PDA

View Full Version : Question about the DP01

cameraman
12-21-06, 02:55 PM
What kind of "owners manual" are they including with the car? Are they sending all the information from the testing, a little, none? Or do they get a set of spec sheets and a hearty good luck?

pchall
12-21-06, 03:42 PM
What kind of "owners manual" are they including with the car? Are they sending all the information from the testing, a little, none? Or do they get a set of spec sheets and a hearty good luck?

If they don't distribute all the data from Sebring then every owner will be chasing down Roberto Moreno to fill a second or third seat...

SurfaceUnits
12-21-06, 04:29 PM
Test and development report http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=11176

G.
12-21-06, 04:50 PM
Test and development report http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=11176Note: You should only read this if you are a geek.

You know, a space shuttle loving kinda geek.

cameraman
12-21-06, 05:10 PM
Test and development report http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=11176

I read that but it does not address what information gets distributed to the teams.

The "instruction manual" would be a very interesting read. Or should I say skim, the torque level for every nut & bolt is probably a rather dry read.

NismoZ
12-21-06, 05:35 PM
I believe ALL information MUST be shared at all 3 pre-season open tests. When I 1st read that I remember thinking "good luck" but leading up to the first race CC is attempting to make everything as equal as possible. Even when things "open up" in '08 it won't open very far. My guess is we won't see as many expensive technical advantages exploited by wealthier teams as in the past. The N/H damper program showed results that are now available to all if they can afford it but I'm not certain we'll see a single team doing something on that scale again.

scorpion
12-21-06, 10:05 PM
Just a guess, but mine would be that all they get is an assembly and setups manual. How to take it apart, how to put it together and what the diagnostics should look like. The rest is up to the teams to learn based on what suits their programs.

Hameroids
12-21-06, 11:52 PM
My guess is we won't see as many expensive technical advantages exploited by wealthier teams as in the past.

Spending at the front of the grid will increase; It's only where it's spent that changes.

NismoZ
12-22-06, 01:08 AM
Aero is VERY expensive, but easier to regulate because it's fairly visible. Engines are next, but they're mandated equal. Tires are huge, but they all get the same ones. Drivers are very important in CC and the "front of the grid" will still hire the best by offering them the most money. Now THAT'S why driver's risk it all and I think that's the way it should be anyway! From Mario Andretti in '83 to Sebastian Bourdais in '03 N/H, for example, has gone after the best they can buy. The real danger in a closely regulated spec series is the front of the grid becoming frustrated and going elsewhere when they aren't "allowed" to send lavishly on develoment. Unless you are prepared to impose a strict spending cap, including drivers, then certainly the front of the grid will spend more. When you spend more and DON'T get to the front you just quit. Ask Jaguar/Ford. Done correctly CC can continue to provide a series that is a true driver's championship. I only wish it could include a few different ovals to make it an even greater honor to win it's title.