PDA

View Full Version : RA Back ON

HolyCrap
04-23-03, 05:17 PM
RA race back on....Mario's name in title too! Same weekend.

JoeBob
04-23-03, 05:24 PM
http://www.cart.com/News/Article.asp?ID=5874

rabbit
04-23-03, 05:52 PM
Woooooooooooooooo hoooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!
Way :cool: !

The Mario Andretti Grand Prix at Road America, I like it!

TRDfan
04-23-03, 05:54 PM
Great that it's back....still bummed I can't make it though.

Lizzerd
04-23-03, 06:15 PM
Well, since I sold my Brickyard 400 Tickets when the schedule was changed, then bought one back from my brother when RA was cancelled, I hope he buys it back now. Maybe I should wait...

For now, though, it is a very happy day.

RaceChic
04-23-03, 06:32 PM
Lizzerd, does that mean that We aren't doing the back to back weekends again this year? I will take the holidays again.....:confused: :p :confused: :p :confused:

RTKar
04-23-03, 06:35 PM
Yahoo!......won't have to go to a wedding....No suit, just bratwurst,beer and shorts.

Chief
04-23-03, 06:37 PM
Great day for motorsports. Great to have you guys kiss and make up.

RaceChic
04-23-03, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by RTKar
Yahoo!......won't have to go to a wedding....No suit, just bratwurst,beer and shorts.

Shorts???:saywhat: How short are these shorts??????:gomer: ;) :gomer: ;) Are your legs as white as Cam's?????:cool: :rolleyes:

RaceChic
04-23-03, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Chief
Great day for motorsports. Great to have you guys kiss and make up.

Who is kissing and making up?? I want to kiss and make up too.......Okay, I'm in a punchy mood........ I better shut this thing off, go for a run and then I can come back and behave.....:rolleyes: :shakehead :rolleyes: :shakehead

Napoleon
04-23-03, 07:08 PM
:thumbup:

Lizzerd
04-23-03, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by RaceChic
Lizzerd, does that mean that We aren't doing the back to back weekends again this year? I will take the holidays again.....:confused: :p :confused: :p :confused:

Read it again, Chic. I'm saying that I hope he takes the ticket back, but I'm not yet 100% convinced that RA will happen.

tantra
04-24-03, 12:08 AM
Life just keeps getting better and better!

Hey, Lizzerd. Race you to Wisconsin (if you drive that thing you usually go to the races in).

RTKar
04-24-03, 12:25 AM
Shorts???:saywhat: How short are these shorts??????:gomer: ;) :gomer: ;) Are your legs as white as Cam's?????:cool: :rolleyes:

Just regular old summer time shorts and hopefully my legs won't be as white as Cam's, gotta work on that tan though....

oddlycalm
04-24-03, 04:33 AM
Some of the best news I've heard in a very long time. :) My hat is off to Mario on this one... couldn't have been easy.

Hurling Frootmig
04-25-03, 11:09 AM
This is a nice change. RA is a great track and I'm glad they are back.

nrc
04-25-03, 07:56 PM
CART.com has a teleconference up with Mario, Chris Pook and George Bruggenthies.

http://www.cart.com/News/Article.asp?ID=5881

Sounds like Mario threw some weight around. I imagine that at the end of the day neither side wanted Mario fingering them as the sticking point.

cart7
04-26-03, 08:19 AM
Sigh of relief. http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/otn/other/11doh.gif

chop456
04-26-03, 10:50 AM
My season ticket has been un-cancelled.

Everyone go, and bring a homie or three.

RARules
04-26-03, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by chop456

This would be an excellent way of supporting our series! Talk it up on all the boards.

At least drive up for the day of the race. There's at least 10-12 (probably 15) million people with a 3-hour drive or RA.

RaceChic
04-26-03, 05:42 PM
I'm driving all the way from Toronto.
11-12 hour drive at least.
Now I guess you don't have to change your name huh, RARules???:D :D :D

Hink
04-26-03, 10:16 PM
I'm there!

RARules
04-26-03, 11:32 PM
I'm driving all the way from Toronto.
11-12 hour drive at least.
Now I guess you don't have to change your name huh, RARules???:D :D :D
Yeah, that was a close one... ;)

OTOH, I'll be living in Baltimore in early August. I don't know if I can swing it, but I'll certainly give it a shot. If I make it, it will definitely be by air to Chicago.

RaceChic
04-27-03, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by RARules
Yeah, that was a close one... ;)

OTOH, I'll be living in Baltimore in early August. I don't know if I can swing it, but I'll certainly give it a shot. If I make it, it will definitely be by air to Chicago.

Is Chicago the closest to fly into? I might have to fly in if I can't get a whole week and a half off to do both RA and Mid-Ohio like I did last year. What is the closest to RA and how far a drive is it from the
closest airport to RA? :confused: :confused:

RARules
04-27-03, 12:35 AM
Is Chicago the closest to fly into? I might have to fly in if I can't get a whole week and a half off to do both RA and Mid-Ohio like I did last year. What is the closest to RA and how far a drive is it from the
closest airport to RA? :confused: :confused:
Long story... My residence is 30 mi. west of Chicago. I'm in grad school in Oklahoma, and will be working in Baltimore over the summer. I don't think I'll be able to swing more than the actual weekend.

Anyway if I fly into Chicago, I'll have my own auto transportation.

Milwaukee is certainly closer than Chicago - by about 1.5 hours. Do a Mapquest or MapsOnUs for more details. Sheboygan is really close (~20 miles?), but getting a flight into there (I assume) is a lot harder because it's really small (most people in the country don't even know the name).

From Chicago to RA is about 160 miles or so - about 3 hours. Milwaukee about 75 miles - 1.5+ hours.

And as everybody who's ever been to RA knows - keep to the posted speed limits on race weekends in Wisconsin. The Wisconsin state troopers really clamp down - lots of free revenue - especially from folks with "out-of-state" plates. I can directly attest to this - thank goodness I wasn't driving.

RTKar
04-27-03, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by chop456

Cool Chop, I never did cancel mine. After throwing crap around the house for about a week when the announcement was made, I decided to stand behind RA, I guess I blamed CART for this SNAFU, so I was going to support RA and check out a few other events and probably bid CART adieu after this year. I'm just happy it's back on.

RaceChic
04-27-03, 09:20 AM
Thanks RARules. It looks possible that I may have trouble making it. It seems like the airports are too far to get cab rides to the track from. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............. What mow?:confused: :confused: :confused:

RTKar
04-27-03, 10:55 AM
Thanks RARules. It looks possible that I may have trouble making it. It seems like the airports are too far to get cab rides to the track from. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............. What mow?:confused: :confused: :confused:

Chic, check flights from Toronto to Green Bay Wisconsin, Northwest should have flights with a stop in Minneapolis Minnesota for somewhere around $260 US. Green Bay is north of RA (maybe 30-40 miles ?). The drive from either city would be pretty straight forward and not that hard with a decent map, with Green Bay being a little less confusing. Milwaukee's airport is more or less south of the city, so you'd have to drive the expressway through Milwaukee but it's nothing like Chicago as far as traffic and interchanges go.It's really a fairly simple navigation.

RARules
04-27-03, 01:26 PM
Thanks RARules. It looks possible that I may have trouble making it. It seems like the airports are too far to get cab rides to the track from. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............. What now?:confused: :confused: :confused:
Green Bay looks like about 50-60 miles (75 miles according to MapsOnUs, but that's using primary roads which takes you a bit out of the way). Yes, that's another good alternative.

Why not rent a car for the duration? Cab rides are probably not workable to RA. It's really out in the country. And with all the talk of the EAA sucking up motel rooms, you're not likely to find lodging anywhere near. I think you really need private transportation of some sort.

As an alternate approach, if you fly into Chicago or Milwaukee, perhaps another Off Camber member might be able to pick you up on their way to RA. Very iffy logistics, but possible - especially if both are there only for race day (no need for coordinated motel arrangements).

RaceChic
04-27-03, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by RARules
As an alternate approach, if you fly into Chicago or Milwaukee, perhaps another Off Camber member might be able to pick you up on their way to RA.

That might work. Lizzerd could help me out with camping gear. Anyone passing by an airport that I might be able to get a flight into on the way to RA that is camping and would pck up a Chic?

You're right RARules, it is quite out of the way. I was there last year and had a blast and desperately wanted to come back so I was thrilled that Mario pulled the venue out of the dumpster!!!! :D

tantra
04-27-03, 02:25 PM
RaceChic, send me an e-mail.
I will be driving to RA on Thurs and may be able to pick you and get you there from an airport in Chicagp, Milwakee, or perhaps even Green Bay.

Between Lizzerd and me, we should be able to get you fixed up to attend again this year.

David

Lizzerd
04-27-03, 04:04 PM
Ditto.

cartmanoz
04-30-03, 02:53 AM
Great news. Road American should never have been left off in the first place.

How about we get Mario to have a word in Bernie's ear and perhaps we could get Spa back on the F1 calender?