PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Leads Daytona Tests

SurfaceUnits
12-16-06, 12:20 PM
USAC open-wheel driver Josh Wise had the honor of being the first driver to tour Daytona International Speedway in a Toyota Camry stock car and ended up the fastest of the day on Friday, the beginning of a three-day ARCA RE/MAX Series open test.
Wise is testing a No. 22 car with Eddie Sharp Racing, which has an alliance with Michael Waltrip Racing, posted the fastest lap of the day with a speed of 180.905 mph.
The Riverside, Calif., driver will compete in a Toyota Camry in the Feb. 10 ARCA 200 at Daytona.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/oval/34468/

NismoZ
12-16-06, 01:23 PM
I'll wager they don't get the same breaks Dodge got when their participation was desired. (NASCAB, of course)

manic mechanic
12-23-06, 01:21 AM
I'll wager they don't get the same breaks Dodge got when their participation was desired. (NASCAB, of course)

..At least Dodge has a production engine that the race engine is based upon.
Toyota BOUGHT their way in and were allowed to design a starting point that is in many ways superior to the offerings of the big 3.

Who'da thunk the France family could end up yen whores...I thought that distinction was reserved for TG!!!:eek:

manic

cart7
12-23-06, 12:52 PM
Testing Day 2 starts with the arrival of a truck laden with bricks and the Toyota cars summarily penalized to make things appear equal. :tony:

Hameroids
12-23-06, 02:01 PM

I'll wager they won't need it.

oddlycalm
12-23-06, 04:44 PM
Who'da thunk the France family could end up yen whores... I think their fan base is left wondering the same thing manic. From what I've been hearing a lot of hard core fans are planning to walk away and not look back. If the Toyotas do well it will simply increase that pressure.

oc

nissan gtp
12-23-06, 04:52 PM
I think their fan base is left wondering the same thing manic. From what I've been hearing a lot of hard core fans are planning to walk away and not look back. If the Toyotas do well it will simply increase that pressure.

oc

they'll do well. question is, how soon ?

I would LMAO if they won Daytona :rofl:

SurfaceUnits
12-23-06, 06:53 PM
Toyota's first stock car test at Daytona International Speedway proved successful.

Josh Wise and the No. 22 Eddie Sharp Racing Toyota Camry were the fastest of the entire three-day test with a lap of 181.925 mph turned out in Saturday's session. :D

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//media/il/news/2006/1218/toyota.camry.nascar.500.jpg

What it means to you: The era of all-American stock car racing is nearing an end. In January, the teams that will field Toyotas in Nextel Cup competition will get their shot at Daytona testing.

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11965

Hameroids
12-23-06, 09:57 PM
The Toyota Camry is now the ONLY AMERICAN-BUILT car in NASCAR. Ironic ain't it?

NismoZ
12-24-06, 09:27 AM
With all the trouble Goodyear is having will 'CAB be turning to Yokohama soon?

SurfaceUnits
12-26-06, 03:00 AM
More of what the faithful signed on for.

Gordon said opening up international connections could get NASCAR on an even faster track. "You've got Toyota coming on next year which is going to open up the foreign car market. It's possible that that could take it further outside the U.S. "I hope one day that it does, if we get more foreign car manufacturers that could be a part of it. I think it could be huge."

Gordon said there was something special about stock car racing and the hold it had on fans.

"They used to actually be stock cars bought right off showroom floors and modified to go out and race," he said. "Now they are pretty much custom built from the ground up.

"But they still resemble more of a street car than any other type of race car out there.

"I do think that a lot of the fans say, 'Hey, that could be me. I could drive that car that fast and I could go out there and do that. I drive my Chevy Monte Carlo pretty fast at times.' And I do think there is an appeal to the sport because of that." :gomer:

Toyota Racing eyes Rowan
NASCAR operation has selected site near Salisbury, now awaits decision on incentives
SHARIF DURHAMS AND VICTORIA CHERRIE
sdurhams@charlotteobserver.comvcherrie@charlotteob server.com

Rowan County (NC) is likely the area's first winner in Toyota Racing Development's leap into NASCAR.
The company has an option to buy 89 acres near Salisbury to build a racing production plant.
It chose that site over locations in Cabarrus, Mecklenburg and Iredell counties and three other states, said Randy Harrell, executive director of the Salisbury-Rowan Economic Development Corp.

The Rowan County commissioners plan to vote Jan. 16 on whether to put up $519,000 over five years to help lure the $22 million plant. The state would provide additional incentives.

The plant would hire at least 40 employees when it opens. Workers would receive an average salary of $70,000 a year, Harrell said.

TOYOTA SIGNS ON — Toyota has replaced Dodge as the co-sponsor of the NASCAR Nextel Cup stop at Sonoma's Infineon Raceway in June. Toyota also became the official automobile of Infineon Raceway.

The Toyota/Save Mart 350 is June 22-24. It will be Toyota's first title sponsorship of a Nextel Cup event.

The manufacturer signed on through 2011. Dodge was the co-sponsor with Save Mart from 2001-06. Save Mart, which is the longest-running sponsor of a NASCAR Cup weekend, has two years left on its current deal. The Modesto-based grocery store chain has sponsored the race since 1992.

emjaya
12-26-06, 03:29 AM
"They used to actually be stock cars bought right off showroom floors and modified to go out and race," he said. "Now they are pretty much custom built from the ground up.

"But they still resemble more of a street car than any other type of race car out there".

:saywhat: :confused:

pchall
12-26-06, 10:56 AM
:saywhat: :confused:

It's just the party line for NASCRAP and the manufacturers. Snake oil still sells in a lot of their demographic.

SurfaceUnits
12-26-06, 11:53 AM
Snake oil still sells in a lot of their demographic.Billy Bob swears it's a Dodge; Joe Bob says it's a Ford; Earl swears it's a Chevy; Kosuke claims it's a 'yota; they're all right. It's whatever you want it to be. Just put your own sticker on it. It's magic.

http://www.racingone.com/images/sspics/hires/1288e.jpg

Duroc
12-26-06, 02:24 PM
NASCAR is like WWF. The narratives are the product. Why didn't they feed the yokels a line of bull instead of hitting them over the head with a foreign owned MNC?

See "Awesome Bill from Dawsonville". Ford Racing buys its way back into NASCAR. Who cares? Good ol' boys backyard wrenching Ford's return to NASCAR glory. Marketing gold.