PDA

View Full Version : ipod nano 30gb

spinner26
12-26-06, 08:52 PM
So, we buy one for the oldest boy (7) for Christmas and now find out we have to pay itunes to access the songs / video's. WTF?

Am I just that gullible to believe that is my only option or are there options?

Thanks.

cameraman
12-26-06, 09:17 PM
You can buy the music if you so desire but:

You can rip any cd you want to either an mp3 or acc file and load it on the iPod. You use iTunes to manage your library you create on your pc or mac. It downloads for free or it probably came with the iPod on a disk.

My iTunes library has 16188 items in it of which 45 were purchased through the iTunes music store. The rest are CDs and LP's and even a few 78's that I have ripped or recorded.

By the way a 16188 item itunes library that is ripped at a high bit rate takes up over 240 GB of drive space, and the backup requires a yet another external drive.

Insomniac
12-26-06, 09:25 PM
You only bought a player, unfortunately it includes no music. cameraman gave you some ways to get music, and you know about iTunes Music Store ($0.99 a song). Unfortunately that covers most of your legal options.

On the non iPod front, there are other players that let you use services in which you pay a flat monthly or yearly fee (I believe in the $100-120 range) and you have unlimited access to their music catalog and can load up your PC/MP3 player with songs. The caveat is, if you stop paying the fee, you can't play the music. With iTunes, you own it.

Spicoli
12-26-06, 09:40 PM
you're ****ed! :eek:

j/k bro - lotsa options, don;t panic.

God gave us bittorrent and limewire.:)

rabbit
12-26-06, 10:20 PM
On the non iPod front, there are other players that let you use services in which you pay a flat monthly or yearly fee (I believe in the $100-120 range) and you have unlimited access to their music catalog and can load up your PC/MP3 player with songs. The caveat is, if you stop paying the fee, you can't play the music. With iTunes, you own it.
I subscribe to Napster To Go. It's 14.99/month and, as you said, I get unlimited downloads. If I quit subscribing, I lose the songs. But the way I see it, I would spend at least $15/month on CDs as it is. And this way I get as many CDs as I want AND I can download and try any CD without the worry of paying more for it. If I don't like it, I'm not out anything.

datachicane
12-26-06, 10:25 PM
http://bt.etree.org/

Get the kid listening to trade-friendly bands, and your problems are over. You can put the money you'll save into his college fund.

As an added bonus, I'm not aware of any trade-friendly rap artists.:D

devilmaster
12-26-06, 10:48 PM
God gave us bittorrent and limewire.:)

Which has pissesth off the RIAA; and God saw that it was good. :)

Robstar
12-27-06, 06:52 AM
As posted above, DL & install iTunes & it wants all your CD's... once they're on there (machine that is), too easy to dump them on the Xmas iPod... Dude 30Gb, you could put movies on that lil' baby...

If CD's are a problemo, speak to Spicoli... ;)

spinner26
12-27-06, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the insight. Daddy is a techno dummy.

rosawendel
12-27-06, 09:11 AM
i have my entire cd library on mine (about 300 disks).

the only thing that i bought from apple was the ipod itself. if you sign up for the store, you can download album artwork for free, and you can subscribe to podcasts for free. i haven't bought a single song from apple, and i have no intention of doing so in the future.

there are third party software programs that will enable you to take songs off of your (or someone else's) ipod and copy them to a second one.

WickerBill
12-27-06, 09:46 AM
By the way, the title of this thread is deceiving -- I thought this was a product announcement and I was about to positively freak out.

Insomniac
12-27-06, 09:50 AM
I subscribe to Napster To Go. It's 14.99/month and, as you said, I get unlimited downloads. If I quit subscribing, I lose the songs. But the way I see it, I would spend at least $15/month on CDs as it is. And this way I get as many CDs as I want AND I can download and try any CD without the worry of paying more for it. If I don't like it, I'm not out anything.

I use the Yahoo! Music Engine. Only problem with all these is none of the services support the iPod. You have to convert thr music, which is DRM'd.

chop456
12-27-06, 09:58 AM
By the way, the title of this thread is deceiving -- I thought this was a product announcement and I was about to positively freak out.

I was thinking the same thing. Wow! That's one big memory card! :D

Napoleon
12-27-06, 10:03 AM

Since the Nano only has 8 GB so he must be talking about the regular i-pod.

This summer I bought an i-pod, the most expensive one at $250 with 4GB. 2 weeks later they doubled the capacity of the most expensive one to 8GB with no increase in cost. I wanted to cry.

rosawendel
12-27-06, 10:22 AM
agreed. i have a refurbished 30g ipod with video (a feature i will probably never use). about $190 after tax from the apple web page. you can also get what they call "refreshed" (i guess a marketing variation of "refurbished") ipods at apple stores.

WickerBill
12-27-06, 10:46 AM
This summer I bought an i-pod, the most expensive one at $250 with 4GB. 2 weeks later they doubled the capacity of the most expensive one to 8GB with no increase in cost. I wanted to cry.

In the exact same spot right now. Kid got a nice clock/radio iPod dock *and* my 20gb iPod Color for Christmas. I absolutely love the new Nano, with the aluminum case and super-bright screen... but what if I buy the all-black 8gb today and the 16gb comes out in January? I'll be sick.

Napoleon
12-27-06, 11:06 AM
WB,

My story actually gets better.

After having the Nano for a couple of months and learning all the ways I can use it, for example with accessories playing it on the car radio and podcast of some of my favorite radio programs and all, and bumping up against the 4GB limit I decide to upgrade. I would have been tempted to go to a regular I-pod which really is not all that big and I think I could bike and hike with it, but because I had bought a bunch of accessories for the Nano I decide to go with the new Nano.

Well it turns out the new Nano is shaped different from the old one and most of my accessories are obsolete with it. Talk about getting screwed.

At least I got $160 for the old one on E-bay.

Andrew Longman
12-27-06, 11:50 AM
I read recently that it can be a good idea to get an extended warranty for ipods. The batteries eventually wear out and cannot be replaced.:irked:

Neat device though. My kids love their Nanos, but my Dad was given one for Xmas which he can't use with his brand new $3K hearing aids. He plans to use it as a flash drive for his computer.

chop456
12-27-06, 12:19 PM
I read recently that it can be a good idea to get an extended warranty for ipods. The batteries eventually wear out and cannot be replaced.:irked:

Urban myth.

nrc
12-27-06, 12:52 PM
Urban myth.

Which part? They do wear out (like any rechargeable battery) and they can't be replaced by a typical consumer. Apple has a "replacement program" but from what I understand they really just swap your iPod for a refurbished unit. It also costs a bit more time and trouble than most folks would expect from a battery replacement.

cameraman
12-27-06, 12:59 PM
The batteries eventually wear out and cannot be replaced.:irked: Apple will replace any iPod (same model) if the battery has died for $59.
http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/service/battery/

do it yourself kits are available at places like this:
http://www.ipodbatterydepot.com/

$17.75 for the Nano battery kit.

Andrew Longman
12-27-06, 01:09 PM
Thanks. Good to know.

And good to know the Newark Star Ledger isn't always right.:gomer:

Insomniac
12-27-06, 01:42 PM
Neat device though. My kids love their Nanos, but my Dad was given one for Xmas which he can't use with his brand new $3K hearing aids. He plans to use it as a flash drive for his computer.

That's an expensive flash drive. Just last week I saw a 4GB one for $20.

cameraman
12-27-06, 02:04 PM
but my Dad was given one for Xmas which he can't use with his brand new $3K hearing aids.

Ironic considering how rampant iPod use at high volumes is rapidly increasing the market for hearing aids:shakehead

Turn it down, people.

TKGAngel
12-27-06, 03:13 PM
When I bought my ipod mini 2 years ago, Apple had stopped including the AC adapter with the product. $30 later I could finally plug my ipod into the wall to charge.

My kids love their Nanos, but my Dad was given one for Xmas which he can't use with his brand new $3K hearing aids. He plans to use it as a flash drive for his computer.

Has he thought about getting speakers so that he can use it at his desk or other location in place of a radio? The sound card on my computer at work is crap, so I disconnected my speakers and used them to plug in my ipod so I can have music during the day.

ferrarigod
12-27-06, 06:05 PM
www.limewire.com

steal the music then convert it. easy.

pfc_m_drake
12-27-06, 08:14 PM
Apple has a "replacement program" but from what I understand they really just swap your iPod for a refurbished unit.

Correct. That's the $99 option, which is a bit pricey. Possibly the worst part is that you lose your music in the process (since they swap your iPod for a refurbished one)...so if you take advantage of this program, be sure you run a backup before you send it in for replacement!

WickerBill
12-27-06, 08:43 PM
www.limewire.com

steal the music then convert it. easy.

Yar har, fiddle dee dee. (http://www.koreus.com/media/you-are-a-pirate.html)

devilmaster
12-27-06, 08:47 PM

:laugh: very trad shanty...

Ankf00
12-27-06, 09:06 PM
http://www2.hornfans.com/wwwthreads/images/icons/pirate.gif

Napoleon
12-27-06, 09:33 PM
Possibly the worst part is that you lose your music in the process

?????

How, the i-pod sync with your desktop only goes in one direction, desktop to i-pod. So as long as the music in i-tunes on your desktop is intact you can move it to any i-pod with a sync.

pfc_m_drake
12-27-06, 11:08 PM
?????

How, the i-pod sync with your desktop only goes in one direction, desktop to i-pod. So as long as the music in i-tunes on your desktop is intact you can move it to any i-pod with a sync.
Not all of us use i-tunes with our iPods :eek: :)

ferrarigod
12-28-06, 12:28 AM

Yar. :thumbup:

I don't think the music industry is in any position to complain about theft. Just ask an artist how much they actually make per cd.

cameraman
12-28-06, 12:54 AM
A relative of mine has quite a bit on iTunes.
He gets 70 cents per download.