PDA

View Full Version : That won't buff out!!!

Wheel-Nut
12-07-06, 11:25 AM
Landing gear? We don't need no stinkin' landing gear!!

http://www.zianet.com/tedmorris/dg/bombers4.html

KLang
12-07-06, 12:01 PM
The Air Force Accident Investigation concluded the pilots forgot to lower the landing gear.

:saywhat: :eek:

Obviously they weren't following their landing checklist but I'm surprised the plane wasn't barking at them about being too low without the gear down.

Andrew Longman
12-07-06, 12:15 PM
It is surprisingly "undamaged". Tough plane

Nothing $7-8 million won't fix.

I bet the pilots won't ever be able to live that down around the officers club:gomer:

Can you say "Career Limiting?"

KLang
12-07-06, 12:18 PM
I bet the pilots won't ever be able to live that down around the officers club:gomer:

Can you say "Career Limiting?"

I would hope they are no longer pilots. :irked:

devilmaster
12-07-06, 12:20 PM
I'm actually quite impressed at how the engines seemed to have survived since they took the brunt of the initial impact.

Ed_Severson
12-07-06, 12:29 PM
The Air Force Accident Investigation concluded the pilots forgot to lower the landing gear.

I'll bet that was a short meeting. :gomer:

Gnam
12-07-06, 12:31 PM
cool. I wonder if Boeing provides a manual for lifting a B1, or if the ground crew had to improvise?

Andrew Longman
12-07-06, 12:37 PM
I would hope they are no longer pilots. :irked:

"Daddy, you used to fly bomber jets, didn't you"

"Yes, son. I did"

"Why don't you any more?"

"Well, I did this rather special landing..."

Andrew Longman
12-07-06, 12:40 PM
cool. I wonder if Boeing provides a manual for lifting a B1, or if the ground crew had to improvise?

I'll bet they do. It not as if it is a totally unforseeable problem.

Because the plane was basically intact it was a lot easier than it might have been.

I recall a DC9 that broke its fuselage at the Elmyra NY airport years back. It was there quite a while until they figured out what to do with it.

spinner26
12-07-06, 01:07 PM
Houston, we have a problem.:eek: :shakehead

TKGAngel
12-07-06, 01:07 PM
You know if JAG was still on the air, this would totally have been an episode during May sweeps.

racermike
12-07-06, 02:09 PM
Elaine Dickinson: There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

dando
12-07-06, 02:16 PM
Needs more duct tape. ;) That's one tough bird. :thumbup:

-Kevin

oddlycalm
12-07-06, 03:12 PM
There are only two kinds of pilots in this world; those that have landed with the wheels up and those that are going to.

oc

G.
12-07-06, 03:28 PM
There are only two kinds of pilots in this world; those that have landed with the wheels up and those that are going to.

ocDidn't you used to fly? How many times have you done this?

rabbit
12-07-06, 03:30 PM
I'll bet that was a short meeting. :gomer:

"You two really are cowboys."

"What's your problem, Kazanski?"

"You're everyone's problem. That's because every time you go up in the air, you're unsafe. I don't like you because you're dangerous."

"That's right! Ice... man. I am dangerous."

:gomer:

KLang
12-07-06, 03:32 PM
I googled this a bit looking to find out what happened to the pilots. I didn't find an answer but I did find some discussions by current and former military pilots. Surprising to me, the general attitude was 'it happens'.

SteveH
12-07-06, 03:59 PM
Spoke to my son about this (he's a commercial pilot), he was aware of this. US gov't does not have the same guidelines for flying (max hours of flying in a day/week/etc.) that the FAA has. Instead, they issue what essentially is amphetamines to pilots to keep them awake. This was an 11 hour flight and most likely the crew was hopped up on gov't issue crack. Rumor is that the flight crew had no idea that they landed with the wheels up until they were informed of it. :gomer:

Career = over.

JoeBob
12-07-06, 04:32 PM
This happened back in May... here's the original story: http://www.reporternews.com/abil/nw_military/article/0,1874,ABIL_7960_4687030,00.html

The report:
http://www.acc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123027298

Investigators concluded that the cause of the mishap was both pilots' failure to lower the landing gear during the aircraft's approach and landing. Contributing factors for the pilots' failure to lower the landing gear were the copilot's task oversaturation; the copilot's urgency to complete a long mission; both pilots' inattention to instrument readings and the Descent/Before Landing Checklist, and the copilot's false belief that the pilot had lowered the landing gear.

According to the report, the pilot unexpectedly turned over aircraft control to the copilot on the final approach. The pilot reported to the air traffic control tower that the landing gear was down despite the fact that the Descent/Before Landing Checklist was never completed and the landing gear was never lowered. The red warning light in the gear handle, indicating all landing gear was not down and locked, was illuminated for more than four minutes during the approach. Additionally, at the time the aircraft landed, the three green position lights, which illuminate after the landing gear has locked in the down position, were not illuminated.

Ankf00
12-07-06, 04:54 PM
The pilot reported to the air traffic control tower that the landing gear was down despite the fact that the Descent/Before Landing Checklist was never completed and the landing gear was never lowered.
Negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full

oddlycalm
12-07-06, 05:11 PM
Didn't you used to fly? How many times have you done this? Never, but then I did 90% of all my flying in fixed gear equipment, most of them old taildraggers. I was a fair weather pilot of primitive craft, so there's no real comparison. My "big duh" was forgetting to inspect the fuel vent hole. Turns out some leafcutter bees had decided to fill it with their nest. The good news for me it that the tank was full so I lost power while still near enough the airport to glide it back instead of over Hells Canyon or one of several wilderness areas. :o

oc

Gnam
12-07-06, 05:51 PM
The red warning light in the gear handle, indicating all landing gear was not down and locked, was illuminated for more than four minutes during the approach.
Might want to make that one a blinker.

Career = over.
What you should have done was land your plane! you don't own that plane, the tax payers do! Son, your ego is writing checks your body can't cash.

You'll be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog **** out of Hong Kong!

oddlycalm
12-07-06, 07:05 PM
This incident does point out why the operation protocols are so different in the Navy... and why their cost per hour is so much higher.

If these guys had been landing on a boat the plane would have been lost, they may well have been lost as well, and there would have been serious damage to the flight deck that would have rendered entire carrier battle group useless until repaired. Instead, there was an interesting story, an orderly recovery of the eqpuipment and some runway repairs.

oc

Joelski
12-07-06, 07:26 PM
That's not the funnest bellysmacker I can think of. :p