PDA

View Full Version : Ford Wants Champ Car for its New Racing Series

SurfaceUnits
12-22-06, 05:19 PM
So what Davis wants to do now is make money on another, all-new racing series that, at first anyway, would feature FR500GT spec cars. Several sanctioning bodies are interested, but Davis’s first choice would be to have the Champ Car World Series sanction it and run the races on Saturday afternoons in conjunction with Champ Car’s Sunday shows in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. Looking at the 2007 Champ Car schedule, that would be 13 possible races. Since Ford is the engine supplier for Champ Car, it makes sense, and Davis says the owners and management of the open-wheel series “are really enthusiastic about it.” It’s too late for a full 2007 series — at present, only three cars exist — but Davis would like to start the series midway through 2007.

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtests/11871/2006-ford-mustang-fr500gt.html

http://www.caranddriver.com/assets/image/2006/Q4/102620061312018853.jpg

G.
12-22-06, 05:52 PM
Niiiiccceee!

It would appear that someone sort of knows how to run a racing Series.

Feeder. Check.
Associate series. Check.
New car. Check.

pchall
12-22-06, 07:53 PM
Pony car racing. :)

What do Chryco and GM have in the pipeline?

SteveH
12-22-06, 08:28 PM
Trans Am reborn

:fingerscrossed:

SurfaceUnits
12-22-06, 09:04 PM
Pony car racing. :)

What do Chryco and GM have in the pipeline?Hemi Challenger/Cuda and Camaro coiled snakes,,,,i'm telling ya

nissan gtp
12-22-06, 09:11 PM
I'd like to see it happen.

pchall
12-22-06, 09:57 PM
This could make me feel young again. :)

NismoZ
12-23-06, 11:16 AM
As proposed on my CC "Wish List" from well over a year ago. Glad Ford is listening to my suggestions!:D Remember the "guest driver" component and rig a car for Allesandro, too!:thumbup:

cart7
12-23-06, 12:36 PM
Get the other 2 manufacturers involved and I predict it won't be long before CCWS takes a back seat to this new series. :cool:

NismoZ
12-23-06, 01:01 PM
Hard to imagine US mfgrs. involved in racing with recent losses in the many BILLIONS of $$, accompanying layoffs and plant closings. Cutbacks even in NASCAB. Climate does not look right for a Trans Am revival. Davis says he'd welcome the competition in such a series but with that comes higher cost, I'd imagine. He might get a better ROI in an all Mustang series. Afterall, they'd win every race!:)

oddlycalm
12-23-06, 04:16 PM
Hard to imagine US mfgrs. involved in racing with recent losses in the many BILLIONS of $$, accompanying layoffs and plant closings. Cutbacks even in NASCAB. Climate does not look right for a Trans Am revival. All true, but in tough times you don't cut marketing, you cut fixed cost overhead. If you cut marketing you're committing suicide.

oc

apex
12-23-06, 05:38 PM
All true, but in tough times you don't cut marketing, you cut fixed cost overhead. If you cut marketing you're committing suicide.

oc

In fact, all the more reason to aggressively market!!

NismoZ
12-23-06, 07:39 PM
I remember you saying that before and I agree, but racing is not the only way to market and some may consider racing a very small market and a waste of dwindling resources. Now, if Ford could race and promote the new crossover Edge SUV and turn THAT into Monday sales...;)

extramundane
12-23-06, 10:16 PM
Let Gentilozzi run it and it's sure to be a hit! :gomer: