PDA

View Full Version : Cars in the sports performance over $50,000 category

SurfaceUnits
12-19-06, 02:43 PM
The art of performance

Cars combine power and road handling. From refined BMW to the raspy Mustang Shelby, sports models have a little of everything

DEREK MCNAUGHTON, CanWest News Service
Published: Tuesday, December 19, 2006
http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&ct=us/5-0&fp=4588ce0adad68849&ei=wCuIRZjNM4jyoQLu0fG4DA&url=http%3A//www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/driving/story.html%3Fid%3Dce8ff07b-7040-446f-9c70-64f22dc5356f&cid=0

The Automobile Journalists Association of Canada holds an annual comparison test every October to determine Car and Truck of the Year honours for a variety of vehicles. Over the next few weeks, we'll offer some of the journalists' views on cars and trucks in different categories. Today, Derek McNaughton takes a look at the contenders for sports performance cars over $50,000.

- - -

Here, in alphabetical order, are snapshots of the cars in the sports performance over $50,000 category in the 2007 Canadian Car of the Year Awards.

Audi RS4

The Audi A4 comes in three flavours - regular, spicy and suicide. The base A4 gets hot with the S4 and goes to a whole new level with the RS4. This car has all the winning attributes to be the best performance car - a 420 horsepower, 4.2-litre V8 engine, an elegant design, brilliant interior and monstrous brakes. The Audi performed wonderfully on the track, but didn't feel substantially more nimble or feverishly quicker around the cones and corners than the BMWs - something we had expected with a window sticker of $99,990 and several performance statistics that, on paper, rivaled the others in the group. Throttle response was unquestionably the best of the bunch, but the steering and braking felt no better than the BMWs. The Audi's interior sets a new standard and the build quality is second to none.

Audi S6

The S6, a performance-tuned version of the A6 sedan, comes with a 5.2-litre V10 engine growling with 435 horses and a tighter suspension over the standard car. But the base version really can't be called a standard car, offering some of the best steering in the world, an intelligent interior and enough luxury to satisfy any CEO. In this group, the S6 lacked the performance edge on the track, but made up for it in comfort and quiet on the street. The six-speed automatic with sport mode is seemingly able to read the driver's mind, holding off on shifts until the right moment, and the ride gives a new clarity to driving.

BMW 335i Coupe

The new, twin-turbo BMW is not the fastest of the bunch, but offered immense pleasure to drive, either fast on the track or slow on the street. Once again, BMW is able to incorporate the sum of many parts into a satisfying whole. Satisfaction begins with form-fitting seats, a perfect driving position, an uncluttered interior, clear instruments and, aside from the tail-lamps, a gorgeous exterior design. It builds with the firing of the engine, a twin turbo inline six cylinder that generates 300 horsepower and propels the car to 100 km/h in just over five seconds. It levels out with precise steering, a compliant yet communicative ride, and brakes that feel like they were retrofitted from a Ferrari. All the components work together in perfect harmony, making the car look, feel, sound and drive just like a performance car should.

BMW M Coupe

Here is a car that rises to the top of the performance charts with its 330 horsepower, straight-six engine, light chassis, handsome design and Champ car-inspired handling.
For driving obscenely fast and track use, this is the car to choose and could easily win the category since it delivers such astonishing acceleration, precise cornering and braking every time out. Sure, the M Coupe could be driven daily, but this car seems to lack the patience to be driven slowly, continually seducing the driver to go faster and delivering the capability to do so. While the M Coupe does have more of a defined purpose, it provides such an addictive and thrilling ride, it has a good shot at the title.

Ford Mustang Shelby

GT 500

The whine of the supercharger breathing air into the 500-horsepower V8 under the scooped-hood of this special-edition Mustang almost matches the sweetness of the rasp exiting the exhaust pipes.

Of all the cars in this group, the Mustang exudes the most muscle, though it's also the least refined. The interior is markedly less impressive than the others and build quality comes under the bar set by the other cars in the category.

However, for raw performance, the GT 500 is unmatched. And the driver must be careful not to apply too much power when exiting corners on the track or the tires will break loose. Overall, cornering requires substantial skill and finesse. While the car comes equipped with massive Brembo brakes, they felt less responsive than the BMW's and Audi's.

Lexus GS 450h

The presence of a hybrid in the performance category shows how far Toyota, the parent company of Lexus, has come in the development of hybrid technology.

The GS 450h is an impressive package, delivering 339 horsepower and the best average fuel consumption of the group at 8.3 litres per 100 kilometres.

Power is generated through the engine, which shuts off when idling, as well as its unique electric motor that captures energy when braking.

The Lexus adapts the L-Finesse styling characteristic used on many of its cars and offers one of the quietest, most comfortable rides in this class. That, of course, costs the luxurious sedan points when it comes to crisp handling and track performance, but that's something beyond its intended use.

My pick

What a difficult choice. The spread between the top three favourite cars is fractional, and picking one doesn't seem fair.

But forced to make a recommendation, I choose the BMW 335i Coupe as the best overall value. At just over $51,000, the BMW is half the price of the Audi RS4 and delivers a level of performance that's only marginally less impressive. It wins over the M Coupe because it offers more room and versatility, a genuine performance car with more than one use. Besides, it's drop-dead gorgeous, goes like crazy, and drives exceedingly well, on the track and the street.

- - -

Test Fest

Next Week: In the next part of the series, John LeBlanc looks at the best new sports and performance cars over $60,000.
© The Gazette (Montreal) 2006

Sean O'Gorman
12-19-06, 04:53 PM
They forgot the legendary '93 MR2 :gomer:

SurfaceUnits
12-19-06, 05:00 PM
I wish someone hadn't put sog in my ignore list, he probably had something really important to add to the thread. My loss I guess.

RacinM3
12-20-06, 03:28 AM
The S4 is a joke at a price of $100,000.

FCYTravis
12-20-06, 03:43 AM
My mom just got her 2007 M Coupe. Verdict? Next to no luggage space, the glovebox barely fits the owners manual and we've just about torn off the airdam just getting it in our driveway.

But who cares? We've got 330 horsepower under the hood, six on the floor and DSC to keep our amateur asses from spinning into the weeds. Hit it. :thumbup: :cool:

Rogue Leader
12-20-06, 11:41 AM

At that price you could pick up a Aston Martin V8 Vantage for only 10 grand more! They are gonna sell precisely 0 of those RS4s.....

KLang
12-20-06, 12:07 PM
I choose the BMW 335i Coupe as the best overall value. At just over $51,000,

They must have had that car made with every available option. The one I was looking at was around 47K with the sport and premium packages plus auto. I doubt they make many that go for over 50K.

That 335 engine sure is sweet. :)

nrc
12-20-06, 12:40 PM
The art of performance

Cars combine power and road handling. From refined BMW to the raspy Mustang Shelby, sports models have a little of everything

DEREK MCNAUGHTON, CanWest News Service
Published: Tuesday, December 19, 2006
http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&ct=us/5-0&fp=4588ce0adad68849&ei=wCuIRZjNM4jyoQLu0fG4DA&url=http%3A//www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/driving/story.html%3Fid%3Dce8ff07b-7040-446f-9c70-64f22dc5356f&cid=0

The Automobile Journalists Association of Canada holds an annual comparison test every October to determine Car and Truck of the Year honours for a variety of vehicles. Over the next few weeks, we'll offer some of the journalists' views on cars and trucks in different categories. Today, Derek McNaughton takes a look at the contenders for sports performance cars over $50,000.

This probably would have been enough quoting.

© The Gazette (Montreal) 2006
When you get to this part you know you've pasted too much.

Ankf00
12-20-06, 12:46 PM
They must have had that car made with every available option. The one I was looking at was around 47K with the sport and premium packages plus auto. I doubt they make many that go for over 50K.

That 335 engine sure is sweet. :)

ya, 50K is a strech, all you really need is the sport & premium package, I suppose auto & navigation add an extra 5K or more, but neither of those are performance add-ons

chop456
12-20-06, 02:09 PM
They are gonna sell precisely 0 of those RS4s.....

They'll sell as many as they can build.

ChampcarShark
12-20-06, 02:58 PM
I like the BMW. any flavor will do.

oddlycalm
12-20-06, 04:37 PM
The S4 is a joke at a price of $100,000. Maybe in Canadian dollars...? The US price is around $68k if I recall. Still an overpriced and fugly car, but not quite as absurd.

I'd have to agree with their pick though. The 335 is a really nice car and at around $47k (US) is a more friendly deal. With the current lease incentives it's even more attractive to low mileage drivers.

Of course there's there always the option of having a 572cu in 620hp pump gas crate motor installed in an old beater...

oc

cameraman
12-20-06, 05:36 PM

The RS4 lists at 66K and with all generally available options is 71K.

The S8 starts around 92K and you could probably spend 100K if you felt so inclined. If you include taxes you would have to...

RacinM3
12-21-06, 03:50 AM
LOL....didn't realize it was Canadian dollars! :laugh:

Better deal at $70k. Still a lot, but right around the M3 target area, especially with the new E92 M3 on the way....I'm sure that's going to ring in around $70k with options, etc.

Dirty Sanchez
01-04-07, 01:41 PM
reading more reports of bone stock 335s going into limp mode after the lightest of track duty. some before even hitting the track after just some "spirited" driving...

:thumdown:

chop456
01-04-07, 02:11 PM
The Ultimate Limping Machine(TM) :tony:

oddlycalm
01-04-07, 05:08 PM
reading more reports of bone stock 335s going into limp mode after the lightest of track duty. some before even hitting the track after just some "spirited" driving...

:thumdown: Haven't seen any mentions of powertrain failures yet on the forums I visit, but it wouldn't surprise me. That said, even if a person doesn't experience any power train issues the suspension and brakes aren't track ready out of the box. I replaced both (as well as a number of other items) on my E46 M3 before it left the dealers garage.

One justification for the price of the RS-4 being considerably higher is that it comes stock with serious brakes and suspension. I still think the price is silly, but it does come with the necessary bits for track use.

oc

Stu
01-04-07, 07:07 PM
They forgot the legendary '93 MR2 :gomer:

Over 50,000 dollars, not over 50,000 cones hit.

Rogue Leader
01-04-07, 07:29 PM
Ohh didnt realize it was canadian dollars... not so bad then!

KLang
01-05-07, 07:54 AM
Haven't seen any mentions of powertrain failures yet on the forums I visit, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I haven't seen any of these reports either. Funny that this stuff is only being reported on Audi forums. Just in case though I did go with a 328.

mapguy
01-05-07, 08:18 AM
Over 50,000 dollars, not over 50,000 cones hit.

http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/large/pwned-48495.jpg

Sean O'Gorman
01-05-07, 09:54 AM
Yeah, I'm real concerned about an insult from a guy whose excuse for not autocrossing was that he needs to lose weight first. :laugh:

Dirty Sanchez
01-05-07, 12:35 PM
I haven't seen any of these reports either. Funny that this stuff is only being reported on Audi forums. Just in case though I did go with a 328.it's not only being reported at audi forums. but I believe it was at first. in any case, I know the guy who observed this personally and he has no axe to grind. he's a driving instructor and just reported what he saw.

the latest report was from Miller out in Utah. there are no doubt others. I understand that BMW has verified this with their own engineers and are working on the problem.

also, no one mentioned anything about drivetrain "failure"... just cars overheating and going into limp mode. BMW's have had overheating problems for close to 30 years.

but believe what you want :o

Ankf00
01-05-07, 12:48 PM
http://www2.hornfans.com/wwwthreads/images/icons/catfight.gif

:D

Stu
01-05-07, 06:00 PM
Yeah, I'm real concerned about an insult from a guy whose excuse for not autocrossing was that he needs to lose weight first. :laugh:

some day you'll realize people just tell you stuff to get you to shut up. ;)

cameraman
01-05-07, 06:05 PM
the latest report was from Miller out in Utah.
Quite a few cars have overheating problems when the temp is 108°F in the shade.

Dirty Sanchez
01-05-07, 06:44 PM
Quite a few cars have overheating problems when the temp is 108°F in the shade.in nov/dec? doubtful.

even so, only cars on that day that had overheating problems were the 335s... and after only light use ;)

Dirty Sanchez
03-20-07, 11:53 PM
I haven't seen any of these reports either. Funny that this stuff is only being reported on Audi forums. Just in case though I did go with a 328.link (http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=120061?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..2 .*) :cry: