PDA

View Full Version : RIP Len Sutton

datachicane
12-05-06, 06:27 PM
:(

http://statesmanjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061205/SPORTS/612050345/1018

I had the chance to yak with him on several occasions, the last time at the Portland SOVREN historics in August. Len had some great stories (and some serious cojones). He didn't follow the sport too closely anymore, other than mentioning that "Tony really f'ed it up".

RIP

dreamracer
12-06-06, 05:14 PM
Thanks for posting that, DC.

I had the pleasure of meeting Len Sutton on a couple of occasions, and he was all class. I recall asking him how it felt to take the green flag at the brickyard and he spent upwards of ten minutes describing the entire experience. He was never short on opinions about what it would take to undo all that had been done to the sport he loved over the last 20 years.

I loved that he always came out for the local Portland events, and stood by the cars he drove and gave firsthand accounts as to his experiences.

RIP, Len Sutton. A racing champion.

datachicane
12-06-06, 05:27 PM
Yep. I'm embarassed to say I didn't even realize who he was when I first met him, late one Thursday night at PIR prior to the historics several years back. I was camped in the trees across the lane from where his trailer was parked, and he came over to check out my brother's Lotus, IIRC.

I didn't even know he was sick when I talked to him a few months back... :(