PDA

View Full Version : R.Miller gives us the smack on 2006

pchall
12-31-06, 10:51 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/775000/images/_779487_spoon_needle.jpg

You'll have to wade through a lot of NASCRAP and EARL, but Miller's quips reviewing 2006 in motorsports is worth a reading and will give you a much needed off season Champ Car and F1 fix:

http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/34579/

small sample dose:

• After more than 100 starts, Jenson Button finally wins an F1 race in the rain at Budapest. Autosport prints a special issue, Button is knighted by the Queen and proclaimed the greatest single U.K. contribution since The Beatles. He says the victory won't change him and immediately returns to mid-pack.

and

• ESPN airs a four-part special on Michael Waltrip Racing. The end is near.

Spicoli
12-31-06, 11:08 AM
Michael Andretti, Eddie Cheever and Al Unser Jr. all come out of retirement to run Indy again. "The field is as deep as it's ever been," declares Andretti, who will now say anything for enough money.

:rofl:

Nelson Philippe wins his first Champ Car race at Surfer's Paradise after Bourdais stuffs leader and local hero Will Power, who was in the lead at the time. Afterwards, Seabass blames Paul Tracy.

:thumbup:

Ziggy
12-31-06, 11:28 AM
Somebody call Greg Rakestraw;)

Indy
12-31-06, 12:21 PM
'The most exciting driver in Formula One is starting a new career in tin-top toilets. Ayrton Senna just rolled over in his grave.'

Miller drives me crazy, but he must be the only journalist left who is willing to state the difference between a car and a toilet.

Andrew Longman
12-31-06, 01:37 PM
Somewhat glaring that there is no mention of Paul Dana.:thumdown:

Also, I never knew this:

Owner Ron Hemelgarn orders Carmelo Anthony's name taken off his cars on race morning because "the check was never in the mail."

Cripes:rolleyes:

pchall
12-31-06, 09:29 PM

Somehow I think that Miller -- in a rare moment of sensitivity and tact when writing about the IRL -- intentionally omitted any reference to that because of the tone of the rest of the review.

He did, however, include this interesing assessment of NASCAR newbies by St. Dale, Lite:

"I think our new fans find the races quite a bit too long. I think they'd be more interested in seeing 300-mile races than 500-mile races. There is that point in the middle of the race where it's sort of pointless. We're just kind of cutting laps is basically what we are doing to get to the end."

A weary Lil' E projecting his mid-race ennui on the fans? Maybe NASCAR should have sent there own Mersau of Motorsport to the ROC in Paris to impress the French fans. ;)

Jervis Tetch 1
01-01-07, 06:17 PM
'The most exciting driver in Formula One is starting a new career in tin-top toilets. Ayrton Senna just rolled over in his grave.'

Miller drives me crazy, but he must be the only journalist left who is willing to state the difference between a car and a toilet.:thumbup:

formulaben
01-01-07, 07:07 PM

Since the article was very tongue-in-cheek at times, so I don't think adding that would have been fitting.

RusH
01-01-07, 08:50 PM
This ranks close to the top as far highlights of 2006 for me :D
http://www.speedtv.com/_assets/library/img/medium/132836_irlhomesteadsimmons1.jpg

Andrew Longman
01-02-07, 08:58 AM
Since the article was very tongue-in-cheek at times, so I don't think adding that would have been fitting.

I thought of that but he mentioned DaMatta's near death experience. Perhaps the difference in "near" and remarkable recovery