PDA

View Full Version : School=Over

Tifosi24
12-14-06, 11:31 PM
Well, I just did terrible on my last final, but on the very bright side I just completed my Masters degree in Economics. Now all I have to do is find a job and work on getting the impending wedding all squared away.

devilmaster
12-14-06, 11:42 PM
Congrats Tif. :thumbup:

G.
12-14-06, 11:53 PM
Outstanding!:thumbup:

B3RACER1a
12-15-06, 01:01 AM
Congrads! Its a great feeling. I actually had a job before I graduated, so I did terrible on just about every one of my finals...lol...so dont feel too bad about it. :thumbup:

nrc
12-15-06, 01:27 AM
Congrats!

Joelski
12-15-06, 01:41 AM
Congrats! I considering going back and graduating one more time myself, but I look forward to 4 more years of school as much as a third Bush term. :cry:

Ankf00
12-15-06, 03:39 AM
congrats dude, 'bout time. :thumbup:

Gangrel
12-15-06, 08:53 AM
Congrats Tif! Welcome to the post-grad world!

Gangrel
12-15-06, 08:54 AM
Congrats! I considering going back and graduating one more time myself, but I look forward to 4 more years of school as much as a third Bush term. :cry:

What kind of degree are you looking at that would take 4 years? MBA only took me 2 part time....

Audi_A4
12-15-06, 10:27 AM
:tony: Dont let school get in the way of your education

RHR_Fan
12-15-06, 12:29 PM
Well, I just did terrible on my last final, but on the very bright side I just completed my Masters degree in Economics. Now all I have to do is find a job and work on getting the impending wedding all squared away.

Awesome! :thumbup:

I still have 5 exams to go this semester, including one today. :yuck:

~Nicole

Joelski
12-15-06, 02:48 PM
What kind of degree are you looking at that would take 4 years? MBA only took me 2 part time....

Long white coat. There are lots of grad proggys that are 3 or more years.

cameraman
12-15-06, 02:53 PM
Long white coat. There are lots of grad proggys that are 3 or more years.It is a lot longer than 4 years. Residency (aka slave labor) can last up to seven years after the initial four....

The molecular biology PhD's usually take 5 to 7 years
then a 2-3 year post doc @ $33K/year
then a 2-3 year post doc @ $44K/year
then an assistant professor gig @ $66K/year assuming you can find a grant to pay you....

oddlycalm
12-15-06, 03:06 PM
It is a lot longer than 4 years. Residency (aka slave labor) can last up to seven years after the initial four....

then an assistant professor gig @ $66K/year assuming you can find a grant to pay you.... You pretty much summed up the reasons why more kids aren't interested in math and science. Show them the money and they will come...

Congrats on granulating Tifosi :thumbup:

oc

Joelski
12-15-06, 03:12 PM
It is a lot longer than 4 years. Residency (aka slave labor) can last up to seven years after the initial four....

then an assistant professor gig @ $66K/year assuming you can find a grant to pay you....

You don't graduate from a residency, you take boards. I said graduate again, as in undergrad is done. Medical school is 4 years; two years of schooling, one year of clerkship, and one for internship.

cameraman
12-15-06, 03:29 PM
You don't graduate from a residency, you take boards. I said graduate again, as in undergrad is done. Medical school is 4 years; two years of schooling, one year of clerkship, and one for internship.

True but you don't have a job that is worth a damn until you are board certified in your choosen speciality after completing your residency. Unless your career goal is to work in an hmo clinic in the back of your local grocery store you must complete a residency.

Joelski
12-15-06, 03:31 PM
True but you don't have a job that is worth a damn until you are board certified in your choosen speciality after completing your residency. Unless your career goal is to work in an hmo clinic in the back of your local grocery store you must complete a residency.

I know lots of board-elligible docs that are making north of 200k/year. It's not entirely about money at this point in my life, and if it were, I'd be SOL to date and beyond. BTW, what group do you work for?

cameraman
12-15-06, 03:41 PM
I know lots ofr board-elligible docs that are making north of 200k/year. It's not entirely about money at this point in my life, and if it were, I'd be SOL to date and beyond. BTW, what group do you work for?University of Utah School of Medicine, as a biologist teaching MD fellows how to do molecular biology.

Tifosi24
12-15-06, 03:53 PM
The good news keeps coming folks. I was extended a job offer this morning. It looks like the pay isn't going to be that great, but it is government work. I will make the final decision on Monday, but I am really leaning heavily toward the position because the non-fiducary parts of the job are a lot better than some higher paying positions I have looked at.

cameraman
12-15-06, 04:01 PM
That is the way of the world. The government research jobs are vastly (imo) more satisfying than the industrial ones, they just pay a lot less. The fact that going to work is so enjoyable is how they get away with paying us what they do.

Dr. Corkski
12-15-06, 04:33 PM
The good news keeps coming folks. I was extended a job offer this morning. It looks like the pay isn't going to be that great, but it is government work. I will make the final decision on Monday, but I am really leaning heavily toward the position because the non-fiducary parts of the job are a lot better than some higher paying positions I have looked at.Take the offer if it comes with Wild season tickets. :thumbup:

Joelski
12-15-06, 06:25 PM
University of Utah School of Medicine, as a biologist teaching MD fellows how to do molecular biology.

Cool. My undergrad is in Biology witha minor in English (always wanted to do law). I have been putting this off for 25 years and groomed for it many years prior to that.

TravelGal
12-15-06, 07:56 PM
Absolutely the most wonderful news I've heard in a long while. Congrats to you. On the end of finals, the beginning of life after graduation, the planned wedding, and the JOB offer. As one of the resident ancients around here, I can tell you seriously that if they have good a med plan and retirement, you won't regret the lower $$ right now. You can always flip burgers for extra income.

Happy days ahead. :) :)

Joelski
12-15-06, 08:07 PM
The good news keeps coming folks. I was extended a job offer this morning. It looks like the pay isn't going to be that great, but it is government work. I will make the final decision on Monday, but I am really leaning heavily toward the position because the non-fiducary parts of the job are a lot better than some higher paying positions I have looked at.

Excellent work Tif; you've already achieved the hard part of being a graduate: getting an offer. Those bennies might just add-up to equal pay for a higher salary/higher premiums elsewhere and if memory serves, you are getting married soon, so a good plan can help a lot when the family grows.