PDA

View Full Version : IRL TV: "IRL races are glorified ad-buys" So say Media Insiders

SurfaceUnits
12-24-06, 02:15 PM
With all the news about CCWS' TV deal, and all forum experts claiming to know exactly what is in the details, I find it refreshing to read what REAL media insiders have to say about the IRL's deal.

According to industry television sources, whereas FOX and NBC/TNT must pay NASCAR for the rights to broadcast its races, IndyCar must, in fact, pay ABC.

IRL races are glorified ad-buys, so they can afford to work with preexisting partners to offer the side-by-side coverage.

My understanding was that IRL broadcasts are advertising buys by the series to the network partner. Five different people -- some in NASCAR, some, even, involved in the production of ABC's IRL broadcasts, confirmed this notion. Five people.

Still the only word we have from "insiders" on the CCWS/ABC deal is that Champ Car is being paid. That from one person from ABC.

chop456
12-24-06, 02:25 PM
http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11457

That's okay. Still a relevant story that highlights the typical behavior of the inferior league.

SurfaceUnits
12-24-06, 02:31 PM
Oops, I did a search before I posted, oh well, it's always good to be reminded of the facts.

ferrarigod
12-24-06, 08:04 PM
i think we are paying. i think the income from the mindy 500 pays the bill for the rest if the season.

no insiders. just how i'd do business if i were abc.

Spicoli
12-24-06, 08:17 PM
i think we are paying. i think the income from the mindy 500 pays the bill for the rest if the season.

no insiders. just how i'd do business if i were abc.

I think the IRL sucks and will continue to suck until there is no more suck to suck out of the thing.:tony:
\
Time buys! Emulating ChampCar once again! :p

Thanks Tony!:thumbup:

Hameroids
12-24-06, 09:50 PM
the IRL sucks and will continue to suck until there is no more suck to suck out of the thing

yup

SurfaceUnits
12-25-06, 12:44 PM
OK, from what I've read recently, the Indy 500 on its own used to get 20 million for the month of May. Now the Leeg gets 13 million for the season, including the Marion County 500. Hey Tony, Fred really got you a great deal on that one.

anyway, someone is using the info to slap snuggles around over at 7thdolans, so all is well.

cart7
12-25-06, 06:19 PM
That article was refuted several weeks later by Fred Nation here.

http://www.nascar.com/2006/news/opinion/09/21/smith.side.coverage/index.html

SurfaceUnits
12-25-06, 06:42 PM

Fred Nation says that's incorrect. The IRL, he said, gets paid for the rights to broadcast its races just like NASCAR does. :cry: :cry: Do you hear what I said, we get paid , we get paid.:cry: :cry: you call that refuting?

it was refuted by snuggles and other irl media insiders as well.

EDwardo
12-26-06, 11:53 AM

My understanding was that IRL broadcasts are advertising buys by the series to the network partner. Five different people -- some in NASCAR, some, even, involved in the production of ABC's IRL broadcasts, confirmed this notion. Five people.

But old Fred said, "Hrmphhhh, not so. And I would never invent facts to refute other facts with"!

Bah............:yuck:

cart7
12-27-06, 07:54 AM
The thread was trash-canned over at TF before it could get going. There is definitely something going on there. According to the second article, earl sponsors don't want the side-by-side commercials during the 500 but it's perfectly alright for the other 15 races out of the year. That, I think, is where the time buy probably comes in. I'm betting any money the irl gets from ABC is for broadcast rights to the 500. The rest of the season the races are put on the air however and whichever channel the mouse network decides to put them on for nothing. The irl wants the s-b-s commercials but the sponsors won't tolerate them unless they get a discount rate, that's where the money comes from. The earl is probably picking up the tab for the difference between normal ad time from sponsors and the discount rate they get for tolerating the s-b-s junk.

nrc
12-27-06, 10:29 AM

Sounds like the kind of "financial details were not disclosed" deal that the lemmings love to trash, but Fred gets a pass because he's beyond repute.

I suspect that the truth is that Tony get's paid for Indy in Green Stamps and he cashes a lot of them in on the coverage for the rest of the year.

TKGAngel
12-27-06, 03:20 PM
The earl is probably picking up the tab for the difference between normal ad time from sponsors and the discount rate they get for tolerating the s-b-s junk.

I would have loved to have seen the pitch given by the IRL to their sponsors' ad agencies regarding the S-B-S format. If those sponsor's media planners are worth their hourly rate, they had better have negotiated make-goods or bonus spots to make up for having 1/2 the screen not be the commercial.

Andrew Longman
12-27-06, 05:35 PM
I would have loved to have seen the pitch given by the IRL to their sponsors' ad agencies regarding the S-B-S format. If those sponsor's media planners are worth their hourly rate, they had better have negotiated make-goods or bonus spots to make up for having 1/2 the screen not be the commercial.

I dunno. Someone probably had some neat study done projecting that SBS would eliminate channel surfing and tivoing past the commercals altogether.

pchall
12-27-06, 11:19 PM
WTF? Who watches tv anymore?

Spicoli
12-27-06, 11:21 PM
WTF? Who watches tv anymore?

Wii

http://www.toyota.com.np/bmenu/tlogo.gif