PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR to NYC: Fahgetaboutit!

Andrew Longman
12-05-06, 09:58 AM
http://www.nj.com/sportsflash/motorsports/index.ssf?/base/sports-3/1165277424287130.xml&storylist=motorsports

The Frances meet their match. No doubt overpaid for the property they now can't use too.:laugh:

nrc
12-05-06, 02:16 PM
I wonder if the Frances found out that they're not the only family business around.

chop456
12-05-06, 02:21 PM
^ How funny would that be? :laugh:

"Stupid poetic justice!"

RusH
12-05-06, 03:16 PM
I feel bad for the Daytona Mafia.....Not.

Then again, I did not live too far from there once and I probably would have been for it. Funny how nobody saved them the trouble by explaining how NYC politics work.
There is still a hole in the ground at 1 and 2 WTC as exhibit A.

Andrew Longman
12-05-06, 03:22 PM
"Due to the considerable interest and support for NASCAR racing in the region, we remain committed to the pursuit of a motorsports entertainment facility development in the nation's number one media market," she said. "We believe a facility in this area represents a significant long-term opportunity for our company, and is one component of several broader strategic growth opportunities ahead for ISC."

I wonder if they would reconsider closing Nazareth. Probably not because of the proximity to Pocono, but they aren't any more likely to put a track in anywhere else close in to NYC. Nazareth is also only an hour or so from Philly.

Staten Island kind of made sense in terms of open land and access to the city and Northern NJ and CT. Long Island has some open space but you literally can't get there most days because of traffic on and off the island and even on a good day its a haul from the rest of the metro area.

What's funny is this myopic obsession NASCAR has with the LA and NYC market because they are media centers and because it gives them "legitamacy". The fact is 95% of the people in those markets don't give a crap about NASCAR (check the local ratings) and 95% of NASCAR fans would rather see a race from Darlington than NYC or Fontana.

If they really have to do it, buy the old Flemington Fairgrounds and put up a track there. They've bulldozed the old track and historic grandstand but they haven't started to build the Lowes and Walmart yet. They could even recreate the old "circle square" in an old throwback theme to try to recapture some of their NASCAR roots that they seem determined to lose.

oddlycalm
12-05-06, 03:28 PM
Seeing the Frances take a kick to the groin from a system where the deck is even more stacked than their own is a rare pleasure indeed. :rofl:

No price is too high when it comes to the honor of owning a former tank farm with all the associated environmental baggage. Excavating and hauling all the soil wasn't such a big deal when they were going to need to do it anyway to build the track. But now that there won't be a track.... :eek:

oc

Andrew Longman
12-05-06, 03:33 PM
No price is too high when it comes to the honor of owning a former tank farm with all the associated environmental baggage.

oc

They'll be left with about an $85M write off... assuming they can ever sell it. Around here that will take, oh, about forever.

Accipiter
12-05-06, 06:15 PM
I wonder if the Frances found out that they're not the only family business around.

They wouldn't stand in the way of a major construction project. They would just make it much more expensive once it got started.