PDA

View Full Version : Star Racer - spoilers!

jonovision_man
12-13-06, 10:17 AM
If you haven't watched it and plan to, don't read this post...

I was surprised by their pick. Lorenzo seemed so much faster, consistently, he put the boots to everyone. The only time he faltered was in the rain, when he didn't manage to adjust to the conditions. But Devin never did top the timesheets that I can recall, he's got a ways to go, somewhat of an unproven entity in that respect.

Regardless, I hope he does well! I see myself watching more Star Mazda than usual next year to see how he does. :)

PT was a hoot BTW... I can't recall the exact quote but it was something like this guy could be the next "f***ing Senna!"

jono

devilmaster
12-13-06, 12:39 PM
I am happy with the pick.

Its true Devin wasn't on the top of the time sheets at any time, but he was always up there, near the top.

I think, in the end, it came down to potential. Lorenzo was the quickest all through the show, but he was a known quantity. He has raced in barber dodge against the likes of Varsha's kid, and i don't believe he set the world on fire there.

Same for Kyle Herder. He had a season of Formula BMW. Chris Green, Stevie Malenka, Phillipe all have formula experience. Hunt had sedan experience.

Devin had no real experience in formula cars (if any at all), and he was only a few 10ths off for most of the competition. His only true fault was that he failed miserably on his first attempt at the skid pad, and was really angry and bummed about it, but got some coaching, gave it another attempt, then did fine.

He's young and quiet, unassuming, and seems to be a nice kid. Kinda reminds me of Greg Moore, and it will be interesting to see how well he does.

If they plan to continue the show, (and i hope they do) I really suggest they change the format a bit. Of the original 16, of which 9 were karters and 7 were 'outside' racers, the end saw 5 karters with various formula experience, a street stock racer who was off the pace, and a young karter who finally won it all. Give everyone 3 full days before you start giving them the boot. Its not really a competition if you're cutting people the on the first day where some of them are just learning heel-toe while some of the group have actual racing experience. If I had been selected for the show, I was planning to run down to barber for a 3 or 5 day to get some experience under my belt. I was surprised to see others who were in the show didn't do that.

In the end, congrats to Devin. I suspect we might hear of Lorenzo again, I would hope someone would pick him up.

pferrf1
12-13-06, 01:39 PM
I am happy with the pick.

Its true Devin wasn't on the top of the time sheets at any time, but he was always up there, near the top.

I think, in the end, it came down to potential. Lorenzo was the quickest all through the show, but he was a known quantity. He has raced in barber dodge against the likes of Varsha's kid, and i don't believe he set the world on fire there.

Same for Kyle Herder. He had a season of Formula BMW. Chris Green, Stevie Malenka, Phillipe all have formula experience. Hunt had sedan experience.

Devin had no real experience in formula cars (if any at all), and he was only a few 10ths off for most of the competition. His only true fault was that he failed miserably on his first attempt at the skid pad, and was really angry and bummed about it, but got some coaching, gave it another attempt, then did fine.

He's young and quiet, unassuming, and seems to be a nice kid. Kinda reminds me of Greg Moore, and it will be interesting to see how well he does.

If they plan to continue the show, (and i hope they do) I really suggest they change the format a bit. Of the original 16, of which 9 were karters and 7 were 'outside' racers, the end saw 5 karters with various formula experience, a street stock racer who was off the pace, and a young karter who finally won it all. Give everyone 3 full days before you start giving them the boot. Its not really a competition if you're cutting people the on the first day where some of them are just learning heel-toe while some of the group have actual racing experience. If I had been selected for the show, I was planning to run down to barber for a 3 or 5 day to get some experience under my belt. I was surprised to see others who were in the show didn't do that.

In the end, congrats to Devin. I suspect we might hear of Lorenzo again, I would hope someone would pick him up.

I agree with fromat changes.

However, the competitors knew they were getting a shot on the show well beforehand and could have taken the opportunity to get some racing school time in.

jonovision_man
12-13-06, 02:49 PM

I didn't know that...! That certainly changes my perspective.

Definitely agree with you on the format changes. In addition to not cutting so quickly, I'd have liked to see them get more car time. Maybe they do a week of racing school followed by a week of competition with cuts? I felt like at the end, I knew Lorenzo was fast, but Devin was an unknown quantity.

jono

devilmaster
12-13-06, 03:13 PM
I didn't know that...! That certainly changes my perspective.

I google'd around looking and found most of the info. It definitely changed my outlook on the competition.

mandarino - http://www.skipbarber.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=1510
Herder - http://web.mac.com/kherder/iWeb/kyleherder.com/Formula-BMW-USA-Results.html
Malanka - http://www.racerchicks.com/racers/malanka.html
Green - http://www.tomax7.com/clients/chris_green.htm
Gelinas - http://www.racecar.com/story.asp?NewsID=7338 (apparently, he used to race for Gelles AND finished behind Legge)

devilmaster
12-14-06, 10:13 PM
Jono - I think I need to make a correction before someone joins and makes a 500 word BS essay about it.

Devin does has formula experience from Bridgestone academy.

For the first time in a long time yesterday, I posted at CW - cause I read the star racer thread in there and felt to make a few points. This guy joins and makes his first post calling the judges and me out. :rofl: I'm included with DD, PT and KL. (I want one of those star racer jackets they gave the drivers)

So if you want a good laugh, check this out. http://www.champcarfanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?p=838938&postcount=470

Bosses, I assume that uptownguy may find me here and start posting. Just a warning. ;)

Padre
12-14-06, 10:37 PM
the score still stands at uptownguy 0 | devilmaster 1 :laugh:

jonovision_man
12-15-06, 10:08 AM
Jono - I think I need to make a correction before someone joins and makes a 500 word BS essay about it.

For the first time in a long time yesterday, I posted at CW - cause I read the star racer thread in there and felt to make a few points. This guy joins and makes his first post calling the judges and me out. :rofl: I'm included with DD, PT and KL. (I want one of those star racer jackets they gave the drivers)

So if you want a good laugh, check this out. http://www.champcarfanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?p=838938&postcount=470

Bosses, I assume that uptownguy may find me here and start posting. Just a warning. ;)

Funny stuff. :)

Whatever you are doing that might encourage a migration to OC from ... there... STOP! :)

jono

Sean O'Gorman
12-15-06, 10:19 AM

Ugh, what an ass. I'm guessing he is either 1) one of Devin's friends, or 2) an employee at the Bridgestone school.

devilmaster
12-15-06, 12:30 PM
I noticed that he has responded. :rofl:

I'm a little busy today helping a friend out drywalling his kitchen redo, so i'll have to jump back in later and keep it up.

As bugs bunny might say - 'I thought today was going to be a boring day' :D

[edit]well, I had a couple minutes so I jumped back in to the fun :D

jonovision_man
07-21-07, 12:43 PM
Just thought I'd bump this thread... watching the Star Mazda race from Toronto.

Devin is right up there! I was surprised to find him 3rd, moved up to 2nd on a ballsy pass, and even put a move out there for the lead. Looking great, they picked a good one it seems!

It's not over just yet, so watch, he'll wreck or something... :)

jono

jonovision_man
07-21-07, 08:30 PM
He finished 2nd... :thumbup: Nice job buddy!

Just looked back, he won in Portland too. :thumbup: And is 5th in the championship.

Sure hope to see him in Atlantics pretty soon!

Oh, and Lorenzo who I thought was faster? One win, 9th in the championship...

jono