PDA

View Full Version : What a storm!

Wabbit
12-18-06, 01:18 PM
Winds 60+ MPH.

Our power was out for 24 hours, the street behind us was out over 72 hours. Worst of all, no internet or cable TV for 3 DAYS!

Trying to work out the withdrawal pains now.

ferrarigod
12-18-06, 01:25 PM
I could go without the tv, but when the interweb goes out, things get mighty scary. thank god I have my new blackjack pda incase anything goes wrong:D

Spicoli
12-18-06, 02:27 PM
Winds 60+ MPH.

Our power was out for 24 hours, the street behind us was out over 72 hours. Worst of all, no internet or cable TV for 3 DAYS!

Trying to work out the withdrawal pains now.

Well, there's always that sliding down the mountain stuff.:p

oddlycalm
12-18-06, 03:43 PM
Yeah, serious blow down here on top of our exposed ridge as well. No outages though. :thumbup: Winds over 100mph down at the beach, so surfs up.

My neighbor did me a solid by taking down one of his trees early in the week. We had noticed it moving around a lot and it turns out that the hydraulic pressure from the ground water tore off the root ball on this 20" diameter fir during the big rain last week. That tree would have been in my kitchen had he not gotten on it and taken it down.

Spikly, on that downhill sliding thing, there's 83" of base and all lifts running at Timberline Lodge. A person can watch the rescue helicopters searching for the lost climbers on the lift ride up...

oc

Ankf00
12-18-06, 03:56 PM
it turns out that the hydraulic pressure from the ground water tore off the root ball on this 20" diameter fir during the big rain last week. oc

:confused:

Spicoli
12-18-06, 04:49 PM
Yeah, serious blow down here on top of our exposed ridge as well. No outages though. :thumbup: Winds over 100mph down at the beach, so surfs up.

My neighbor did me a solid by taking down one of his trees early in the week. We had noticed it moving around a lot and it turns out that the hydraulic pressure from the ground water tore off the root ball on this 20" diameter fir during the big rain last week. That tree would have been in my kitchen had he not gotten on it and taken it down.

Spikly, on that downhill sliding thing, there's 83" of base and all lifts running at Timberline Lodge. A person can watch the rescue helicopters searching for the lost climbers on the lift ride up...

oc

Yep. Was following that all week. last i saw was one confirmed lost, and 2 still missing.

mothernature can be a real mother****er.

i ski in bounds now, mostly greens. with Ank. :p

datachicane
12-18-06, 05:03 PM
We lost power for around 24 hours as well- there's a couple of blocks in the neighborhood that are still dark. Some big trees down on a couple of houses around the corner, but pretty light damage considering (one toasted SUV, a few gutters, a few square yards of comp shingles).

I didn't worry too much until I stopped by the house from work late Fri. morning and saw six inches of water in my 80% complete fresh basement remodel :eek: - thankfully the flooring wasn't down yet. I guess the sump pump works better with juice- anyway, I had fun tracking down a functioning generator with 280,000 fellow PGE customers off the grid. I pulled the 1k watt Yamaha out of my dad's sailboat, but could only get it to run for 2-3 minutes at a whack, spewing gasoline in all directions the whole time- probably time for a carb rebuild, having sat for 10-12 years since the last time it was run. Even at that, I'd been able to run it long enough to get all :eek: of the standing water pumped out by the time my brother-in-law showed up with a new-in-the-box generator he'd bought in a fit of y2k paranoia. Made for a long day.

oddlycalm
12-18-06, 05:22 PM
:confused: We live on a high ridge with bedrock only 10-20ft. down. The ground water flowing down hill off the ridge will make a gopher hole look like a fire hose, or in this case make off with a large trees root ball. When they went to grind out the stump there was basically nothing there.:eek:

oc

Ankf00
12-18-06, 05:29 PM
nature's water jet cutter. nice. I wonder how the gopher feels...