PDA

View Full Version : Rules Changes

nrc
04-23-03, 01:26 AM
New rules changes for Brands Hatch. Single car qualifying and elimination of pit stop windows.

http://www.cart.com/News/Article.asp?ID=5872

It's not clear whether the single car qualifying will be ongoing. Seems like it will take some of the interest out of qualifying with only one car circulating at a time.

The other change goes into effect on race day, as Champ Car management and its teams agreed to revoke the mandatory pit windows for the Brands Hatch event. The pit windows have been replaced for the event by a rule that states that each car must complete two pit stops under green-flag conditions. The green-flag service must include a four-tire change in order to count toward the two mandatory stops. Teams may pit under caution periods at will, but can only add fuel to the car, and can only have two team members over the wall during a yellow-flag stop.

Lizzerd
04-23-03, 02:23 AM
I proposed the exact pit rule in a thread a couple moons ago. Minimum requirement for stops and four tires, but only under green to they count, and that yellow stops could be had at will.

I can't assume that CART took my idea, but I feel lIek a jeanYus now.

RaceChic
04-23-03, 06:49 AM
What's wrong with your jeans, Lizzerd???? :confused: :confused: :confused:

WickerBill
04-23-03, 06:55 AM
Two things:

1. they're muddying up the "green flag only" idea with all the caviats they've thrown in there. Two people over the wall? No tires under yellow? What if you cut down a tire and caused the yellow? What kind of penalty is there if you have 3 guys over the wall? I don't want to see yellow flag stops start looking like NASCAR stops, where Bubba (or in this case, Pierre) has to change the RF then the LF tire.

2. I would imagine single-car qualifying is due to the very short "Indy" circuit.

WB

Hink
04-23-03, 03:27 PM
I'm one to not care much about the pit rules, but as far as single car quals I hope this is Brands Hatch only.

This race could be pretty cool depending on how the leaders get through traffic. If it's possible for them to do it will be interesting, sort of like the old short oval races pre-"stupid" wing rules.

JLMannin
04-23-03, 04:01 PM
If lapping proves to be difficult, when the leaders get behind slower traffic and they are in the pit window and the track is green, they may make the pit stop in hopes of clear track ahead.

Now that pit stragety is more of a factor, look for pit stragety master Jim McGee to work some magic.

DaveL
04-23-03, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by WickerBill
No tires under yellow? What if you cut down a tire and caused the yellow

I would like to think that CART, like any other series with similar rules (eg BGN which limits teams to 3 sets of tires for yellow flag stops) makes an exception if your cut tire caused the yellow.

It's much ado about nothing.

I am very happy the mandatory pit windows are gone.

nrc
04-25-03, 08:43 PM
I think allowing fuel under the yellow is probably intended to avoid people running out under yellow. It will be interesting to see how that plays. Would it still be worthwhile for a team at the back to come in under yellow and top up to extend their window? Is there any benefit to that if they're going to be forced to stop under green eventually.

I'm sure they'll allow cars that aren't driveable to come into the pits under yellow as long as they don't gain any advantage from it.

More rules changes aimed at cutting costs here:
http://www.cart.com/News/Article.asp?ID=5878

This is the end of "spare" cars as we know them.
The teams will also designate a primary car, which will go through technical inspection Thursday afternoon, and will not be allowed to run a spare car unless the primary car is damaged beyond repair, as determined by the Champ Car Stewards. If the car is damaged before qualifying, the spare car may be used without penalty. If the spare car is needed at any time after qualifying is completed, the car will start the race at the rear of the field, regardless of where the team qualified. The spare cars, will be available for the fans in the paddock to view them, a hallmark of Champ Car’s fans-first approach. The spare car rule will go into effect beginning with the event in Milwaukee.

They will also limit each team's race crew to 15 people and freeze all aerodynamic specifications and components as of May 20, 2003, locking them in for 2003 and 2004.

Railbird
04-25-03, 10:21 PM
mark me down as another that is glad to see the mandatory windows gone.

Hope the single car quals are Brand's only

The rest?

ah, we'll see