PDA

View Full Version : That's not a stadium... that's a space station!

Ankf00
12-13-06, 05:11 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/g4scott/jerryworlddstar.jpg
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/6836/jerryworld02kh1.jpg

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/12-06/1212stadium1.pdf
http://stadium.dallascowboys.com/

field level suites will suck, upper deck will suck, about the only solid experiences will be had in the club & normal suite areas. they're taking a page from the Leafs/Oilers playbook and having the players walk to the field through a club area, that'll be neat.

Texas-Stadium-Tron == 180x50' == 9K sq ft == 2 sided == 18K sq ft of HD video goodness, and then there's the adzillatrons on the exterior of the building. Longest arches in the world, 2x StL's, fits lady liberty vertically, copying Indy's open air endzone window idea as well. Lots of stadium cues borrowed from other stadium concepts like Vikings/Gophers & HongKong & New Wembley...

arlington taxpayers == hosed on the deal, but don't tell them that, and there's no rail into the city, they voted it down, can't have "those people" coming into their run down suburb, have fun with the bottlenecks & congestion...

Wheel-Nut
12-13-06, 05:28 PM
$700,000,000 . . . . is that true? :eek: If it is I am glad I don't live in Arlington!

taking a page from the Leafs/Oilers playbook and having the players walk to the field through a club area, that'll be neat.

It's the Cowboys, how many of the players will actually make it to the field for the game?

KLang
12-13-06, 05:36 PM
'exawatt planetary varporizing laser'

Hey, that could come in handy if an asteroid gets to close. :)

Ankf00
12-13-06, 05:39 PM
arlington's hosed in the long run, in 30 years Jerry can buy the stadium & all property for 100M minus previous payments to Arlington & any cost over the original $650M budget. The budget is now $1.1B, 450M over cost, so Jerry gets the entire property for free and can do what he pleases with it at that time, ie tear it down, sell it, and lobby city govt for a new subsidized death star.

*shrug* none of this matters to me in the long run, just seems like one stupid f'ing investment on arlington's part. tourists/visitors will stay/eat/shop in Dallas instead. people already do it that way for the ballpark, why should this stadium be any different?

It is one nice looking joint though, too bad the seats look like they're so far away from the action. And too bad a slimeball like JJ owns it...

Insomniac
12-13-06, 06:59 PM
I thought the tax to fund this was on hotel rooms? So really, mostly travellers would be paying.

Also, can't wait for a punt to hit the superjumbotron. :)

Ankf00
12-13-06, 07:19 PM
I thought the tax to fund this was on hotel rooms? So really, mostly travellers would be paying.

Also, can't wait for a punt to hit the superjumbotron. :)

I wonder what the game rules are if that happens? I imagine they'll raise JJtron an extra 25-50 ft when construction time comes...

If they kept the sales tax, that's a lot of $$ that can be invested in the city, opportunity cost. Also there's the debt service that's not considered in the discussion. If the ballpark's any indication it won't be generating much property tax revenue, if at all, and then they're just giving away a $1B investment in the end.

TKGAngel
12-13-06, 08:06 PM
they're taking a page from the Leafs/Oilers playbook and having the players walk to the field through a club area, that'll be neat.

That's worthy of a :thumbup: right there. That's one of the coolest ways for players to enter the field, IMO.

How long before superjumbotron falls onto the field?

devilmaster
12-13-06, 08:31 PM
How long before superjumbotron falls onto the field?

Guess its time to start the pool on that.... This is what it will probably look like when its done....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9c/Hockeyrink.jpg

ferrarigod
12-13-06, 10:31 PM
Guess its time to start the pool on that.... This is what it will probably look like when its done....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9c/Hockeyrink.jpg

What you know about Marine Midland Arena!!!!:thumbup:

Miss the Aud.

Stu
12-13-06, 10:49 PM
arlington's hosed in the long run, in 30 years Jerry can buy the stadium & all property for 100M minus previous payments to Arlington & any cost over the original $650M budget. The budget is now $1.1B, 450M over cost, so Jerry gets the entire property for free and can do what he pleases with it at that time, ie tear it down, sell it, and lobby city govt for a new subsidized death star.

It's 30 years from now dude. He'd be 94 by then. I don't think you have to worry about that happening.

Ankf00
12-13-06, 11:26 PM
It's 30 years from now dude. He'd be 94 by then. I don't think you have to worry about that happening.

he has sons that run most of the team's operations. Stephen & Junior will still be alive and kicking.

Andrew Longman
12-14-06, 06:41 AM
Sounds like the taxpayers of Texas/Arlington will be getting screwed, but the Cowboys are there most important cultural asset I suppose.;)

They're keeping the famous Cboys hole in the roof. Brilliant. Shadows makes any daytime game almost unwatchable on TV. I remember when the place opened and people complaining about the shadow. The architect had done all this computer modeling to show how it wouldn't be a problem and he was facing lots of questions. Now it becomes a design feature they have replicate:rolleyes:

Players walking through the club sounds cool but I imagine you have be a member to the tune of a zillion dollars a year (not counting the seat license) to get in there.

The new Giants stadium sounds cool. More than a billion dollars. $300M coming from the league. The rest mostly coming from the team. State gets hosed for debt on the existing stadium and road/rail improvements. Could be better but gets the state out of the stadium biz. Stadium lighting will change the exterior from Blue to Green for Jets games.

TKGAngel
12-14-06, 07:39 AM
What you know about Marine Midland Arena!!!!:thumbup:

Miss the Aud.

They want to turn the Aud into a Bass Pro. :thumdown:

The new Giants stadium sounds cool. More than a billion dollars. $300M coming from the league. The rest mostly coming from the team. State gets hosed for debt on the existing stadium and road/rail improvements. Could be better but gets the state out of the stadium biz. Stadium lighting will change the exterior from Blue to Green for Jets games.

Maybe when they build the new stadium or tear down the old, they'll find Jimmy Hoffa?

Stu
12-14-06, 08:51 AM
he has sons that run most of the team's operations. Stephen & Junior will still be alive and kicking.

Yea I know, companies get handed down. But you didnt mention that.

Anyway, as far as the seats in the upper decks being so far back, don't worry about it. Isn't that what the giant videotrons are for?

Andrew Longman
12-14-06, 09:53 AM
Just noticed the illustration in post 1 has players on the field and sidelines but no one in the stands. Ticket prices too high? Only the luxury sky boxes are filled with high rollers.

Looking at these new designs we are getting closer to the vision of the future described in Rollerball.

And no, Jimmy Hoffa will never be found. Some folks around here do their job really well.

Ankf00
12-14-06, 11:05 AM
Just noticed the illustration in post 1 has players on the field and sidelines but no one in the stands. Ticket prices too high? Only the luxury sky boxes are filled with high rollers.

considering how far over-budget this palace is, I bet PSL's are priced sky high.

ferrarigod
12-14-06, 01:43 PM
They want to turn the Aud into a Bass Pro. :thumdown:

I heard about that. I remember sitting in the top seats when we'd go visit grandparents in Buffalo. Those seats were about the most insane thing. Almost pure vertical. Bass pro shops stinks, but it has to be better than tearing it down. . . . .i think.

They should only play in the Aud when they wear the 'new' old yellow/blue 3rd jerseys!

trauma1
12-14-06, 01:48 PM
thing is i see the nfl going to pay per view, this nfl channel crap pisses me off, it's just the tip of the ice berg, ,

Tifosi24
12-14-06, 02:11 PM
thing is i see the nfl going to pay per view, this nfl channel crap pisses me off, it's just the tip of the ice berg, ,

Random post award winner for 2006.

Steve99
12-14-06, 04:13 PM
They're adding 20,000+ seats and reducing the number of toilets/urinals. That should be fun. :irked:

TrueBrit
12-14-06, 04:16 PM
They're adding 20,000+ seats and reducing the number of toilets/urinals. That should be fun. :irked:

Been to the "new" Soldier Field? The geniuses that designed that monstrosity made sure to have the men's rooms entrance the only exit too...really BRILLIANT foresight....:shakehead

Insomniac
12-14-06, 04:35 PM

They won't risk the Anti-Trust exemption. Now maybe, they could still show local market games for free and PPV the rest, but I seriously doubt Congress would let that happen without a hearing.

In reality though, the NFL Nework would need to grow substantially. Right now, the owners are basically taking their money and handing it to the players. I don't think they are profitting from the games yet. I don't know if the networs even do, but they use it as a promotional vehicle for their other programming.

For the owners to take it all in house, they would need to generate substantial profits to continue to pay the players. The entire salary cap is supported by TV revenue right now.

Insomniac
12-14-06, 04:40 PM
I wonder what the game rules are if that happens? I imagine they'll raise JJtron an extra 25-50 ft when construction time comes...

If they kept the sales tax, that's a lot of $$ that can be invested in the city, opportunity cost. Also there's the debt service that's not considered in the discussion. If the ballpark's any indication it won't be generating much property tax revenue, if at all, and then they're just giving away a $1B investment in the end.

I'm not sure, but if it's a re-kick, imagine the possibilities to run out the clock. ;)

In order to pay for the stadium, in November 2004, Arlington voters approved a tax increase to help Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones build the $650 million stadium in the North Texas city. Voters approved a measure that would raise the city sales tax by a half-cent, hotel occupancy tax by 2 percent, and car rental tax by 5 percent.

I assume it's only a temporary increase. Voters show an incredible knack in helping billionaires build stadiums that they reap the rewards from, but not really helping the regular people.

Ankf00
12-14-06, 05:39 PM
I assume it's only a temporary increase. Voters show an incredible knack in helping billionaires build stadiums that they reap the rewards from, but not really helping the regular people.

The hilarity of it all is that JJ's a land developer these days, yet developed nothing around Texas Stadium all those years in Irving, after all competition for "entertainment" dollars is bad.

Meanwhile Irving on its own developed Las Colinas, a "downtown" area w/ immediate access to DFW and hosts corporate HQ for 4 fortune 500 co's including Verizon & Exxon Mobil. Plano has a pretty nice list of corporate HQ's too. Both are part of the DART rail plan.

Arlington? A ballpark, six flags, and a GM assy plant is about all they have to show for the past 10+ years... But hey, they'll have a pretty new stadium utilized about 9-12 times a year surrounded by parking lots. Hooray!

Wheel-Nut
12-14-06, 06:08 PM
hey, they'll have a pretty new stadium utilized about 9-12 times a year surrounded by parking lots. Hooray!

TMS better not piss off the earl . . . .

Wheel-Nut
12-14-06, 06:13 PM
The Cowboys are adding an innovative design element to the Stadium with a one-of-a-kind center-hung video board. It hangs 110-feet above the field from the arches, but here is what will be exciting to fans: It will stretch between the 20 yard lines, meaning the sideline boards will span 60 yards. So the fans sitting in the upper decks will have what amounts to a larger-than life game being played directly in front of them if they choose not to look down at the field, giving them an unprecedented benefit up top.

And this high-tech video experience doesn’t exclude those fans sitting at both ends of the stadium, since there will be two 48-foot wide boards facing them to enhance their game-day experience.

What kind of air can an NFL punter / kicker put under a ball?

devilmaster
12-14-06, 07:19 PM
What kind of air can a Lions quarterback put under a moonball?

fixed it for ya ;)

Insomniac
12-15-06, 09:29 AM
What kind of air can an NFL punter / kicker put under a ball?

I remember reading that last year Josh Miller's punts were hitting the ceiling of the Patriots' indoor practice facility.

Here's the information on its size:

The 80,000 sq. ft. membrane-covered facility has a sidewall height of 45' and an 85' peak height to accommodate all types of drills, including special teams.

racermike
12-15-06, 02:22 PM
'exawatt planetary varporizing laser'

Hey, that could come in handy if an asteroid gets to close. :)

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/346/trapgi7.jpg

trauma1
12-15-06, 02:32 PM
So how much is good ole Jerry poning up, tax payers gett scrwed again , and the sad part is most will not be able to afford a ticket to every watch a game. It's BS that thses team owners get new stadiums on the tax payer dime, Miller Park is still hard to swallow, i live in a county south of Milwaukee 30 miles away and we are getting taxed for Miller Park, good ol BUd, " build me a new stadium or i'm moving" Selig. and this when he was the commish, the team owners are a cartel:flame:

FTG
12-15-06, 03:00 PM
It's Texas. Taxes for schools bad. Taxes for football stadiums good. Wouldn't surprise me if Houston tears down their almost new stadium and builds one ten feet bigger.

Ankf00
12-15-06, 05:00 PM
while I agree football's absurdly prioritized, property taxes fund schools here. sales & rental taxes don't.

Stu
12-16-06, 12:52 AM
doublepost

Stu
12-16-06, 12:53 AM
It's Texas. Taxes for schools bad. Taxes for football stadiums good. Wouldn't surprise me if Houston tears down their almost new stadium and builds one ten feet bigger.

but in Texas, Taxes that are for high school football programs and stadiums are good. :)

Insomniac
12-16-06, 11:38 AM
So how much is good ole Jerry poning up, tax payers gett scrwed again , and the sad part is most will not be able to afford a ticket to every watch a game. It's BS that thses team owners get new stadiums on the tax payer dime, Miller Park is still hard to swallow, i live in a county south of Milwaukee 30 miles away and we are getting taxed for Miller Park, good ol BUd, " build me a new stadium or i'm moving" Selig. and this when he was the commish, the team owners are a cartel:flame:

I don't understand this "taxpayers get screwed" mentality. It was put to a vote and the majority ok'd it.