PDA

View Full Version : TSO Blog

nrc
12-09-06, 02:06 AM
A couple of nights ago a friend called and said he had a couple of extra tickets to see the "Trans Siberian Orchestra". Cool, whatever that is. It would be fun to get together and see a show anyway. Actually I recognized the name from the synchronized Christmas lights thing someone did last year but didn't know much else about them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK1O5pkDniA

A Google search told me that these guys are evidently pretty popular (they were playing an arena, afterall) and filled in some of the background. Being completely isolated form commercial radio, this was news to me. Progressive Christmas rock? Sure, what the heck.

This was our first time seeing a show at Nationwide Arena. We normally pass on arena shows in favor of seeing better acts in bars. Outside it was nice. Inside it was painful. The seats are smaller than a cheap airline. They make our Bengals seats look like a luxury box. Is this typical for NHL arenas?

There was a mercifully short wait after we were wedged into our seats for the show to start. And once it got going it just would not quit. Seriously. Nobody will leave this show complaining they were shorted on quantity. It's quality where there are issues.

Honestly, I had mixed feelings about it. There were bits and pieces that were really wonderful. Just amazing. But they were tied together with something that swung wildly between A Spinal Tap Christmas and Star Search. I really never felt like a I needed a noodley guitar solo version of The First Noel or a pelvis grinding Christmas carol to complete my holiday experience. But it was all there, complete with progressive rock opera lyrics that could have been lifted from a box full of Hallmark cards.

Then they would play something cool, make it snow over the audience and do the light show stuff and for a moment it would be really cool. Until they crank the light show up to "11" and blast you right in the face with a gazillion candle-power. No way you could look at that stage without being blinded for days. What's the point of that? Oh, look it's snowing again. Cool.

Then the lights come up and they introduce the players and I'm ready to dislodge from my seat and go home wondering what I just saw and whether it sucked or possibly just ruled in a way I can't comprehend. But wait. They're not done. They're just getting started.

And it goes on and on and on. A mixture of more Christmas stuff, originals (by Hallmark) and covers. But fortunately we stayed because then they did "O Fortuna" from "Carmina Burana" which was pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTKpUPv9lUg

So in the end, I'm glad we went, but I'm glad it's over with.

dando
12-09-06, 12:34 PM
This was our first time seeing a show at Nationwide Arena. We normally pass on arena shows in favor of seeing better acts in bars. Outside it was nice. Inside it was painful. The seats are smaller than a cheap airline. They make our Bengals seats look like a luxury box. Is this typical for NHL arenas?

Actually if you think the seats in The Wide are tight, don't go to the The Schott. Ever. The seats are so tight there, it's like sitting in the south stands in The Shoe. :saywhat: Where were your seats located? My seat for the CBJs is in 109 behind caddy corner to the goal, and they aren't bad @ all. I know in the corners the seats are tighter due to the curve.

Nice write up on TSO. I dismissed/ignored them because I thought they were more like Mannheim Steamroller. :saywhat: :yuck:

-Kevin

nrc
12-09-06, 02:48 PM
Actually if you think the seats in The Wide are tight, don't go to the The Schott. Ever. The seats are so tight there, it's like sitting in the south stands in The Shoe. :saywhat:

Yeah, I'll give that a pass if at all possible. I think our seats were in section 113.

Manhiem Steamroller didn't used to be bad. Nothing I'd pay to go see, but nice background music for Christmas Eve. Now they're cranking out elevator music to milk the Christmas thing. :yuck:

chop456
12-09-06, 06:28 PM
Manhiem Steamroller didn't used to be bad.

:confused:

:D