PDA

View Full Version : Warren Zevon is Alive

chop456
04-23-03, 07:06 AM
Just thought I'd throw the "alive" part in the title as not to scare anyone.

Anyway, the morning DJ on WXRT in Chicago has a standing rule that if the CD player malfunctions, he gets to play whatever he wants. The player choked this morning, so he played "Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School". What a great song, and an underappreciated artist.

There'll be a sad day coming soon.

RTKar
04-23-03, 08:18 AM
I wish the cd player would malfunction more often.

tllips
04-23-03, 10:28 AM
I love Lin! I especially like trying to figure out what song he is going to play after the Regular Guy reviews a movie. It is always relevent to the movie or something the Regular Guy said about the movie.

Then, when it is a sappy song, he plays that Gene Wilder bit "I WAS ONLY KIDDING!!!!"

nrc
04-26-03, 03:13 AM
Zevon has been a favorite or RaceGrrl and I for a long time. Too few have recognized his talent over the years and I suppose it may be some small consolation that he's getting a little of that recognition before he's gone.

It's strange to think that there will be no more Zevon concerts. They've been such a regular part of our lives and the source of many good memories.

One of the last times he toured with a full band they did "Mohammed's Radio" with three lap steel guitars all singing in harmony. I get chills just thinking about it. It was beautiful.

One of the oddest gigs was the time he played at the Columbus Auto show. It would have been a low point for a lot of artists, playing at the center of a brightly lit hall as people kicked tires and slammed doors. But Zevon took it with wry amusement, the same as everything else in life, including his now imminent death.

I'm sure going to miss him.

TRDfan
04-26-03, 10:01 AM
It would be great if Letterman would replay the episode that featured Warren earlier this year instead of one of the three week old repeats they usually play when Dave is off.

I have to admit, I've always admired him and his music, but don't own anything of his except an old 45 of Werewolves of London.

It's time for me to get some more music - any suggestions on what of Zevons to get ?

RTKar
04-26-03, 10:06 AM
I've only seen him once, a solo gig. I Should have seen him with a full band when I had the chance. With so much bad music out their, it's a big loss when the craftsmen of the trade depart, they are the ones that truly shape the musical world.

nrc
04-26-03, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by TRDfan
It's time for me to get some more music - any suggestions on what of Zevons to get ?

If you're not familier with his catalogue you might want to get the new "Best Of" collection titled "Genius".

Then depending on which era you like best I'd suggest "Excitable Boy" from the '70s, "Sentimental Hygiene" from the '80s, "Mr. Bad Example" from '90s or "My Ride's Here" from 2000.

The songwriting is always top notch, but some of the production varies. Mutineer from the '90s has some great songs, but sounds particularly "home studio."