PDA

View Full Version : Houston Super Speedway

Turn7
04-23-03, 11:03 AM
They broke ground yesterday on this facility. It appears to be getting off the ground and is targeting NASCAR Busch Series and Trucks initially.

Would CART consider this to replace the street curcuit in Houston?

www.houstonsuperspeedway.com

1.2 mile egg shaped oval.

http://www.houstonsuperspeedway.com/assets/story_image/2dtrack.jpg

pchall
04-23-03, 11:13 AM
You've just got to love that road course they want to have with the oval!

Two snaky little bits headed to the tunnel under the oval and linked to the oval parking access roads. They should have looked at the original MIS road course plans first.

BTW, does anyone have an idea of what the banking for that oval might be? Is it steep enough to let the NASCAR gang put shows on there or shallow enough for real racing?

JLMannin
04-23-03, 12:17 PM
What is the infatuation with these egg-shaped ovals? Why not build a real oval that has two, count them two, axes of symmetry? Gateway was one of these goofy egg things and the racing sucks, regardless of series. I don't care if you make an egg with 100 foot wide curves, the egg shape results in one groove racing.

Turn7
04-23-03, 12:23 PM
In this case, I think money.

The track went from a 1.75 mile tri-oval to a 1.5 mile cookie cutter to the current 1.2 mile egg.

pchall
04-23-03, 12:35 PM
I seems like the only raceable ovals constructed lately are in England, Germany, and Japan. Go figure

Lizzerd
04-23-03, 04:24 PM
That track looks like torture on right side tires.

sundaydriver
04-23-03, 04:40 PM
I like the Champ Cars on the larger ovals. 2 miles or 2.5 miles is the way to go.

Wheel-Nut
04-23-03, 04:47 PM
In the top graphic of their web page there is a Spring 2005 date. Is that the projected date for opening?

I really hate to see this thing get built. Another oval, looks to me like a waste of materials!

Turn7
04-23-03, 05:06 PM
They said on the news this morning that the track will be completed by the fall of 2004 and the first race is scheduled for 2005.

DaveL
04-23-03, 06:49 PM
From the looks of it, if you don't make a pass going into Turn 1 you can forget about it for another lap. I see a lot of one groove racing on that track.

JLMannin
04-24-03, 12:52 PM
Do they actually have funding, or is this like the Quad Cities Speedway in Joslin, Illinois?

Thay had a ground breaking ceremony, pushed some dirt around with a bulldozer, had a big brush fire, and parked a trailer next to the interstate announcing the speedway. The funding was never there.

BlueStang
04-25-03, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by pchall
I seems like the only raceable ovals constructed lately are in England, Germany, and Japan. Go figure

Kentucky...but I guess that is like a foreign country to some. :)

Blue