PDA

View Full Version : Question for you , Cam

emjaya
12-06-06, 10:12 PM
Can you buy Jaffa's in the US? :)

cameraman
12-06-06, 10:46 PM
If you mean Allen's Jaffas I've seen them in the candy rack at the local Brit & Commonwealth import shop here in town. They are rather spendy having been flown half way around the world. Are they worth around $4 for a bag?

Spicoli
12-06-06, 10:51 PM
Cam is asleep or at the bar or both right now. :p

emjaya
12-06-06, 11:11 PM
If you mean Allen's Jaffas I've seen them in the candy rack at the local Brit & Commonwealth import shop here in town. They are rather spendy having been flown half way around the world. Are they worth around $4 for a bag?

Depends on how big the bag is, I suppose.Aussies love them.My wife is sending Australian chocolates to a couple of friends she has in Indiana as a Christmas present.They send a parcel to us with 'merican goodies in it. :cool: :D

Cam is asleep or at the bar or both right now. :p

He was here when I posted. :p

Cam
12-06-06, 11:25 PM
Can you buy Jaffa's in the US? :)

Forum rules... No calling out individual posters! :p

And No... Hell I wish I could find some Smarties or a Violet Cumble right now too!

Let alone a Bovells. :)

cameraman
12-07-06, 12:56 AM
Cam,

An online store in Texas.

http://about-australia-shop.com/index.php/cPath/42_51?osCsid=...

Cam
12-07-06, 07:46 AM
Cam,

http://about-australia-shop.com/index.php/cPath/42_51?osCsid=...

Crap! They're outta Cherry Ripe! :cry:

WickerBill
12-07-06, 08:21 AM
They send a parcel to us with 'merican goodies in it. :cool: :D

White Castle?

emjaya
12-07-06, 09:22 AM
White Castle?

White Castle? :eek:

No, last one had Hostess Twinkies in it, among other things.For years we had seen the ads for twinkies in comics, never had one.
They are mostly chocolates, candies and other stuff like that.

Another one on it's way. :cool: :)

Cam,

http://about-australia-shop.com/inde.../42_51?osCsid=...

No booze at that shop, can you get Bundy or an Oz beer at all?

Forum rules... No calling out individual posters! :p

Maybe the boss can change the Thread name to "Any Aussies living in Indiana on this forum?", if he's feeling pedantic.

Cam
12-07-06, 10:23 AM
No booze at that shop, can you get Bundy or an Oz beer at all?

Nope no Bundy. :cry: I have to get special deliveries, like from my Mum or when a friend that was at the Gold Coast Indy snags me one on his way back. ;) Used to be able to get Castlemain, and although I would not call it beer, there is Fosters.

Maybe the boss can change the Thread name to "Any Aussies living in Indiana on this forum?", if he's feeling pedantic.

I think we are OK with the title. :)

cyclepath
12-07-06, 11:37 AM
hmm I'm getting ready to open up a package of "Arnotts" cookies..:rofl:

RaceGrrl
12-07-06, 12:29 PM
Meijer has a great section of imported foods, and they do carry Violet Crumble (which I tried and don't like - it tasted like burnt sugar to me). I love Coffee Crisp- there's nothing like it in the US, but the store hasn't had it for months now.

nrc
12-07-06, 12:44 PM
Some Scottish friends of ours bring back Thornton's Millionaires which are a delicious chocolate/caramel/shortbread layer cookie. Missy had them start bringing back an extra package since I always ate them before she could get any. :D

Cam
12-07-06, 12:44 PM
Meijer has a great section of imported foods, and they do carry Violet Crumble (which I tried and don't like - it tasted like burnt sugar to me). I love Coffee Crisp- there's nothing like it in the US, but the store hasn't had it for months now.

They used to carry Mrs Pattersons Aussie meat pies too, several years ago. I would go in and buy all they had!!! Dunno why they stopped. :( I try and avoid Meijer at all costs, but maybe I need to go and have a poke around again...

cameraman
12-07-06, 02:02 PM
can you get Bundy or an Oz beer at all?

You can't get anything here except Foster's. Even the clubs that stock ~300 different kinds of beer only have Foster's. You guys are just greedy and don't export anything that you would actually drink...

Cam
12-07-06, 02:06 PM
You can't get anything here except Foster's. Even the clubs that stock ~300 different kinds of beer only have Foster's. You guys are just greedy and don't export anything that you would actually drink...

... ands the Fosters is actually made in Canada.

Hey Indy! Break out that booze list and see what non-vino-de-collapso imports come from Oz!

dando
12-07-06, 02:07 PM
They used to carry Mrs Pattersons Aussie meat pies too, several years ago. I would go in and buy all they had!!! Dunno why they stopped. :( I try and avoid Meijer at all costs, but maybe I need to go and have a poke around again...

Oddly we used to find those @ Sam's Club, but they rarely carry anything consistently for more than a year outside of the staples. :(
-Kevin

G.
12-07-06, 02:24 PM
found a store that sells Cooper's Dark. Worth checking out?

"I have been hearing(TM)" that anytime some Ozzie exporter tries to ship beer out of the country, a massive hoard of players from something called "Austrailian Rules Football" storms the docks and steals the beer. That's why you can only get Fosters and wine here in the States.

And what the hell is Austrailian Rules Football?? Sounds pretty sissy to me. I mean, RULES?!? WTF? Just throw on the pads and helmet and PLAY. Don't need no stinkin rules...

:runs:
:gomer:

Cam
12-07-06, 02:53 PM
And what the hell is Austrailian Rules Football?? Sounds pretty sissy to me. I mean, RULES?!? WTF? Just throw on the pads and helmet and PLAY. Don't need no stinkin rules...

First rule is... There are no rules. Nancyboys! We don't need no stinkin' pads or helmets! C'mere while I rip yer bloody 'ead off! Quit whinin' too! :D

oddlycalm
12-07-06, 02:55 PM
... ands the Fosters is actually made in Canada. Probably in the same brewery where they make the Guiness that isn't. :yuck:

oc

WickerBill
12-07-06, 03:39 PM
Why does everyone hate Meijer so much?

G.
12-07-06, 03:43 PM

Danica?

I like the store. My only complaint is finding stuff. Especially frozen foods. I mean, put ALL of the frozen burritos (or whatever) in one place! That too much to ask? Why scatter them about?

Cam
12-07-06, 04:00 PM

I don't hate them. Just that the Carmel store is usually a freakin zoo whenever I go in there. (Insert obligatory Carmel housewife joke here.) ;)

WickerBill
12-07-06, 05:36 PM
I just like going there because the prices are good and I don't have to use a "spyware card" like Kroger's Fresh Idea to get reasonable prices.

rabbit
12-07-06, 06:25 PM
I just like going there because the prices are good and I don't have to use a "spyware card" like Kroger's Fresh Idea to get reasonable prices.

I hate the spyware card. I refuse to go to Kroger because of it.

I quit going to Meijer years ago because every time I went in there they only had a handful of registers open and you would have to stand in line for 10 minutes. But when they added the self-checkout registers it became my favorite store. The imported foods section is great and the Everything bagels are like crack with cream cheese.

rabbit
12-07-06, 06:28 PM
They send a parcel to us with 'merican goodies in it. :cool: :D
Kewpees? :)

Ankf00
12-07-06, 07:10 PM

I've gotten around that, well with Randall's/Tom Thumb (Safeway) anyway... if I ask them for a card while being checked out, they'll just give me the cards & sign-up sheet and ask me to return it "next time [I'm] in."

Plus it's not like the card needs to be activated to function so you could just fill out fake info...

rabbit
12-07-06, 07:18 PM
I've gotten around that, well with Randall's/Tom Thumb (Safeway) anyway... if I ask them for a card while being checked out, they'll just give me the cards & sign-up sheet and ask me to return it "next time [I'm] in."

Plus it's not like the card needs to be activated to function so you could just fill out fake info...

Yeah, but then you have to either A) remember to bring the card with you, or B) ask them for a new card every time you go there. Too much of a hassle. I'd rather drive the extra block to Meijer, get good prices, and not have to talk to the walking freak show running the register at Kroger/Safeway/Giant Eagle/whatever.

rabbit
12-07-06, 07:28 PM
http://www.forumspile.com/Hijack-DeNiro.jpg

Cam
12-07-06, 08:07 PM
http://www.forumspile.com/Hijack-DeNiro.jpg

Yeah goddammit! This thread was about me! :D

Ankf00
12-07-06, 08:40 PM
Yeah, but then you have to either A) remember to bring the card with you, or B) ask them for a new card every time you go there. Too much of a hassle. I'd rather drive the extra block to Meijer, get good prices, and not have to talk to the walking freak show running the register at Kroger/Safeway/Giant Eagle/whatever.

keychain mini-card solves this :)

Yeah goddammit! This thread was about me! :D meh, that got old :p

WickerBill
12-07-06, 08:46 PM
Sorry, at least here in the midwest, you get your guy card revoked for having a supermarket tag on your keychain.

rabbit
12-07-06, 08:47 PM
keychain mini-card solves this :)

F that. :thumdown: I hate having extra crap on my keys. Between remote fob for car, flash drive, car keys, three different keys for my apartment, etc., the thing is bulky enough.

Of course, if you carry a purse then the extra card isn't a problem, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Cam
12-07-06, 08:49 PM
Sorry, at least here in the midwest, you get your guy card revoked for having a supermarket tag on your keychain.

But but but!!! I get 10c off a gallon!!! Oh wait... I never spend enough a month to take advantage of that... :rolleyes:

Ankf00
12-07-06, 08:56 PM

meh, car clicker, key ring, market tag, key to front door. simplicity.

besides, with beer prices pushing $8-9 for a 6'er :saywhat: need that stupid card. :mad: and I'm not talking Duvel or Hoffbrau, just Shiner & New Belgium.... even Tecate's pushing $1/can these days, in school the stuff was 1/2 that price

nrc
12-07-06, 09:25 PM

What about a Sunoco magnet on your car? What's that all about anyway? Some kind of discount, I assume?

WickerBill
12-08-06, 08:39 AM
Wow... I haven't seen a Sunoco in 20 years... they're still around?

(perhaps my second hijack of the same thread)

Spicoli
12-08-06, 08:57 AM
But but but!!! I get 10c off a gallon!!! Oh wait... I never spend enough a month to take advantage of that... :rolleyes:

do you actually eat more than 1 meal a week? :p

Cam
12-08-06, 09:23 AM
do you actually eat more than 1 meal a week? :p

:tony:

KLang
12-08-06, 10:07 AM

What if there is a booze store tag next to the supermarket tag? ;)

nrc
12-08-06, 12:29 PM
Wow... I haven't seen a Sunoco in 20 years... they're still around?

(perhaps my second hijack of the same thread)

Their web site says there are 7 in Indy. You've probably learned to ignore them because they sell 86 octane at the same price as most stations sell 87.