PDA

View Full Version : Giant squid: 1st one caught live

oddlycalm
12-22-06, 02:06 PM
More today on the giant squid. This is the species that grows up to be 65ft. long. Up until now there have only been a few photographs of them and the rotting remains that occasionally wash up on beaches.
Giant squid video (http://today.reuters.com/tv/videoChannel.aspx?storyid=0e4daf2c9503387b6a614482 bc1d5d8a4ae79972&src=122206_0843_ARTICLE_PROMO_also_on_reuters)

Since my original giant squid post was back on 7G, after a large adult washed up on a beach in Chile, I've seen it as my duty to keep OC member apprised of giant squid activities....:gomer:

oc

Cam
12-22-06, 02:13 PM
MMMMMM..... Calamari! *drool* :D

oddlycalm
12-22-06, 03:11 PM
MMMMMM..... Calamari! *drool* :D Yes sir, resevervation for Cam, table for 1400; several hundred of your party have already arrived, this way please...:gomer:

oc

Napoleon
12-22-06, 04:41 PM
Why it is so hard to find them.

http://www.slate.com/id/2156165/

grungex
12-22-06, 04:46 PM
Of course, they did kill it whilst trying to catch it "live". :(

emjaya
12-22-06, 10:29 PM
Thanks for that, oddly, one cannot know too much about giant squid in my opinion. :D

Gangrel
12-23-06, 01:22 AM
MMMMMM..... Calamari! *drool* :D

You don't want that calamari, Cam....loaded with amonia. The little ones are much more tasty and much less poisonous. ;)

datachicane
12-23-06, 02:39 AM
Calamari the size of tractor tires, redolent with the heady scent of floor cleaner.
:saywhat:

I'll stick with the family recipe moon snail fritters, thank you very much.

cart7
12-23-06, 01:03 PM
Coming soon to selected McDonalds test markets......... McSquid sandwiches.

Cam
12-23-06, 07:12 PM
You don't want that calamari, Cam....loaded with amonia. The little ones are much more tasty and much less poisonous. ;)

I will pass... ;)

oddlycalm
12-24-06, 04:52 PM
Coming soon to selected McDonalds test markets......... McSquid sandwiches. At McDonalds Japan just ask for a #2....:gomer: Care for a green tea-flavoured milkshake with that?

oc

G.
02-22-07, 02:24 PM
Now they're popping up all over the place.

RIP Squidward. Love, SpongeBob. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070222/ap_on_sc/new_zealand_colossal_squid;_ylt=At4Fm.nWPp6vFwOLCJ Ci8mUDW7oF)

By RAY LILLEY, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 1 minute ago

WELLINGTON, New Zealand - A fishing crew has caught a colossal squid that could weigh a half-ton and prove to be the biggest specimen ever landed, a fisheries official said Thursday.

The squid, weighing an estimated 990 lbs and about 39 feet long, took two hours to land in Antarctic waters, New Zealand Fisheries Minister Jim Anderton said.

The fishermen were catching Patagonian toothfish, sold under the name Chilean sea bass, south of New Zealand "and the squid was eating a hooked toothfish when it was hauled from the deep," Anderton said.

The fishing crew and a fisheries official on board their ship estimated the length and weight of the squid: Detailed, official measurements have not been made. The date when the colossus was caught also was not disclosed.

Colossal squid, known by the scientific name Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni, are estimated to grow up to 46 feet long and have long been one of the most mysterious creatures of the deep ocean.

If original estimates are correct, the squid would be 330 pounds heavier than the next biggest specimen ever found.

Giant squids, killed stingrays. Anyone else getting a little freaked out? ;)

KLang
02-22-07, 03:09 PM

Global climate change! That's the culprit! ;)

The link to this story at CNN is 'Tire-sized calamari rings?' . :laugh:

oddlycalm
02-22-07, 03:15 PM
Now they're popping up all over the place. Had to smile this morning when I saw the news. The giant squid saga lives. :thumbup: Who knew that Colossal squid and Giant squid were actually different and distinct species...?

Anyone think it's about time for the Japanese to up the ante and take one live to display in a goofy theme park with an oddly inappropriate name....:gomer:

oc

Gangrel
02-23-07, 02:43 PM
Had to smile this morning when I saw the news. The giant squid saga lives. :thumbup: Who knew that Colossal squid and Giant squid were actually different and distinct species...?

Anyone think it's about time for the Japanese to up the ante and take one live to display in a goofy theme park with an oddly inappropriate name....:gomer:

oc

More than that...Archeteuthus (giant squid) is actually a genus, and I believe there are about 8 species...

Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni (colossal squid) is the only species within its genus.

You'll never see one in captivity. These guys live in 2000-3000 ft of water. Just the act of hauling 'em up does 'em in, even if the squid don't know it yet. Besides, both of these guys are pretty foul-tempered....believe me, you don't want to see one in captivity... :eek:

Gangrel
02-23-07, 02:45 PM

Gangrel
02-23-07, 02:48 PM
Of course, they did kill it whilst trying to catch it "live". :(

Actually, they killed it while trying to catch a Patagonian Toothfish. They were not on a mission to catch a colossal...more like a colossal caught them. :D

Pulling him up from that kind of depth, he never really had a chance to survive. Pressure differential is greater than you probably could imagine. However, we probably will never get to learn much about these guys without hauling in and dissecting a live specimen every now and again. I wouldn't count on ever seeing one live at public aquarium or zoo...for multiple reasons...

Gangrel
02-23-07, 02:52 PM
Now they're popping up all over the place.

RIP Squidward. Love, SpongeBob. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070222/ap_on_sc/new_zealand_colossal_squid;_ylt=At4Fm.nWPp6vFwOLCJ Ci8mUDW7oF)

I'd still happily swim with a stingray anyday...and have on multiple occasions...

As for giant or colossal squid...they can both be pretty foul-tempered, and that could easily ruin your whole day. I'll pass... :D