PDA

View Full Version : Ownership Announcement Monday

SurfaceUnits
12-15-06, 04:51 PM
Team ownership announcement to be made Monday according to CCWS spokesperson

CTEHVMPSFMB:confused: :D

http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=46111

trauma1
12-15-06, 04:55 PM
i would probably knock of the CTE part, Minardi/HVM racing sounds better

ferrarigod
12-15-06, 06:29 PM
Yellow Ribbon racing?

trauma1
12-15-06, 07:16 PM
Yellow Ribbon racing?

strictly property rights of FTG and earl along with Cahill and Playa Del racing:rofl:

SurfaceUnits
12-16-06, 01:29 PM
Former Minardi owner to reveal Champ Car plans

JEFF PAPPONE
Globe and Mail Update

Former Minardi owner Paul Stoddart is expected to reveal his plans on Monday to bring the famed Formula One name to Champ Car in 2007.

The deal comes after months of speculation surrounding a purchase of the CTE Racing-HVM team owned by Keith Wiggins and comic Cedric Kyles, better known as Cedric the Entertainer.

It was thought the deal to buy CTE would be announced in the days following the season finale in Mexico City last month, but it never materialized.

Champ Car will hold a teleconference Monday morning to make "an ownership announcement regarding one of its teams." It comes days after Stoddart met with Champ Car team owners in Indianapolis and held talks with series' officials to discuss his plans for next season.

Having the Australian bring the Minardi name to Champ Car should be a boost to the series, which expects to have as many as 24 cars competing in 2007 after years of struggling to maintain the minimum 18 on the grid required by some race promoter contracts.

Part of the series' resurgence is owed to the brand new low-cost car designed by Atlanta-based Panoz Auto Development that will make its debut next season.

A lifetime racing fan and racer himself, the 51-year-old Australian millionaire bought perennial backmarker Minardi F1 at the end of the 2000 season after running a team in the European F3000 series for two years.

The outfit's constant money troubles and difficulty getting a competitive car to the track made it a fan favourite. Its underdog charm had Minardi's fan club boasting huge membership lists, rivaling even Ferrari. Stoddart's combative nature and his willingness to do battle with Federation Internationale de l'Automobile president Max Mosley and F1 ringmaster Bernie Ecclestone won him countless fans.

Minardi also had a long history of bringing young talent into the sport. Drivers on the 2006 F1 grid who got their start with Minardi include reigning double world champions Fernando Alonso, Giancarlo Fisichella, Jarno Trulli, and Mark Webber. 2006 Champ Car championship runner-up Justin Wilson also broke into F1 with the team.

But after four years of struggling to make ends meet and filling the financial gaps with his own money, Stoddart sold the outfit to Red Bull billionaire Dietrich Mateschitz who renamed the outfit Scuderia Toro Rosso (Team Red Bull in Italian).

While he sold the team, Stoddart kept the rights to the Minardi name, which is expected to make its debut at the season opener in Las Vegas on Easter weekend.

He also owns a number of two-seat F1 cars, which are used to give fans, sponsors, and guests thrill-of-a-lifetime rides at racetracks around the world. It is thought that the two-seater team would make a few appearances at Champ Car races in 2007.

Stoddart made most of his fortune through European Aviation, an air charter, cargo, and VIP flight company, which began when he bought a fleet of aircraft from the Australian Air Force in 1989.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20061215.wsptmina15/GSStory/GlobeSportsOther/GlobeSports/?query=

scorpion
12-16-06, 08:25 PM
I do hope this turns out to be a real story, and not just further rumor about Soddarts possible entry in Champ Car.

NismoZ
12-16-06, 08:50 PM
Wish I knew why CC needed so damn many meetings to land him. If he wins one next year, we'll know!

Hameroids
12-17-06, 11:01 AM
Wish I knew why CC needed so damn many meetings to land him. If he wins one next year, we'll know!

Expect a huge plot twist with this one. Things have been too quiet (in a good way).

NismoZ
12-17-06, 12:38 PM
I'm just not certain he'll be considered much of an underdog in CC and that "combative nature" and "willingness to do battle" (with authority) may be something CC will have to deal with. Don't give away the farm and hope for the best, I suppose. (4 cars?)

Ruben Barrios
12-17-06, 04:59 PM
New chasis... everyone on the same page... no way Minardi is an underdog... Then again theywere mediocre at best in F1!

Jayblues
12-17-06, 05:07 PM
Expect a huge plot twist with this one. Things have been too quiet (in a good way).

Are you suggesting bigger than ownership of a team? Maybe a partner in the series?

Spicoli
12-17-06, 05:44 PM
prolly more to do with Euro-dates, my guess.....

RusH
12-17-06, 05:59 PM
prolly more to do with Euro-dates, my guess.....

I hope so!

I love Euro dates :)

NismoZ
12-17-06, 07:00 PM
Please, not Poland!:p

GOFAST1
12-17-06, 10:41 PM
This is as big as Nigel 1993 if not bigger.

Rogue Leader
12-17-06, 10:56 PM

mmmmmm While I love this announcement, there is very little that could happen these days thats bigger than the reigning F1 world champion defecting to a (at the time) competing race series.

Cam
12-17-06, 11:00 PM

Sorry. the only thing I see that would be that big in this day and age is "TG Surrenders."

Hameroids
12-17-06, 11:28 PM
I hope so!

I love Euro dates :)

Eastern Bloc chicks rock.

KLang
12-18-06, 10:53 AM
FORMER F1 TEAM PRINCIPAL PAUL STODDART JOINS CHAMP CAR WORLD SERIES AS CTE RACING - HVM BECOMES MINARDI TEAM USA (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=11168)

SurfaceUnits
12-18-06, 11:07 AM
The announcement it somewhat vague on team makeup, with this statement:

"This is an exciting progression for our company, which will allow us to take it to the next level" said Wiggins. "It puts together all the elements we have established at HVM, continues the progress with the CTE program and adds the resources and talent that Minardi brings.

NismoZ
12-18-06, 11:15 AM
Minardi Team USA...with Australian owners and Euro drivers? Hmmmm. I think I like that.:D

Spicoli
12-18-06, 11:20 AM
Minardi Team USA...with Australian owners and Euro drivers? Hmmmm. I think I like that.:D

Fits right in with The Vi$ion$. Soon, Lord Sagamore will copy this too, and standing starts.:p

:larryfoyt:

TU Homer
12-18-06, 11:20 AM
Does this mean:
Mindardi USA - 2 cars
CTE/HVM - 2 cars

Or does this mean:
Minardi USA - 2 cars

-TU

Cam
12-18-06, 11:34 AM
Calling Paintergeek! Dude give us the juicy details! ;)

ChampcarShark
12-18-06, 11:40 AM
As long as they bring a competitive racing team they can bring as many cars as they want.

Also nothing the announcement says that CCWS may have 27 cars by next year.

I am expecting a very exciting 07 season, like the phoenix CCWS has resurrected and is now flying high.

NismoZ
12-18-06, 11:43 AM
Pretty sure it's one or the other!:p ...but there was talk of four cars or at least 3 at one point in the runup to all this. Stoddart was fairly clear he wanted his "own drivers" but maybe that's a compromise that extended this announcement til now? If it's a "Team USA" maybe one of the guys is American? Considering the talk of 01s in short supply perhaps the team won't expand until next season. In any case this appears to be a good thing for CC and I hope it begins to pay immediate dividends as far as interest, publicity and racing excitement.

KLang
12-18-06, 11:49 AM
Does this mean:
Mindardi USA - 2 cars
CTE/HVM - 2 cars

Or does this mean:
Minardi USA - 2 cars

-TU

I'm guessing 2 cars. If it were more I would expect the announcement to say so.

trauma1
12-18-06, 11:55 AM
It's officail, Minardi and champ car, CTE/HVM remains intact with Fabio and Speedy DAn, Paul working out of the CTE/HVM shop 2 cars, now whogets the seats, Hey FTG who has the hammer NOW:rofl:

INDIANAPOLIS (December 18, 2006) - The lights were turned up even higher on what is already a bright future for the Champ Car World Series Monday when Paul Stoddart announced that he had purchased a controlling interest in the Indianapolis-based CTE Racing - HVM Champ Car team.

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=11168

Lux Interior
12-18-06, 12:03 PM
Paul is a great owner and he loves racing. He is a perfect fot for champcar. Someone with his credentials is absolutely wonderful for the series.

KLang
12-18-06, 12:05 PM
It's officail, Minardi and champ car, CTE/HVM remains intact with Fabio and Speedy DAn, Paul working out of the CTE/HVM shop 2 cars

Where are you reading that?

trauma1
12-18-06, 12:06 PM
Paul is a great owner and he loves racing. He is a perfect fot for champcar. Someone with his credentials is absolutely wonderful for the series.

i wonder if he can talk Eddie Jordan to come on board also::thumbup:

devilmaster
12-18-06, 12:15 PM
from forzaminardi.com

http://www.forzaminardi.com/images/content/minardiusa.gif

pchall
12-18-06, 12:40 PM
The announcement it somewhat vague on team makeup, with this statement:

"This is an exciting progression for our company, which will allow us to take it to the next level" said Wiggins. "It puts together all the elements we have established at HVM, continues the progress with the CTE program and adds the resources and talent that Minardi brings.

Sounds like Wiggins gets to run Fabio and Speedy while Stoddarts adds a driver or two for his sporting entertainment.

Just think! A three or four car Minardi SuperTeam in the making! :D

Gangrel
12-18-06, 12:48 PM
Sorry. the only thing I see that would be that big in this day and age is "TG Surrenders."

ummm....Michael Schumacher and DE Jr. defect to CCWS.

Not that we would like it, but that would be bigger.... :D

SurfaceUnits
12-18-06, 12:56 PM
“In terms of the structure of the new organisation, HVM will become Minardi Team USA, and all the day-to-day management will continue under Keith and his highly skilled staff. This is obviously a new challenge for us, but one about which we are very excited.”

Paul brings talent with him: http://www.forzaminardi.com/images/content/large/sj5.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------
To the man who saved the American Open Wheel Oval Tradition: Orlando - New Hampshire - Atlanta - Nazareth - East St. Louis - Denver - Phoenix - California - Michigan - Vegas

trauma1
12-18-06, 02:17 PM
Where are you reading that?

my bad after finding this it explains it alot better than the tidbits on champ car.com however wiggy will run the team and Cedric still associated with the team, 2 cars at least,

In terms of the structure of the new organisation, HVM will become Minardi Team USA, and all the day-to-day management will continue under Keith and his highly skilled staff. This is obviously a new challenge for us, but one about which we are very excited.”

Keith Wiggins adds, “This is an exciting progression for our company, which will allow us to take it to the next level. It puts together all the elements we have established at HVM, continues the progress with the CTE programme, and adds the resources and talent that Minardi brings. The chemistry between Paul and myself is extremely good, and I’m looking forward to a stable, long-term future.”
Further details concerning the formation of Minardi Team USA, including drivers and sponsors, will be released in the coming weeks, as the team prepares for the first open test of the 2007 season, which takes place January 23-25, in Sebring, Florida

http://www.forzaminardi.com/

SurfaceUnits
12-18-06, 02:42 PM
Paul Stoddart has admitted that there could be major Dutch interest in Minardi Team USA in 2007, and that it may involve Jos Verstappen becoming one of their drivers.

Stoddart, together with Keith Wiggins and Champ Car President Steve Johnson, held a press conference today following the announcement that the Australian has bought a controlling interest in CTE Racing-HVM.

Stoddart confirmed that Dutch businessman Harry Muermans, who backed Jan Heylen at Dale Coyne Racing this season and Stoddart's Minardi team in Formula One, will also have an association with the team.

Stoddart declared: "Harry Muermans is not just a business partner but also a friend of mine, and he will have some involvement in the team. The exact nature of this has not yet been finalised.

"Regarding drivers, Jos [Verstappen] and I go back a long way, and I think he'd be an asset to the team and to the series. We're also talking to Robert Doornbos, who I think is a very talented driver."

To a Dutch journalist, Stoddart remarked: "Expect an exciting announcement in the New Year."

Where this leaves the team's 2006 drivers Nelson Philippe and Dan Clarke is unclear. Stoddart stated today that "Running four cars is probably a bit too much for 2007; three is the aim.

"We are currently seriously talking to four drivers including Nelson and Dan. There are also others beyond that, with whom we're at an earlier stage of negotiations."

Stoddart added that Katherine Legge could be part of the team's new line-up, and that nothing will be confirmed before the new year.

Both he and Wiggins stated their desire to have the drivers finalised by the time of the first test with the new Panoz DP01 on January 23rd.

G.
12-18-06, 03:02 PM
Three cars is their aim.

Doorknobs and Brakesare appear to be in.

Then a tossup between Fabio, Speedy and WeGotAChickToo?

I really don't want to lose Nelson, Clarke or Legge. I want to see them progress.

Hell, we can't lose Kat, she's bought and paid for.

NismoZ
12-18-06, 03:19 PM
Nothing new in the Dutch connection, Doornbos and Verstappen rumors or the possibility of a 3rd car but thats the first time I've heard about Legge landing there. NOW I know where the delay in announcement may have originated. KK DID say Kate would be in CC in '07, he just couldn't say where. Fine. They can expand in '08...year 5 of the 5 year plan.;) Like KK said, "Everything is going according to plan.":thumbup: (still think availabity of 01s was a factor. Wouldn't look good if the new guy could get more than somebody else so after yr.1 my guess is the team WILL expand.)

KLang
12-18-06, 03:43 PM
Three cars is their aim.

Doorknobs and Brakesare appear to be in.

Then a tossup between Fabio, Speedy and WeGotAChickToo?

I really don't want to lose Nelson, Clarke or Legge. I want to see them progress.

Hell, we can't lose Kat, she's bought and paid for.

I read somewhere the suggestion that Pettit might take Legge with him to RuSPORT. Assuming Wilson stays that would make that the Brit team.

trauma1
12-18-06, 04:38 PM
RM's quess of the driver line up, he has speedy and fabio in for sure the 3rd seatand possible 4th seat up for grabs:rofl:

Neither offered any details on drivers for what figures to be a three-car effort. Wiggins has stated he wants to keep Dan Clarke and Nelson Philippe, while Jos Verstappen, Robert Doornbos and Katherine Legge are also in the picture.

TravelGal
12-18-06, 04:42 PM
Doorknobs and

PLEASE don't call him that. You are reinforcing my bad behavior. I simply can't see anything else but that spelling when I read his name.

Well, at least I'm not the only one. I have to thank you for that.

Spicoli
12-18-06, 04:56 PM
who gots da hammer now baby!:D

http://i11.tinypic.com/49bo682.gif

cameraman
12-18-06, 05:02 PM
Is Dale Coyne going to lose the Muermans backing he had for 2006?

It sure sounds like it.:shakehead

TravelGal
12-18-06, 06:11 PM
^^^ I wondered that.

Just finished reading the full press conference. I wish the transcriber would get all the useful words instead of getting every "you know" from Wiggins. Nevertheless, some good nuggets.

Lots a great references to having more resources. Keith even admits he can sleep a little better this Christmas than most. Also references to a couple of more [big] things to be announced.

I don't like that Nelson and Dan are only "in the mix." This is gonna be one VERRY interesting month before the open test.

Can't wait for Wednesday when the teams actually get their first car.

TU Homer
12-18-06, 08:11 PM
^^^ I wondered that.

Just finished reading the full press conference. I wish the transcriber would get all the useful words instead of getting every "you know" from Wiggins. Nevertheless, some good nuggets.

Lots a great references to having more resources. Keith even admits he can sleep a little better this Christmas than most. Also references to a couple of more [big] things to be announced.

I don't like that Nelson and Dan are only "in the mix." This is gonna be one VERRY interesting month before the open test.

Can't wait for Wednesday when the teams actually get their first car.

Nelson must be in, since he brings in a fabio amount of cash. Speedy Dan is fast and getting faster, so he sits highly with Wiggy and CTE. Those two have to be in. They showed growth this past season, like few did.

On the other hand, the Fabio clan could be involved in PKV, and that's where Nelson could end up, which opens up Mindardi for the mizzzz.

My guess:
Nelson goes to PKV with Father Fabio
Mizzz Legge goes to Mindardi
Speedy Dan stays at Mindardi
Jos the Bos goes to Mindardi
Doorknob goes to Mindardi for some races.

Pulled that out of my a$$.

-TU

Spicoli
12-18-06, 08:27 PM
One Day, Nelsonmania could own the whole series.

http://i10.tinypic.com/3353z89.jpg

TU Homer
12-18-06, 08:31 PM
That's NOT helping your Nelson promotion. We all love Nelson....just not THAT way.

-TU

audi quattro
12-18-06, 08:57 PM
I wonder how CTEs participation was exorcised?
Did he voluntarily step down?
Or was he gone anyway after 06?
I wouldn't mind knowing.

Spicoli
12-18-06, 09:01 PM
That's NOT helping your Nelson promotion. We all love Nelson....just not THAT way.

-TU

Tags signed it. not me. :D

NismoZ
12-18-06, 09:02 PM
T-1...he's obviously talking to someone as Stoddart has said another ex-F-1 team owner is quietly taking a serious look at ChampCar. Hmmmm.

SurfaceUnits
12-18-06, 09:52 PM
Didn't say EX : ---> I think I'm the only one that's publicly said it but I know privately there's at least one other formula team owner who is quietly thinking at this point in time.

apex
12-18-06, 10:07 PM
Didn't say EX : ---> I think I'm the only one that's publicly said it but I know privately there's at least one other formula team owner who is quietly thinking at this point in time.

Dietrich Mateschitz comes to mind since he does have NA aspirations for his products and he has the capital to field a Cc team if he chose to..

TravelGal
12-19-06, 04:56 AM
TU, I immediately thought that two "characters" like Nelson and Stoddart would be great for the same team. THEN I wondered if both who like to be the center of attention would work out okay.

I'm liking your scenario for logic but somehow I don't see Nelson gelling or chillin with Jimmy. Who knows, maybe they get along great. They are both funloving on the outside but all business when it comes to racing.

Great that we actually have good drivers and good teams to talk about this year. :thumbup:

TU Homer
12-19-06, 10:30 AM
Tags signed it. not me. :D

Someone had to ASK Tags to sign that....unless your telling me that Tags was signing Nelsonmania posters? Was Bronte involved?

-TU

TU Homer
12-19-06, 10:35 AM
TU, I immediately thought that two "characters" like Nelson and Stoddart would be great for the same team. THEN I wondered if both who like to be the center of attention would work out okay.

I'm liking your scenario for logic but somehow I don't see Nelson gelling or chillin with Jimmy. Who knows, maybe they get along great. They are both funloving on the outside but all business when it comes to racing.

Great that we actually have good drivers and good teams to talk about this year. :thumbup:

I don't see the conflict you do. I could possibly imagine Father Fabio not gellin with the PKV leadership as a possibility.

-TU

Spicoli
12-19-06, 10:37 AM
Someone had to ASK Tags to sign that....unless your telling me that Tags was signing Nelsonmania posters? Was Bronte involved?

-TU

That's pretty much it. At the Friday night CARA dealio thing, Tags was just sitting there and Bronte saw the poster i was carrying around and they both just sort of started laughing about it, and he axed me to bring it over and he axed me if he could sign it, yada yada yada....it was pretty hilarious. crowd ensued.

Ed note: foto was from his myspace page, Sean O had it bookmarked.

:D

TU Homer
12-19-06, 10:49 AM
That's pretty much it. At the Friday night CARA dealio thing, Tags was just sitting there and Bronte saw the poster i was carrying around and they both just sort of started laughing about it, and he axed me to bring it over and he axed me if he could sign it, yada yada yada....it was pretty hilarious. crowd ensued.

Ed note: foto was from his myspace page, Sean O had it bookmarked.

:D

Bronte liked it? Hmm.. That changes things.

-TU

TravelGal
12-19-06, 01:52 PM
I don't see the conflict you do. I could possibly imagine Father Fabio not gellin with the PKV leadership as a possibility.

-TU

I didn't exactly see conflict just not a match of personalities. I'm glad you don't see it because the it sounds like a rip roaring team to me.

Steve99
12-19-06, 03:33 PM
I wonder how CTEs participation was exorcised?

In the press conference transcript they say that CTE will still be involved.

SurfaceUnits
12-19-06, 03:51 PM
They are supposed to be meeting with CTE today/tomorrow
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/content/photos/2006/By800/20061022P_0079.jpg

"I guess there's a little less nail biting and maybe I'll get drunk a couple more times at Christmas. It's going to be a good Christmas," said Wiggins. "No, make that a real good Christmas.""

devilmaster
12-19-06, 04:03 PM
So, with Wiggins and Stoddart joining forces, could we start to see more interest from F1 privateers?

Just a wish, but i'd love to see someone like a Eddie Jordan or Jackie Stewart in CC.....

trauma1
12-19-06, 04:26 PM
Eddie, and do not be surprised if that happens either

pchall
12-19-06, 04:33 PM
Just a wish, but i'd love to see someone like a Eddie Jordan or Jackie Stewart in CC.....

Please spare me the impossibly pompous Wee Scot, but bring on EJ and more babes!

apex
12-19-06, 04:40 PM
Eddie, and do not be surprised if that happens either

Like Stoddart, Eddie Jordan would be a breathe of fresh air to champcar. He had the best sense of humour in the F1 paddock and knows how to have a good time and go racing. This would fit in rather nicely with CC's three day festivals of speed concept if you ask me, not to mention the additional shot of worldwide racing credibility to the CCWS with his involvement.

Jordan would be a great addition to Champcar.

SurfaceUnits
12-19-06, 04:43 PM
Is Alex Schneider going to set up his own Champcar team and call them Jordan next? The Effone world wants to know!!

apex
12-19-06, 05:01 PM
Is Alex Schneider going to set up his own Champcar team and call them Jordan next? The Effone world wants to know!!

Interesting thought....having Schneider involved just might procure some desperately needed Canadian sponsorship to the series. Particularly for the Canadian races.

I question his motivation though since he never seemed to have his heart in his entire F1 fling. He seemed to love the wine, caviar and woman part of f1 more than anything else.:rolleyes:

Insomniac
12-19-06, 05:11 PM
What's Barry Green up to nowadays?

TU Homer
12-19-06, 05:16 PM
What's Barry Green up to nowadays? you mean, aside from working for AGR Productions?

-TU

NismoZ
12-19-06, 05:23 PM
I'm more of a beer, pretzels and woman guy, I guess but I thought I had read "ex-F-1" guy. (looking toward CC) With their ALMS participation I thought the next move for Pro-Drive might be CC. I was surprised when they decided to sample F-1, but...As well as '07 seems to be shaping up the real happiness might just be '08. Once there are enough DPs to go around, things might really open up.:thumbup:

Spicoli
12-19-06, 06:06 PM
What's Barry Green up to nowadays?

he got old and bought a boat.

http://www.starclub-rowing.org/images/JuniorSquad/Pict0009%20-%20Barry%20Green.jpg

Insomniac
12-20-06, 11:55 AM
you mean, aside from working for AGR Productions?

-TU

I didn't know if he was still doing the promotion thing.