fuse and step away proficient.

Hope the pooch is ok.:(

Update on the dog?

TKGAngel
01-02-07, 08:25 PM
Cows and Pigs are living things too, and we eat them daily. :D

Signed:

not a dog person

There's a difference between a farm animal and a family pet. :)

Update on the dog?

Dog was given hydrogen peroxide via a turkey baster immediately after this happened to induce vomiting. He's been to the vet twice since Friday night, and is on meds to stop any effects.

From what the vet said, rat poison will either cause the dog to bleed out the rear or his brain to swell and cause death. Acting normal in either situation is a false positive.

Andrew Longman
01-02-07, 10:39 PM
Sorry to hear it.

A good friend lost her Lab a few years back when it got into some rat poison that was left in the basement buy a previous owner.

The dog's paws swelled up and cause permanent damage. Eventually had to put the dog down.

Best of luck

(lesson: check out all knooks and crannies when moving into a new place to see if there is something a pet or kid could get into)

Ankf00
01-04-07, 03:35 PM
how's the pup?

as far as farm animal vs. pets, geese will imprint upon whomever they interact with, follow them around, nip at their pants, rub against their leg, let themselves be petted. they can be cute & friendly. roasted goose with a side of pâté or foie gras still tastes great though. :)