PDA

View Full Version : New mattress

WickerBill
12-27-06, 02:43 PM
So you folks are a smart lot (or at least most of you are, and the rest of you think you are)... I'm now in the market for a new mattress, and wondered if anyone has any strong feelings on standard coil mattresses vs. tempurpedic vs. sleep number vs. whatever else is out there.... I don't know anything about them at all, currently sleep on a standard Serta coil-type.

Ideas?

KLang
12-27-06, 03:37 PM
We went through this last month. I started out by checking Consumer Reports. The bottom line from them was to go spend some time laying on a bunch and buy what felt the best to you.

I noticed looking at newspaper ads that there is no way to price compare between stores as the models are all named differently. We just went to a store that was conveniently located and carried the major brands.

I didn't care for the feel of the Tempurpedic, too soft for my back. I didn't even bother with the sleep number. I assume they have some electric/mechanical pumps or whatever inside. I just can't imagine having a bed that could potentially have a mechanical breakdown.

We ended up buying a Sealy Posturpedic. But even within the Sealy line there was at least a dozen different styles/top treatments/firmness. Just had to try them all out until we found one we both liked.

SteveH
12-27-06, 03:46 PM
Tempurpedic - have heard these beds can become very warm to sleep in during hot weather as the foam traps your body heat. Not that I'm considering one, though.

Wabbit
12-27-06, 04:48 PM
Sleep number beds rock! You can change the firmness of your bed whenever you want. Only downside is the lack of "the motion of the ocean".

Elmo T
12-27-06, 05:00 PM
I noticed looking at newspaper ads that there is no way to price compare between stores as the models are all named differently. We just went to a store that was conveniently located and carried the major brands.

We had the same problem. We went with a Stearns and Foster, but the style was only carried in one dealer. You are constantly comparing apples to oranges.

Try the epinions website for endless opinions.... ;)

WickerBill
12-27-06, 05:12 PM
Try the epinions website for endless opinions.... ;)

Yeah, you know, I was on Epinions and that's when I decided to post here. Bleargh.

Joelski
12-27-06, 06:55 PM
Tempurpedic - have heard these beds can become very warm to sleep in during hot weather as the foam traps your body heat. Not that I'm considering one, though.

Nope. Never had a bit of trouble with it, and you sleep like a champion! :)

WickerBill
12-27-06, 07:55 PM

Would probably depend on how much you weigh, right? That would determine how much you sink, therefore how much body heat is trapped?

Insomniac
12-27-06, 09:13 PM
Would probably depend on how much you weigh, right? That would determine how much you sink, therefore how much body heat is trapped?

I don't have one, but it shouldn't matter. The foam is not solid/water proof so it allows air to circulate. Otherwise, whatever part of your body is resting on it will probably get sweaty/hot.

Joelski
12-27-06, 09:22 PM
I don't have one, but it shouldn't matter. The foam is not solid/water proof so it allows air to circulate. Otherwise, whatever part of your body is resting on it will probably get sweaty/hot.

That is correct.

Cam
12-27-06, 10:00 PM
Hammock. :D

cart7
12-27-06, 10:50 PM

Can you set out a couple glasses of wine and jump up and down on the bed without them spilling? That's pretty important to me.

Wheel-Nut
12-27-06, 11:13 PM
^^ My wife and I bought one of the memory foam beds, Trueform I think. I was concerned about it getting hot, it doesn't. I really like not being able to feel her toss and turn all night. You probably can set a glass of wine on it and not spill it.

It took about a month to get used to it but I don't think I would ever buy a spring bed again.

Sean O'Gorman
12-27-06, 11:36 PM
Hammock. :D

The nice thing about a hammock is if it catches on fire, you'll probably flip over and wake up and not burn to death. :gomer:

WickerBill
12-28-06, 12:19 AM
And I'm sure the nice thing about memory foam is that if it catches fire, you will die from the noxious fumes from the burning polyurethane before your flesh actually burns. Sweet.

datachicane
12-28-06, 03:52 AM
I live in an old house, and discovered shortly after moving in that my queen-sized bed wouldn't fit up the stairs to the large master bedroom- nor were there any windows of adequate size to accomodate it.

After mucho research, I found a Stearns and Foster that lacks a perimeter rail, and thus can be folded :eek: :eek: - no *****. The delivery guys refused to bend it at the 90+ degree angle that it took to navigate the stairs, despite reassurances from the factory rep on the phone, so I had to schlep the thing up by myself.

I was all set to buy some pneumatic or foam alternative, but the wife had to have a 'regular' mattress. I griped about the very large price, but... I gotta admit, it's the most amazing mattress I've ever slept on. It's going on ten years old now, and is still going strong. I can't even tell when my wife sits on the edge right next to me- I suspect it would still pass the ubiquitous wine glass and bowling ball test. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Insomniac
12-28-06, 09:19 AM
It took about a month to get used to it but I don't think I would ever buy a spring bed again.

What was different about it? Was it comfortable from day 1?

RusH
12-28-06, 09:53 AM
A very happy Sealy Posturepedic owner here:thumbup:
Got tired of buying the $199 special and putting it on the curb after 3 years.:gomer:

Wheel-Nut
12-28-06, 10:31 AM
What was different about it? Was it comfortable from day 1?

It's hard to describe. Yes, it was comfortable from the first day. There is zero "spring back" action. It is like once you get settled on it it conforms to your body like a glove. I think it is more of a mental thing. You expect a mattress to act a certain way and the memory foam just doesn't act as expected.

Someone asked above if you sink into it. I weigh 240# and only "sink" about 2" maximum. Of course if I kneel on it or stand on it I sink a bit farther with the concetrated load of my weight not being spread out over the whole of my body.

Joelski
12-28-06, 12:40 PM
And I'm sure the nice thing about memory foam is that if it catches fire, you will die from the noxious fumes from the burning polyurethane before your flesh actually burns. Sweet.

Wrong again. The foam actually traps less air than a traditional mattress and is is wrapped in a fire retardant material. They actually lead the mattress industry in safety.

http://www.backchannelmedia.com/newsletter/articles/3176/Mattress-Fire-Safety-is-a-Top-Priority-for-Tempur-Pedic-International-Inc

Joelski
12-28-06, 12:42 PM
Wrong again. The foam actually traps less air than a traditional mattress and is is wrapped in a fire retardant material. They actually lead the mattress industry in safety.

Speeaking of noxious fumes, you're more likely to be overcome by the cyanide gases given off by the burning pleather jacket in the closet!

http://www.backchannelmedia.com/newsletter/articles/3176/Mattress-Fire-Safety-is-a-Top-Priority-for-Tempur-Pedic-International-Inc

Insomniac
12-28-06, 04:57 PM

Great, now everyone with one will have cancer in 20 years. ;)

WickerBill
12-28-06, 05:01 PM
By the way Insomniac, due to your nickname, I'm not taking any advice you give on a mattress... ;)

Insomniac
12-28-06, 05:48 PM
By the way Insomniac, due to your nickname, I'm not taking any advice you give on a mattress... ;)

Hehe, my lack of sleep has nothing to do with the matress. I think somethings just wrong with me, I can't sleep in no matter when I go to bed. Well, that and the nickname came by looking at a stack of CDs and one of them was a Green Day album. :)

Ohhh, and the only other advice I have is take Tempur-pedic up on their 30-day trial if you're considering memory foam. I have an old Sealy Posturpedic. I think it's getting close to get a new one since the springs are less springy.

CART 500
12-28-06, 09:41 PM
After going to every mattress store around us we end up a the Sleep Number store.At first I thought it was a bunch of high priced hype.My wife went for the sales pitch and we ended buying one.We have found everything the salesperson said about them is true.We have never slept better and my old once sore back is 100x better.They are worth the $$$ IMO

TravelGal
12-29-06, 02:43 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. The LAST time I bought a mattress, we went around and spent time on all the different choices in a zillion stores. Picked the one we liked the best. It has never really been comfortable.

I surely don't want to lose another 10 years of being on a mattress I don't like so I have been putting off getting another one for more than two years! Looks like I'll be out investigating some of your suggestions. Thanks again.