01-01-07, 03:44 PM
Yes?

jono

spinner26
01-01-07, 03:49 PM
always a chance

NismoZ
01-01-07, 06:10 PM
If he is it's only because Carl wants to save/make some driver hiring cash. Can't believe his "out" clause means he'd go for free.

jonovision_man
01-01-07, 06:16 PM
If he is it's only because Carl wants to save/make some driver hiring cash. Can't believe his "out" clause means he'd go for free.

On Autosport, he seemed to say that his "out" clause would allow him to go for free... but he would have had to exercise it before September 15. So if he goes now there would have to be some cash to NH.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56083

Bourdais has also re-iterated that there will be no circumstances under which he would break his contract with Newman-Haas for next year - even if he was offered an F1 drive.

"There is not even a question mark there," he said. "I will not do that to Newman-Haas.

"The option to do something else ran out on September 15th, which was a long time ago. That is just the way it is. Sometimes the timing can be wrong for your career, but I also have to be respectful to the team who brought me to where I am today."

He added: "For me it is not even worth discussing - although hopefully it happens for 2008. I understand your questioning, as both [Toro Rosso] drivers are not yet confirmed and I wish if they were going to be replaced then it would be by me....but they deserve to carry on. Maybe I can join in in 2008, but that is way ahead. I'll just take it step by step."

I still think there's a shot for 2007... it only makes sense, he was fast and the TR team is all about trying guys out for Red Bull anyway, they can take a bit of a chance on him. They already know their current guys are just OK.

jono

RHR_Fan
01-01-07, 06:34 PM
any chance he'll be announced as TR driver tomorrow? :eek:

I would seriously be surprised, but I've been wrong before. Sure TR is F1, but are the "big wigs" in F1 looking at TR drivers as/for future stars?

formulaben
01-01-07, 07:12 PM
Sure TR is F1, but are the "big wigs" in F1 looking at TR drivers as/for future stars?

IMHO, they're looking EVERYWHERE. If you're fast, you'll get there. Just ask Kimi and Felipe...oh, and some kid named Lewis.

jonovision_man
01-01-07, 07:19 PM
I would seriously be surprised, but I've been wrong before. Sure TR is F1, but are the "big wigs" in F1 looking at TR drivers as/for future stars?

Alonso started his career in a Minardi... so YES.

And you know if he gets the ride it's with an eye on Red Bull for 2008 and beyond. They're no backmarkers, they're spending money, got a works engine, and a Newey-designed car. :thumbup:

jono

NismoZ
01-01-07, 08:18 PM
And a "few" good guys started with Coyne, too. Anyone with a quick list? They can't all start at the top...like Mansell.;)

diamond dave
01-01-07, 09:02 PM
what $$$ would seabass bring to TR? Berger has been begging for a $ driver

RHR_Fan
01-01-07, 09:15 PM

jono

Aye you're right, I forgot about Alonso. I was just thinking that F1 owners may be looking more toward GP2 right now than the lower-funded teams, but you proved me wrong.

jonovision_man
01-01-07, 09:29 PM
Aye you're right, I forgot about Alonso. I was just thinking that F1 owners may be looking more toward GP2 right now than the lower-funded teams, but you proved me wrong.

Well in your defence, his promotion from Minardi was before GP2. :) So that could be a fair comment. I just don't see the F1 brass passing over someone who is fast in an F1 car, regardless of what end of the grid they're running at.

jono

formulaben
01-01-07, 10:15 PM
what $$$ would seabass bring to TR?

Red Bull sponsorship.

jonovision_man
01-01-07, 10:38 PM
Red Bull sponsorship.

:rofl: :rofl:

DagoFast
01-02-07, 12:36 AM
Does anybody else keep getting a mental picture of PT praying and promising doG he'll never ask for anything else ever again as long as he lives if seabass just goes to f1? :D

grungex
01-02-07, 12:40 AM
No.

Insomniac
01-02-07, 05:58 PM
Does anybody else keep getting a mental picture of PT praying and promising doG he'll never ask for anything else ever again as long as he lives if seabass just goes to f1? :D

You think PT is scared to race anybody?

jonovision_man
01-02-07, 06:06 PM
any chance he'll be announced as TR driver tomorrow? :eek:

Looks like not. :p

jono

Spicoli
01-02-07, 06:41 PM
Looks like not. :p

jono

Did they announce anything? They stated they would. Maybe bourdais was stuck at the Salon getting a pedicure and a cucumber facial and couldn't be bothered.

:gomer:

nissan gtp
01-02-07, 06:51 PM
"future announcements will be made" :p

PS -- Hey spikky, you and super-D broke dolanforum :laugh:

jonovision_man
01-02-07, 06:54 PM
Just found this actually:

http://www.f1technical.net/news/4572

Toro Rosso still looking for drivers

It seems that Toro Rosso still hasn't made a decision about their 2007 driver line-up. Gerhard Berger earlier declared that he and the team would like to announce their drivers for the upcoming season before 2007, but there is still no news from the team. Not only Tonio Liuzzi and Scott Speed, the 2006 drivers, aren't the only one with whom the team is talking. There are rumours that Toro Rosso is negociating with Tiago Monteiro.

Monteiro...? :irked:

jono

pchall
01-02-07, 08:24 PM
Too bad Herr Schumacher is retired. I would love to see two spoiled children of priviledge lock wheels in turn 1.

mapguy
01-03-07, 06:32 AM

Alonso was also, what, 19 at the time? How old is the whiney Frenchman? 27? A little too old for F1.

chop456
01-03-07, 06:48 AM
Not true. Look at Channoch Nissany or Michael Andretti.

Okay, maybe those are bad examples. :D

jonovision_man
01-03-07, 10:45 AM
Alonso was also, what, 19 at the time? How old is the whiney Frenchman? 27? A little too old for F1.

Most people get their shot earlier, true, but 27 isn't too old.

Anyway, TR in no hurry, and Bourdais would be 2008.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56120

Scuderia Toro Rosso owner Gerhard Berger says he is in no rush to confirm his team's 2007 driver line-up, despite suggestions they would make an announcement before the end of last year.

"Of course Tonio and Scott are in pole position for the STR drives in 2007," said Berger. "We just had to sort out other things. We are not in a hurry to name drivers."

And Berger has also dismissed any suggestions that he is looking for a pay driver to race for him this season because he wants to boost his team's budget.

Those rumours led to both Tiago Monteiro and Narain Karthikeyan being linked with the team, but Berger said that any talk of Toro Rosso running a pay driver in 2007 was "rubbish".

Berger also reiterated that three-time Champ Car champion Sebastien Bourdais remains a contender for a race seat next year.

"He was quite impressive," added Berger. "He is certainly in the frame for 2008."

jono

Spicoli
01-03-07, 11:08 AM
Berger has also dismissed any suggestions that he is looking for a pay driver

Riiiiight. ;)

apex
01-03-07, 11:54 AM

alonso was 20...Vettel is the youngest at age 19 but only as a test driver.

I would agree the average age of f1 drivers has been getting younger in recent years but i'm not so sure I would rule out Bourdais as being too old for F1. There will always be special cases and exceptions to current trends where certain drivers that don't fit the norm find rides.

Besides, to show that you don't have to be young to get your 1st chance and succeed in f1 all you have to do is look at Jacques Villeneuve and Mark Webber who both got into f1 at older ages. i.e. Webber got his shot with Minardi at age 25 and Villenueve got his start with williams at age 25 or 26!!

apex
01-03-07, 12:37 PM
what $$$ would seabass bring to TR? Berger has been begging for a $ driver

there is a slight possibility that both current drivers at STR could be out of a ride ( albeit a small chance if you ask me), and that Berger would sign Bourdais and than sign a pay driver like Montiero as the second driver who would provide the funding that he is intently looking for.

It looks like this will be Couthard's last year in F1 and will be replaced after 2007 at RB and Webber is on the ropes to produce for the first time in his career or he is out as well. This is webber's last chance to prove he has what it takes and can produce and dispel the notion that he is not just a bunch of hype! You only get so many chances in f1 and Webber's used a lot of it up already, it's do or die this year for webber or he's as good as gone.

So Red Bull do have options with Liuzzi and Speed if they choose to take them off of STR. Moving speed to champcar is one of their options and I don't think speed would resist as Klein did. Liuzzi could be put back in a tester role for a year until 2008 where there will be openings at either RB, STR or both! again.

apex
01-12-07, 06:08 PM
If there is something in the works to switch Bourdais with speed at STR than it would appear Bourdais is going to need not only a contractual out with NHR but also team peugeot at Le Mans!! I just noticed a conflict in schedules between the USA GP in F1 and the 24 hours of Le Mans, le mans will be run on June16 to 17th and the US GP is scheduled for June 17!!! There is no conflict with the Champcar schedule.

Bourdais can't do both, thus i suspect the SB to STR for 2007 is a non-starter, unless of course his agent can waive obligations to both series.

Gnam
01-12-07, 07:03 PM
I think Seabass would drop his LeMans ride for a shot at an F1 season.

cameraman
01-12-07, 08:01 PM
Maybe Letterman will ask him on Tuesday.

Newman and Bourdais on Letterman.

chop456
01-12-07, 09:26 PM
If there is something in the works to switch Bourdais with speed at STR than it would appear Bourdais is going to need not only a contractual out with NHR but also team peugeot at Le Mans!! I just noticed a conflict in schedules between the USA GP in F1 and the 24 hours of Le Mans, le mans will be run on June16 to 17th and the US GP is scheduled for June 17!!! There is no conflict with the Champcar schedule.

Bourdais can't do both, thus i suspect the SB to STR for 2007 is a non-starter, unless of course his agent can waive obligations to both series.

Peugeot has an alternate for that reason. Non-issue.

apex
01-13-07, 01:00 AM
Peugeot has an alternate for that reason. Non-issue.

I think saying this is a non issue is a little strong unless you have seen the actual wording of his contract with Peugeot and NHR!!

chop456
01-13-07, 07:36 AM
How about this?

It's a non-issue unless he, his agent and his lawyer are all morons. :tony:

apex
01-13-07, 11:25 AM
How about this?

It's a non-issue unless he, his agent and his lawyer are all morons. :tony:

Than by your reasoning that would make Paul Newman/Carl Haas and team Peugeot and their team of lawyers all a bunch morons !!!:rolleyes:

Anteater
01-15-07, 03:32 PM
Maybe Letterman will ask him on Tuesday.

Newman and Bourdais on Letterman.

Yep! Set the recording devices for 1/16:
http://www.cbs.com/latenight/lateshow/show_info/pants/

Napoleon
01-15-07, 08:11 PM

Amazing, it is a whole week of some of my favorate people on that show, including Amy Sederis and Harry Shearer.

formulaben
01-15-07, 08:21 PM
Amazing, it is a whole week of some of my favorate people on that show, including Amy Sederis and Harry Shearer.

...if only they had a guest host, it'd be perfect!

theunions
01-17-07, 05:05 AM

PT must be livid after seeing that one... :D

Andrew Longman
01-17-07, 12:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avceNet15BA

The whole segment.

Paul on Carl: "I've been buying chassis from you for years. They are always late and overweight. Why would I want to start a team with you?" :rofl:

G.
01-19-07, 12:33 PM
Bourdais to test Toro Rosso again - Berger
Posted 19 January 2007 at 09:31 GMT

Champ Car champion Sebastien Bourdais will be given another chance to shine at the wheel of a Toro Rosso.

That is the promise of Gerhard Berger, who alongside Red Bull magnate Dietrich Mateschitz co-owns the Faenza based grand prix team.

http://www.homeofsport.com/f1/news/item.aspx?id=17983

Spicoli
01-19-07, 04:55 PM
C-Ya!

could be the best thing for the series.:\

Gnam
01-19-07, 05:05 PM
Will the second test be before the season starts, or during?

NismoZ
01-19-07, 09:27 PM
GREAT, Spicoli...so you read my post over in the F-1 forum?;) I'll send somebody a dime if it's moved over here.:)

Spicoli
01-20-07, 03:35 AM
GREAT, Spicoli...so you read my post over in the F-1 forum?;) I'll send somebody a dime if it's moved over here.:)

nope.:rofl:

NismoZ
01-20-07, 03:13 PM
C'mere you little...:saywhat: ...OK, FINE!...but N/H just took off with 2 cars to Sebring and if Bruno and Rahal are handling the test chores...that might just be a LITTLE indication somethin's up. It's all good.:thumbup: