PDA

View Full Version : President Ford dies at 93

WickerBill
12-27-06, 01:07 AM

RHR_Fan
12-27-06, 01:12 AM
I was just about to post this. :(

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10949314/

He wasn't president during my lifetime and I never really learned a lot about him in school, but he seemed like a good guy.

~Nicole

devilmaster
12-27-06, 01:16 AM

TravelGal
12-27-06, 02:51 AM
:(

Robstar
12-27-06, 06:48 AM
Saw that on the news tonight... :(

93 isn't a bad innings though... :)

Stu
12-27-06, 08:06 AM
sad stuff :(

Napoleon
12-27-06, 09:54 AM
I still have my WIN butten from those days long ago when he was President.

KLang
12-27-06, 11:11 AM
RIP Mr. President. :(

Maybe this will keep Trump out of the news for a few days.

Joelski
12-27-06, 11:54 AM
I bet Kennedy, Reagan and Nixon probably wish they'd taken the earlier tee time!

:D

TKGAngel
12-27-06, 03:14 PM
He was the first man to serve as VPOTUS and POTUS without being elected to either post. That's quite an accomplishment.

Ankf00
12-27-06, 05:17 PM
wow, I remember seeing his mug on tv in between sports highlights at the bar but thought nothing of it

RIP http://www2.hornfans.com/wwwthreads/images/icons/flag.gif

RTKar
12-27-06, 08:54 PM
President at a difficult time in this country's history, thankfully the Constitution and system worked. As he once said, "I'm a Ford not a Lincoln".

G.
12-27-06, 09:29 PM
History Channel ran their canned Life Of Gerald Ford, or whatever it was called, a few times today. The man had an unenviable task: put America back together again after WGate.

He was my "first" President. I sort of remember Nixon, maybe more than "sort of", but Ford was my awakening into politics.

He made Chevy Chase.

RIP, Mr. President.

RIP.:(

Andrew Longman
12-28-06, 10:52 AM
As a kid growing up in a decidedly anti Nixon, antiwar household I was not all too pleased with his pardon of Nixon, but I guess history has another view of that.

I actually had lunch with him as part of an honors program in college. I found him to be a very decent and authentic man.

A couple of interesting facts:

His "real" name was Leslie Lynch King, Jr. Is mom left his abusive dad when he was two weeks old and moved to Michigan. She married Gerald Ford and started calling he son that, but his name was not legally changed for more than 20 years.

Chevy Chase and Ford became great friends.

During the 76 campaign, a writer wrote that Ford's son was a better campaigner than the he. Ford summoned the reporter to meet with him on AF1. The reporter expected to get blasted, but instead was offered a Scotch and thanked for the compliment on the son. It seems that Ford was worried about his son (and some drug issues he may have had) and wanted to tell the reporter he was happy to hear that he was doing so well.

Ford was picked to be VP because he was the nicest guy in DC and Nixon thought a) he could get the nomination through and b) that Ford had enough friends in Congress to keep him from impeachment and c) Congress and the nation would not want such a pleasant guy as their president.

Nixon obviously only got part of it right.

Anyway, sad to see good people wrap it up but he left behind a good trail.