PDA

View Full Version : Euro '07 Still in the Works

SurfaceUnits
12-21-06, 05:06 PM
Johnson said a pair of European races in September are expected to be added. The event in the Netherlands has been agreed to; officials were meeting with another possible promoter Wednesday, Johnson said.

cameraman
12-21-06, 05:11 PM
Said where?

NismoZ
12-21-06, 05:16 PM
OK, let's review...I've heard Morocco, Malta, Athens, Brno, LeMans, Oschersleben, Estoril, and ?...I'm sure I'm missing a few. Should be fast, safe, natural terrain and within easy reach of Nederlanders.:)

SurfaceUnits
12-21-06, 05:28 PM
Said where?In Indianapolis

List of Tracks to choose from: http://www.silhouet.com/motorsport/tracks/tracks.html

formulaben
12-21-06, 08:59 PM
In Indianapolis

List of Tracks to choose from: http://www.silhouet.com/motorsport/tracks/tracks.html

I still say that if there ever is a Mergification (or even not) the Champ Cars should run the road course at Findy...but Bernie probably has some kind of exclusivity clause.

SurfaceUnits
12-21-06, 09:04 PM
Maybe they can do a trade off with Vegas - USGP West - but then again - indy has lost its luster I don't miss it

pchall
12-21-06, 10:21 PM
I still say that if there ever is a Mergification (or even not) the Champ Cars should run the road course at Findy...but Bernie probably has some kind of exclusivity clause.

That sure is one lousy infield course. Too bad Tony didn't have the guts to disturb the damned golf course when he wanted to do some empire building.

Lux Interior
12-21-06, 11:00 PM
I have six great seats at turn 1 for the f1 race, so I don't care about the infield.

In fact, a longer infield = less laps which = less turn 1 action for me, so I am happy the way it is!

Brno is a great race track and would be really awesome for champcar. It's in the Spa / Road America vein.

whaaat
12-21-06, 11:03 PM
That sure is one lousy infield course. Too bad Tony didn't have the guts to disturb the damned golf course when he wanted to do some empire building.

No guts, no gonads, and no brains.

But he inherited a lot of money.

formulaben
12-21-06, 11:19 PM

Yeah, it could have been SO MUCH better. Oh well...:\

NismoZ
12-21-06, 11:47 PM
Speculating on a 2nd European round and we talk about the infield at IMS??? Yep, Brno would be my choice.:thumbup: Somebody get Tomas Enge a CC ride.:)

NismoZ
12-22-06, 12:50 PM
Interesting latest venue speculation is saying the Bourdais family is trying to convice the Le Mans council to have a CC race on the shorter Bugatti course, 2.75 mi. ( the F-3000 track I'd imagine) and I forgot to mention the A1 Ring and Zolder previously. Zolder looks great but I guess there is a hill that raises concerns about a CC going airborne. Maybe Pagenaud's 2 mil can be put to work at Le Mans?;)

Spicoli
12-22-06, 04:52 PM
Interesting latest venue speculation is saying the Bourdais family is trying to convice the Le Mans council to have a CC race on the shorter Bugatti course, 2.75 mi. ( the F-3000 track I'd imagine) and I forgot to mention the A1 Ring and Zolder previously. Zolder looks great but I guess there is a hill that raises concerns about a CC going airborne. Maybe Pagenaud's 2 mil can be put to work at Le Mans?;)

:)

pchall
12-22-06, 08:10 PM
Brno

http://www.silhouet.com/motorsport/tracks/brnonew.jpg

At age twelve I could put together a better circuit with my box of Aurora HO track.

formulaben
12-22-06, 09:05 PM
I'd be happy with almost any of them (except Le Mans would be cool) as long as there is a good crowd and the race actually happens.

NismoZ
12-22-06, 10:35 PM
The color aerial photos of Brno are far more illustrative than that little line map. Perhaps someone with computer skill can post one? Zolder too? They both look like good choices to me. Zolder, Belgium makes most sense. Close to Heylen's house and allows for an easy Dutch invasion. Assen is just 200 miles away. Easy move for the circus. Verstappen's house is a 30 min. drive as is Muerman's if he cares to attend. Locals Zwolsman & Pastorelli. Wilson, Clark, Legge, Bourdais, Pagenaud, Philippe. Ought to be easily accessable to a lot of fans. ;)

Lux Interior
12-22-06, 11:20 PM
BRNO has lots of great elevation changes and, best of all, no chicanes. Trust me, it's a real ball buster. Champcars would shine there.

cameraman
12-23-06, 12:31 AM
The color aerial photos of Brno are far more illustrative than that little line map.

:D

http://homepage.mac.com/datkinso/.Pictures/brno.jpg

NismoZ
12-23-06, 08:46 AM
Whoa! See,? Trees, even! I'm sure there must be picnic tables and outhouses, too!;) Thanks C'man. True, Zolder has chicanes to slow what would be insanely fast curves...it does have a sad history.

Trevor Longman
12-24-06, 10:19 AM
Where's the grandstands?:confused:

cameraman
12-24-06, 12:45 PM
Europeans don't need no stinking grandstands.:laugh:

Many of the huge natural terrain places have very few grandstands, think Road America.

rager
12-25-06, 01:52 AM
First time to post, possibly last but does anyone know where I can get a copy of the CART precision Racing software?- not the trial version.

DagoFast
12-25-06, 03:19 PM
Brno

At age twelve I could put together a better circuit with my box of Aurora HO track.

Don't tell the MotoGP guys. They put on one of the finest races I've ever seen in my life this year at Brno. ;)

apex
01-03-07, 04:05 PM
Champcar Europe has confirmed the second euro race will be at Zolder today. apparently the same company that is managing Assen is also to manage the zolder race. This is a good thing.

Someone must have come up with the capital to make track revisions for this to have happened! There were issues with safety at Zolder that need to be corrected to race there.

Gnam
01-03-07, 04:18 PM
There were issues with safety at Zolder that need to be corrected to race there.
Like at Watkins Glen?

devilmaster
01-03-07, 04:48 PM
First time to post, possibly last but does anyone know where I can get a copy of the CART precision Racing software?- not the trial version.

Welcome to OC....

As for your request, someone here may be willing to part with their copy. I'd happily part with mine, except I know my copy doesn't work anymore.

I still believe it was the worst CART/Indycar/Champcar sim around, and I used the CD for the longest time as a beer coaster - rendering it useless.

As a suggestion though, grab EA Sports F1 Challenge, there are good CC mods for it - and one of our regular posters was on the mod design team, iirc.

jonovision_man
01-03-07, 04:49 PM
Champcar Europe has confirmed the second euro race will be at Zolder today.

Who/What is "Champcar Europe"?

jono

Spicoli
01-03-07, 04:50 PM
GREAT news. :thumbup:

apex
01-03-07, 05:08 PM
Like at Watkins Glen?

From what I have heard and from video I have seen of the track, some of the guard rails need to be addressed and there is one particular section of the track that has a rise whereby cars might have a tendancy to get air born, so it probably needs to be shaved down a little.

A little racetrack border paint wouldn't hurt either!

apex
01-03-07, 05:12 PM
Who/What is "Champcar Europe"?

jono

http://www.champcar.nl

NismoZ
01-03-07, 05:33 PM
AND that same Dutch promotion group looking to add a 3rd European round in '08...searching for a street venue somewhere. Not sure a "shaving" can solve the Zolder elevation difficulty as I THINK the problem area involves an underpass. Look for another chicane as the most cost effective way to handle that situation. At least two have been added over the years to slow cars on flat-out curves.

apex
01-03-07, 06:04 PM
AND that same Dutch promotion group looking to add a 3rd European round in '08...searching for a street venue somewhere. Not sure a "shaving" can solve the Zolder elevation difficulty as I THINK the problem area involves an underpass. Look for another chicane as the most cost effective way to handle that situation. At least two have been added over the years to slow cars on flat-out curves.

What I find hard to fathom, the F1 cars that raced at zolder in the 70's and early 80's were running a speeds just as fast as what a champcar will run at. This rise didn't seem to be a problem for f1 cars which were/are much lighter, so why is it an issue with the DP01??

nissan gtp
01-03-07, 06:28 PM
What I find hard to fathom, the F1 cars that raced at zolder in the 70's and early 80's were running a speeds just as fast as what a champcar will run at. This rise didn't seem to be a problem for f1 cars which were/are much lighter, so why is it an issue with the DP01??

they didn't care as much back then

NismoZ
01-03-07, 07:09 PM
I think that's pretty much it and cool airborne pics at places like the old Nurburgring were just TOO cool. Zolder never was a safe track, if there really are any, and I have to commend ChampCar if they are able to force any necessary safety changes. (Gilles:( ) Even with the chicanes that place will show the power and speed of a CC quite well I think. Aerials, anyone? Looks pretty nice!

SurfaceUnits
01-03-07, 07:14 PM
Mario and Cosworth won there in '78

Pix: http://www.metrix.be/racephoto/album.php?gallery_id=76&index=0

cameraman
01-03-07, 07:36 PM
That place has some serious chicanes

Look at picture ...F, ...G, ...J:eek:, and ...K at the above link

G.
01-03-07, 07:47 PM
Not enough grandstands.:gomer:

NismoZ
01-03-07, 09:15 PM
I think those are well done chicanes when compared to some of the temporary disasters CC has had to use at places like Houston, Mexico City or even Surfers. In pic 11 I think a chicane could only be put on the outside of the curbing into the runoff area to slow the cars as they accelerate back up to the overpass and then downhill to the next turn. My guess is that's the problem area mentioned. Could be a pretty cheap fix. (oh, and standing start?):)

SurfaceUnits
01-03-07, 11:37 PM
Not enough grandstands.:gomer:Wait for '08, they will have a strret parade or two on the EUro CAlendar

I talked in the past weeks with some representatives of different European large cities, mainly from Great Britain and Germany, in order to organize running in their cities. We prepare the things now together, but I am absolutely optimistic.

NismoZ
01-04-07, 11:41 AM
Yes, I've heard mention of Birmingham, Hamburg and Athens (airport) as possible replacement for a one year Zolder deal. Sounds like a traveling circus idea.

SurfaceUnits
01-04-07, 08:47 PM
Who is saying that Zolder is only a one year deal?

apex
01-04-07, 08:58 PM
Yes, I've heard mention of Birmingham, Hamburg and Athens (airport) as possible replacement for a one year Zolder deal. Sounds like a traveling circus idea.

I find it hard to believe that the Zolder race is for only one year in light of the very costly track revisions that are going to be made. It doesn't make sense to invest the bucks for simply a one off race. I read somewhere a couple of months back that the expense to bring Zolder up to Champcar safety standards is in around 1 million bucks!! In fact, it was the cost of the track safety improvements that caused CCWS to look elsewhere in the first place!

Expanding the series to three races in Europe does make sense to me.

NismoZ
01-05-07, 08:54 AM
Just talk that the Dutch promoters are really into this ($$$) and are looking to expand CC opportunities at European street venues. I might say the same thing and ask "where did you hear three?" because including Assen and Zolder and at least 3 more being talked about there could be more than three. Very early speculation anyway but success breeds success and '07 and '08 will decide who wants in.

apex
01-05-07, 11:53 AM
Just talk that the Dutch promoters are really into this ($$$) and are looking to expand CC opportunities at European street venues. I might say the same thing and ask "where did you hear three?" because including Assen and Zolder and at least 3 more being talked about there could be more than three. Very early speculation anyway but success breeds success and '07 and '08 will decide who wants in.

Someone on another board from holland said that the promoter has stated that Zolder is a one-off deal!!:rolleyes: It defies logic to me but maybe they do want to go other venues!

TU Homer
01-05-07, 12:03 PM
http://www.champcar.nl

That's not a Champcar property, is it? Looks like a website dedicated to ChampCar fans, and not an official website. Unless the Euro promoters own it, and even then it isn't necessarily a CCWS property.

-TU

apex
01-05-07, 12:06 PM
That's not a Champcar property, is it? Looks like a website dedicated to ChampCar fans, and not an official website. Unless the Euro promoters own it, and even then it isn't necessarily a CCWS property.

-TU

As far as I know, that's correct TU.

NismoZ
01-05-07, 12:23 PM
See!? I swear I don't make this stuff up.:D I hope CC can see what works and do slow, certain and well thought expansion. The fact that we have, what, SIX (?) new events this year is kind of scary. What are the chances of all of them clicking? No question CC is thinking more internationally than ever with races in 7 countries but I'd never want to see a majority of races outside of North America. Heck, I wish we could get one to work in Brazil. Who ever thought we'd see more Dutchmen than Brazillionaires!? If more F-1 rejects (owners OR drivers) decide CC is a safe place to land then Europe may well see three or more events. I just hope all the travel expenses don't become a series killer! How's A1GP doing?:rolleyes:

NismoZ
01-05-07, 07:14 PM
No "official" announcement of the race yet but reports say 10,000+ tickets have already been sold for the Sept. 9th Assen race and THREE TV networks are talking to the promoter about broadcast rights. I'd characterize that as GOOD news. Anyone read Dutch? www.ChampCar.nl

SurfaceUnits
01-05-07, 07:35 PM
Here dawg! http://www.ptalkforum.com/showthread.php?t=7498

Krutch
01-06-07, 06:44 AM

-TU

Hi,

As I happen to 'work' for that site I can shed some light on that. ChampCar.nl (http://www.champcar.nl) is a news site started by a few Dutch Champ Car fans in order to contribute to the awareness of Champ Car in the Netherlands. We wrote and maintain the site all by ourselves.

This doesn't mean we don't have our contacts and that's why we were able to break this story. As you can see on Raceworld.tv (http://www.raceworld.tv/content/tpl_home.asp?pid=50&cid=6) (somehow involved with Champ Car Europe BV, the promotor of both races) they did add a few promo vids.

As for why no official announcement yet: that's coming up. There should be even more good news then!

No "official" announcement of the race yet but reports say 10,000+ tickets have already been sold for the Sept. 9th Assen race and THREE TV networks are talking to the promoter about broadcast rights. I'd characterize that as GOOD news. Anyone read Dutch? www.ChampCar.nl

I have to correct you, there are four tv networks interested. And that's exactly the number of nation-wide TV networks we have here! You can see how Champ Car is starting to live here.

A big contributing factor with the tickets so far is Jos Verstappen. He said he is going to race at Assen and he'd pay back the tickets fans bought if he wouldn't find a seat. And Jos Verstappen alone was good enough to sell 70.000 tickets for A1GP race day @ Zandvoort, even though he didn't drive there in the end.

I suggest you keep checking ChampCar.nl (http://www.champcar.nl), you might not be able to read it now but just wait and see what's coming up ;)

- Wouter

NismoZ
01-06-07, 08:53 AM
Yeah, the Dutch CC connection over at P'Talk was great, those guys were fun. Keep it up. Maybe I'll be back!!:eek:

jonovision_man
01-06-07, 09:46 AM
I suggest you keep checking ChampCar.nl (http://www.champcar.nl), you might not be able to read it now but just wait and see what's coming up ;)

- Wouter

Thanks for dropping by! :)

Question - do you plan on adding any english-language news to your site? I assume there are more and more english speaking ChampCar fans with the Brits in the series, ie. Dan Clarke, Legge. And many are obviously familiar with the likes of Jos.

Babelfish translations are great and all... but... :)

All the best,
jono

apex
01-06-07, 10:58 AM
Hi,

As I happen to 'work' for that site I can shed some light on that. ChampCar.nl (http://www.champcar.nl) is a news site started by a few Dutch Champ Car fans in order to contribute to the awareness of Champ Car in the Netherlands. We wrote and maintain the site all by ourselves.

This doesn't mean we don't have our contacts and that's why we were able to break this story. As you can see on Raceworld.tv (http://www.raceworld.tv/content/tpl_home.asp?pid=50&cid=6) (somehow involved with Champ Car Europe BV, the promotor of both races) they did add a few promo vids.

As for why no official announcement yet: that's coming up. There should be even more good news then!

I have to correct you, there are four tv networks interested. And that's exactly the number of nation-wide TV networks we have here! You can see how Champ Car is starting to live here.

A big contributing factor with the tickets so far is Jos Verstappen. He said he is going to race at Assen and he'd pay back the tickets fans bought if he wouldn't find a seat. And Jos Verstappen alone was good enough to sell 70.000 tickets for A1GP race day @ Zandvoort, even though he didn't drive there in the end.

- Wouter

Krutch...thanks for the information, it's good to see that Champcar is getting some exposure on the other side of the pond!

That was my next question, will there be an english version of champcar.nl? I go there every day but have to google translate it and the translator is pitiful!!!:rolleyes:

apex
01-06-07, 11:01 AM
You beat me to it Jono;) :laugh: o!!

Tim
01-06-07, 11:02 PM
Wit hall the road courses please keep CC off the streets of europe.

SurfaceUnits
01-07-07, 01:32 AM
Apparently the cities are asking for them. If they have the moola, take it.

pchall
01-07-07, 11:31 AM

Odd thing that... cities want races on their streets more than circuit owners want races on their tracks... go figure...

apex
01-07-07, 12:20 PM

hmmmm...the three day festivals of speed are more akin to urban environments than remotely located permanent race tracks! I think for this reason there is a good likelihood that KK and Johnson covet temporary Euro city sites also.

Krutch
01-07-07, 12:33 PM
Krutch...thanks for the information, it's good to see that Champcar is getting some exposure on the other side of the pond!

That was my next question, will there be an english version of champcar.nl? I go there every day but have to google translate it and the translator is pitiful!!!:rolleyes:

There are certainly ideas in that direction...

On the Euro street races: well, with other series a move to new street tracks in Europe have been rumoured in the past and those never happened. There is interest, but we'll just have to wait and see whether it's going to happen.

SurfaceUnits
01-07-07, 02:24 PM
Odd thing that... cities want races on their streets more than circuit owners want races on their tracks... go figure...Nurburgring and Hockenheim were both in the red last season. Director of Nurburg said he was in the black, the F1 race put him $22 million in the hole.

NismoZ
01-07-07, 03:23 PM
I seem to recall a Sou Cal street venue that was put in the hole by F-1 and they had to change to a less expensive alternative. Still doing well, I hear. ;)

jonovision_man
01-07-07, 03:43 PM
Odd thing that... cities want races on their streets more than circuit owners want races on their tracks... go figure...

City governments are willing to contribute money with no expectation of financial return to generate economic activity and exposure for their city.

Track owners just want to have a profitable race.

jono

NismoZ
01-08-07, 02:41 PM
Yep, it's called INVESTMENT! Most in my burg call the incentives to development around here "giveaways to the rich." They want instant return and can't think beyond the end of the month! How does long Beach look compared to 1977? Sounds like Athens has a little spitfire of a promoter who really wants to promote!

NismoZ
01-12-07, 02:22 PM
Looks like it's a done deal, Zolder to be announced soon (Tues.?) and the safety changes appear to include "tightened chicanes" to slow the cars down. Check www.Racingworld.be (Aanpassingswerkin aan de chicane...zijn ChampCar bolides!:) )

Krutch
01-12-07, 02:55 PM
yes they're working on it.

the official announcement is next tuesday.

apex
01-12-07, 03:15 PM
Krutch, do you know if www.champcar.nl has plans for a english version in the future?

Krutch
01-12-07, 05:10 PM
I know, but can't say too much about that yet. We'll need a new name then and the right people... If we get everything together I'll let you know.

NismoZ
01-12-07, 06:01 PM
I'm wondering if the safety "fix" is more than just painted lines and cones? That would seem to answer some questions about "all the money" the track has to spend to make it CC friendly. Interesting we should see this so soon after talking about some "CC chicanes" elsewhere. C'man said they really looked tight at Zolder...welll, they're gonna be a lot tighter now!

SurfaceUnits
01-13-07, 12:29 AM
Assen is constipated:

They are getting a provisional permit due to the Assen organisers changing the original permit from World Superbikes to CC (bikes are not cars and legal folk trip over that stuff). A permanent permit is still up for rejection by the locals, but will almost definitely go ahead but delayed to 2008 - hence the provisional.
Media frenzy made a mountain out of a molehill.

Tony George
01-15-07, 07:43 PM
Gomer paper says it's a done deal. :tony:
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070115/SPORTS01/701150423/1004/SPORTS

apex
01-15-07, 07:56 PM
Gomer paper says it's a done deal. :tony:
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070115/SPORTS01/701150423/1004/SPORTS

That article and the timing seems too funny. Does anyone else get the sense that the indystar is attempting to steal Champcar officials thunder by stating the euro races are on and giving the exact dates and details the day before it is official??

And the last line where they make a point of stating that the IRL also will have 17 races just like CC!!! I thought this press release was about Champcar?

Someone tell me the release of this info by The Indystar wasn't all about politics! Gomers to the core.:rofl: :laugh:

SurfaceUnits
01-15-07, 08:01 PM
don't worry, indianapolis is irrelevant and the spindystar even more so

SurfaceUnits
01-16-07, 03:50 AM
Champ Car to venture into Europe for two races in 2007
Updated 1/16/2007 2:22 AM ET
By A.J. Perez, USA TODAY

The Champ Car World Series filled in what had been a two-month-long gap in its 2007 schedule with its first European races in four years, the sanctioning body will announce Tuesday morning.

The additions of the Netherlands (Sept. 2) and Belgium (Sept. 9) — the first time Champ Car has raced in either country — pushes the number of races on the schedule to 17.

"We considered a number of options for our return to Europe, and these two events will prove to be very successful for our teams, fans and sponsor partners," Champ Car President Steve Johnson said in a statement.

The Dutch race will be held on a 2.8-mile road course in Assen, a half-century-old circuit that has been home to MotoGP races for years. The renovated former Formula One track in Zolder, Belgium, will test drivers on a 2.47-mile course.

Champ Car's season gets underway April 8 with the inaugural Vegas Grand Prix.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/champ/2007-01-15-schedule_x.htm

Krutch
01-16-07, 11:42 AM
And on champcar.ws:

The Champ Car World Series today announced that it will return to Europe for the first time since 2003 with inaugural races in Holland and Belgium. Events added to the Champ Car World Series calendar will take place September 2 at the TT Circuit in Assen, Holland and September 9 at the Zolder circuit in Belgium. It will be the first time that Champ Car has raced in either of the two European nations.

"2007 continues to shape up as one of the most exciting in recent memory for Champ Car and today's announcement raises the anticipation level even higher," said Champ Car President Steve Johnson. "We considered a number of options for our return to Europe and these two events will prove to be very successful for our teams, fans and sponsor partners."

The Assen circuit, long fabled for hosting exciting Grand Prix motorcycle events, underwent major modifications for the 2006 season, resulting in a 4.5-kilometer track that will provide a stern challenge for the Champ Cars.

Zolder is a 3.977-kilometer circuit which also underwent safety renovations for the 2006 season, after hosting Formula 1 events in the 1970s and 80s. The track will carry the process a step farther for the 2007 Champ Car visit, making further improvement to ensure a safe and challenging event.

"We are excited to bring the American equivalent of Formula 1 racing to Europe," said event promoter Bart Rietbergen. "Champ Car provides close racing that is easy for European fans to understand, and they will be very impressed with the access that they will have in the Champ Car paddock."

The addition of the two European events brings the number of races on the 2007 Champ Car schedule to 17, marking the most races on a Champ Car calendar since 2003. The last time that the series went to Europe served as the coming-out party for three-time Champ Car champion Sebastien Bourdais, who took his first series victories by sweeping races in Brands Hatch and EuroSpeedway Lausitz.

On the first day of the Dutch event at Assen, Champ Car fans will be able to see the action up-close, as they will have access to all public areas including the paddock. On Saturday and Sunday there are several different grandstand tickets available as well as a 'general access' ticket. In addition to these, paddock entry tickets will also be on sale. Special VIP passes will be available for one or more days with guests enjoying full catering, a private terrace and grandstand, VIP parking and more

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=11193

SurfaceUnits
01-17-07, 04:35 AM
Press Conference hi-lites:

STEVE JOHNSON:
We are not self‑promoting these races. And with Bart Rietbergen who is a proven business professional in that area, he understands that market, he really understands the television aspect which comes into play as well.

It's not that we are just going into that area for two races and leaving. Bart's got the television rights for the entire year for Champ Car to promote Champ Car throughout the year. He's got sponsors that are coming on board. So we feel we have chosen the right partner to lead us into Europe, and we think that's going to be the difference.

BART RIETBERGEN:
We are talking total different countries. In Belgium we attract quite a bit of people from the French‑speaking part of Belgium as well as France itself. It's also right on the border of Germany, and if you look at them geographically, you notice that there are 250 million living within 200K from both events so the spectator base is quite big. I just hope they don't show up all of them. (Laughter). In fact, people that buy one ticket are immediately seeing the other race as well, and there is a discount if they go for both events.

STEVE JOHNSON:
We are not going to go probably more than 50/50 North America and other international venues.

So I think we have a very nice mix right now. We look at what our total schedule could be. I don't see us going more really than 20 events. As you know it takes a lot of time when you start traveling international.

So we've got room for some more additions and we are always looking at key emerging markets, markets that are important not only to Champ Car but to our sponsors and to our teams. And we take that into consideration as well.

So again, we want to be in the emerging markets and continue down the path as being a true international, world‑class series.

STEVE JOHNSON:
I would have to say we've turned the corner. If you take a look, and you've been to a lot of our events, our attendance was up in many of our events. One of the key things we did for 2007 was really focused on television and with the announcement of going to ESPN and ABC for multiple years, I think that is a major step that needed to happen for the series.

If you take a look at the events we added, we are introducing six new venues this year. We are going to Vegas and we are going to Phoenix and China and Belgium and Holland and all world‑class type facilities, and we got some sponsor announcements coming. The teams are sorting it out themselves right now.

I would say we have definitely turned the corner. I still think we are a couple of years away from where we want to be but we are making very good progress and we are focused on our business model and we are not losing our focus. I feel very good about where we are right now?

But I would say what hits home the most really is two things. The addition of Las Vegas, racing through the streets of downtown Vegas to kick off our season. If you asked Formula 1 if they would like to be here, the answer would be yes. If you asked any series if they would like to run through the streets of Vegas, the answer would be yes. And you know what; Champ Car was the one that was able to pull it off. Between that and the television, those are two major, major announcements, and what a way to kick off our season.

Q. Do these races have a name, i.e., will they have a sponsor or is that a future announcement?

BART RIETBERGEN:
Yes, this will be a future announcement and we expect to that mid‑February where the main sponsor of the two events will be announced. And the same sponsor I can tell you, you will probably also see a car in the same course for the full year.

Q. Is it a single‑year or multi‑year?

BART RIETBERGEN:
First of all, it's a multi‑year deal. And the support races I can tell you one of them will be Formula 3, the European Championship. Another one will be because we think this is an American series, so we have to give it an American flavor, will be All‑American GTs, which is Mustangs and Galaxies and we'll have a field of 45 of those. Another series will be classic Formula 1, classic being just until 2001, and we'll have fields of about 20 cars there with six Ferrari. So all we need to do now is get one of those famous Ferrari drivers to join us.

And we have about 20 race series that want to participate in the event, so we are going to be very selective on the last two.

Q. Did Champ Car come first and everything else follow or was Champ Car added to an existing event?

BART RIETBERGEN:
No, no. Champ Car came first and everyone said, hey, we want to join in and be part of the party.

STEVE JOHNSON: And it is multiple years.

Q. Can you tell how many?

STEVE JOHNSON: Multiple.

TONY COTMAN:
Many events in Europe are used for open‑wheel, GTs, and motorcycles. Therefore, the biggest thing we really have to contend with is the curves. The curves ‑‑ motorcycles like very low, flat curves. We don't because you know what our guys do, they go right over them. We are going to deal with the curves in Assen and replace them with a few tight areas and we are good to go there.

Zolder, on the other hand, has some significant upgrades/improvements that they are going to do before we get there. And like I said before, the facility will be in great shape by the time the Champ Car teams get there and it will be very challenging and looking forward to it. Basically, the same issues, we have to deal with curves

Johnson stated that Champ Car's deal with Assen and Zolder was a multi-year agreement but that he would "rather not go into the details of the length of the deals."

However, he did add that the length of the agreements would not preclude the possibility of other European tracks joining the Champ Car calendar, including the long-rumoured Greek event held at an old airport in Athens, and possibly an event in France too.

"But thanks to the huge influx of European drivers and European sponsors, there is the chance for more races in Europe as soon as 2008. We want to do what's best by our series, our fans and our sponsors."