PDA

View Full Version : Bengals to set record?

Pages : [1] 2

Wheel-Nut
12-09-06, 08:19 PM
Are the Bengals going after the Cowboys record for most player arrest in one season? 8 and counting!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16123970/

Ankf00
12-09-06, 09:10 PM
Reggie The Real Deal McNeal was arrested at The Red Door last week over in midtown when he tried to get in after hours

f'ing hilarious... "hey, don't you know who I am?!" :laugh:

nrc
12-09-06, 10:57 PM
It's a shame because Lewis has been doing a fine job of rebuilding the franchise without the need for some of the character risks. Of course, most of these arrests would never get the kind of national attention they're getting if it weren't for Chris Henry and his flurry of arrests.

McNeal has now also been charged with "possession of a dangerous drug".
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/4390213.html

A cigarette located on McNeal at the time of his arrest was submitted for chemical evaluation and tested positive for promethazine, an antihistamine and sedative, Ortiz said, which resulted in the additional charges filed.
This sounds very similar to the Mathias Askew case where he was found "not guilty" and is now suing the Cincinnati police. Without the funny cigarette, but a little back-up charge never hurt.

Insomniac
12-09-06, 11:01 PM
They haven't set it yet? I figured they did and they're setting the bar higher (higher?) at this point.

Insomniac
12-09-06, 11:10 PM
It's a shame because Lewis has been doing a fine job of rebuilding the franchise without the need for some of the character risks. Of course, most of these arrests would never get the kind of national attention they're getting if it weren't for Chris Henry and his flurry of arrests.

While you give Lewis credit, you should hold him partly responsible. Especially with a guy like Chris Henry. When I know how much trouble he got into in Morgantown, the Bengals either knew or could've easily found out but drafted him anyway. They've turned around the team, but they infused some of that talent at the cost of character.

nrc
12-10-06, 12:35 AM
While you give Lewis credit, you should hold him partly responsible. Especially with a guy like Chris Henry. When I know how much trouble he got into in Morgantown, the Bengals either knew or could've easily found out but drafted him anyway. They've turned around the team, but they infused some of that talent at the cost of character.

For now I'm willing to chalk it up to thinking that he could make a difference in these guy's lives. It seemed like it was going to pay off with Henry and Thurman until things blew up last off season. Idle hands... Ahmad Brooks would seem to suggest he hasn't learned but some say that was a management move. We'll see in April.

The tragidy is that they also take a guy like Pollack who is an outstanding individual and he ends up breaking his neck. :(

Tony George
12-10-06, 02:12 AM
Who cares as long as they keep winning!!! :D :gomer:

Stu
12-10-06, 02:13 AM
I thought this thread was gonna be about them setting a record for number of people on the bungles bandwagon.

Sean O'Gorman
12-10-06, 11:43 AM
I thought this thread was gonna be about them setting a record for number of people on the bungles bandwagon.

Weren't you the one who said two weeks ago you were going to become a Colts fan? :shakehead

Stu
12-10-06, 12:29 PM
Weren't you the one who said two weeks ago you were going to become a Colts fan? :shakehead

I said I wanted to go to a Colts game cuz I actually wanted to see a football team I like win in person. Never said anything about dropping the Browns.

dando
12-10-06, 02:07 PM
For now I'm willing to chalk it up to thinking that he could make a difference in these guy's lives. It seemed like it was going to pay off with Henry and Thurman until things blew up last off season. Idle hands... Ahmad Brooks would seem to suggest he hasn't learned but some say that was a management move. We'll see in April.

The tragidy is that they also take a guy like Pollack who is an outstanding individual and he ends up breaking his neck. :(

Exactly. Prayers for him and some good news this week. :thumbup:

-Kevin

dando
12-10-06, 02:12 PM

@ least we have one. :gomer:

-Kevin

Dr. Corkski
12-10-06, 03:10 PM
Bungles wearing orange jumpsuits, err, jerseys against the California Penal League All-Stars. :rofl:

trauma1
12-12-06, 12:51 PM
Now on the docket …

O'NealDeltha O'Neal is the eighth Bengal to be arrested since December 2005. Here's a list of the players and their problems:
Player Pos. Charges
Deltha O'Neal CB Driving while intoxicated
Reggie McNeal WR Resisting arrest
Matthias Askew DT Resisting arrest
Eric Steinbach G Boating under the influence
Chris Henry WR x-Total of five
Frostee Rucker DE Spousal battery
A.J. Nicholson LB Burglary, grand theft
Odell Thurman LB Driving while intoxicated
x-unlawful transaction with a minor (three counts), speeding, operating a vehicle under the influence, felony possession of a concealed firearm, possession of marijuana
The Cincinnati Bengals head

nrc
12-14-06, 06:39 PM
Exactly. Prayers for him and some good news this week. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Pollack will require surgery on his neck, which will probably mean the end of his career. :(
http://sports.myway.com/news/12142006/v4924.html

Ankf00
12-14-06, 07:14 PM
wow that sucks, he was a hoss. here's to a successful operation :(

trauma1
12-15-06, 10:22 AM
Tank Johnson of the Bears arrested for gun possesion, while he's on probation on gun related charges, brillant, someof these players just have no sense of reality,

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2697869

Andrew Longman
12-15-06, 01:23 PM

Is Lewis GM? Whoever it is did indeed willfully ignore character on draft day.

The thing to few GMs of all sports is that character does not diminish athletic ability. And character is not something an athlete is suddenly going to get once he signs a multimillion dollar pro contract.

If a GM, coach want to put up with this crap, and fans will cheer these idiots anyway, then I guess it doesn't matter, but I think it should.

TKGAngel
12-15-06, 01:36 PM

The thing to few GMs of all sports is that character does not diminish athletic ability. And character is not something an athlete is suddenly going to get once he signs a multimillion dollar pro contract.

If a GM, coach want to put up with this crap, and fans will cheer these idiots anyway, then I guess it doesn't matter, but I think it should.

Character should matter with professional athletes. Whether they like it or not, they serve as role models to the impressionable youth of America. I'm not saying that players shouldn't be signed for having 5 children with 5 different baby mamas; but if the player's got a rap sheet longer than his arm, maybe he should have a character clause built into his contract.

I wonder how much of a distraction the Cincy arrests have been in the locker room this year.

Ankf00
12-15-06, 01:38 PM

I wonder if things change without Mara :\

Andrew Longman
12-15-06, 01:57 PM
I wonder if things change without Mara :\

Sons John Mara and Steve Tisch seem to pretty much share their dads' values. GM Accorsi used to be more careful of than he has been lately, but player goofiness seems to still be contained to the field and lockeroom.

Keith Hamilton found smoking a joint in his car a few years ago is the only bust I can remember any Giant getting into and Hamilton was a really solid teammate otherwise.

I think the real question is around who replace Acorssi who is retiring this year. The Giants have always resisted giving the GM job to the coach and I suspect Coughlin will be gone too.

G.
12-15-06, 02:08 PM
Tank Johnson of the Bears arrested for gun possesion, while he's on probation on gun related charges, brillant, someof these players just have no sense of reality,

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2697869
This isn't passing the smell test. Something else is up.

There have been complaints against his referring to "animal cruelty" and other unspecified complaints.

I think they were looking for something else, but only got the guns and the dude with the pot. Or it's Gurnee's way of saying "We don't like yer kind 'round here."

Illinois does not have a long history of going after illegal gun ownership. It's always an added charge.

trauma1
12-15-06, 02:11 PM
This isn't passing the smell test. Something else is up.

There have been complaints against his referring to "animal cruelty" and other unspecified complaints.

I think they were looking for something else, but only got the guns and the dude with the pot. Or it's Gurnee's way of saying "We don't like yer kind 'round here."

Illinois does not have a long history of going after illegal gun ownership. It's always an added charge.

i 1st heard on espn 100 chicago and they at first reported the search was done by the DEA and thus far i have'nt heard anything otherwise, two people were taken in custody at the house, johnson turned himself in later

G.
12-15-06, 02:20 PM
i 1st heard on espn 100 chicago and they at first reported the search was done by the DEA and thus far i have'nt heard anything otherwise, two people were taken in custody at the house, johnson turned himself in laterGurnee police and officers from the Northern Illinois Police Alarm System descended on the home about 11 a.m. with shields and armored vehicles, alarming neighbors, some of whom police had asked to evacuate the neighborhood.

An explosion was heard, rattling neighbors' homes, which police said was used as a diversionary tactic because of the threat of weapons being used during the raid.

"We knew there were weapons in the house . . . we also knew there were more than likely people in the house so we did not know what we would encounter," Jones said. "The officers took the necessary precautions for their safety and the safety of the neighborhood."

need to register? (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-0612150151dec15,1,7905707.story?coll=chi-news-hed)

trauma1
12-15-06, 02:22 PM
included were 2 assault weapons, guns were loaded with 2 kids in the house and the guns were "easlt accessible, investigation began in Nov, so something else is up, they went in with a SWAT TEAM

Johnson, 25, was at Halas Hall in Lake Forest just before 11 a.m. when police, backed by several armored vehicles, converged on his home, battered down the door and rushed inside to confiscate three rifles and three handguns, authorities said.

Johnson, who had been convicted of a misdemeanor weapons offense last year in Cook County, was charged with illegally possessing weapons without a valid firearm owners identification card, Gurnee and Lake County officials said.

The guns -- which included two military-style assault weapons -- were found in several rooms of the two-story brick home on a secluded side street. A variety of ammunition also was found in the home that Johnson shares with his girlfriend, their two young daughters and a friend, officials said.

ERRANT TANK
His arrest Thursday wasn't the first time Tank Johnson has been in trouble with the law.
FEB. 12, 2006
Incident: Battery, resisting arrest, probation violation.
Resolution: Officer Johnson scuffled with declined to pursue prosecution.

JUNE 2005
Incident: Loaded handgun found in truck.
Resolution: Pleaded guilty; was sentenced to 18 months of probation, 40 hours of community service and a $2,500 fine.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/174082,CST-SPT-tank15.article

trauma1
12-15-06, 05:29 PM
Bear's sitting Johnson out this weekend

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2698648

Insomniac
12-16-06, 11:40 AM

I believe Mike Brown is the GM, but I would be surprised if he gets the guys with no feedback from Lewis.

nrc
12-16-06, 11:11 PM
I believe Mike Brown is the GM, but I would be surprised if he gets the guys with no feedback from Lewis.
Mike Brown is GM. The common complaint used to be that coaches didn't have enough control over personnel decisions. The rumor is that things have improved in that regard with Lewis. Lewis probably had a lot of say in the draft picks although the rumor is that he wasn't happy about the Ahmad Brooks pick in the supplimental draft.

G.
12-17-06, 01:02 PM
Bear's sitting Johnson out this weekend

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2698648The dude that got busted at Tank's house with the pot, was shot and killed yesterday morning.

Holy crap.

Bears' Johnson harassed before pal slain in club
Player's friend shot at club 2 days after both were arrested

By Charles Sheehan, David Heinzmann and John Mullin
Tribune staff reporters
Published December 16, 2006, 11:00 PM CST

Chicago police were searching for a man who was harassing Bears player Terry "Tank" Johnson on a nightclub dance floor Saturday morning, prompting a fight that ended in the death of Willie B. Posey, Johnson's bodyguard and boyhood friend, sources said.

Less than a day after they had appeared in court on drug and gun charges, Posey and Johnson were partying at the Ice Bar in the River North neighborhood when a single gunshot hit Posey, 26.

Witnesses told police that a man repeatedly bumped into Johnson, said a source familiar with the investigation. Posey intervened, striking the man, and both fell to the floor. When club security pulled them apart, the other man pulled a gun from his pants and shot Posey, the witnesses reported.

Sources said Johnson initially denied being at the bar, but he changed his story as he talked with police at Northwestern Memorial hospital early Saturday and later in the day at his Gurnee home. Police said he was not a suspect.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-061216johnson,1,2157223.story?coll=chi-news-hed

trauma1
12-18-06, 11:57 AM
news here on ESPN here in Chicago is that the Bears are going to release Tank today. Angelo is real pissed

Insomniac
12-18-06, 12:03 PM
news here on ESPN here in Chicago is that the Bears are going to release Tank today. Angelo is real pissed

I wonder if he'll even clear waivers.

ChampcarShark
12-18-06, 12:09 PM
:shakehead

We need to reshape the NFL.

Insomniac
12-18-06, 01:04 PM

I don't think it's possible. As long as the guy has talent, someone will take a chance. They also would have a hard time colluding to exclude a player.

trauma1
12-18-06, 01:44 PM

after seeing the fight between the Knicks and Denver, the NBA still needs to work on thier image also. Carmelo what a coward after seeing him sucker punch somebody.

trauma1
12-18-06, 02:30 PM
Stern's actions,

Denver's Carmelo Anthony, the NBA's leading scorer, was suspended 15 games for sucker-punching the Knicks' Mardy Collins. Denver teammate J.R. Smith and New York's Nate Robinson also received stiff penalties from the league -- 10-game suspensions.and both clubs were fined $500,000

is there any other franchise in sports as f'ed up as the Knicks,
unbeivable what Tomas ans the other Knick excuse is

They just wanted to embarrass us," Robinson said. "It was a slap in the face to us. As a team, as a franchise, we weren't going to let that happen. A clean, hard foul happened and after that it went down from there."

and Isiah's excuse, no fine YET
I just said to him, 'You know, you're up 20, you're up 19 with a minute and half to go, you and (Marcus) Camby really shouldn't be in the game right now," Thomas said. "We had surrendered, those guys shouldn't even be in the game at that point in time."

Insomniac
12-18-06, 04:01 PM
Stern's actions,

Denver's Carmelo Anthony, the NBA's leading scorer, was suspended 15 games for sucker-punching the Knicks' Mardy Collins. Denver teammate J.R. Smith and New York's Nate Robinson also received stiff penalties from the league -- 10-game suspensions.and both clubs were fined $500,000

They just wanted to embarrass us," Robinson said. "It was a slap in the face to us. As a team, as a franchise, we weren't going to let that happen. A clean, hard foul happened and after that it went down from there."

I just said to him, 'You know, you're up 20, you're up 19 with a minute and half to go, you and (Marcus) Camby really shouldn't be in the game right now," Thomas said. "We had surrendered, those guys shouldn't even be in the game at that point in time."

The flagrant foul was uncalled for, but as a separate issue, the Nuggets did show poor sportsmanship (and probably stupid coaching). It's not an excuse or reason to justify the foul, but it is also true.

Spicoli
12-18-06, 04:52 PM
Stern's actions,

Isaiaiah is a dick.

Carmello is a prick.

nba is just stoopid anymore.

bengals over colts tonight., there. i said it. :p

Wheel-Nut
12-18-06, 05:00 PM
Isaiaiah is a dick.

Carmello is a prick.

Will either defense show up?

Spicoli
12-18-06, 05:08 PM
Will either defense show up?

Manning the baby can't win the big one.

at least dan fouts had a beard and some balls.:shakehead

Tony George
12-18-06, 05:43 PM
Isaiaiah is a dick.

Carmello is a prick.

Looks like you have finally seen the light! The Bengals are on a roll, brother. :)

Spicoli
12-18-06, 06:26 PM
Looks like you have finally seen the light! The Bengals are on a roll, brother. :)

I am just soooo sick of everyone kissing peyton's ass around here.

what's he done?:confused:

Tony George
12-19-06, 01:42 AM

DOH! At least they are still leading the wildcard race. Slim margin for error in the next two games! :cry: WTF was that blue thing? That gomer creature was making inappropriate pelvic thrusts towards the Bengals players after one of their touchdowns.

WickerBill
12-19-06, 06:37 AM
His name is "Blue" and he's...a.... errm.... horse. Blue, furry, fat.... horse.

Spicoli
12-19-06, 09:33 AM
His name is "Blue" and he's...a.... errm.... horse. Blue, furry, fat.... horse.

Names after ...o h nevermind.:yuck:

anyway - good on the Colts, a well played game and they took my :antijinx: bait! ;)

Tony George
12-19-06, 03:26 PM
Maybe this guy can help! :gomer:

http://www.jeeeb.us/jeeebypages/thebibble/085_whodey.htm

nrc
12-19-06, 06:43 PM
DOH! At least they are still leading the wildcard race. Slim margin for error in the next two games! :cry: Actually I think the Broncos are ahead of them in the wildcard seed now. Unfortunately I think they're a long shot to make the playoffs with the situation on their offensive line.

racermike
12-19-06, 06:50 PM
AP Wire, December 19th 2006

In a shocking turn of events, no Cincinnati Bengals have been arrested today. Coach Marvin Lewis was quoted as saying, "They have been a dissapointment to themselves, their team, and their city. We have expectations for our players, and today the entire team failed to meet those expectations.". Wide Reciever Chris Henry, who has had many run ins with the law since becoming a professional, said, "I really would like to apologize. I realize that the entire city and even fans across the country have expectations for me, and I have failed to live up to them.", before pounding four beers and taking off in a car he hotwired in a Macy's parking lot. Fans across the internet say that while they are dissapointed, they have no doubt that their team is simply a victim of the system, and that they are doing their best to uphold their franchise's image.

racermike
01-22-07, 06:26 PM
#9 !!!!!!!!!

It is the off-season for the Bengals, but that does not mean they still cant be arrested for something.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Aqi9yyAXj2PWNBb900OKna9DubYF?slug=ap-bengals-arrest&prov=ap&type=lgns

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070122/capt.co10301221928.bengals_arrest_football_co103.j pg
This undated booking mug released by Boone County Sheriff's Department shows Cincinnati Bengals cornerback Johnathan Joseph. Joseph was arrested early Monday, Jan. 22, 2007 in northern Kentucky and charged with possession of marijuana, the ninth Cincinnati Bengals player arrested in the last nine months.

Tony George
01-22-07, 07:48 PM
There have been more Bengals arrested than games won this past season! :eek: But look on the bright side- only one player has been arrested so far this year!!! :tony: :tony:

Sean O'Gorman
06-18-07, 07:40 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bengalsarrest&prov=ap&type=lgns

You stay classy, Morgantown

Insomniac
06-18-07, 08:52 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bengalsarrest&prov=ap&type=lgns

You stay classy, Morgantown

Yeah, it's all former WVU players... :rolleyes:

chop456
04-03-08, 02:25 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/04/03/henry.bengals.ap/index.html

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry has been accused of punching an 18-year-old man in the face and breaking his car window with a beer bottle, according to court documents filed Wednesday.

Henry, 24, was charged with misdemeanor assault and criminal damaging in the Monday incident in Cincinnati. A warrant for his arrest was issued in Hamilton County Municipal Court.

The player has had a string of problems with police. He most recently was in court last week after being ticketed for driving with expired Kentucky license plates. He paid $149, according to the Hamilton County Municipal Court records.

Henry, who was arrested four times during a 14-month span, was suspended by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell for the first half of last season for repeatedly violating the league's conduct policy.

Nice work. :thumbup:

nrc
04-03-08, 03:12 AM
The Bengals don't even lead the division right now.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/nfl/arrests.html

dando
04-03-08, 10:42 AM
Just goes to show that you can take the player out of WVU, but you can't take the WVU out of the player. :gomer: :shakehead

Top that off with CJ's rambling, incoherent interview on SC yesterday:

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3326416&categoryId=2459789

:saywhat: :cry:

-Kevin

Insomniac
04-03-08, 11:48 AM
Just goes to show that you can take the player out of WVU, but you can't take the WVU out of the player. :gomer: :shakehead

They were turds before they got to WVU!

Ohhh and *cough*Maurice Clarett*cough*. :D

Sean O'Gorman
04-03-08, 11:57 AM
I'm starting to think that Ryan Perrilloux has the potential to exceed Clarett, Henry, and Pacman. :shakehead

dando
04-03-08, 11:57 AM
They were turds before they got to WVU!

Ohhh and *cough*Maurice Clarett*cough*. :D

Anyone who seeks counsel from Jim Brown is a lost cause on the spot. :saywhat: :shakehead

Bengals release Henry:

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6709

What I question is why this didn't happen sooner. @ the time they claimed they couldn't under the CBA. What changed? The Steelers dumped Cedric Wilson after his assault charge, but didn't release James Harrison. Hypocritical?

-Kevin

dando
04-03-08, 11:58 AM
I'm starting to think that Ryan Perrilloux has the potential to exceed Clarett, Henry, and Pacman. :shakehead

You forgot Joey Belle. :saywhat: ;)

-Kevin

nrc
04-03-08, 01:29 PM
What I question is why this didn't happen sooner. @ the time they claimed they couldn't under the CBA. What changed?

It wasn't the CBA, it was league rules. Until the spring meetings last season teams could not discipline a player for off-field conduct until the the League had acted. That was changed last spring as part of the player conduct push.

dando
04-03-08, 01:34 PM
It wasn't the CBA, it was league rules. Until the spring meetings last season teams could not discipline a player for off-field conduct until the the League had acted. That was changed last spring as part of the player conduct push.

Gotcha. I missed that tidbit. I just thought it was Goodell using his Czar powers to waterboard rule breakers. Add a WR or two to the draft wish list now, as well as a DT, RB..... :irked: :( But Ocho said he's going to report as required, right? Or did he say something else? I couldn't quite follow along with this cogent discourse during SC yesterday....

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3326416&categoryId=2459789

:saywhat:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
04-03-08, 02:09 PM
What are the odds Jerry Jones signs Henry? What's the over/under on number of weeks until the signing? :D

racermike
04-03-08, 02:30 PM
Wonder how Shaun Alexander is gonna feel being a Bengal (which is where I think he has a good chance of ending up once the Seahawks release him on June 1st)

He, Carson Palmer, and TJ Whosyomama will be the only ones never serving any time to the man.

dando
04-03-08, 02:48 PM
Wonder how Shaun Alexander is gonna feel being a Bengal (which is where I think he has a good chance of ending up once the Seahawks release him on June 1st)

He, Carson Palmer, and TJ Whosyomama will be the only ones never serving any time to the man.

Doubtful as they have four RBs...unless Irons or Perry can't return from injuries. Last I heard both are questionable. However, we already have one broken down RB, I don't think we need two. :irked:

-Kevin

dando
04-03-08, 02:49 PM
What are the odds Jerry Jones signs Henry? What's the over/under on number of weeks until the signing? :D

Won't matter. If convicted he'll be in jail for a year or more and then suspended for a season by Goodell. His NFL career is over. Good.

-Kevin

Insomniac
04-03-08, 03:14 PM
Anyone who seeks counsel from Jim Brown is a lost cause on the spot. :saywhat: :shakehead

Bengals release Henry:

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6709

What I question is why this didn't happen sooner. @ the time they claimed they couldn't under the CBA. What changed? The Steelers dumped Cedric Wilson after his assault charge, but didn't release James Harrison. Hypocritical?

-Kevin

The CBA did change to allow them to dump a guy for off-field issues. They'd have to wait, pretend it was peformance related and then cut the guy. That's why Mike Brown and Dan Rooney can come out and say they're dumping a guy for being a turd now.

Definitely hypocritical. Peter King talks about mitigating circumstances and inknown details, but I can't imagine anything that would make it OK. After all, Harrison's charges weren't dropped.

dando
04-03-08, 03:32 PM
After all, Harrison's charges weren't dropped.

They have been now:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3327255

In Wilson's case, his ex has requested that the charges be dropped and said that it was a misunderstanding, and he didn't really harm her.

-Kevin

nrc
04-03-08, 04:29 PM
Won't matter. If convicted he'll be in jail for a year or more and then suspended for a season by Goodell. His NFL career is over. Good.

-Kevin

A year in jail for misdemeanor assault and criminal damaging? Probably not. My guess is that his lawyers will pay off the victim and the charges will be dropped.

Good riddance. I sure hope Chad will grow up in time for next season. :shakehead

dando
04-03-08, 04:32 PM
A year in jail for misdemeanor assault and criminal damaging? Probably not. My guess is that his lawyers will pay off the victim and the charges will be dropped.

Good riddance. I sure hope Chad will grow up in time for next season. :shakehead

OK, mebbe I was overly hopeful...mebbe 6 mos. My guess is with his history he's going to get the max, assuming the charges stick. In any case Goodell is going to make an example of him. He may get banned outright.

-Kevin

Insomniac
04-03-08, 04:46 PM
They have been now:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3327255

In Wilson's case, his ex has requested that the charges be dropped and said that it was a misunderstanding, and he didn't really harm her.

-Kevin

Ha! I imagine Wilson's will be too. He apologized right after and said he was seeking counseling.

Insomniac
05-02-08, 08:49 PM
Here's a shocker:

Indianapolis Colts wide receiver Marvin Harrison is under investigation in his hometown of Philadelphia in a shooting that took place earlier this week, a source close to the investigation told Anthony Gargano of Philadelphia's WIP Radio.

The source said the alleged victim came into the bar, Playmakers, around 5 p.m. and engaged in an argument with Harrison, who was at the bar. The victim then left the bar, heading to his car, with Harrison following. Gunfire broke out, the victim was hit in the hand, and a young girl was slightly injured by flying glass from a car that apparently was hit by a bullet.

Police came to scene, but the victim did not identify a shooter. On Wednesday, according to the source, ballistic tests showed that the gun that had fired the shots was a custom-made Belgian weapon, and police determined that Harrison owned such a gun. A source told ESPN.com's John Clayton that the gun is registered.

Police then went to a Philadelphia car wash owned by Harrison to question him about the gun. Harrison admitted owning such a weapon, but claimed it never left his suburban Philadelphia home.

However, the source said the gun was discovered in a bucket at the car wash, and tests showed that it had fired seven bullets that matched those found at the scene.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3378829

dando
05-02-08, 09:04 PM
:eek: One of the last players I would have suspected of something like this. :shakehead

I thought you'd pick up on the Bengals Brooks situation first. :gomer: :shakehead

-Kevin

Insomniac
05-02-08, 09:17 PM
I thought you'd pick up on the Bengals Brooks situation first. :gomer: :shakehead:

At this point, you just keep track of what Bengals don't get caught up in the law. :D

WickerBill
05-03-08, 10:20 AM
Don't forget the Colts backup RB, Kenton Keith, was arrested outside a nightclub two weeks ago despite invoking the ever-classic "Don't arrest me, I'm a Colts player!" defense to the cops.

Don't forget Indy's real Super Bowl MVP, Dominic Rhodes, was busted for pot shortly after leaving the Colts.

Every team has them, even when a team desperately tries to fill the roster with "good guys". The Pacers are the Bengals of the NBA, but even with the much smaller teams, there are always the problems.

Andrew Longman
05-03-08, 12:12 PM
Every team has them, even when a team desperately tries to fill the roster with "good guys".

Beg to differ. Some teams do vastly better than others.

Part of it is carefully evaluating players before they arrive but it also has to do with the leadership elsewhere on the team and what the team does in terms of preventive security.

New York teams, with all the distraction the city holds, are particularly aware of this. The Knicks are the casebook example of how not to do it. Their thugs make the police/gossip pages it seems weekly.

The Yankees OTOH have people like Jeter and ARod who step to mentor guys like Melkey and Cano about how to conduct yourself as a NY athlete. And the Yankee brass and security help players know the standards, consequences and how to meet it. I can't recall a Yankee getting in trouble off the field since 1989 when Luis Polina was busted for have sex with a 15 year old in Milwaukee. That pretty much ended the era of Billy Martin punching marshmellow salesment in bars era. Past them Strawberry and Gooden are the exceptions (and they're really Mets :D) and they are really sad stories of two men who will struggle with their addiction for the rest of their lives. For them, as Yankees, they made it clear it was not a matter of character.

For the Giants, Tyree was busted before his first camp riding around Montclair with some friends and some dope. His mother and girlfriend and the Giants confronted him and he got religion, literally (though he'd shown he was a good kid all through school), and now he's a Super Bowl hero.

Other than him, since George Young came and made character a priority, I only recall LTs drug problems, which he attacked as he did QBs and seems to have won, Frank DeOssie, who came clean about his problems with booze, (but not accused of anything) and Keith Hamilton who was caught with a joint in his car.

There may be more, but no one has been beating their girl, firing guns in nightclub, or storing automatic weapons. Most NY players retire in the evening to NJ and Westchester County and if they do go into the city, guys like Jeter rent out half the club and turn it into a private party with wisely selected guests

WickerBill
05-03-08, 02:14 PM
So you're quite literally saying there are zero of these types of people on the Giants and Yankees? Zero? I didn't bring up baseball because it is generally a more genteel sport with far fewer 'bangers. But really, you don't mention Giambi? You don't mention Sheffield? You're kidding, right?

Many from my town would have been tempted to say the same thing of the Colts two years ago.

I completely stand by my statement. Your team has 'em, you just don't know who they are. Yet.

Sean O'Gorman
05-03-08, 02:56 PM
Beg to differ. Some teams do vastly better than others.

Part of it is carefully evaluating players before they arrive but it also has to do with the leadership elsewhere on the team and what the team does in terms of preventive security.

New York teams, with all the distraction the city holds, are particularly aware of this. The Knicks are the casebook example of how not to do it. Their thugs make the police/gossip pages it seems weekly.

The Yankees OTOH have people like Jeter and ARod who step to mentor guys like Melkey and Cano about how to conduct yourself as a NY athlete. And the Yankee brass and security help players know the standards, consequences and how to meet it. I can't recall a Yankee getting in trouble off the field since 1989 when Luis Polina was busted for have sex with a 15 year old in Milwaukee. That pretty much ended the era of Billy Martin punching marshmellow salesment in bars era. Past them Strawberry and Gooden are the exceptions (and they're really Mets :D) and they are really sad stories of two men who will struggle with their addiction for the rest of their lives. For them, as Yankees, they made it clear it was not a matter of character.

For the Giants, Tyree was busted before his first camp riding around Montclair with some friends and some dope. His mother and girlfriend and the Giants confronted him and he got religion, literally (though he'd shown he was a good kid all through school), and now he's a Super Bowl hero.

Other than him, since George Young came and made character a priority, I only recall LTs drug problems, which he attacked as he did QBs and seems to have won, Frank DeOssie, who came clean about his problems with booze, (but not accused of anything) and Keith Hamilton who was caught with a joint in his car.

There may be more, but no one has been beating their girl, firing guns in nightclub, or storing automatic weapons. Most NY players retire in the evening to NJ and Westchester County and if they do go into the city, guys like Jeter rent out half the club and turn it into a private party with wisely selected guests

You forgot Roger Clemens. :gomer:

Insomniac
05-03-08, 03:34 PM
Many from my town would have been tempted to say the same thing of the Colts two years ago.

Many would've said the same about the Patriots until Willie Andrews was busted with a whole bunch of pot after the season went up in flames. And Kevin Faulk was caught with some pot too. Even though every player does at least 10 things for the community every year, they still find ways to get in trouble.

TKGAngel
05-03-08, 03:44 PM
The Yankees OTOH have people like Jeter and ARod who step to mentor guys like Melkey and Cano about how to conduct yourself as a NY athlete.

Wasn't A-Rod allegedly cavorting with a stripper in Canada?

Andrew Longman
05-03-08, 03:59 PM
You forgot Roger Clemens. :gomer:

First, he's a Red Sock ;)

Second his stuff took six years and a federal investigation to uncover. And while unethical, it technically it was not against league rules at the time

Third, Yankee fans took his win, but always considered him an ass. The crap he pulled with Piazza over the years was embarrassing. Even if he was a Met, he was one of the more likable athletes in NY.

Andrew Longman
05-03-08, 04:06 PM
Wasn't A-Rod allegedly cavorting with a stripper in Canada?

Not illegal. Single event. Paparazzi stuff. Photographed coming out of a club. Not clear what actually happened but not making excuses either.

What I'm talking about is stuff like a young Latin player such as Cabrera being invited to take a car to Alex's apartment every day to use his nutritionist and work out together and learn how conduct himself as a NY athlete. He didn't have to do that, but that sort of leadership is expected and necessary to succeed as a team in the current media environment.

So back on point, who on the Bengals are telling these guys to stay out of the clubs in Covington? Who sets the example? It will be interesting how the Cowboys succeed, or succeed as much as they have with the nutjobs on that team.

Insomniac
05-03-08, 04:13 PM
First, he's a Red Sock ;)

Second his stuff took six years and a federal investigation to uncover. And while unethical, it technically it was not against league rules at the time

Third, Yankee fans took his win, but always considered him an ass. The crap he pulled with Piazza over the years was embarrassing. Even if he was a Met, he was one of the more likable athletes in NY.

Clemens is not a Red Sox!

And the possession and use of steroids and HGH are illegal unless prescribed in the United States.

Insomniac
05-03-08, 04:15 PM
What I'm talking about is stuff like a young Latin player such as Cabrera being invited to take a car to Alex's apartment every day to use his nutritionist and work out together and learn how conduct himself as a NY athlete. He didn't have to do that, but that sort of leadership is expected and necessary to succeed as a team in the current media environment.

By that definition, Ray Lewis is an upstanding citizen. Most notably, he took Ed Reed under his wing. He ate with Ray, watched film with Ray, etc.

dando
05-03-08, 04:40 PM
So back on point, who on the Bengals are telling these guys to stay out of the clubs in Covington? Who sets the example? It will be interesting how the Cowboys succeed, or succeed as much as they have with the nutjobs on that team.

Wilie and CP are the 'leaders' for the Bengals, but unfortunately neither is a strong leader ala Ray Lewis, etc. The days of Reggie Williams and Anthony Munoz are long gone. :( Next question is WTF they wee thinking drafting a guy (DT Jason Shirley) with an open DUI case. :irked:

-Kevin

racermike
05-03-08, 05:11 PM
Lots of talk about Alexander definitely becoming a Bengal. Will know more monday after his meeting with the team to see what they offer.

Least there will be one player on the team (Bengals) you wont have to worry about legal problems with :D

dando
05-03-08, 05:36 PM
Least there will be one player on the team (Bengals) you wont have to worry about legal problems with :D

True. He's too slow to get into trouble. :gomer:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
05-03-08, 07:31 PM
By that definition, Ray Lewis is an upstanding citizen. Most notably, he took Ed Reed under his wing. He ate with Ray, watched film with Ray, etc.

Its not just what you do but what you don't do. I'm not a big ARod fan. I think there some very odd a flawed things about his personality, but he has not and likely will not, be out on the town with "his posse" in a limo, getting into situation where gunfire erupts between two emotionally dysfunctional screw ups. That ain't him and for whatever reason no Yankee (or Giant, Jet or Met) seems to ever do that either.

The Knicks are the only team of screw ups and it starts with Isiah Thomas. But that's another story

Andrew Longman
05-03-08, 07:41 PM
Clemens is not a Red Sox!

And the possession and use of steroids and HGH are illegal unless prescribed in the United States.

In every Yankee fan's eye, he will always have that stain.

Winning championships is what the Yankees are about and fans accept the role of mercenaries in that, but he is a Red Sock at the core.

Trust me. Here in NY, from the beginning no one sided with Clemens except to hope he would just shut up and stop embarrassing himself.

And no, I will not let him go with illegally having a controlled substance, only that the MLB at the time saw nothing wrong with it.

Personally, I think it is a sad story, often repeated, of a star not knowing how to walk away. In reality, the Sox were probably right that he was done in his last year with them. But his pride wouldn't allow that. A LOT of hard work, seen by many, and yes shots, extended his career. That stubbornness is both admirable and sad. Sad especially now that his drug use also shows his desperation and his lawsuit to cover it up is opening all of his personal life to investigators.

Nevertheless, these failings are of a completely different type and source than the knucklehead stupidity of Pacman, Vick, many Bengals, Tankman, Moss, et al.

dando
05-03-08, 07:48 PM
Here in NY

Dude, yer like almost closer to Philly than NYC. :gomer:

-Kevin

WickerBill
05-03-08, 08:50 PM
You realize you wouldn't be having to defend yourself against Clemens (Sheff, Giambi) if you had just accepted the notion that all teams have these guys, instead of being a blatant homer. :\

Sean O'Gorman
05-03-08, 11:00 PM
I wasn't talking about the steroids and HGH, I was talking about his NYR impersonation.

Andrew Longman
05-04-08, 12:00 AM
Dude, yer like almost closer to Philly than NYC. :gomer:

-Kevin

Yo. check mapquest.

60 miles door to door to the philly ballpark. 75 to the Yank's. Stilll, this is NY media market, cable and otherwise. And given how the roads work, NYC is the closer city. Given how the sprawl blends together there is a NW-SE line somewhere about Trenton/Princeton that divides the state's Philly/NY orientation. For the greatest part I'm way too north to be Philly thinking. :)

But I like Philly just fine... for some things/ More livable in so many ways... but I don't live in either NY or Philly

dando
05-04-08, 12:55 PM
Yo. check mapquest.

60 miles door to door to the philly ballpark. 75 to the Yank's. Stilll, this is NY media market, cable and otherwise. And given how the roads work, NYC is the closer city. Given how the sprawl blends together there is a NW-SE line somewhere about Trenton/Princeton that divides the state's Philly/NY orientation. For the greatest part I'm way too north to be Philly thinking. :)

But I like Philly just fine... for some things/ More livable in so many ways... but I don't live in either NY or Philly

Well, I've always said N. NJ is an NYC suburb, and S. NJ is Philly's suburb. ;)

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
05-04-08, 01:11 PM
Well, I've always said N. NJ is an NYC suburb, and S. NJ is Philly's suburb. ;)

-Kevin

Actually I'm due west of NYC and due north of Philly. No mans land really, because I'm also on the edge of the Lehigh Valley. Anyway, on a given month I'm in Philly as much as NYC for work and pleasure.

Tim
05-04-08, 02:42 PM
I wasn't talking about the steroids and HGH, I was talking about his NYR impersonation.

It took one e-mail to know to never open anything from him again. I have checked the NY state sex offender list and was surprised to see he wasn't on it.

Andrew Longman
05-04-08, 04:09 PM
You realize you wouldn't be having to defend yourself against Clemens (Sheff, Giambi) if you had just accepted the notion that all teams have these guys, instead of being a blatant homer. :\

Jus' doin' my part to keep your forum lively. ;)

dando
05-04-08, 05:16 PM
Actually I'm due west of NYC and due north of Philly. No mans land really, because I'm also on the edge of the Lehigh Valley. Anyway, on a given month I'm in Philly as much as NYC for work and pleasure.

Yeah, I looked it up to see if it was on my way to OCNJ so I could stop by and egg your house. ;) :p

-Kevin

dando
05-06-08, 01:05 PM
So Chris Henry has been released from house arrests and is free to travel for tryouts. Apparently he also has a tryout scheduled with a team...how much ya wanna bet it's Big D? :shakehead :irked:

-Kevin

WickerBill
05-06-08, 01:47 PM
NFL Films' "Hard Knocks" this coming season is scheduled to be on the Cowboys. Should be interesting....

Ankf00
05-06-08, 01:54 PM
cowboys == piggie. woo pig eat a bag.

FTG
05-06-08, 05:32 PM
"It appears that the primary pyros of Cincinnati's explosive three-wide sets of years past may soon all have shed their stripes.

Chris Henry's already gone. Chad Johnson wants to be. And now, in Peter King's MMQB Tuesday Edition column, the Bengals are expressing serious doubt that they can hold on to T.J. Houshmandzadeh beyond the 2008 season, after which his contract expires."