PDA

View Full Version : Police clock Valpo teen at 142 mph

spinner26
12-12-06, 01:44 PM
VALPARAISO, Ind. -- A teenager charged with driving 142 mph along a four-lane divided highway said he was speeding home so his parents wouldn't be mad at him for being late, police said.

Brandon D. Raap, 16, faces speeding and misdemeanor reckless driving charges and could have his license suspended, police said.
Porter County sheriff's deputies stopped Raap along a rural stretch of U.S. 30 at 12:40 a.m. Saturday after a radar gun clocked his 2004 Subaru Impreza going almost 90 mph faster than the posted 55 mph limit, police said.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061212/LOCAL/612120437

Cam
12-12-06, 01:50 PM
Dumbazz!

Shoulda been on dirt roads. Then he had a good excuse. ;)

Andrew Longman
12-12-06, 02:04 PM
I'm Impressed. I didn't know a Subaru could go that fast. Or that that the standard issue police cruiser could catch up to something that fast.

Side story: A friend of mine is a NJ State Police Detective. Years back when I was still wearing the bag he had a speed trap set up on Rt 80 and a Lamborgini came up doing over 130. As soon as the guy saw the trooper he hit the brakes and parked it on the shoulder. My friend was stunned at the brakes on the thing because the driver parked it just 100 feet or so past where he was set up on the median.

He let him off with a warning simply because he appreciated that he hadn't needed to chase him down at high speed. No kidding.

KLang
12-12-06, 02:15 PM
I'm Impressed. I didn't know a Subaru could go that fast.

I wondered about that as well. It must have been the turbo model?

nrc
12-12-06, 02:22 PM
Probably a WRX STI - 300 hp will push a brick up to around 150.

cameraman
12-12-06, 02:30 PM
What kind of idiot gives their 16 year old son a $34,000 Subaru Impreza WRX STI:shakehead

Tifosi24
12-12-06, 02:42 PM
Probably a WRX STI - 300 hp will push a brick up to around 150.

I think it would have to be the STI, because I believe the standard WRX is governed at around 120, but don't quote me. And about a parent who would give their kid a 34k car at age 16, just go to any private university in the United States and you will see scores of kids whose parents would do that. I think a standard police cruiser can get close to 150, so it doesn't surprise me that he was able to catch up, and with it being Indiana it was probably nice, straight, and flat so no slowing down for curves.

SAdair
12-12-06, 02:55 PM
What kind of idiot gives their 16 year old son a $34,000 Subaru Impreza WRX STI:shakehead

Bobby Rahal

I believe this is what Graham is currently driving. I feel a bit easier driving on the Columbus roads knowing Graham can handle a car at that speed.

ferrarigod
12-12-06, 03:00 PM
I'm Impressed. I didn't know a Subaru could go that fast. Or that that the standard issue police cruiser could catch up to something that fast.

Side story: A friend of mine is a NJ State Police Detective. Years back when I was still wearing the bag he had a speed trap set up on Rt 80 and a Lamborgini came up doing over 130. As soon as the guy saw the trooper he hit the brakes and parked it on the shoulder. My friend was stunned at the brakes on the thing because the driver parked it just 100 feet or so past where he was set up on the median.

He let him off with a warning simply because he appreciated that he hadn't needed to chase him down at high speed. No kidding.

Well now I'll just be drilling the brakes next time I see a cop.

On a side note, I've only seen a police chase once in my life, but the most memorable event happened when a caddy came flying by while i was on my way from FLA to Mid-Ohio for CART. After that the guy in the caddy pulled over, but instead of pulling over, he was actually trying to hide on the shoulder next to a truck that had slowed down with us when we saw the cop coming up from behind. Thank God that Caddy had passed me. I was doing 95-100mph and he passed me like I was going in reverse.

I don't know if the cop noticed it, but it was one of the funniest things I've seen. didn't work, the Caddy zigged and the cop car zagged.

Ankf00
12-12-06, 03:13 PM

$34,000 cars for HS'ers? Quite common at my hs... one tool rolled his 3 series, laid up in the hospital, new one soon after. :shakehead:

Andrew Longman
12-12-06, 03:24 PM
My college roommate's best friend in HS was given a brand new TransAm for graduation (circa Smokey and the Bandit).

Left the road at some unGodly speed on graduation night and the first thing he hit was a tree about 20 feet from the ground. Took out about a half dozen trees before he got to the ground.

They hauled the remains of the car away in a pick up truck.

I know I will be sending Trevor to racing school just to get the curiousity of running fast out of his system and to teach him how to control a car without killing himself and others while he learns.

And he will not be getting more car than he can handle or afford to replace.

(Cripes: Only three years until he is driving. How did that happen?)

oddlycalm
12-12-06, 03:26 PM
I think it would have to be the STI, because I believe the standard WRX is governed at around 120, but don't quote me. For a few bucks the standard WRX can be made to be quite fast.;)

oc

KLang
12-12-06, 03:33 PM
And about a parent who would give their kid a 34k car at age 16, just go to any private university in the United States and you will see scores of kids whose parents would do that.

You don't have to go to a university, just drive by any suburban high school. I can't believe the number of kids around here driving V8 mustangs. Have one right across the street from my house.

<sigh> I didn't drive until I could pay for a car myself.

Wheel-Nut
12-12-06, 04:00 PM
^^Is this your neighbor?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swps-MA06l0

cameraman
12-12-06, 04:10 PM
I didn't drive until I could pay for a car myself. In high school I had to pay what I added to the insurance bill and in college I didn't have one until I was able to earn enough to buy one for myself. Needless to say it didn't cost $34K, more like 1K.

KLang
12-12-06, 04:22 PM
^^Is this your neighbor?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swps-MA06l0

Wrong color. ;) We have had several light poles and trees taken out though. :shakehead

Ankf00
12-12-06, 04:36 PM
We have had several light poles and trees taken out though. :shakehead

bah, who needs $34K? had friends in early 80's Daimler Tanks pulling that off, couldn't have been worth more than $500

Wabbit
12-12-06, 04:54 PM
You should see what the kids around Redmond drive. A lot of MSFT people let their kids drive their BMWs.

A few months ago, a kid up here got his friends to steal his BMW so he could get the insurance money. He wanted a new Aston Martin and figured he would get more from the insurance then he could sell his Beamer for.

Ferdman
12-12-06, 06:23 PM

I guess my dad's that kind of idiot.:\ Got a Porsche 928 back when we lived in NW Indiana.

142 in Valpo? I got him beat. His problem was that he got caught. I wasn't on SR30 like this kid, but nearby on SR35. Hit 145 between LaPorte and Knox with "idiot" dad in the passenger's seat. Was taking him to the hospital to do his rounds. Was it stupid? Yes. Was it fun? Hell yes.

At least this kid in Indiana is alive. This stupid kid wasn't so lucky here in southern California.
WARNING!!!: very graphic photos of the crash sight. Don't click on the photo links if you're the slightest bit squeemish.
http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130003

Wheel-Nut
12-12-06, 06:37 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Al Czervik: Oh, this is the worst-looking hat I ever saw. What, when you buy a hat like this I bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh?

[looks at Judge Smails, who's wearing the same hat]
Al Czervik: Oh, it looks good on you though.

Eagle104
12-12-06, 07:20 PM

some people have more credit than sense.

SteveH
12-12-06, 07:39 PM
some people have more credit than sense.

pretty much describes Valpo - that's where I live:cool:

Cam
12-14-06, 03:55 PM
One very quick Impreza now up for sale. (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061214/LOCAL/612140532) :gomer: