PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Season

Pages : [1] 2

skaven
12-31-06, 12:16 PM
Early results are in.... and the Big 10 is living up to expectations. :gomer:

Big 10 0-3 (throw in ND with this lot and they are guaranteed a losing bowl season)
ACC 3-2
SEC 3-1 (unranked UGA knocking off #14 VT)
Big 12 3-3
Big East 2-0
Pac 10 3-2

I realize the "heavyweights" are due to start appearing tomorrow, but I'm liking the way this is trending.

Go Tennessee, Go SoCal, Go LSU, Go Arky ! ! !

And Go Gators ! ! ! ! :thumbup:

nrc
12-31-06, 02:01 PM
Who cares about Iowa, Minnesota or Purdue and what has Notre Dame got to do with the Big Ten?

Spicoli
12-31-06, 02:10 PM
Who cares about Iowa, Minnesota or Purdue and what has Notre Dame got to do with the Big Ten?

ND is smack dab in the Biggie 10 geography. that's all i can figure.

that or just some good ole hatin. :thumbup: :gomer:

skaven
12-31-06, 03:09 PM
Zactly - it's about the Hatin'. :cool:

Living in Chicago for 7 years, I had my fill of the Big 10/ ND hypsters. As such, I lump them all together.

Even in their down years, the Big 10 homers drove me crazy. Even in Colorado, you can't avoid the Wojotards and their Big10 ilk.

They've parlayed their media hype into 3 BCS bids (counting ND). I'm just hoping they fall flat on their sausage-eating, pasty-ass, mouth-breathing faces. :)

(and stirring the pot)

Ed_Severson
12-31-06, 03:34 PM
Who cares about Purdue?

http://www.d21c.com/railbird/s/smiley-wave.gif

skaven
12-31-06, 03:55 PM
http://www.d21c.com/railbird/s/smiley-wave.gif

Yep. Purdue is my favorite (least hated) Big 10er. I visited West Lafayette and Gainesville for "recruiting" trips while in high school. West Lafayette was over spring break and was cold, stoic and grim. My Gainesville trip was in the previous fall. A friend of the family took me to Gainesville for a Gator game.

Back then I was a Big 10 fan who had moved from Indiana to Florida and wore Purdue shirts to school. The year Florida beat Purdue in the NCAA Tourney, I endured countless "Purdooky" jokes.

Anyway, whereas my family are hard-core ND/ Big 10 and .1RL fans (go back to Indy every year), I've picked sides with the style of football and racing that works for me.

That would be SEC and CCWS ! ! ! :thumbup:

Now back to the hatin', where's dando? :gomer:

extramundane
12-31-06, 04:04 PM
SEC 3-1 (unranked UGA knocking off #14 VT)

That's my castrated turkeys for yez, losing the gimmes. Marc Mexico woulda won it single-handed :gomer:

Dr. Corkski
12-31-06, 04:45 PM
Drew Tate sucks.

skaven
12-31-06, 05:52 PM
Hmmm... didn't know the Fighting Gobblers were nut-less. :D

Which team drafts Drew Tate? Raiders? Oakland with the first pick?

Any Gopher fans? Looks like Mason might lose his job over the bowl meltdown. :p

pchall
12-31-06, 08:19 PM
I find that there are more Toilet Bowl games than crapwagon races. Frankly, I'm rather embarrassed that th (now) Big East school at which I did my undergraduate work is playing up in TO in the International Bowl with a 7-5 record even though they did take down Rutgers.

Early results are in.... and the Big 10 is living up to expectations.

Nice to see another Big 10 hater. :)

skaven
01-01-07, 12:04 PM
:)

Wow, not only did OSU and Michigan deserve a rematch even before they played, I learned on ESPN today that Wisconsin got robbed because the BCS only allows two teams from a conference to play in BCS bowls.

Maybe they can change the rules next year so the Big 10 gets all the BCS slots. If one rematch would be the best thing ever, more re-rematches would be even betterer ! ! ! :gomer:

Hopefully I won't be eating too much crow after PSU/ TEN and WIS/ ARK....

Insomniac
01-01-07, 12:52 PM
Let's Go! Mountaineers!

Ankf00
01-01-07, 02:04 PM
Let's Go! Mountaineers!

St. Petersberg will have seen less blood.

Ankf00
01-01-07, 02:05 PM
Drew Tate sucks.

The Baytown Brat implodes once again :laugh:

For someone who "took" his SATs while at a 7 on 7 tourney, you'd think he'd be a lot better at the football part... :gomer:

extramundane
01-01-07, 04:29 PM
Let's Go! Mountaineers!

The Missus got her Masters from WVU- looks like we're both getting schooled by the state of Georgia this weekend. :cry: ;)

Edited to say: Or perhaps not.

RHR_Fan
01-01-07, 06:31 PM
Big 10 Haters :gomer:

Badger defense really won that game in the second half today.

~Nicole

Badger
01-01-07, 06:33 PM
Hows the big SEC heavy hitters doing against the better big 10 teams today?

skaven
01-01-07, 06:53 PM
:(

OK

Props to PSU. The fumble returned for a touchdown broke the game open. I thought TEN would put up a lot more points than they did.

I didn't think much of ARKy going into their matchup with WIS - terrible QB play and coming off two losing seasons. I thought the Budgers would win this one, but I was hoping... WIS improves to 1-1 vs. ranked opponents. They certainly deserve to be in the top 25.

UM and OSU are favored too, but I'll keep rooting against them. :gomer:

I guess if UM rolls, then we should just give OSU the trophy today, save some airfare and send the pre-printed Gator national championship t-shirts to Sudan?

Insomniac
01-01-07, 07:07 PM
The Missus got her Masters from WVU- looks like we're both getting schooled by the state of Georgia this weekend. :cry: ;)

Edited to say: Or perhaps not.

:)

Looks like WVU showed Georgia and GT now. :) I'm surprised they won, and I'm sure Vegas didn't know Slaton was hurt (-10.5 to WVU). I can't complain, they won!

Ohh and Big East over ACC is always nice as well.

Insomniac
01-01-07, 07:09 PM
St. Petersberg will have seen less blood.

Not sure who you thought would be massacred. Ending up being a good game, although, it looked like WVU was going to be killed. I sure hope they can put together a better defense next year.

Dr. Corkski
01-01-07, 07:16 PM
Georgia Tech would like to dedicate their choke job to Reggie Ballz.

Badger
01-01-07, 07:20 PM
:(

OK

Props to PSU. The fumble returned for a touchdown broke the game open. I thought TEN would put up a lot more points than they did.

I didn't think much of ARKy going into their matchup with WIS - terrible QB play and coming off two losing seasons. I thought the Budgers would win this one, but I was hoping... WIS improves to 1-1 vs. ranked opponents. They certainly deserve to be in the top 25.
UM and OSU are favored too, but I'll keep rooting against them. :gomer:

Only one loss all year and that being to MI isn't a bad season. Besides, Penn St. will likely be ranked after beating another overhyped SEC team so make that two teams, and I can remind you of another SEC team (Auburn) that Wisconsin sent home with a loss just one year ago today. Perhaps the Big 10 has to create a better hype machine (like the SEC) so their initial rankings at the begining of the season are better.

Having said that, the RBs for Arkansas are the best I've seen all year, but Arkansas might be the most one dimensional offense (what's a pass) that a top ten team has had in quite a long time.

How many SEC fans crapped their pants when Mcfadden was caught from behind by a big slow big ten corner back. Even though it was early in the game, the hustle and speed showed by Jack was damn near a game changing moment.

skaven
01-01-07, 07:55 PM
Only one loss all year and that being to MI isn't a bad season. Besides, Penn St. will likely be ranked after beating another overhyped SEC team so make that two teams, and I can remind you of another SEC team (Auburn) that Wisconsin sent home with a loss just one year ago today. Perhaps the Big 10 has to create a better hype machine (like the SEC) so their initial rankings at the begining of the season are better.

Having said that, the RBs for Arkansas are the best I've seen all year, but Arkansas might be the most one dimensional offense (what's a pass) that a top ten team has had in quite a long time.

How many SEC fans crapped their pants when Mcfadden was caught from behind by a big slow big ten corner back. Even though it was early in the game, the hustle and speed showed by Jack was damn near a game changing moment.

Yeah, if PSU moves into the top 25, WIS will be 2-1 vs. ranked teams.

And, yeah, ARKy is too one dimensional. Any passing down or distance down and they are throwing a ball up for grabs.

Regarding hype machines, the numbers don't bear out your claim -

Preseason top 25:

Big 10 - 4 teams
SEC - 5 teams

And both had 4 in the top 20. OSU was #1 and the highest SEC team was #4. Therefore, I see no pre-season bias.

How about #2 Texas falls to #8 with a loss. #2 ND falls to #12 with a loss. #2 Auburn falls to #11 with a loss. #2 Florida falls to #9 with a loss. #2 Michigan falls to #3 with a loss. #2 USC falls to #8 with a loss.

To me, that UM only fell one spot reeks of a bias. Just sayin.'

I think the Big 10 hype machine is pretty efficient, so I don't see what your issue is with the rankings.

That said, I hope UM and OSU aren't as efficient today and in one week. We'll know soon enough. So far, PSU and WIS backed it up today.

Reluctant - :thumbup: - for the wins.

BTW, Badger, you might not remember, but we had a beer together at the Sigma racing party in the Chicago 'burbs. We should've talked football then too... :)

racermike
01-01-07, 09:32 PM
Michigan can stop crying now ....

pchall
01-01-07, 09:44 PM

:thumbup: Lloyd Carr can eat the runner up plaque.

Now, an OSU loss would make it a very Happy New Year. :)

coolhand
01-01-07, 10:13 PM
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f273/srj71/Trojans.jpg

before everyone else does it

Spicoli
01-01-07, 10:46 PM

before everyone else does it

Flippin SWEET!:D

FCYTravis
01-01-07, 10:47 PM
Cal stomping all over TAMU in the Holiday Bowl was sweet consolation. How about that "screw you guys, I'm not taking a knee, this one's for our seniors" TD at the end? :laugh:

skaven
01-01-07, 11:01 PM

:laugh: :laugh:

Does this mean, that if the umpossible happens and UF beats OSU, that UF doesn't have to share the title with Michigan? Yippee ! ! !

All that talk of a split title because the two best teams are UM and OSU was bummin' me out.

I don't give us much of a chance to beat OSU, but if we do, maybe we should share the national championship with Wisconsin instead? :gomer:

Lastly, if OSU fulfills its destiny as the best team ever, the Big 10 will be 3-4 in its bowl games, with all three wins vs. the SEC. I wouldn't like that much, but I'll enjoy the Michigan loss tonight and worry about Glendale later. :)

racermike
01-02-07, 12:14 AM
I love seeing Bob Stoops scowl on the sideline as his Sooner's are getting their asses handed to them by Boise State.

There is no better "mommy make the bad man stop" look in all of college football

Great stuff!!!

racermike
01-02-07, 02:03 AM
Wow .. amazing game

Might be the most fun game I have EVER watched

Simply amazing

coolhand
01-02-07, 02:08 AM
THe amazing part was that OU's offense played perfect at the end, however it was not enough when BSU went for it all.

devilmaster
01-02-07, 03:46 AM
Wow .. amazing game

Might be the most fun game I have EVER watched

Simply amazing

Can't agree more. That was just a fun game to watch. :thumbup:

And I really hope this spurs some change. Boise deserved a shot.

Andrew Longman
01-02-07, 10:18 AM
Can't agree more. That was just a fun game to watch. :thumbup:

And I really hope this spurs some change. Boise deserved a shot.

That behind the back handoff for 2 pts was perhaps the coolest thing I've seen on a football field.

BTW, they didn't show it in replay but on BSUs TD in OT the QB was in illegal forward motion at the snap. Big time. Or at least it looked it to me.

Don't really care though. Fun to watch the OSU fans twist.

Racing Truth
01-02-07, 02:15 PM
D@mn! Knew I should have stayed up late.:irked:

I love the Statue of Liberty call, followed up by Johnson proposing.:thumbup:

And how 'bout the Hook and Ladder to tie it!

No, this system is just fine as is...:gomer:

:Eagerly awaiting Ank's take on Okie:

PS: 'Attaboy Llllloyd! Way to coach your team DOWN. :laugh:

coolhand
01-02-07, 04:25 PM
what are the chances we will see and SEC team on the smurf turf?

Racing Truth
01-02-07, 04:33 PM

Love to see it. Doubt it though.

Ankf00
01-02-07, 05:11 PM

the only reason Ore St plays there is b/c the 2 schools are cultivating an annual border rivalry, no other Pac-10 team will ever go out there unless they're in the Smurf Bowl. Same goes for every other conference...

KLang
01-02-07, 05:13 PM

Is there a better quality shot of this around? :)

Ankf00
01-02-07, 05:33 PM
:Eagerly awaiting Ank's take on Okie:

what's left to say? It's 3:18pm and OU still sucks. :)

This cowboy in Luckenbach sat night was a hoot, giving me grief for my UT hat while I was leaning up on the bar watching a group of folks sitting around a table playing guitars & singing

aggy: Gig 'em!
me: *turn and nod, return to watching folk players/singers*
aggy: *to the cowboys next to him* I don't think he heard me. Can't believe he still wears that hat.
me: No, I heard you.
aggy: You still wearing that hat?
me: Yep.
aggy: Want my [deer hunting] hat? I'll trade you.
me: That's ok.
aggy: I'm always looking to help out the needy.
me: I like it just fine, thanks though.
aggy: How can you still wear that thing? Ain't you ashamed?
me: It worked out for me in LA last year.
aggy: I don't like LA. *disgusted look on face* You like LA? You go there all the time, huh?
me: Only last January, and the one before. [flies completely over his head]
aggy: Here's to the best 2 football teams in Texas. *toast*
*everyone returns to watching the jam session*
*Cowboy comes up to order another round*
aggy: You guys ain't gonna be s*** for the next 2 years. Tech's going to be real good. Aggies gonna win the conference.
me: Holiday bowl says different.
aggy: *consternated look on face* We whupped y'all 12-7.
me: You guys just got rolled by a buncha hippies from Berkeley.
aggy: *blushes* *silence*

That line is going to come in handy for a few years, I think. :D

He was a pleasant dude though, told everyone stories of when he was a competion cowboy & roper on the rodeo tour back in the day. Arrested in Vegas for riding horses down the strip :laugh: [/blog]

Cam
01-02-07, 05:50 PM
Is there a better quality shot of this around? :)

Search digg.com. ;)

coolhand
01-02-07, 10:18 PM
http://i11.tinypic.com/4h8qvwj.jpg

She has undies on,,,,, so sorry you perverts.

devilmaster
01-02-07, 10:30 PM
There's a great HD comparison if i've ever seen one.

Wonder if they'll use it for a commercial.

racermike
01-03-07, 01:22 AM
Here is best replay of last 10 minutes of Boise St / Oklahoma game I have found

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E99pob9v1r0&mode=related&search=

Andrew Longman
01-03-07, 08:37 AM

Oh yeah, QB definitely in illegal forward motion at the snap on the TD in OT

But so what

KLang
01-03-07, 10:14 AM
There's a great HD comparison if i've ever seen one.

Yes indeed. :)

skaven
01-03-07, 11:41 AM

Thanks ! ! ! :) :thumbup:

coolhand
01-03-07, 05:49 PM
http://mb25.scout.com/fthehivefrm1.showMessage?topicID=65970.topic

Stay classy morgantown

Insomniac
01-03-07, 08:21 PM

Stay classy morgantown

Obviously not how the great majority of WVU fans act. Not to mention the clear bias his VT fiance would have in "preparing" him for all the redneck and hick WVU fans.

Note: I'm assuming the story is true. (Benefit of the doubt, not because I'd expect that from anyone.)

Andrew Longman
01-03-07, 08:29 PM

Stay classy morgantown

Couldn't find an outhouse I guess.

You know having just bought more life insurance, applied for a lot of jobs and such I had to answer a whole lot of times whether I've ever been arrested.

Thankfully the arresting officer at Tiger Stadium 30 years ago saw the merit of "explaining" to some Tiger fans that they couldn't keep throwing beer cups at me and tore up the paperwork.

And I'm really glad I don't have to tell people for the rest of my life that I took a dump in a tuba at the 2007 Gator Bowl.:shakehead

Dr. Corkski
01-03-07, 08:42 PM

Stay classy morgantownIt's all relative in West Virginia.

Don Quixote
01-04-07, 12:45 AM
Q: Who's the second best QB in the Sugar Bowl
A: Brady Quinn

Ankf00
01-04-07, 12:47 AM
Q: Who's the second best QB in the Sugar Bowl
A: Brady Quinn

incorrect, the answer is Matt Flynn.

Don Quixote
01-04-07, 01:07 AM
incorrect, the answer is Matt Flynn.

Did I mention that you never want to play the genius coach of ND when he has 4 or 5 weeks to scheme against you. Just like last year. :rofl:

chop456
01-04-07, 02:35 AM
:rofl: :laugh: :rofl:

15/35 for 148 and 2 int's. He could be the next Ron Powlus. Maybe the next Rick Mirer if he's lucky. :rofl:

9 straight bowl losses. No wonder they're too afraid/greedy to play in a conference. My only dissapointment is that it wasn't 141-14.

Spicoli
01-04-07, 09:08 AM
haters. but yes, what the ****? 41 to 1`4? :shakehead

chop456
01-04-07, 09:36 AM
The Fighting Irish will end the postseason losing streak that dates back to 1994 because next season they'll be playing in some second-tier bowl game in a non-descript place like Shreveport, La., which is where they should have been playing during much of the last two decades.

SMACK! (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls06/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=2719490)

Don Quixote
01-04-07, 10:33 AM
In fairness to the "Fighting" Irish, they did improve defensively over last year's Fiesta Bowl. This year they only gave up 577 yards as compared to 600+ against the last team that they had 5 weeks to scheme against. I'm sure the genius coach realizes that defense wins championships. :laugh: :gomer:

Ankf00
01-04-07, 10:46 AM
that pro-style offense is the greatest offense in the history of the universe. no defense can stop that offense with 4 weeks to prepare. none. jabba is a quarterback genius, he s***s 5 star, 1st round quarterbacks in the morning. his quarterbacks are shittastic!

Wheel-Nut
01-04-07, 11:11 AM
On the other side of the ball, the LSU QB has one hell of an arm. When he learns to step into his throws there will be some receivers with broken hands!!

chop456
01-04-07, 11:57 AM
And let's not forget that The Sporting News picked ND #1 in their preseason rankings. :tony:

Don Quixote
01-04-07, 01:04 PM
I'm just glad that ND took up another BCS spot from some more deserving team. I would propose that they just seed the Irish into one of the BCS bowl games before the season starts, so we don't need to gnash our teeth all year long wondering which one it will be. Ank, the image of the genius s***ing out qb's is disturbing. :laugh:

Ankf00
01-04-07, 01:23 PM
On the other side of the ball, the LSU QB has one hell of an arm. When he learns to step into his throws there will be some receivers with broken hands!!

His laser rocket arm cannon has been one spectacular scene to behold the past couple of years. Used to be there wasn't a passing window anywhere on the field he couldn't squeeze that ball through and he often kept looking deep instead of going to a check down. He was a pick machine when the game was tight and they needed a clutch drive. Now he's a far more judicious when the pocket breaks down and he's trying to make a play. He's a lot like Leftwich physically, imo.

He still makes some poor throws into coverage, and his trio of all-world manbeast WR's never drop a ball which helps boost that comp %.

His talents will be wasted in a Walsh offense though. He needs to go somewhere where they air it out regularly.

And let's not forget that The Sporting News picked ND #1 in their preseason rankings. don't forget the AP either. not dropping them after the SC game last year, a few #1 votes & #2 ranking this year

Wheel-Nut
01-04-07, 01:37 PM
Is he coming out this year? Doesn't Oakland get the first pick? He reminds me more of Culpepper.

Ankf00
01-04-07, 01:49 PM
No idea, but he's submitted video to the NFL evaluation office, and Craig Davis & Dwayne Bowe are both Sr's. With his 2 fav targets leaving, he might. He's received the Simms treatment by the fans, been boo'ed, blamed, etc., 1/2 wanted Matt Flynn to start this year. He even said before the bowl he's playing for his coaches and teammates, not the fans.

A lot of ppl mention Culpepper, and they're very similar indeed, but Culpepper is/was far more mobile, 1000 yd rusher at UCF.

coolhand
01-04-07, 04:53 PM
http://www.myfoxal.com/myfox/MyFox/pages/sidebar_video.jsp?contentId=1955673&version=1&locale=EN-US

lolz

Don Quixote
01-04-07, 06:03 PM
http://www.myfoxal.com/myfox/MyFox/pages/sidebar_video.jsp?contentId=1955673&version=1&locale=EN-US

lolz
Sure, they love Sabin now. We'll see how long this honeymoon lasts.

Ankf00
01-04-07, 06:07 PM
love him? s***, that was a full blown redneck orgy!

ferrarigod
01-04-07, 06:14 PM
What do all these teams have in common?

Navy, Bowling Green, Central Michigan, Miami University, Northern Illinois, Toledo, Cincinnati, Connecticut, Lousiville, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, South Florida, Syracuse, West Virginia, Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi St, South Carolina, Tennessee, Boston College, Clemson, Florida St, Georgia Tech, Maryland, UMiami, North Carolina, North Carolina St, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Arizona, Arizona St, California, Oregon, Oregon St, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington, Washington St, Colorado, Iowa St, Kansas, Kansas St, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Texas, Texas Tech, East Carolina, Marshall, Memphis, Southern Mississippi, Tulane, Tulsa, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan St, Northwestern, Ohio St, Penn St, Purdue, Wisconsin, Air Force, BYU, Colorado St, TCU, UNLV, Utah, Wyoming, Boise St, Fresno St, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, San Jose St, North Texas, and Troy?

They have all won at least ONE bowl game since Notre Lame's last bowl victory.... 13 years ago.

:gomer:

Don Quixote
01-04-07, 06:53 PM
That's a pretty exclusive list. Heck, if I had an hour I bet I could think of one or two teams not listed. :gomer:

ferrarigod
01-05-07, 01:43 AM
That's a pretty exclusive list. Heck, if I had an hour I bet I could think of one or two teams not listed. :gomer:

It's Notre Lame's own fault. If they played teams they should play, instead of thinking they are good enough to play in BCS games like Fiesta and Sugar in the past 2 years, maybe they'd have a win by now.

When you should be playing Sunbelt teams and you're caught up with teams that actually play football, it can be hard to win sometimes.

Wheel-Nut
01-05-07, 10:17 AM
Where's Joe Montana when you need him . . .

Andrew Longman
01-05-07, 11:53 AM

So long as he beats Auburn and wins every game Bama fans will be happy and he will be fine... until he decides to take the ND (or take your pick) job.

Word is the rabid Bama boosters up north in steel and coal country are funding the contract.

In a way this makes it all the more impressive that Rodriguez and Schiano stayed where they are, but as Schiano said, "I can win where I am." He's right in that with limits on scholarships the big boys can no longer hoard players and with cable contracts players at almost any DI school can get national exposure. I'm hoping Schiano/Rutgers becomes the next Paterno/Penn St. He certainly has show that a winning team is built first on the character of the players (not the size of the coaches contract)

Ankf00
01-05-07, 12:56 PM
So long as he beats Auburn and wins every game Bama fans will be happy and he will be fine... until he decides to take the ND (or take your pick) job.

Tuberville held his own against Saban when Saban had all of Louisiana at his disposal, 3-2. Tuberville will go to Saban's mother's house and make a sandwich with her cheese.

Ankf00
01-05-07, 12:57 PM

lolz
The woman who molests Saban in that video? Well...

Colette Connell, one of the more exuberant fans at the airport, even had her own Saban cheer: “Praise the Lord, God is so good, Nick is now in the Bama hood.”

Later that day, Connell was arrested for driving under the influence.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070104/NEWS/701040342/1007/EDITORIAL

Don Quixote
01-05-07, 01:05 PM
^^^
She was under the influence of euphoria. :eek: Watch how fast they turn on him after 1 or 2 losses to Auburn.

Andrew Longman
01-05-07, 01:29 PM
Geez, Saban sure doesn't look to be overjoyed. Overwhelmed, annoyed, hungover, sleep deprived or something, but not thrilled.

As for the crowd, makes me proud I share citizenship with them.:rolleyes:

Ankf00
01-05-07, 01:39 PM
I love college football :D

Gnam
01-05-07, 02:06 PM
I wonder if anyone gave him this book for Christmas?

http://www.npr.org/books/summer/images/rammerjammer.jpg

St. John, a New York Times reporter and native Alabaman, explores the nature of extreme sports fandom in this compelling and funny book. Over the course of five months, St. John follows the University of Alabama's football team in his own RV and connects with the "RV culture," fans for whom game day is simply the focal point of a celebration that can last for days. Some of the fans he encounters are indeed extreme—like the couple that skipped their daughter's wedding because it took place on game day, or the man who risks having his name taken off a heart transplant list, declaring "If I can't go to Alabama football games, what's the point in living?"

With the intent of investigating hard-core "fandom" in all its extreme manifestations, St. John, an Alabama native and lifelong fan of the Crimson Tide, spent a season commingling with those who trail this college football team from stadium to stadium. He purchased a motor home and joined the dedicated crowd that often arrived for the Saturday game on Wednesday, jamming the roadways of the host town and jockeying for prime parking in lots where they quickly deployed all of the amenities of ongoing tailgate parties. The narrative is lively and entertaining, punctuated by rich regional speech patterns and sports-related profanity. A modest amount of space is devoted to analyzing fan moods/behaviors from a sociological standpoint (why fandom "is as much about opposing as advocating").

Ankf00
01-05-07, 02:11 PM
it's a good read. don't know if saban is capable of reading the english language though, I think he just specializes in a few characters such as "X," and "O" scattered over diagrams with little arrows pointing in random directions

ferrarigod
01-05-07, 02:39 PM
^^^
She was under the influence of euphoria. :eek: Watch how fast they turn on him after 1 or 2 losses to Auburn.

Well duh. Thats an SEC legacy.

skaven
01-05-07, 03:12 PM

Breaking news: ALABAMA FIRES SABAN :eek:

"Birmingham News" January 5, 2007

Referencing the massive riots that took place last night on the storied Tuscaloosa campus, President Bubba "Three Tooth" Glover said "We had to do it. We had to move on. We owe it to the Bear and to the boosters to renew the winning tradition at Alabama. Coach Saban has had two days to turn this program around, and it just isn't happening. No National Title, no SEC championship, not even a win over Auburn. The fans have a legitimate gripe, and we heard them loud and clear. We wish Coach Saban the best, but
he was clearly not the solution for the Crimson Tide."

Coach Saban, when reached at his home, said only "I have always preferred the spirit of High School football in my heart, and now I can pursue my real dream."

:gomer:

Don Quixote
01-05-07, 04:03 PM
:laugh:

Ankf00
01-05-07, 07:35 PM
someone not named Beano explaining big televen opposition to playoff systems: http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=Ai7t.fT0OFWvT.jD5nlg5BIcvrYF?slug=jo-delany010507&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

dando claiming "agenda driven lies" in 5, 4, 3, 2... :gomer:

wtf is dando anyway? :confused:

Don Quixote
01-05-07, 07:42 PM
someone not named Beano explaining big televen opposition to playoff systems: http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=Ai7t.fT0OFWvT.jD5nlg5BIcvrYF?slug=jo-delany010507&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Good question re: Dando. Maybe he is holed up in a central Ohio bunker until game time. Another interesting thing I noticed on that website: yes, still LSU 41, ND 14.

Ankf00
01-05-07, 07:53 PM
Brady Quinn imploding to the tune of Yakety Sax (http://youtube.com/watch?v=-6M9fIincgM)

all hail youtube.

skaven
01-07-07, 01:05 AM

Wave of Mutilation (random)

From your linked article -

From Big Ten headquarters in Chicago, Delany presides over a college sports monarchy. The Big Ten is the nation's biggest conference, a collection of 11 universities that covers an area with almost 25 percent of the nation's TV households and prompts television networks to genuflect. When Delany arrived at ESPN's headquarters in Bristol, Conn., this year, employees wore buttons that proclaimed "Bristol is Big Ten Country."

No wonder ESPN is up OSU's Buckhole... :gomer:

and from the same article,

But for those who expect Delany to cave in to public pressure anytime soon, he cites an important aspect of the latest contract he helped broker between the Rose Bowl and ABC that officially begins this year.

"We have an eight-year agreement with ABC in the Rose Bowl," he said. "So that speaks for itself."

That will give Delany, the Pac-10 and the Rose Bowl leverage to fight any move toward a playoff until 2014.

Until then, Delany sounds braced for the battle against Paterno, Carr, Florida's president and the growing public support for a college football playoff. It's a fight that might determine just how powerful Jim Delany is, and a fight he intends to win.

So, anyone who wants a playoff in college football, can thank (hate) the Big 10 for going against public opinion in the interests of self profit.

Delany sounds like quite the prick... a TG without the brain damage. :flame:

skaven
01-07-07, 01:08 AM
Again, thanks to USC for beating Fichigan so, in the unlikely event that OSU beats itself, UF doesn't have to split the title with Michigan... :thumbup:

Ankf00
01-07-07, 01:08 AM
ESPN tonight. USC's kicker Mario Danelo was found dead at the base of White Point Cliff in San Pedro, California. At this time the police are not releasing any other information.

RIP :(

skaven
01-07-07, 01:57 AM
Any predictions on THE game?

I think if the UF o-line plays well, then it should be a close game. Our o-line isn't very deep and is our weakest unit (outside of our FG unit). Leak tends to be mistake-prone if rushed heavily.

Otherwise, I think we match up pretty well. Michigan seemed to do well with the spread passing offense as they played behind most of the game. That is our basic set, so we should be able to move the ball if we don't have too many penalties... a big IF. I understand OSU has a really good CB who will probably match up vs. Dallas Baker. That leaves our #2 - #5 WR's with good matchups if Leak has time to pass. We haven't had a conventional RB attack as Wynn was injured most of the year. Hence, Tebow and Harvin picked up the slack. Wynn and Harvin should both be healthy for at least the first quarter of the first quarter.

On the other side of the ball, again it will come down to line play. However, even without our team's best player (DT Marcus Thomas suspended by Meyer), we have played very well vs. the run and have pressured the opposing QBs all season (we pressured LSU's Jamarcus Russell into a terrible game). They will need to continue to excel vs. the Heisman winner and keep him and the RB's contained. Ryan Smith (transfer from Utah and the only BCS bowl veteran on the team) is having a great year at CB. Like OSU, we have a dropoff after our best CB. I know OSU has at least 4 great WR's/ TE's, so there will be some good matchups for Troy Smith to try and exploit. However, we have Reggie Nelson who is an All-American at safety. He will absolutely jack up anyone coming across the middle and, as a junior, will leave early for the NFL and be a first rounder. Our LB's are fast and strong, like the OSU LB's. Our defense has been playing hurt all season, but hopefully they are healthy after the 31 day layoff (approx).

Regarding coaching, at this point, I can't think of a coach I'd rather have leading my team than Tressel. He has proven himself without a doubt. I suspect Meyer might be as good or better, but we don't know yet. I also am inherently suspicious of the "spread option" offense - I think partly because I lived in Chicago when Gary Crowton tried to run that in the NFL. It worked for one game vs. the Chefs, but that was it. As the athletes get better at each position (the NFL, the SEC and the better Big 10 teams, USC), I think the spread option is less effective. Last season UF abandoned the spread and went to an I-formation mid-season. With an extra season of practice and better-suited recruits, it has worked for 2 or 3 quarters of most games. Actually, the SECCG vs. Arky was our most complete game yet, so we might be peaking at the right time. (Vs. Arky we only melted down at the beginning of the 3rd quarter. :gomer: )

In summary (sorry for the long Bombay post), I can see why everyone is picking OSU to roll the Gators, but I think, (like Texas last year), we have a chance. I'm a Gator alumni, so I'm biased to some extent... ;)

My gut tells me 27-24 OSU.

I'll take the underdog with a late TD though... (some sorta Tebow trickery) 31-27 :)

dando, haters, anyone??? :confused:

Ankf00
01-07-07, 12:26 PM
tOSU excells out of the spread, they have the depth in the WR corps to make it work. However, UF has a pretty solid secondary, Riley Cooper, Ryan Smith, Reggie Nelson, they have the horses to keep up.

tOSU vs. UF rush D - a wash, i haven't seem them line up and just run people over all season, but pittman & wells are solid TB's and they've gotten better over the season. Even w/o marcus thomas UF hasn't been too bad, still have Jarvis Moss & Brandon Siler in the front 7.

tOSU has had their most problems on D vs. spread formations (Texas & Michigan), and UF will have no shortage of spread sets, only w/ a lot more imagination than UT & UM. They have a deep WR corps, a burner in Percy Harvin, tOSU secondary's gotten better as the season's progressed so this will be interesting. protection in the passing game is key. and tOSU has a solid front 7 with quinton peacock

UF rush game == a joke, tOSU will burninate the peoples. http://static.camwhores.com/camarchive/tagboard/smilies/trogdor.gif

tOSU's a disciplined solid team, if they can maintain their wits and play mistake free they should win, UF always makes mistakes. if Troy Smith has his moments like in the UM game, UF can make them pay. UF doesn't have superman under center this year though ;)

skaven
01-07-07, 01:55 PM
UF rush game == a joke, tOSU will burninate the peoples.

Nobody has established the run against Florida. Florida has won the rushing battle in all but three games in the Urban Meyer era. Arkansas, who is one of only three teams all time to have two 1000 yd rushers in the same backfield in the same season, was held over 100 yds below their average and outrushed by Florida by 70 yds.

Granted, Florida doesn't have a traditional 1,000+ yard runner this year, but Wynn has been mostly injured and Florida gets the speedy WRs involved in the running game.

tOSU's a disciplined solid team, if they can maintain their wits and play mistake free they should win, UF always makes mistakes. if Troy Smith has his moments like in the UM game, UF can make them pay. UF doesn't have superman under center this year though ;)

Granted, we don't have a VY like you did last year. I agree with your closing sentiment. Florida has to play relatively mistake free... for the first time this year.

This lay off is killing me... ready to get it on. :thumbup:

skaven
01-07-07, 06:17 PM
Holy... we are so doomed... even the Pope is from Big 10 country. :(

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e170/andyjung/popewithosuflag.jpg

Insomniac
01-07-07, 07:51 PM
How are the conferences stacking up now? Big East was 5-0. :)

Al Czervik
01-07-07, 08:29 PM
Brady Quinn imploding to the tune of Yakety Sax (http://youtube.com/watch?v=-6M9fIincgM)

all hail youtube.

Classic! :thumbup:

coolhand
01-07-07, 08:36 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=ApvCG9CThpFh3ZJyyCeXMQ0cvrYF?slug=dw-harvincol010607&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Dan Wetzel is still an idiot. We are not at that game because of one Freshman? He wrote a whole article on this?:gomer:

I guess his Woodward and Bernstein work on Reggie Bush has hit a dead end.

skaven
01-07-07, 08:40 PM

Big 10 2-4 :thumdown:
ACC 4-4
SEC 5-3 :thumbup:
Big 12 3-5
Big East 5-0 :eek:
Pac 10 3-3

One game left...

Andrew Longman
01-08-07, 09:50 AM

I'm thrilled, but now maybe Big East teams will get to play teams better than WMU, ECU and KSU.

Ankf00
01-08-07, 10:41 AM
I'm thrilled, but now maybe Big East teams will get to play teams better than WMU, ECU and KSU.

:rofl:

yea, the matchups were a joke, even WVU vs. GT was supposed to be a gimme against an underclassman qb starting his 1st game. however, the big east has played some solid football this season, none of the teams played at a top 5 level but they are leaps and bounds from where they used to be, and they're definitely better than the ACC :laugh: Big East is moving north.

and Bobby Petrino has now whored himself for the Atl Falcons job, Ron Mexico vs Matt Schaub might get interesting http://www2.hornfans.com/wwwthreads/images/icons/popcorn.gif

Insomniac
01-08-07, 11:18 AM

They didn't pick their opponents and after the Miami, VT and BC defections they lost some bowl games.