PDA

View Full Version : What are the real costs for Atlantics?

devilmaster
12-05-06, 05:34 PM
K, here's the story.

Surfin round the web, I stumbled upon a writeup about the costs of running a car in the IPS series for 2007. (i'll get around to posting it later, after a bit of discussion.)

In it, it did a comparison of Atlantics and talked about the costs of an IPS ride for next season.

So, I'm curious to see what the true costs of running an Atlantics race team is for a season, and see how they truly compare. If we can get a basement figure, and also what it may cost to actually compete for the title, that'd be great.

As a second thought, wouldn't CC have some outline that describes the cost if they ever had a lottery winner walk in and say 'I wanna start a race team'....

Thanks in advance all, and JT - hoping you can contribute.

Opposite Lock
12-05-06, 06:01 PM
So just how big was this lottery that you won?

Easy
12-05-06, 06:12 PM
$900k. Doesn't include testing. That's from a team.

The old package was nearly $10,000 for a single test day and about $30,000 for a race weekend.

devilmaster
12-05-06, 06:16 PM
So just how big was this lottery that you won?

:laugh:

I thought someone might ask that - but no, I don't play the lottery, so I am not winning it.

Besides, if I did win, I'd go the route of one of the old atlantic teams and don't spend the principal.

devilmaster
12-05-06, 07:44 PM
$900k. Doesn't include testing. That's from a team.

The old package was nearly $10,000 for a single test day and about $30,000 for a race weekend.

So is 900 the minimum, or without naming the team - can you infer where they ended up in the pack for 900?

emjaya
12-05-06, 08:30 PM
Just on the subject of cost's, Craig Gore was quoted in my local fish-wrapper as saying he spend $5 to $7 million US per year on the Aussievinyards Champcar team.

He also has a V8 supercar team, W.P.S. Racing, on which to be competitive top teams are spending about $12 million OZ (which is roughly $8 million US).

To cut to the point, ChampCar doesn't seem that expensive to run in when compared to other series around the world.

Must remember to put Lotto in this week.
:)

Fio1
12-06-06, 12:14 AM
IPS is about half the price of F.Atlantics. The IPS cars are very basic and cheap to run compared to Atlantics.

Last year numbers, from people I know who brought money.
F.Atlantic $450,000 to $800,000
IPS: $250,000 to $400,000
F.Mazda Pro: $250,000 to $450,000
Daytona Prototype: $400,000 to $800,000 (for 1 seat).
Grand-Am GT: $200,000 to $400,000 (for 1 seat).
Le Mans 24 drive LMP2: $100,000 to $300,000
Le Mans 24 drive GT: $100,000+
Daytona 24 DP: $60,000
Daytona 24 GT: $35,000 to $50,000
Spa, Zolder, Nurburgring or Silverstone 24 Hours GT: $12,000 to $18,000.

Note: How damn more expensive Daytona is then the other non-Le Mans 24 hour races in the exact same car (Porsche 996-997 Cup car). That is because of the Hoosier monopoly and that you can't double-stint tires at Daytona. I.E. in the other races tire sponsorship & double & tripple stinting tires greatly lowers the running cost, but not in Grand-Am.

FCYTravis
12-06-06, 04:19 AM
Jesus, Formula Mazda is up to $450k? :saywhat: :eek: :shakehead

This sport is insane.

chop456
12-06-06, 04:43 AM
I don't play the lottery, so I am not winning it.

Not with a strategy like that, you're not. :D

Easy
12-06-06, 11:17 AM
Jesus, Formula Mazda is up to $450k? :saywhat: :eek: :shakehead

This sport is insane.

Some squads topped that in the first year of the new package. 7 post rigs, multiple engine rebuilds on the infallible engine, 2000 test days, SCCA Formula S races, etc.

Easy
12-06-06, 11:20 AM
So is 900 the minimum, or without naming the team - can you infer where they ended up in the pack for 900?

$900k was the minimum for that team and didn't include damage or testing. That number would only have gone up as the season progressed and the problems started to arise with the engine blocks and roll hoops.

Top ten team.

Dr. Corkski
12-06-06, 11:59 AM
$900k was the minimum for that team and didn't include damage or testing. That number would only have gone up as the season progressed and the problems started to arise with the engine blocks and roll hoops.

Top ten team.Jensen Motorsport? :tony:

extramundane
12-06-06, 12:06 PM
Jensen Motorsport? :tony:

Couldn't be- he spends over $900k just on his Monaco GP hospitality budget.

devilmaster
12-06-06, 02:05 PM
k.... thanx everyone for the info. So I found this at a halifax based race team's website.

INDY PRO SERIES 2007

Driver Proposal
Dear Driver,
As the 2006 season is nearly over for many race series, you as a driver have now the task to decide what you might be driving in 2007.
The same holds true for us, the racing team! Atlantic Racing has partnered with American Spirit Racing forming Team KMA to enter the now very attractive IPS series, in addition to our FBMW USA Series efforts.
Why is the IPS Series now even more attractive to teams and drivers?
7 good reasons;
1. – the car, 420 hp Infinity powered, Dallara chassis, a sound 180 mph car with proven reliability in its 5th year. Meet’s IndyCar and Formula One crash certification standards.
2. – the new race format – the proposed 2007 IPS schedule includes 10 road course and 6 oval races. The Indy 500 and Indy F1 double-header are surely very attractive venues.
3. – increased and better TV coverage through extended broadcast on ESPN2.
4. – the cost – at only US $550,000.- for a full season, it can be said that this is just over half the cost of an Atlantic season.
5. – the prize funds – over US $ 3 million prize purse. To show up and start guarantees nearly every starting driver US $ 10,000.- per race! Any good driver bringing the car “home” should have at the end of the season a minimum of US $150,000.- in their pocket.
6. – the stability of the Series and the connection to IRL. The owners, the George family, do not only own IRL, IPS and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway but also completely support this series with all their knowledge and financial strength.
7. – our Team. We have a dedicated crew and engineering staff for IPS with many years of IRL, Indy and IPS experience. In reality – we can be a winning team in 2007.

So, all in all, we cannot foresee a better series for a driver trying to make his mark in North America. For you it is important to be seen as an all-round driver. With Oval racing on the IPS schedule this exposure to Oval racing is what many North American sponsors, driver talent scouts and IRL, NASCAR, ChampCar, ALMS team owners are looking for to elevate you into the premier and higher paying racing series.

What can we do to help you?
We can offer several different proposals, tailored to your budget. Sponsorship and additional budget funding assistance may be available.

Please do call and explore with us all the possibilities before leaping into another racing series.

Thank You!

Ingo Strackerjan, Team Principal
Jon Lewis, Team Principal

Easy
12-07-06, 11:08 AM
Couldn't be- he spends over $900k just on his Monaco GP hospitality budget.

Yeah but the shrimp are awesome.