PDA

View Full Version : What should I eat?

Wheel-Nut
12-07-06, 07:37 PM
I have a choice of dinners at my wife's year end party. Help me out.

Ankf00
12-07-06, 08:00 PM
actually, nevermind, didn't read the part about your wife's party, filet mignon, must look butch.:irked: :D

nrc
12-07-06, 08:02 PM
A big piece of beef.

Cam
12-07-06, 08:04 PM
It's gonna be a long off season... :shakehead ;)

RHR_Fan
12-07-06, 08:08 PM
I went for the fish since you can always have a stuffed chicken breast somewhere (or make your own) and you can always have beef. I don't see grouper too often.

~Nicole

ferrarigod
12-07-06, 08:11 PM
Rumack: What was it we had for dinner tonight?
Elaine Dickinson: Well, we had a choice of steak or fish.
Rumack: Yes, yes, I remember, I had lasagna.

:thumbup:

http://www.gotwavs.com/0085934086/WAVS/Movies/Airplane/ap11.wav

dando
12-07-06, 08:18 PM
Filet is for the womins...get a prime rib and chow down. :) Alternatively I voted for the stuffed chikkin. :thumbup:

-Kevin

rabbit
12-07-06, 08:26 PM
Beef, it's what's for dinner. :thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
12-07-06, 09:40 PM
A six-pack and her best friend.

Mr. Toad
12-07-06, 11:41 PM
Pick one of the other two that your wife does not pick.

Then the two of you can share and enjoy two different tastes.

ferrarigod
12-08-06, 01:18 AM
A six-pack and her best friend.

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/4981/orlydr4.gif

chop456
12-08-06, 02:47 AM
Pick one of the other two that your wife does not pick.

Then the two of you can share and enjoy two different tastes.

How long have you been married?

You order the same thing. That way if it sucks, she's as miserable as you. If it's good, you eat both of them.

You're welcome. :D

Warlock!
12-08-06, 10:28 AM
How long have you been married?

You order the same thing. That way if it sucks, she's as miserable as you. If it's good, you eat both of them.

You're welcome. :D
Stop at BW-3s before you go. Eat there, and just spend all night at the party drinking free booze.

Wheel-Nut
12-08-06, 10:37 AM
Free booze?? I wish! I get TWO free drink tickets.

ferrarigod
12-08-06, 10:47 AM
Free booze?? I wish! I get TWO free drink tickets.

Give your wife yours so she has four. Get her drunk, then take advantage of her.

KLang
12-08-06, 10:56 AM
I have a choice of dinners at my wife's year end party. Help me out.

Who is doing the cooking? The chicken might be the safe choice.

Wheel-Nut
12-08-06, 11:05 AM
Take advantage of my wife? Are you kidding me? The last time that happened we ended up with kid #2. :eek:

Klang- The hotel is doing the cooking, Renaissance Houston Hotel. I expect a half dollar sized portion of steak.

Ankf00
12-08-06, 11:54 AM
The Renaissance you say? Goode Co. BBQ's right up the street :D

Gangrel
12-08-06, 11:58 AM
Steak is always best, but filet mignon is a woman's cut. No go there.

Fish is a good choice, but grouper is overfished and may not be sustainable. Every year, we divers see fewer and fewer of the big guys out there, and it is quite sad. No to grouper.

That leaves stuffed chicken breast. Definately a safe choice, as long is it is cooked well and doesn't carry any salmonella. :D

Chicken. See how easy that decision was? :cool:

Gangrel
12-08-06, 12:01 PM
I don't see grouper too often.

~Nicole

Yeah. There's a reason for that... :(

KLang
12-08-06, 12:05 PM
Yeah. There's a reason for that... :(

We see it in the grocery store here occasionally.

Ankf00
12-08-06, 12:10 PM
Kemah markets, where you can find any overfished species your heart desires, snapper, grouper, etc.

mmm, ceviche de dorado y corvina.

Gangrel
12-08-06, 12:13 PM
We see it in the grocery store here occasionally.

All the sadder.

Don't really know why anyone would want to eat them anyways...they live long lives near shore on reefs, and are loaded with mercury and who knows what else. There are plenty of safer and more sustainable seafood out there.

Wheel-Nut
12-08-06, 12:13 PM
Fish is a good choice, but grouper is overfished and may not be sustainable. Every year, we divers see fewer and fewer of the big guys out there, and it is quite sad. No to grouper.

We do good on grouper hear in Texas. I'm sure the grouper they are serving has already been caught! In fact the new state record warsaw was caught this past October. Just a tad over 300#

http://www.captelliotts.com/dsc00283Web.jpg

KLang
12-08-06, 12:16 PM
Kemah markets, where you can find any overfished species your heart desires, snapper, grouper, etc.

mmm, ceviche de dorado y corvina.

I've been seeing it at our new HEB. About every other week or so. Supposedly fresh even.

Ankf00
12-08-06, 12:20 PM
I would imagine HEB has a decent network of seafood suppliers, being a TX company and all...

Gangrel
12-08-06, 12:21 PM
We do good on grouper hear in Texas. I'm sure the grouper they are serving has already been caught! In fact the new state record warsaw was caught this past October. Just a tad over 300#

http://www.captelliotts.com/dsc00283Web.jpg

Yep...and they will keep on catching 'em as long as people keep eating 'em....or until they disappear.

Warsaws are a bit of a different story. They are fairly sheltered because of how damn hard they are to catch...especially with a speargun! :eek:

The one being served up to you at a restaurant is not likely a Warsaw. Much more likely to be a Black or Goliath. Divers in Fla. used to have a hard time finning for 10 ft without bumping into a 200# goliath. Now, they are almost nowhere to be found down there.

I am all for seafood, and I fish any chance I have. But there are some species out there that are used very irresponsibly. Groupers generally fall into that catagory.

KLang
12-08-06, 12:24 PM
I would imagine HEB has a decent network of seafood suppliers, being a TX company and all...

Still have to be carefull to read the signs to see if it's fresh or not. A lot of times they're not. Central Market has a great selection of fresh stuff. Just not real convenient from where we live.

Wheel-Nut
12-08-06, 12:41 PM
Goliath Grouper are protected in the Gulf of Mexico and not just off the Texas coast, catch and release only. Off the Texas coast we catch Gag, Warsaw, Scamp, Snowy.

G.
12-08-06, 12:41 PM
What the hell is the matter with a man eating filet mignon??

OK, they're small, just get 4 or 5 of 'em. Don't even season them, sear 'em and chew 'em.

Prime rib, every Christmas, (scares my sis-in-law to see the plate-sized slab of goodness), NY strip, Porthousetbone, all great, but filet is the best.

Did I just step outta some carnivorous closet that I didn't know about?

Ankf00
12-08-06, 01:15 PM
you and me both, buddy.

Still have to be carefull to read the signs to see if it's fresh or not. A lot of times they're not. Central Market has a great selection of fresh stuff. Just not real convenient from where we live.true, definitely helps to have Whole Foods w/in a 5 min walk :)

Gangrel
12-08-06, 02:47 PM
What the hell is the matter with a man eating filet mignon??

OK, they're small, just get 4 or 5 of 'em. Don't even season them, sear 'em and chew 'em.

Prime rib, every Christmas, (scares my sis-in-law to see the plate-sized slab of goodness), NY strip, Porthousetbone, all great, but filet is the best.

Don't get me wrong. Filet mignon is good, and I do enjoy searing one up on the grill for one of the ladies to enjoy. I may even, in a moment of weakness, eat one in the privacy of my own home. But in public? Welcome to the world outside of the closet. Let me get you a sirloin. :D

cameraman
12-08-06, 03:01 PM
What the hell is the matter with a man eating filet mignon?? There is nothing wrong with a man eating filet mignon. I guess some people are just insecure...

Ankf00
12-08-06, 03:42 PM
There is nothing wrong with a man eating filet mignon. I guess some people are just insecure...

Now now, the gauche chav has a right to his priorities as well. :gomer:

Gangrel
12-08-06, 04:08 PM
There is nothing wrong with a man eating filet mignon. I guess some people are just insecure...

I guess there's nothing wrong with a man eating a filet mignon....would you like me to get you a cosmopolitan with that? Or perhaps a strawberry daqueri.... :D

Ankf00
12-08-06, 04:12 PM
I guess there's nothing wrong with a man eating a filet mignon....would you like me to get you a cosmopolitan with that? Or perhaps a strawberry daqueri.... :D

a cabarnet would be great. also, could you please bus these plates before you go? thanks. :)

Gangrel
12-08-06, 04:23 PM
a cabarnet would be great. also, could you please bus these plates before you go? thanks. :)

Are you sure you would like the filet? It seems to me a SKIRT steak might be more to your taste...

Ankf00
12-08-06, 04:34 PM
while we're at it lets talk about the manliness of drinking Old Crow over Glenmorangie. hair on chest, etc etc.

filet mignon vs. hamburger. you can keep the burger :gomer:

Gangrel
12-08-06, 04:50 PM
while we're at it lets talk about the manliness of drinking Old Crow over Glenmorangie. hair on chest, etc etc.

filet mignon vs. hamburger. you can keep the burger :gomer:

While I would be lying if I said I don't appreciate a good hamburger from time to time, the question isn't filet vs. hamburger. Sirloin, porterhouse, ribeye....all good manly cuts. Filet is very good....for the ladies. :gomer:

If you are a man and you must eat filet, try cooking up a tenderloin roast instead...same cut, much more manly... :D

cameraman
12-08-06, 05:25 PM
The simple fact that you are so acutely concerned about your perceived levels of "manly" in relationship to individual cuts of beef speaks volumes.

Gangrel
12-08-06, 05:44 PM
The simple fact that you are so acutely concerned about your perceived levels of "manly" in relationship to individual cuts of beef speaks volumes.

Now that, my friend, is taking this to a whole new level of personal....

But I digress. It is time to make a peace offering.

So next time you are in Chicago, give me a holler and I will make sure to have a veil cutlet all ready to go on the grill for ya. :laugh:

grungex
12-08-06, 08:37 PM
I suppose now would not be the ideal time to proffer the fact that I am a vegetarian... :p

pfc_m_drake
12-09-06, 12:00 AM
I suppose now would not be the ideal time to proffer the fact that I am a vegetarian... :p
Funny you should mention that.

Last New Year's Eve I was actually at a restaurant that steadfastly refused to 'create' a vegetarian entree. They had a 'fixed' menu...something like 10 dishes, all with either meat or fish.

I suggested combining a few of the available side dishes (pasta, vegetables, etc) together to make a 'meal'. They didn't want any part of that. The only thing they were willing to do was give me a side salad and a cup of soup (French Onion) and charge me the same amount as the lowest priced entree on the menu ($18.75).

Probably not going back this year.

cameraman
12-09-06, 02:51 AM
French Onion?:eek: Really good French Onion soup starts off with cooking down a cow to get some serious consomme. It used to be that you could go to the butcher and get shin meat for making consomme. Well now days with the advent of centralized slaughterhouses it is damn near impossible to get. You need a lot of the stuff too, a gallon of consomme requires about 10 pounds of beef.

Offering French Onion soup to a vegetarian:tony:

pfc_m_drake
12-09-06, 03:57 AM
Judging by the quality (or lack thereof) I'd say that this French Onion soup came from a box rather than a bovine, but nonetheless that's good to know as I wasn't aware of that myself.

RHR_Fan
12-09-06, 02:50 PM
Funny you should mention that.

Last New Year's Eve I was actually at a restaurant that steadfastly refused to 'create' a vegetarian entree. They had a 'fixed' menu...something like 10 dishes, all with either meat or fish.

I suggested combining a few of the available side dishes (pasta, vegetables, etc) together to make a 'meal'. They didn't want any part of that. The only thing they were willing to do was give me a side salad and a cup of soup (French Onion) and charge me the same amount as the lowest priced entree on the menu ($18.75).

Probably not going back this year.

That is just absolute crap that they did that. We've talked about it so often in my menu planning class about making sure to have vegetarian options on a menu or have the ability to come up with a dish real quick. And how the vegetarian option should look just as good or better than the meat/fish/whatever option.

French Onion?:eek: Really good French Onion soup starts off with cooking down a cow to get some serious consomme...

Offering French Onion soup to a vegetarian:tony:

Or any soup for that matter. Most soups are made from beef or chicken stock.

~Nicole